Mic

A Great Win ... But What's Going on With Ty Thompson?

Well, Oregon finally gave up another sack, with Ty Thompson at QB.  I don't know if I've ever seen a team that could look SO good with one QB and then so ...differently ...  with the backup in.

I'll repeat what I said a couple weeks ago about Ty (and I like this kid).  Ty looks like he's either afraid to be out there or is absolutely not interested in being the QB anymore. Has he shown any flash of excellence this year?  What do you guys think?

It's important because Bo Nix is just one tackle away from getting hurt. This is not meant to be a knock on Ty, just an honest inquiry.

Edited by Mic
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Maybe it's the ultimate fake out?

kyle on Twitter: "Is this what they're discussing at Halas ...

• Haha 2

On 11/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, Mic said:

Well, Oregon finally gave up another sack, with Ty Thompson at QB.  I don't know if I've ever seen a team that could look SO good with one QB and then so ...differently ...  with the backup in.

I'll repeat what I said a couple weeks ago about Ty (and I like this kid).  Ty looks like he's either afraid to be out there or is absolutely not interested in being the QB anymore. Has he shown any flash of excellence this year?  What do you guys think?

It's important because Bo Nix is just one tackle away from getting hurt and it looks like if that should happen Oregon is done!  This is not meant to be a knock on Ty, just an honest inquiry.

He looks overwhelmed to me, as if he still hasn't made the adjustment emotionally from playing in high school to playing in college. I may be reading that wrong, of course. Hope that sooner rather than later everything just clicks for him so that he would be comfortable managing playing time.

• Let’s hope! 1

He is snake-bitten for sure.  It all goes bad when he steps in there....some kind of bad karma it seems.

Ty Thompson2 by J3P.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Coaches didn’t let Thompson do anything.   It would’ve been nice to let him get some experience in his pass game, but……who knows?  Maybe they didn’t want to risk injury to their receiving corp.

Our backup line looks terrible 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Maybe it's the ultimate fake out?

kyle on Twitter: "Is this what they're discussing at Halas ...

It'd be easy to joke about it and believe me, I'd love to make it a joke.  But I see what he does on the field when he comes out to play and I'm just left puzzled.  Maybe he's already made his mind up he's moving t another team or, well, I just don't know.  I hate to be a debbie-downer after such a good win but it really has me concerned.

It seems that the first play called for Thompson is a screen pass every time he goes in. 

Every defense should be aware of it because it's relatively an easy throw and is the usual call.  Hasn't worked yet.

Why not use some other part of our incredible offense and give him a chance?  IMHO -Just to be fair to him.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If Bo goes down then we are not likely to win any more games given who we have left on the schedule.  This scenario has happened at Oregon before.  

I recommend enjoying the good times because worrying about what might happen that could snap our win streak, will just take you to a dark place.

Ty gets in during trash time and his throws look terrible.  We also don't run the ball well during trash time or block or make stops on D.  Oregon doesn't play well in trash time when we pull ALL the starters.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Is Butters that bad? Thompson’s head is somewhere else. Waist of a scholarship to me. 

On 11/5/2022 at 4:22 PM, Just Ducky said:

Is Butters that bad? Thompson’s head is somewhere else. Waist of a scholarship to me. 

That seems extremely harsh.  Ty was a five star recruit and while some of those definitely are duds we don't know if Ty is or not.  Let's give the benefit of the doubt to the coaches on this one.

I would also add that Ty looks like he has been hitting the weight room non-stop.  Did you see those guns?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2022 at 4:26 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

That seems extremely harsh.  Ty was a five star recruit and while some of those definitely are duds we don't know if Ty is or not.  Let's give the benefit of the doubt to the coaches on this one.

I would also add that Ty looks like he has been hitting the weight room non-stop.  Did you see those guns?

5-stars and "big guns" mean nothing when you can't complete a pass

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is absolutely no evidence that Ty Thompson can play at this level. At least none that fans can see. Sorry to say it, but he looks like a bust to me. 

What's most puzzling is Ty doesn't "look" like he's trying.  And Jay Butterfield isn't getting any chance to see if he can do any better.  What is Lanning doing here?   I give up.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can't argue above points. I will say his backs and Oline aren't helping matters

• Like 1

My take on Ty is that he’s an emotional leader who thrives in tough situations. 

If you recall his HS tape, it was all big plays and comebacks. 

If I’m TY, I am going to crush it in the 2-min drill in practice and wow the coaches.

And I am going to be non-plussed about garbage time. Who could blame him?

On 11/5/2022 at 7:55 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

And I am going to be non-plussed about garbage time. Who could blame him?

