Pennsylvania Duck

Sources: Gonzaga in Talks With Big 12 About Joining Conference

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark met with Gonzaga athletic director Chris Standiford at the Hyatt in Frisco,

Texas, while the Zags were in the Dallas area to play Tennessee in a scrimmage, according to sources.

The discussions are part of the possibility of a seismic move of the basketball powerhouse

leaving the West Coast Conference for a power conference.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Gonzaga is in talks with the Big 12 about the possibility of joining the conference, sources told ESPN.

Jay Bilas discusses how conference realignment will impact college basketball

Jay Bilas isn’t really bothered by conference realignment. The one big problem that he does see for it in college basketball is the size of the sport.

There are 360 Division I basketball teams, and the balance of power is shifting to further put the bottom-of-the-pack teams at a disadvantage.

Importantly, Jay Bilas does not believe that conference realignment is over. There is more that is going to happen. Exactly what happens

remains to be seen. However, it’s clear to him that more will happen.

This is more proof that the Pac-12 is just postponing the inevitable. Gonzaga has no confidence that league will still be around in 5 years. I agree with that assessment. Oregon has already been in discussion with BIG10 legal with regards to future admission. As soon as the invitation is made the Ducks will seek greener pastures. The only constant in life is change. The future is coming regardless. ScoDucks. 

Zaga is basketball which is a revenue maker... But football is where the big bucks are located. I can't help but feel on this one that this move would benefit Gonzaga more than the big-12. 

Sure it helps big-12 basketball but does nothing to move the foot all needle. 

Also is Gonzaga going to make enough money here to actually make conference realignment profitable? That's a lot of distance traveling. 

Gonzaga as a private school does mean that the media market is more defuse but it is still not that big of a market. 

I think there is a reason that Gonzaga hasn't really made too many PAC conference realignment lists... 

But we will have to wait and see... It is interesting.

• Applause 1

Gonzaga is a Jesuit university. The Pac 12 doesn’t have basketball-only schools nor does it have schools with religious affiliations. So, Gonzaga to the Pac 12 doesn’t make any sense to me.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Gonzaga is a Jesuit university. The Pac 12 doesn’t have basketball-only schools nor does it have schools with religious affiliations. So, Gonzaga to the Pac 12 doesn’t make any sense to me.

The Spokane media market is already covered with WSU 75 miles to the south.  In addition who would be their travel partner?  I'm not sure what monetary value they add.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, dividing up TV money will be interesting to see.  I wonder if Gonzaga will miss out on 100% of football TV money, but maybe they get a deal where they take home a bigger percentage of March Madness Money?  

I think it makes sense to have different leagues for football and basketball and then the rest of sports.  It won't ever happen because of money, but it would make the most sense.

Bob Huggins: Gonzaga in for 'awakening' if it joins Big 12

West Virginia coach Bob Huggins is not convinced that Gonzaga, a powerhouse in recent years, will sustain

its success if it makes the move to the Big 12, one of America's premier leagues in men's college basketball.

WWW.ESPN.COM

West Virginia coach Bob Huggins is not convinced that Gonzaga will sustain its success if it makes the move to the Big 12.

On 11/3/2022 at 9:29 AM, Tandaian said:

I think it makes sense to have different leagues for football and basketball and then the rest of sports.

I can see this potentially being the eventual future. 

I think USC and UCLA would love that to be the case. 

The Zags are living in their Own little world and a move such as this could be the dagger.