FishDuck Article

The Oregon Brand is BACK and is No Longer Chip Kelly’s Legacy

You are nodding in agreement from the title and you know where I’m going with this, although I admit that I wish to get the conversation begun in the only forum-with-decorum among all Oregon websites, the Our Beloved Ducks forum. (If you have not checked it out–you should, and look at all the Oregon Sports News posted for you) You ...

FISHDUCK.COM

You are nodding in agreement from the title and you know where I'm going with this, although I admit that I wish to get the conversation begun...

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I've been thinking a lot this weekend about the post Kelly regression and now progression of the Duck offense.

It seems to me things have come full circle -  like a space ship gaining speed on it's trip to another planet by using the force of gravity while going around the dark side of the moon (Helfrich, Taggart, Cristobal years).

Chip shows the football world how speed and innovation can change the game.

Lineman can be big and fast, not just tall and fat. The football world is skeptical, but the results were undeniable.

Then Saban consults with Kelly. We see more teams buying into Kelly's ideas but with 5 star players.

SEC linemen start to look stronger and faster and they have more stamina.

Dual threat QBs are vital.

Cristobal worked under Saban. So he had SEC exposure. 

Mario comes to Eugene and recruited very well to bring higher rated prospects to Oregon, but without the high octane play calling.

Oregon gets more SEC coaches and an SEC QB transfer that has taken an offense to a new level with an amazing and diverse talent complimented by a defense that is deep and talented, as well.

It seems the Oregon-Kelly-SEC-Oregon circle has the program headed in the right direction and better than Kelly left it after going around the long and dark side of the moon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank our lucky stars that the Oregon Brand is entertaining and exciting to watch again! I'm as happy as a Duck can be!

Thank you for another wonderful article Mr. FishDuck.  I'm looking forward to learning more about Coach Dillingham's offense in future articles.  

This site is the best place to read about Oregon Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2022 at 7:09 AM, nw777b said:

I've been thinking a lot this weekend about the post Kelly regression and now progression of the Duck offense.

It seems to me things have come full circle -  like a space ship gaining speed on it's trip to another planet by using the force of gravity while going around the dark side of the moon (Helfrich, Taggart, Cristobal years).

Chip shows the football world how speed and innovation can change the game.

Lineman can be big and fast, not just tall and fat. The football world is skeptical, but the results were undeniable.

Then Saban consults with Kelly. We see more teams buying into Kelly's ideas but with 5 star players.

SEC linemen start to look stronger and faster and they have more stamina.

Dual threat QBs are vital.

Cristobal worked under Saban. So he had SEC exposure. 

Mario comes to Eugene and recruited very well to bring higher rated prospects to Oregon, but without the high octane play calling.

Oregon gets more SEC coaches and an SEC QB transfer that has taken an offense to a new level with an amazing and diverse talent complimented by a defense that is deep and talented, as well.

It seems the Oregon-Kelly-SEC-Oregon circle has the program headed in the right direction and better than Kelly left it after going around the long and dark side of the moon.

Kelley left with a team good enough to go to playoffs.  Just saying.  

On 10/31/2022 at 7:22 AM, debbieduck said:

Kelley left with a team good enough to go to playoffs.  Just saying.  

Nobody disputes that, and the article was not about that at all.  Just saying.

Mr. FishDuck

Great article Charles, thank you!  I look forward to the off-season breakdowns by you and Coach Boles.  They will definitely lighten up the long dark season of no football!

My biggest concern is keeping Coach Dilly for the foreseeable future.  While he is bringing back the Oregon brand, the man is making himself a hot property.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kelly just got schooled by a head coach coaching his seventh game. That same head coach is putting together a great recruiting class. After guys who don't fit the new system portal out and are replaced with guys that do fit, this team should slide right into that #4-5 position and be in the playoff conversation every year.

They look like they made the best coaching hire in the country last year. The new coach brought in the best offensive coordinator available, the in coming recruiting class may have the best QB, receiver and running back in the country. I'd even say we'll win the portal wars this year and win them big.

All I see is UO stock going up up up at a rapid rate. I see UCLA stock plateauing and receding, I see Miami stock in a dumpster fire. The UO looks to me to be on the most optimal path moving forward that they can be.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Great article. Total agree on everything.  As much as I'm grateful for Coach Kelly and what he did for Oregon it's long been time to move on from those days. I think the UCLA win turned the page for the program and now they can start looking forward instead of holding on to the past. The balanced offense approach looks great instead of just speed all the time. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/31/2022 at 7:58 AM, PittDuck said:

Great article Charles, thank you!  I look forward to the off-season breakdowns by you and Coach Boles.  They will definitely lighten up the long dark season of no football!

