Babyjesus615

Seven McGee Entering Transfer Portal

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

McGee, who did not travel with the No. 8 Ducks to last weekend’s game at Cal, is not with the team and will enter the transfer portal when the transfer window opens

I think this was more or less coming; as sad as it is to read. We have an abundance of wealth at the two positions he plays.

What other positions can you think of where losing someone to the portal is almost guaranteed?

Edited by Babyjesus615
  • Go Ducks! 1

I’m really surprised to see Seven go. Players have to adjust to sharing the rock in this offense which has to be more difficult for those further down the pecking order.

I noticed Nix had serious words for McGee in the UCLA game after what I assume was some sort of miscommunication between the two after a play. It will be interesting to see what his reasoning for leaving at this point in what appears to be a great season for the team. I wish him nothing but the brightest of futures.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good luck to him and anyone else that leaves. Never could figure out all the jumping around he did in high school. Not going to speculate but I hope he can settle in one place and find his path.

• Thumbs Up 4

The grass is green where you water it. He is a part of something special and can't get the "I" off of his chest long enough to help elevate the team. It's probably for the best as the team doesn't need someone naysaying what the coaches feel is best. They obviously know what is working. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wish him well, he has seemed to be really struggling the past month or so via social media. 

The Portal doesn't open until after the Bowl Selections, Thats FIVE MORE GAMES if the Ducks make the Pac-12 Championship. 

So, Seven quit in his teammates! What if Hutson goes down with an injury? Well Seven won't be there to step up and help the team.

Moving forward with the Portal if I was a head coach - players who quit their teams before the season would be a red flag for me to take as a transfer. If you quit on your last team, then I don't want you. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 10/31/2022 at 2:14 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

What other positions can you think of where losing someone to the portal is almost guaranteed?

QB next season...and I'm afraid Cardwell is gone too 😞  Just hoping we can keep Thornton on roster and get him playing next season. I think with Cota and Chapman leaving, we'll need him to step into a starting role alongside Franklin and Hutson (with Kasper, Lowe and Dickey pushing him)

On 10/31/2022 at 1:02 PM, DazeNconfused said:

So, Seven quit in his teammates! What if Hutson goes down with an injury? Well Seven won't be there to step up and help the team.

Donte Thorton takes Hutson's place at that point. 

We have depth and I'm not that worried. 

But it isn't a good look. I think it looks even worse this year than last year when Pittman left the team when he did because at least Pittman could enter the transfer portal. McGee is leaving just to sit out and wait at this point. He could be working hard to get himself in the rotation and then choose to leave once the window opened. It's just modern college football.

• Thumbs Up 3

I should get all the facts about why Seven is leaving before I comment about him. Good luck young man. Wish you well

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 10/31/2022 at 9:03 PM, Wrathis said:

QB next season...and I'm afraid Cardwell is gone too 😞  Just hoping we can keep Thornton on roster and get him playing next season. I think with Cota and Chapman leaving, we'll need him to step into a starting role alongside Franklin and Hutson (with Kasper, Lowe and Dickey pushing him)

Sorry to see McGee leave under these circumstances. I think all were hoping he'd be the next DeAnthony. Never showed that insane shimmy and field vision that DAT had. Best if luck wherever he goes, but bailing mid season doesn't set well.

Good group behind the current starters with some high value freshmen WRs coming in. Along with Dickey, 4☆ Cozart coming. I'll bet there will be some high quality transfer that will want to play in Dilly's offense. All were concerned when Dye went to U$C and CJ tried to land with the NFL, but that seems to have worked out ok.

Since Seven is no longer on the team, the restrictions about not going personal on a current player or coach no longer applies.  But my friends...we have no idea what the truth is.  While I will allow the comments, it makes me flinch.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Up until this season, I had thought of Seven as the potential DAT 2022. But, it appears the juice was just not there. I don't see the team missing him, but as always, wish him the best; the Portal can be a bit like the Bermuda Triangle.

Evidently he was either a piece that didn't fit, or an extra piece not needed.  Or maybe the effort and commitment wasn't there enough to suit the coaches.  

We'll likely never know but it wasn't likely because he didn't have the talent to make this team.  Good luck to him.  Just hope he doesn't transfer to another school in the Pac.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2022 at 12:40 PM, latracey said:

I’m really surprised to see Seven go. Players have to adjust to sharing the rock in this offense which has to be more difficult for those further down the pecking order.

