DrJacksPlaidPants

Dan Lanning Rumors

I know DL will likely not leave after this year, but he is being mentioned for the Auburn job more and more these past few days. Most recently, this morning on ESPNU Radio on SXM. 

Now, the hosts didn’t think he would leave, but they also thought it could be a way to get a good contract extension. It’s a typical ploy by agents to link their clients to jobs, so that they might get a better contract.

One thing that was brought up was that WHEN he leaves it will be to a much bigger job like Bama or Clemson. Most experts believe that Oregon is not a destination school because of coaches pay and recruiting resources (less travel to recruit). I can’t say I disagree with them.

However, if Oregon wants to be taken seriously then they need to start opening their checkbook to the tune of 8 figures per year. That’s nothing to these big time SEC schools. They know it’s required to stay competitive.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's a bit easier to "open the checkbook" when you're the beneficiary of a MASSIVE media contract and sending 2 teams to the playoff every year.  ESPN has made sure that the SEC (and themselves by proxy) will always be relevant. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's the reality...

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

I would hope he wouldn't leave after one year. I remember his dad saying that Dan is a very loyal person. That would be tough to take have a great young motivated coach and he leaves after one year. Don't see it happening but if it did would sure put a wet blanket on my love for college football. Not to start to day off with negativity but why would I be loyal to one team when many of the players and coaches aren't? It is becoming too much of "every man for himself."

Edited by LADuck
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh boy. Another week, another rumor. Maybe Dilly takes both the ASU and Auburn jobs. Maybe Lanning goes to the NFL and coaches both the Cowboys and the Steelers. Maybe just maybe nothing happens at all.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

We are only eight games into the Dal Lanning Era. I think he is doing a great job and might end up deserving a raise but it's a little early to be held hostage by his agent. Let alone start talking about paying him 8 figures per year!

Especially over the Auburn job. Harsin's contract is apples to apples to Lanning's - they are just around 2 million dollars difference over six years. They both make under 5 million a year and barely over that in the last year. 

Granted Auburn might have to go up in what it's paying - Lane Kiffin is getting just over 7 million with his last extension at Ole Miss. 

But I don't even know if they have the money to pay any coach 10 million.

My understanding is you can count on one hand the coaches getting eight figures or $10 plus million. Saban, Riley, Kelly at LSU, and Dabo. 

The SEC schools in general aren't paying what Mel Trucker and Mario are getting in the $8 million a year range 

I doubt Auburn is going to go after a head coach like Lanning with 8 games under his belt and offer him  Lane Kiffin type money - let alone Mel or Mario money.

Another factor is that Oregon has the #7 team talent and Auburn the #18 according to 247 sports. Laning currently has the #11 class here for 2023 with a 5-star QB who some think is the best in the class. Auburns 2023 class sits at #55 - Lanning would be making a roster down grade and taking on a class he would have to save. Plus, he would be in the SEC West with Bama, LSU, who are way ahead of Auburn in talent and Ole Miss who is right there with Kiffin a proven coach. 

If I'm Oregon AD and Lanning's agent tries to leverage me this year, I'm going to tell him to go fly a kite. I paid your guy what I was paying Mario before he left and gave him more staff money than Mario had. I'll tell him I'm impressed with what Lanning has done, but until he does it again in year #2, we won't be giving him a sizable raise and extension. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/3/2022 at 7:29 AM, DazeNconfused said:

We are only seven games into toe Dal Lanning Era.

The SEC schools in general aren't paying what Mel Trucker and Mario are getting in the $8 million a year range.

Agree. How many big contracts have resulted in big results?

These are dynasty dollars.  Build a dynasty, then get the dollars. (see Saban)

On 11/3/2022 at 7:38 AM, nw777b said:

Agree. How many big contracts have resulted in big results?

These are dynasty dollars.  Build a dynasty, then get the dollars. (see Saban)

I was wrong we are eight games into the Lanning Era. 

Mel Trucker got MSU off to good start and they got overrated in the Top 4 of the first CFP rankings. Then Sparty got all knee jerk and paid him 80 million for 10 years. Sparty finished out of the Top ten last year if I recall right and are 3-5 this year. Mario has the Canes at 4-4 with his garbage offensive scheme that couldn't score a TD last week with Top 100 QB Jake Garcia the backup starting. 