That is not a trait I expect from a team leader.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would still like to see what Butters can do. TT might be better suited elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm hoping Coach has his eye on another transfer qb for next yr... somethings definitely up with TT

On 11/6/2022 at 12:02 AM, Setnetduck said:

I'm hoping Coach has his eye on another transfer qb for next yr... somethings definitely up with TT

Assuming Bo doesn't return for next year, we definitely need a qb from the portal. It appears neither TT or Butters are ready by the coaches' actions. We need someone to help Dante transition to the college game. I'm sure our coaches have considered this already.

Bo is gone. His stock will not rise any higher by staying another year unless the Ducks melt down over the next three weeks. Right at this moment we need to be praying that Dante Moore is the real deal from the get-go.  Thompson does not look good by any measure. 

We as fans are relegated to outsider status by default. We glean information by what our eye tells us. My outsider eye tells me that Butterfield has been short changed. I'm not sure that the staff has seen any film with him in game situations. I've seen Butterfield in games before. 

I'd feel much more comfortable with Butterfield as my back-up and fear losing him to the portal MUCH more than losing Thompson.

• Thumbs Up 2

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and trust that DL and his coaching staff probably have a better read in who is #2 and who is #3 than I (or we) will ever have.

But then, I trusted Mari(no)o and his staff too, so what do I know?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Agree with others that Thompson did not look impressive in the times he was put under center. Sad to say, I think the kid has all but given up and probably would benefit from a fresh start with another program that fits his skill set. I do agree with SmithRiverDuck that we need to keep Butterfield from being tempted to enter the transfer portal as well.

Oregon used to to have a knack for developing QB's and that seems like a lost art now - remember when Mariota was starter from his freshman year with the Ducks and actually did pretty well in his first year? For all intents and purposes, Bo is gone after this season and like another poster had stated, we need to pray hard that Dante Moore is the real deal.

Additionally, Oregon's Achilles heel has always been a lack of quality depth at QB. Once the starting QB goes down, it's a foregone conclusion that so goes the rest of the season. I remember when Dennis Dixon went down when the Ducks were purportedly in line to play in the natty, and then when Vernon Adams went down in the 2015 Alamo Bowl which resulted in that embarrassing collapse after being up 31-0 at halftime that allowed TCU to win the game in overtime. Anyways, back to TT, I think the kid doesn't want to be here anymore and we shouldn't force him to stay where he probably doesn't want to be.

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Like 1

I would like to see Ty play with the first team offense and in a situation where we are trying to score. The plays called for him are not designed for him to succeed. If Bo goes down, I'm not certain what we'll have at QB. 

• Like 1

That kid has to keep working for sure! Maybe some sports psychologist can help him envision with some confidence!!!!!

On 11/6/2022 at 12:02 AM, Setnetduck said:

There’s a kid down in South Florida named Tyler who is stuck in a bad offense. He might see Bo’s transformation as something that could work for him. I also hear that he likes to play in front of enthusiastic fans.

• Haha 3

Hard to know how he would act as the starter, but the act he puts on as a back-up won't get it done.

I suppose we must have faith Dan is developing Ty in practice, and that is where Ty shines.

It does seem like the only time a back-up really shines is when they come in and lead a team from behind. You then have a qb controversy, and thankfully we have none of that. Back-up qb's kind of just come in and manage the end of the game.

One good thing is Ty and Butters are definitely seeing how a qb runs an offense. Last year, kudos to AB, but that wasn't an offense, just offensive.

With Lanning and Dilly running the show Im not too worried about TT.

It seems appropriate to post this meme again.

F3BBAB0B-F7AC-4AD4-80A0-7834B0DB1EC0.jpeg

• Haha 4

I like that,  except mabye the girl in red should just be named oregon

• Thumbs Up 1

You could add DJU from Clemson to that meme as well. Consensus 5 Star blur chip rated QB. Talk about a disappointment. I expect he hits the transfer portal after Clemson is done this season. His brother Matayeo being a 5 star defensive end Oregon is recruiting this cycle could play a factor. DJ grew up loving Oregon and rooting for Masoli & Mariota. Could be his chance to get his career back on track to get to the NFL. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is my best guess: Ty can make the runs in the RPO and passing games but cannot reliably make the reads in Dillingham's offense; and Jay can probably make most of the reads, but cannot make the runs.

Ty's reads might improve; Jay cannot alter his body type (beyond a point). Jay was skinny when he arrived, and is still slight of built for a QB. He has displayed some mobility, but not enough to turn a routine keep on a read option into an explosion play, unlike Bo Nix. Jay may not be able to take or avoid the hits that come from running the football.