I noticed Nix had serious words for McGee in the UCLA game after what I assume was some sort of miscommunication between the two after a play. It will be interesting to see what his reasoning for leaving at this point in what appears to be a great season for the team. I wish him nothing but the brightest of futures.

Agreed, like Pittman, leaving midseason screams quitter and ME guy. Even if you plan to transfer why not get better, practice, work out, get treatment, take classes and get better for the next stop?

who knows. Hudson gets hurt or gets a case of the ddddrops and suddenly he is starting and still building a resume or possibly never looking back and continuing to making plays. He eliminated options, had no deadline, and now looks like a quitter. 

Any guy joined my team after quitting mid season I’d be leery. Best of luck regardless but not his finest hour. 

On 10/31/2022 at 12:40 PM, latracey said:

Edited by Chas Man

On 10/31/2022 at 1:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Since Seven is no longer on the team...

I think that's the key word - something is wrong with him.  Maybe he got disciplined for doing something.   Time (or He) will tell.

Edited by DuckFan93

Too bad it didn't work out for him, I wouldn't think his situation was bad enough to make him quit the team mid-season, but I don't know the details so i don't judge.

I was hoping the new transfer window rules would eliminate or reduce mid-season departures, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

Seven McGee to enter transfer portal, leave the Oregon Ducks football program

McGee has had a frustrating season in Eugene, where reports are that his usage rate in the offense was

far below what he expected it to be.

He had grown displeased as the season went on, and expressed that with his teammates and coaches.

It ultimately led to him leaving the program and entering the transfer portal.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

We can now confirm a report that Oregon WR Seven McGee will leave the Ducks’ program and enter the transfer portal.

Report: Oregon receiver Seven McGee to enter transfer portal

McGee came to Oregon as a running back, and played there sparingly as true freshman before making a midseason switch to receiver.

This season, he was expected to be in the mix for playing time and compete with Kris Hutson for the starting job at slot receiver.

But he has played just 101 snaps throughout Oregon’s first eight games, which ranks fifth among Oregon receivers

and well behind starters Chase Cota (412), Troy Franklin (410), and Hutson (296).

WWW.ON3.COM

According to a report, Oregon receiver Seven McGee is no longer with the Oregon program and is expected to enter the transfer...

There was 7.

But then come 11.

Screenshot_20221031_141954.png

Since Seven is no longer on the team, the restrictions about not going personal on a current player or coach no longer applies.  But my friends...we have no idea what the truth is.  While I will allow the comments, it makes me flinch.

EDIT.. I want to acknowledge I come off as unsympathetic to Seven and any personal turmoil he may be going through that led to his transfer. I could be possibly jumping to conclusions without knowing the whole story. I guess I'm just the type that feel there is no legitimate reason to quit on your commitment to the team no matter how unhappy you are. This may come off as harsh to some, I understand that. 

I wish the Seven the best of luck, but I can still be disappointed in him. 

Quitting on his team mid-season 5 games before the Portal opens,  "chaps my backside". Seven took a Scholly some other kid would have been happy to have and be a role player, or run on the scout team offense, and be working to get better. 

Quitting like this makes me even wonder how committed Seven is about working to get better? 

I coached a HS prep baseball team with a selected 12 player roster limit and had a player take a double length spring break vacation. The fact he and his family took a roster spot and then wanted to have less of a commitment to the team than the others was enough for me to want to send the kid back down to another level. 

On the flip I'd show up early to work with one of my worse players who would work his tail off and at one point moved up to the 3 -4 spot in the order from the bottom of the order. 

Call me old school but commitment to your team and improving your skills still carries huge weight to me. I like these new Portal rules and I think coaches are going to take a real hard look at the kids who didn't stick the year out with the team. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2022 at 2:14 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

He had grown displeased as the season went on, and expressed that with his teammates and coaches.

It ultimately led to him leaving the program and entering the transfer portal.

If he was vocal about his frustration and leaving that may explain the departure announcement timing.  The coaching staff may not want that in the locker room.

Best of luck to the young man.  He has had his share of obstacles to overcome.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just a word on this.

Seven McGee is still listed on the GoDucks Roster.