Lanning's out preforming them this year with a more talented roster - does that get him a raise from a six-year 30 million deal to a ten year 80 million deal? I say heck no, let's not follow MSU and the Cane down that rabbit hole

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the administration would rather wait to see how Lanning performs as a head coach after losing a senior led offensive line developed by the previous staff. Or how he adapts after losing Kenny Dillingham. Seen plenty of coaches that come in and scheme up a great game plan week to week with a roster that they didn’t recruit or develop, have success and when those kids leave the coach can’t replicate the recruiting and development. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon is going to give Lanning a raise and probably a new contract extension after this year. If recruiting holds the way it currently is, we will have a solid recruiting class, and his on-field results are excellent so far. Barring some crazy end of season disaster, Lanning is getting paid. 

Also remember... Cristobal was on everyone's list for any open SEC job when he was at Oregon as well. Hell, Cristobal was even on a lot of pundit's lists to go to USC! On the National level we are still treated as a stepping stone job and for the most part we have been so its not a surprise are still being treated that way. 

I do think Mullens and Knight feel like they have their guy and they are going to give him the pay to stay. They will probably be giving Dillingham a pay raise too by the end of the season. 

Keep in mind that Lanning's contract is pretty "cheap" right now not because of his current results but because he is a first year head coach. We got him on the "cheap" because we are giving Lanning the opportunity to be a head coach and build his program. As Lanning continues to prove himself his price tag will go up and I think all the major players are currently satisfied with what they have and are willing to pay. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 8

I think we all crave a return to the continuity we had during the Brooks/Bellotti years, but I'm not sure that's realistic given the ridiculous amount of money being thrown around.

Yeah it sucks to have the national perception of Oregon being a "stepping stone" program and what we're really looking for is the best fit for Oregon, a combination of recruting, on-the-field performance and loyalty to the program.  Granted that's a bit of a tall order, but I feel if we find that person then money won't be an issue because Mullens and Phil will probably come up with it.

Is Lanning that guy?  So far he seems to check all the boxes, but we all remember MC's "kicking and screaming" comments.

A potential problem I see is that Mullens generally takes a graded, progressive approach to rewarding coaches financially.  That could potentially make us vulnerable if a desperate school from the B1G or SEC comes in and waves $10 million/10 years at him.  Are we willing to match?  Good example with Mel Tucker, they may wind up buying him out soon.

Edited by noDucknewby

Auburn is a mess because of fouled up athletic department. Look at the turnover of coaches across their sports. 

If Lanning went, history tells us he most likely would be fired within three years. Assistants and coordinators leave Oregon and usually do well. But Oregon HC’s have always flopped. Every last one of them. 

FISHDUCK.COM

From a couple of bleacher bums, here's a revelation that every Oregon head coach should consider: if you jump ship for a...

• Applause 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:39 AM, noDucknewby said:

A potential problem I see is that Mullens generally takes a graded, progressive approach to rewarding coaches financially.  That could potentially make us vulnerable if a desperate school from the B1G or SEC comes in and waves $10 million/10 years at him.  Are we willing to match?  Good example with Mel Tucker, they may wind up buying him out soon.

I think Mullens and Knight are willing to match. Remember they offered something very close to what Miami offered Cristobal, or it was at least even with the original offer Miami gave because Knight apparently pulled the Oregon offer off the table when Cristobal refused to take it because Knight wasn't going to be used a leverage for Cristobal to get more from Miami. 

I do feel Cristobal would have signed that massive new contract extension if it was anyone BUT Miami that came knocking. Thankfully for all of us it was Miami because I think we would be looking at a 3-4 loss season right now. 

Oregon has the money to pay a coach who is worth it but that price tag does come with a level of loyalty to the program as well. I don't think Mullens and Knight want to get into a bidding war to hold onto a coach. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2022 at 12:19 PM, David Marsh said:

I think Mullens and Knight are willing to match. Remember they offered something very close to what Miami offered Cristobal, or it was at least even with the original offer Miami gave because Knight apparently pulled the Oregon offer off the table when Cristobal refused to take it because Knight wasn't going to be used a leverage for Cristobal to get more from Miami.

Agree, Mullens and Knight was willing to match.  Yes, the offer was pulled for that reason.  I am sure Oregon/Knight will do whatever it takes to keep this coaching staff intact.  Oregon and Knight will be competitive to a point against any school that will try to poach. 

Let's face it, every time a coaching job opens up, the click bait rumors begins.