My biggest concern is keeping Coach Dilly for the foreseeable future.  While he is bringing back the Oregon brand, the man is making himself a hot property.

Ditto @PittDuck

I'm also concerned about our QB situation next year, but I'm trying to enjoy this season and hope for the best.

Put CO away early and get the backups a lot of reps!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2022 at 7:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Nobody disputes that, and the article was not about that at all.  Just saying.

I was simply replying to the part where it was said it’s now better than Kelley left it.  We went to a title game twice thanks to Kelley.  And he left us a title team.  

I do think it’s a bit early to be saying we are back as a title contender because we beat UCLA in Eugene in the rain by 10. 

I just don’t see the need to bash other teams?  
And we may play Kelley again in the sunshine and not in Eugene.  

Love watching the Ducks again.  Hoping the coaches all stay and that Bo returns for another year 

• Applause 1

On 10/31/2022 at 8:38 AM, debbieduck said:

I do think it’s a bit early to be saying we are back as a title contender because we beat UCLA in Eugene in the rain by 10. 

With the Ducks leading the Pac and #8 in the polls at 7-1, I'd say they are contending for a title (or at least a playoff spot) right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have always viewed this as a Phil and Penny Knight brand. Between those two and Mullins, Oregon athletics is top notch across-the-board. 

• Thumbs Up 1

OBD: Our Beloved Ducks and Oregon Brand Ducks.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey Fish, I'm curious with your Large Brain acumen in analyzing Football. Much has been mentioned with Bo and his lackluster play at Au-tanned during his tenure. Bo has made mention that he was basically hamstrung in that offense by the coaching staff. Now Bo is making a run for the Heisman. 

Can you take a look and see how Bo was held back with such lackluster play? Sure, its a load, but I deeply respect your analysis along with other knowledgeable posters here.

Has Bo always been this good and the Coaches didn't know how to use the tools in their tool box or.....?

On 10/31/2022 at 8:57 AM, 1Funduck said:

Hey Fish, I'm curious with your Large Brain acumen in analyzing Football. Much has been mentioned with Bo and his lackluster play at Au-tanned during his tenure. Bo has made mention that he was basically hamstrung in that offense by the coaching staff. Now Bo is making a run for the Heisman. 

Can you take a look and see how Bo was held back with such lackluster play? Sure, its a load, but I deeply respect your analysis along with other knowledgeable posters here.

Has Bo always been this good and the Coaches didn't know how to use the tools in their tool box or.....?

No Bo used to play in a conference that played defense

Obviously not Charles but one factor I've read is at Auburn Nix was expected to run the play that came in from the sidelines.  No deviation, run the play we called.  Don't like the defensive alignment you're facing, run the play, make it work.  One example

"This is by far the most. In the past, I haven't really been able to check plays," he said of his time at Auburn. "What has been called, we're running no matter what... Some coaches are like that. They want to know where the ball is going, and I don't blame them. Sometimes you can get a quarterback who goes crazy with it.

247SPORTS.COM

Bo Nix has earned more pre-snap freedom from Kenny Dillingham

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2022 at 8:57 AM, 1Funduck said:

I appreciate your kind thoughts, but I spent 10 hours yesterday working on FishDuck related duties and have no time for that...

The easy answer we have all read often is that Bo did not have the offensive line, and the weapons at the skill players that he has at Oregon this year.  I would also suggest that he did not have the explosive scheme at Auburn that he has at Oregon.  Not to mention how the offense is designed around his skills.

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/31/2022 at 11:57 AM, 1Funduck said:

I'm not FishDuck and don't claim his knowledge, but there is a difference between Bo running to gain yards and score touchdowns at Oregon and Bo running for his life at Auburn.

That said, Bo looked like a great young QB his first year with Dillingham as the OC. They seemed to work well together then and now they are back together.

My hope is that this works because Dilly uses the talents of players he has to their max. Put Bo in a drop back passer offense and he would be stifled. 

Next year if Bo is not around, maybe we see the offense working a little differently with a new guy. This O is definitely tailored to Bo's strengths.

Great article Fish! 

As I've been watching football around the country, one thing is for certain right now. No team in college football is more fun to watch than the Oregon Ducks!