GODUCKS.COM

The official 2022 Football Roster for the University of Oregon Ducks

On 10/31/2022 at 1:03 PM, Wrathis said:

QB next season...and I'm afraid Cardwell is gone too

Agreed. I think Cardwell is gone already (mentally) but staying on the team to practice and preserve redshirt. 

I think Butters is gone next year and I could even see him as a Beaver. The Beavs  are a QB away from being a very serious threat in the PAC.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Seven had just enough talent to go with his over inflated ego to make the hype machine turn.

But, he didn't have enough talent to keep it turning. It was an insult to DAT to ever compare the two.

I wish him well. He could do fine at a slightly lower level. But, I foresee him and his ego taking up space at USC, Miami, or ND. Those are the types of programs that will cater to his ego for a bit and then place him on special teams where his talents belong.

Adios Siete. Te rindes.

On 10/31/2022 at 2:25 PM, McDuck said:

The coaching staff may not want that in the locker room.

Really good point.  We have something special going...let's not let one malcontent change the vibe....

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/31/2022 at 2:34 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Agreed. I think Cardwell is gone already (mentally) but staying on the team to practice and preserve redshirt. 

I think Butters is gone next year and I could even see him as a Beaver. The Beavs  are a QB away from being a very serious threat in the PAC.

I could see Seven on the Beav team as well. Beavs seem to like his type of athleticism. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2022 at 1:46 PM, cartm25 said:

Sean Dollars looks like the most dynamic athlete in space, IMO for the Ducks. He regularly breaks ankles. 

My money is on Whittington. The last three weeks, he has been showing up Bucky, typically getting fewer touches.  The Cal game, they got the same amount of turns, running the ball, but Whittington rushed for twice as many yards as Bucky.  He has been averaging more yards per carry, but Bucky is more productive, receiving the ball.

Should Whittington get some consideration to start over Bucky at RB?

Maybe, I'm getting ahead of myself, because Bucky has had to do more of the heavy lifting.  He normally takes those 1st down snaps to open the game and soften up the defense, when the Ducks are trying establish an offensive rhythm.

• Great post! 1

You know, there’s always, ALWAYS going to be that handful of players on any team that mature slower than others, and have a harder time growing out of that image of themselves from high school when they could do no wrong. Most work through it with the help of team mates, and the encouraging advice of coaches and family.

But, all you can do is wish those well who aren’t quite ready yet to embrace the time, effort and commitment it takes to achieve at this level.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah. I work with people who are struggling and the backstories are always complex in ways impossible to see from the outside. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Dan Lanning - On Seven McGee: “He’s no longer with us.” Wishes him the best.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Follow live updates from tonight's press conference

On 10/31/2022 at 2:02 PM, DazeNconfused said:

What if Hutson goes down with an injury?

I think Dollars would be great at the position maybe better than Hutson as he's got moves after the catch.

Edited by Dave23

While I will allow the comments, it makes me flinch.

Agreed and it may not even be "player drama" behind the decision so I will refrain from saying anything bad about him.  The downside of when a team gels like Oregon's starters are now is that players that don't gel may feel like they are on the outside of the group looking in. 

I personally don't understand why a player would choose to sit out the remainder of the season rather than keep practicing and developing but it likely had to be something significant enough that he decided to give up football until the spring.

The truth is we will loose some great players to the portal but we will probably pick up even better players.  The portal is here to stay and at least with the window Oregon knows they have a scholarship ready for another transfer or recruit.  Oregon's brand is only getting stronger and there are great players who were never even recruited by Oregon that just might deserve a shot to play here.

In my mind, those who choose no longer to be Ducks are no longer Ducks the moment they make that decision.  I don't hate them or wish bad thing to happen to their careers, but I don't particularly care where they end up or how they do.  We'll ride with the players who want to be here.

And frankly, I don't much care why someone chooses to leave.  It's their choice.  Just like kids who transfer from Nebraska or UW or anywhere else - were they disappointed in the scheme at their old program?  Didn't see a path to playing time?  Think they're better than they really are?  Doesn't matter - if you can contribute to the team, welcome aboard.  I'll trust the coaches to decide who belongs here and who doesn't; who deserves playing time and who doesn't.