Let’s not forget that Lanning’s buyout is also $14 million until Jan 15th 2023 if he were to leave the program. Coupled with the $41.5 million Auburn is paying in buyouts for fired coaches and the fact that no coach has lasted at Auburn (even the coaches who led them to national titles/national title games). Yeah, I’m not concerned in the least about Auburn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:19 AM, David Marsh said:

Oregon has the money to pay a coach who is worth it but that price tag does come with a level of loyalty to the program as well. I don't think Mullens and Knight want to get into a bidding war to hold onto a coach. 

Yes, I think this is the crux of the biscuit.  After being leveraged by Taggart and snubbed by MC, loyalty will certainly be rewarded.  The more successful DL becomes, the more offers he's going to get, that's just the nature of the business.  That said no one's making a serious run at Saban or Smart or Whittingham for that matter, so if DL continues to say "pass, not interested" he could indeed be our guy.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It’s like we have brought a hot new date to the party. We shouldn’t get all riled up if they actually talk to someone else. There will always be these types of rumors until a coach falls in love with Oregon, and what we have to offer. 

If DL continues to have success, then Oregon renegotiates his contract. That’s really all we can expect. 

To me, Lanning rumors as well as Dillingham rumors are a bunch of NOISE and personally won't be wasting my time reading or listening to them.  They are in my "life's too short" category.

If, or when it happens, we move on . . . see Chip, Hef, Willie & Mari

And we don't need no media deal to keep coaches, we have Phil et al.  Did any previous coach move on because of money or lack of money for assistants?  That would be a resounding NO!!!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:00 AM, Thornton Hall said:

Coupled with the $41.5 million Auburn is paying in buyouts for fired coaches. 

Wow! Isn't that more than one Pac-1? school receives in shared media revenue?

On 10/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Yeah....I saw that too.  It seems like he is stretching the truth a little with that comment.  Yes, he was on staff after the 4-8 year, but not the guy in charge.  Oregon was putting up 50ppg before Herbert got hurt in Taggart's offense.  I am not sure they would have made it to 10 wins (maybe), but they certainly would have had more than 7.

With Herbert healthy, he didn't really raise the bar very much with the 9 win performance in 2018. Yet somehow he gets all the credit for rebuilding the program.   

On 11/3/2022 at 8:39 AM, noDucknewby said:

I think we all crave a return to the continuity we had during the Brooks/Bellotti years, but I'm not sure that's realistic given the ridiculous amount of money being thrown around.

Yeah it sucks to have the national perception of Oregon being a "stepping stone" program and what we're really looking for is the best fit for Oregon, a combination of recruting, on-the-field performance and loyalty to the program.  Granted that's a bit of a tall order, but I feel if we find that person then money won't be an issue because Mullens and Phil will probably come up with it.

Is Lanning that guy?  So far he seems to check all the boxes, but we all remember MC's "kicking and screaming" comments.

That era of coaches and a whole staff staying at one place feels like a generation ago. Organizations and employee’s don’t  really operate like that anymore. More of an outlier than the norm. TCU got slammed for dumping their HOF Coach but they knew more of what was happening inside the program than outsiders did. Oregon has the resources to compete nationally which is what makes the program so attractive for coaching candidates.

Sometimes their not long for living in Eugene or the northwest. That’s ok. Everyone and their families needs are different. The programs strength is that it has the financial resources to compete nationally so they will always attract great candidates. We always laugh at other programs signing bad contracts but Oregon can’t fall into that trap. They don’t have the luxury of being a part of the BIG10’s media deal. 

• Like 1

Miami would be on the hook for 80 plus million to rid themselves of the coach who shall not be named. 10 year contracts. Our beaver basketball friends are glued to a toxic contract.

no contract should be longer than 4 years, with an annual rollover if parties agree. Add tiered incentives with  crazy money if they win it all. What’s crazy money? I think the amount Miami would have to pay their coach to leave would be fair.

• Like 1

Here is my 2 cents worth:

I believe coach Lanning will stay as long as we want him. He has moved his young family 5 or 6 times already. In his own words he waited for a great opportunity to be head coach. 

He has one.

He will only move if his family is unhappy in the PNW.

Auburn is NOT a better opportunity than Oregon. Too much pressure to win now. Plus, you have to beat Alabama EVERY year. And you'd be looking over your shoulder worried about getting axed constantly. 

Oregon is a premier program to coach at. There are few places better (unless you are an alumni from somewhere else)

The support the football program gets from the school, town and alumni is top notch.

Pretty much anything coach wants, he'll get.

Our only drawback is being located outside of football hot recruiting area.

