Steven A

Why Oregon Could Be the Most Interesting Team in College Football Playoff Race

WWW.ESPN.COM

After losing 49-3 to Georgia, Oregon was all but an afterthought. But since then, the Ducks have rallied behind Dan Lanning, so how might the CFP committee evaluate them?

• Thumbs Up 2

A ratings driven machine like college football has to love a good story line. The Ducks returning to national prominence with a wonder boy first year head coach, a wonder boy II offensive coordinator and a Heisman Dark horse QB running a dazzling offense make this team must see TV. 12-1 with a 12 game win streak since a game one beat down by the defending national champs practically screams rematch.

It will happen because it has to happen.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is why I love CFB and WILL not like it as much in the coming years. 12 teams in the playoffs just screams 'Watered down'. A conference champion deserves a spot, but a 9-3 team that doesn't win their conference sneaks in over a, mid major, undefeated? Just Yuck!! 

1 team per conference...Period! Your conference play is your playoff seeding. You get 8/9 conference games to prove whether you get to the next round. Why do you need one more potential conference game in the playoffs? You don't. 

12 isn't needed. I could stomach 8. It forms out perfectly and gives the mid majors and Independents 3 slots to fill with Conference championships and top 12-15 ranked independents.

It would/could be billed as 'The Playoff of Champions'.

Prove It and leave It on the field.

But, nobody asked me.

• Like 1

Oregon overtakes USC as Pac-12's best shot to make College Football Playoff

According to ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI), Oregon is now the Pac-12’s best chance to make the College Football Playoff this season.

The predictive model has seen the Ducks just continue to climb with each passing week and each consecutive win,

and it now views Oregon as the eighth-most likely team to make the CFP.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Oregon is now the Pac-12's best chance to make the College Football Playoff this season, according to ESPN's FPI.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2022 at 7:40 AM, 1Funduck said:

This is why I love CFB and WILL not like it as much in the coming years. 12 teams in the playoffs just screams 'Watered down'. A conference champion deserves a spot, but a 9-3 team that doesn't win their conference sneaks in over a, mid major, undefeated? Just Yuck!! 

1 team per conference...Period! Your conference play is your playoff seeding. You get 8/9 conference games to prove whether you get to the next round. Why do you need one more potential conference game in the playoffs? You don't. 

12 isn't needed. I could stomach 8. It forms out perfectly and gives the mid majors and Independents 3 slots to fill with Conference championships and top 12-15 ranked independents.

It would/could be billed as 'The Playoff of Champions'.

Prove It and leave It on the field.

But, nobody asked me.

I've  questioned the need for anything beyond an 8 team playoff since the discussion began.

There is no need to go beyond a P5 auto qualifier from each conference,  plus 3 at large qualifiers

• Go Ducks! 1

I expect u of spoiled children to loose to UCLA. If the Ducks could win out that would put them in a good spot to go to the 4 team playoff if some help was available from the teams ranked above them. I expect Georgia and Clemson to win out but the rest is still up in the air to me. Anything could happen for sure.

That’s assuming of coarse the Ducks win out. Not an easy task.

Edited by Just Ducky

Here's the rub, after this sat, UT or UGA will also be a one loss team.

Mich. plays tOSU last game of season, so potentially one of them will also be a one loss team.

Say UT loses, as does Mich. 

Say Alabama beats UGA for SEC title.

You would end up with:

Georgia

Tennessee 

Michigan 

Alabama 

Oregon

all as 1 loss teams.

If Clemson stays undefeated its tough to move ahead of all those other 1 loss teams 

Fortunately, there is a lot of football left to play for all those teams, not the least of which is us.

UW, Utah, OSU(at their place) and winner of the LA schools will be all tough games.

What a great season this has turned out to be already.