So whether a guy has a huge ego that isn't being fed, doesn't like the weather, can't cut it in the classroom, doesn't fit the culture, misses his family, thinks he'll be a star somewhere else, is going through some personal problems, or anything else, thanks for the time you spent here, good luck in your future...and buh bye.  

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2022 at 6:44 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Yeah. I work with people who are struggling and the backstories are always complex in ways impossible to see from the outside. 

Thank you for serving, @lownslowav8r.

This reminds me of, arguably, the best offensive lineman to play in the NFL - Larry Allen.

I was thinking about him this weekend while musing about how Chip Kelly chose faster lineman over heavy linemen. Larry was fast! Search youtube for his highlights.

I lived in Rohnert Park, CA when he played at Sonoma State. I never went to a game, but the Santa Rosa Press Democrat had an amazing write up after he wowed NFL scouts.

I would watch the Cowboys to watch him.

His backstory is frightening to me, but now he's in the Hall of Fame. One writer calls it the Compton to Canton story.

If you like to read, check out the Wikipedia page and the resource links at the bottom.

EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

• Like 1

As mentioned several times, the transfer portal isn't open until after bowl games, so how is he entering it now?

I hope Seven the best.  However, I also hope the team doesn't allow him to be anywhere team facilities.  He can go use the gym where all the other nonathlete students.

The first question in Lanning's press availability was about Seven.  As his smile faded he gave a terse “He’s no longer with us. I wish him nothing but the best moving forward, but I won’t speak on it any more than that.”.  

I'm not sure it was completely McGee's decision on timing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/1/2022 at 8:44 AM, Tandaian said:

As mentioned several times, the transfer portal isn't open until after bowl games, so how is he entering it now?

I think this is kind phrasing for he's no longer with the team. It sounds like this decision is mutual. A mutual decision is a kind way of saying a disgruntled player has been removed from the team.

• Thumbs Up 2

This! I wish only the best for this young man. He was signed under another coach, came anyway, it hasn't worked out for him and he's moving on.

Best of luck Seven!

Whether or not Seven is actually  in the portal or awaiting to be, it’s interesting to consider how this player-empowerment device can also have the unexpected consequence of limiting the potential of a disruptive influence on teams to the time required to make the transfer as opposed to the way it use to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, OhioDuck said:

I agree a player should not quit mid-season.

On 11/1/2022 at 12:57 PM, nw777b said:

You are welcome to state your opinion and so is everyone else. 

Absolutely.

This is the only place where you can state something "out-there," and people still have to be nice to you!  

Mr. FishDuck

Does anyone know if 7 played enough games to burn a redshirt year? Could explain why he is leaving the team now. If he has already torched a year of eligibility, then leaving is a bit more problematic.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2022 at 4:37 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Does anyone know if 7 played enough games to burn a redshirt year? Could explain why he is leaving the team now. If he has already torched a year of eligibility, then leaving is a bit more problematic.

According to a Duckswire article noted above, Seven has played in 6 games, won't qualify for redshirting.

I know Lanning was quoted as saying "Seven is no longer with us." But the transfer portal doesn't actually open till Dec. 01 to the 15th.  He said he was going once before - was talked out of it by Lanning and Dilly and changed his mind.  So who knows really what's gonna happen in a month?  

Too bad - I liked the young man and thought he could be a game-changer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could be completely off base but........

Having been forced to use the phrase “ < insert name > is no longer with us” in my past business life, i recognize the code words.

Yes ... the shorter the "organizational announcement" the more negative the situation. When you retire in good standing the emails are long and positive. You may even get multiple going away parties.

When something bad happens it is usually "John has left to explore other opportunities" and there are no get togethers. It is pretty much "don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out of here."

Edited by Smith72
Profanity changed
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2022 at 7:45 AM, Flyin Vee said:

I could be completely off base but........

Having been forced to use the phrase “ < insert name > is no longer with us” in my past business life, i recognize the code words.

Meaning ... he leaves under a cloud?  Could be right, might not be.

I'd caution fans making assumptions.  Lanning is a man of few words as compared to loquaciousness.    I'm holding out hope for Seven 'cause I like to see the best in people and not the worst.  That said, something caused him to be left at home last Saturday.  Might have been his own decision.

• Applause 1

MIKEFARRELLSPORTS.COM

Michael Black provides us with an update on the latest developments with the Seven McGee situation.

I did see this regarding what may have occurred regarding his departure.