But our coaches have shown that too is not a problem. 

Last thought, if we are to have a successful program, other schools will always want to poach some success and hire away our staff. Look at Alabama and Saban, they have constant turnover, and yet still win.

If we win, this is something we'll have to get used to.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 11/3/2022 at 12:15 PM, DanLduck said:

if we are to have a successful program, other schools will always want to poach some success and hire away our staff. Look at Alabama and Saban, they have constant turnover, and yet still win.

If we win, this is something we'll have to get used to

This is a great point. IF DL loves Eugene, loves coaching the Ducks into a national contender, he will have to get used to his coordinators and asst coaches moving on. No one is trying to poach Saban, Sweeney, etc because they know it's a lost cause. As long as DL gets the support and the love from the fan base, why would he look elsewhere? I saw something about how he thought he was being paid a stupid amount of money already, and how money isn't everything for him.

I think he can stay for as long as he wants to, has no desire to go coach elsewhere and will have to be trusted to find replacements for his OC/DC etc rather frequently much the same as the big name Head Coaches do. just my two cents anyway.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 11/3/2022 at 1:49 PM, nw777b said:

Wow! Isn't that more than one Pac-1? school receives in shared media revenue?

Yella Wood is doing really well with the housing boom. Jimmy Rane has a lot of money to burn.

Everybody is leaving, they are shuttering Autzen December first. Demolition starts Dec 2nd.

It's true, I saw a craigslist job posting for an explosives expert. CL post was from Oregon athletic department and had Robs contact info.

Could only mean one thing. 

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

Wait a minute.....Where are all the Mario to xyz college rumors?

Here’s how college football works now. If a team who isn’t supposed to be competing for championships starts competing for championships then those who think they should be competing for championships (but aren’t currently competing for championships) will spend buttloads of $$$ to poach their coach so that they can then…compete for championships. However, if the championship caliber teams who aren’t supposed to be competing for championships want to continue competing for championships then they must also spend buttloads of $$$ to keep their coach from getting poached by those who think that they should be competing for championships (but aren’t currently competing for championships). 

• Haha 4

I distinctly remember DL gave a couple interviews after his hire that his intention was to be here a while if he could make the grade. I think this guy is a solid guy that means what he says so I doubt he would jump ship already. 

If he leaves we will know it long before it happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:24 AM, David Marsh said:

Oregon is going to give Lanning a raise and probably a new contract extension after this year.  

I do think Mullens and Knight feel like they have their guy and they are going to give him the pay to stay. They will probably be giving Dillingham a pay raise too by the end of the season. 

There's also this 'little' thing called "buyout" that O received for riding themselves of MC.  $10 million buyout.  OK, maybe not so little.

I doubt DL will be interested in the Auburn job - that place is a toxic dumpster fire. Unfortunately, if DL ends up eventually taking Oregon to the CFP or even winning a Natty here, blue-blood programs that have openings I surmise will come knocking at his door - that's just the nature of the beast. If Georgia or 'Bama come calling, it's a foregone conclusion that DL will be done at Oregon lol.

The open HC at Auburn is up for debate as being the best job on the market right now. There's Nebraska, Wisconsin, and I suppose Arizona State. Lanning isn't leaving for any of those teams. Maybe Georgia or Alabama some time? 

I thought I read somewhere that DL actually came in second for the Oklahoma job behind Venables when that search was going on. I can't remember where I read that though. 

On 11/1/2022 at 10:41 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

If I were interested in the top job at a flailing major company, I think the last thing I would do is take the top position at a place 3000 miles away with a lot of talent that had underperformed with the previous CEO. Then poach that flailing company's underachieving COO and turn him into a superstar.

Turn the fortunes of your new company around. Earn the support and enthusiasm of your entire workforce and stockholders. Crush the local competition. Recruit outstanding talent nationwide. Earn the grudging admiration of the media and even the CEOs of your primary competition.

Then chuck it all away to go to the very dumpster fire you have no history with, where you will always be looked at as second class compared to your rival cross state juggernaut. For a few dollars more. Oh yeah, and while repairing the damage done by turning their previous field general into something they could never do. 

Sounds like a recipe for success to me. Or something a desperate Fuskie fan thought was a great idea.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

I posted this on a previous thread when Harsin got canned. Seems pertinent to this discussion as well. 

I suppose this begs the question what would be the ideal job Lanning may want to take? Right now that is Oregon, and all we can do is make sure it stays that way.