That's what made so many of us who had no real connection with the program fans a while ago (before Chip actually for me).

Oregon football is fun to watch again! Woohoo, let's go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2022 at 9:07 AM, McDuck said:

Obviously not Charles but one factor I've read is at Auburn Nix was expected to run the play that came in from the sidelines.  No deviation, run the play we called.  Don't like the defensive alignment you're facing, run the play, make it work.  One example

"This is by far the most. In the past, I haven't really been able to check plays," he said of his time at Auburn. "What has been called, we're running no matter what... Some coaches are like that. They want to know where the ball is going, and I don't blame them. Sometimes you can get a quarterback who goes crazy with it.

247SPORTS.COM

Bo Nix has earned more pre-snap freedom from Kenny Dillingham

The UGA game Dilly showed lots of pre-snap shifts and motion and I liked what he was doing with that. What's even better is a QB who can change the play at the line according to the pre-snap look the defense is giving you. 

It's a numbers game and you want an extra man at the point of attack if you're the offense. It's obvious Bo and Dilly have gone through game film and Bo has built a trust with Dilly. Bo understands Dilly's scheme and how Dilly wants to attack.

It probably started as simple early in the year as Dilly asking Bo if you watch film of this play, and could make a pre-snap check to another play what would you run? It's progressed from there to Bo having a good grasp of what Dilly would switch the play to at the pre-snap read. 

For Dilly when your QB can get you out of a play pre-snap into a play that gives you numbers, then you're loving it. Maybe it's not the play you would choose to run, but if it's still a better play if get you numbers at the point of attack, you take it. 

If you pay attention now you can see at times Bo goes to the line and the end of line and calls out the WRs. Bo's even waving his arms and points to the WRs. where they need to go. You will then see a pre-snap shift to a new formation - that's Bo changing the play. We might do another pre-snap shift or motion before the snap - but that's just part of the new play Bo got us into. 

I expect as the season goes on and Bo keeps building trust with Dilly, we will see more of Bo checking to different plays. It's not hard to imagine post game film of Dilly saying that play check was good and safe, it put us in a higher probability of a positive play, and we got one. But I'd like to see you consider being more aggressive and trying to burn them for a big play. 

Think about how Peyton Manning played QB. Each play he came to the line and checked the defense trying to make sure he felt he was going to run the best play he could for what he saw. I'm not saying we are going to see Bo at that level, but Dilly don't want him running plays into the defense where they have the numbers. 

Another big factor with Bo is the OL gives him the time to stay in the pocket and set his feet in his throws. Something Bo didn't have consistently before. You are seeing Bo driving the ball with some zip at times and making some big-time throws. Yes, Bo has floated some deep balls. He was outside the pocket against Cal and could have set his feet on a ball he bounced to the WR in the first quarter. 

But for the most part Bo has been setting his feet and driving the ball down the field on the throws he needs to, something he didn't do as well before. Bo is also throwing the ball away more than he used to and coming back the next play to attack the defense. 

Lastly, Bo really understands this offense, the plays and WR routes. More than a few times he has broken out of the pocket under pressure and was looking like he was going to run. I've seen defenders coming up because they thought he was running and Bo at the last-minute find an open WR. 

Bo is really good knowing when he is flushed where is WRs routes are and has made that play on the run just before he crosses the line of scrimmage on the run. I've seen Bo make this play plenty of times. He could have run for a gain, but he found the WR for a better gain.

That's knowing the routes and great vison - and it makes him even more dangerous than his already is on the run and throwing off platform. 

So, in conclusion. Bo is checking pre-snap into better plays. He is staying in the pocket without happy feet and driving the ball with zip better. He is throwing the ball away and not forcing it as much. He has uncanny running ability and off platform throwing ability and is even better with his vison finding the open WR. 

Bo has improved his weak spots and his strengths 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

On 10/31/2022 at 8:38 AM, debbieduck said:

I was simply replying to the part where it was said it’s now better than Kelley left it.  We went to a title game twice thanks to Kelley.  And he left us a title team.  

I just don’t see the need to bash other teams?  
And we may play Kelley again in the sunshine and not in Eugene.  

Love watching the Ducks again.  Hoping the coaches all stay and that Bo returns for another year 

The Ducks are better. But most all of CFB play has improved thanks to people like Kelly. I wasn't disparaging Kelly. 

I think Chip will always get credit for a high-octane Oregon offense regardless of who is coaching it and what the nuances are, and I am fine with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is what I think...