We can stay his preferred coaching choice by being able to compete for a National Title. We have already proven that we can, but we can't bungle the conference realignment decision. I would also say a continuation of Larry type decisions by the Pac could also send Lanning packing. He wants to compete at the highest level and incompetence at the top may nudge him in the wrong direction.

The other way we can keep Coach Lanning is continue to provide unparalleled coaching support. The indoor training center can't be a lot of hot air like the stadium on campus talked about for our ex coach in south beach. I have no doubt our facility will be completed by 2024 as planned. 

Most importantly Coach Lanning needs to have the support staff where he can feel like he has personal time. I would hope the Halloween party the team celebrated was an idea of Lanning, but he just left it to his trusted support staff. There was no micromanagement needed, that type of trust in support staff is critical. 

As long as Dan Lanning can compete at the highest level and have some semblance of a life he will be our coach. By the way, if we continue to create that atmosphere there will be another awesome coach just begging to take the job, like last time.

If I was a coach I would treasure the knowledge I have everything I need at Oregon. I would also be conscious of the outcomes of the coaches who listened to the siren calls and left. Keep your head down Dan, and don't get distracted!

6ziu7v.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Coach Lanning seems like a stand up guy who happens to be an outstanding and visionary coach.

If the interviews with his family are correct. He will be loyal to the UO as long as the UO is happy with him. I do not feel he has another "Dream Job". Pretty much all of the schools I really consider as a step up on the coaching chain seem to have found their forever guy. Saban is not leaving Bama until he calls it quit (3-4 years baring health issues). Smart isn't leaving Georgia. Day has tOSU locked up. Swinney is a forever guy at Clemson. Harbaugh will never leave Michigan without being forced out. 

There is only one school that I would consider a step up (as far as coaches go) that will likely have an opening in the next couple years. That is Notre Dame. I personally can't stand them. But, like it or not they are a true Blue Blood that likely will be needing a coach fairly soon... and Indiana isn't far from Coach Lanning's family Missouri. Even then there is no guaranty that is a job that would spike his interest.

I'm fairly confident that as long as OU supports DL with facilities and the money for high level staff, he will stay. Of course that all goes out the window if Sauphia decides she hates the winters here in the PNW. Nothing says MOVE faster than an unhappy wife! We need to buy here some spa days at Gervais.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:41 PM, Flaps2 said:

I thought I read somewhere that DL actually came in second for the Oklahoma job behind Venables when that search was going on. I can't remember where I read that though. 

I heard the same thing. Venables is older which is a major reason I feel he won that job. Also doesn't Venables have an Oklahoma connection? 

I'm fine with Oklahoma passing on Lanning and happy they did. 

On 11/4/2022 at 1:57 PM, David Marsh said:

I heard the same thing. Venables is older which is a major reason I feel he won that job. Also doesn't Venables have an Oklahoma connection? 

I'm fine with Oklahoma passing on Lanning and happy they did. 

He does. He was linebackers coach then DC for Bob Stoops from 99-11. 

• Thanks 1

While us die-hard Ducks fans would like to think Oregon is a coaching position to die for, a dream job (for some) that might not be the case for a lot of coaches, including Dan Lanning and Kenny Dillingham (not to mention other staff as well).  The only individuals I ever remember hearing voice a desire to coach here (when not asked) were Justin Wilcox and Chris Peterson, both whom would have been great individuals to have landed.

For reasons we aren't aware of, they were passed over with Cal getting Wilcox and Washington getting Peterson.  I also seem to remember that Bill Musgrave was once interested in the job, too, but I can'r remember for sure.

Regardless, I think we should all expect the coaching carousel to continue into the future, maybe not this year or next, but as Oregon's fortunes rise, so will the offers for out coaches and Eugene, Oregon just isn't a place a lot of these fast-rising coaches see as a permanent place to hang their hats. Alas~  but that's for another day.  For now I'm gonna enjoy the sun while it shines its face on Oregon football.  GO DUCKS!

I love that DL and his staff crushed  on the field the other known interviewees for the UO job: Sitake, Chip, Wilcox (who never was actually offered the job if you know true insiders).  I think UO loves Musgrave’s legacy but not his coaching potential.  Peterson got wiped off UO coaching hire lists based on his reaction (lack of) from the LGB punch.  Chip suspended LGB for the whole regular season and Chris P did nothing to his player that started it by calling LGB the N word…enough witnesses heard it and Chris knew.

Thrilled to have Dan here.

• Thumbs Up 1