Like like many of you, I would like to see more of Jay. Darren Thomas was not Lamar Jackson, either, but ran Chip's system very well. 

It is hard to tell whether Ty is just disengaged and has checked out already, or whether he just has a Dennis Dixon-type personality, and will never by able to lead expect by performance. 

We do not have much information, and I have confidence in these conclusions. 

My short answer to this is I trust the Coaches and the program!

Not sure why Ty has looked the way he has, but I feel so good about the total program, I won't second guess what is going on with him! 

Go Mighty Ducks, beat those Huskies!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

From hearing TT in interviews and watching him congratulate other players on the sideline it seems he is very engaged. I think he is continuing to work and will be fine whatever decision he makes regarding transferring or staying with O. Doesn't seem like the kind of kid to quit trying.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 9:02 PM, Setnetduck said:

Normally I say no - we need to develop our own kids, and this is why what's happening with TT is so concerning - he doesn't look like he's progressing or even wants to be the #1.  But looks can be very deceiving.  The young man might just step it up next year (if Bo moves on) and really shine.  I just don't see it in him when he comes into the games now.

This 5-star QB Oregon's wooing from Michigan right now might just be the kid who wants the ball in his hands and if that's the case, TT might be moving to another team..  I hope not, but ...

On 11/6/2022 at 7:15 AM, LADuck said:

From hearing TT in interviews and watching him congratulate other players on the sideline it seems he is very engaged. I think he is continuing to work and will be fine whatever decision he makes regarding transferring or staying with O. Doesn't seem like the kind of kid to quit trying.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet either, but I really am concerned 'cause he doesn't bring any spark what-so-ever into the game when he makes his appearances.  that's why I'd like to see Butterfield get his shot - to see if it's the same or different.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I don't think it's super likely that both the #2 and #3 QB's have "given up on the Ducks" especially since Bo is a very mobile QB that thinks sliding is for baseball players.

I mean Bo is like 99.999% going to the NFL next year and the only thing that could bring him back is a major season ending injury where he needs more college games to prove he is still NFL ready after recovery.  Please God don't let that happen!  

All this means spring camp is a QB battle between Ty, Jay and likely Dante (early enrollment).  So Ty is very close to being the starting QB for the Ducks.  With all that being said I don't think it's super likely the coaches leave Ty as the #2 QB if he were showing signs of having given up on Oregon, they would definitely move Jay up to #2 if Ty was lacking effort.  DL favors effort over talent, that much is clear.

I'm not denying that Ty's passes look inaccurate, the overall anemic offense actually is not unusual given that all the starters were pulled.  Ty doesn't look prepared to run this offense but that's not surprising given that this offense is designed around Bo and his skills.

Bo is an elite athlete but really so is Ty.  Bo has multiple years of reading defenses and throwing footballs in the SEC, Ty doesn't.  Bo is getting significant time from coaches on building his already excellent read skills and demonstrating patience with where to throw the ball, Ty most likely isn't.

It would honestly be pretty surprising if Ty was anywhere near Bo's skill level.  The observation is also true that Ty looks to be behind where HIS skill level should be.  I just don't see indications that it's a lack of commitment from Ty that explains this.

To be fair the Ty situation is certainly a head scratcher but I don't believe we have enough information to explain why Ty's throws are so inaccurate when he is getting game time.  If anybody played QB and would like to look at some of his film maybe they can figure it out.  I played D-end and not in college so my knowledge here is pretty limited on throwing mechanics.    

Time and time again, I have watched backup QBs on other teams come into games and play very well.  They've looked poised enough to run an offense, complete passes, and make some reads.  They may be a step down from the starter, but are at least competent replacements.

I don't see that with Ty, unfortunately.  I can't determine whether he's nervous like deer in the headlights, immature, not interested, can't make reads, or what the problem is.  His pass attempts were not even close.  I feel bad for him.  I think he now has coaches that should be able to develop him at least to a suitable backup, and I hope he improves.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/6/2022 at 9:11 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

t would honestly be pretty surprising if Ty was anywhere near Bo's skill level.  The observation is also true that Ty looks to be behind where HIS skill level should be.  I just don't see indications that it's a lack of commitment from Ty that explains this.

To be fair the Ty situation is certainly a head scratcher but I don't believe we have enough information to explain why Ty's throws are so inaccurate when he is getting game time.  If anybody played QB and would like to look at some of his film maybe they can figure it out.  I played D-end and not in college so my knowledge here is pretty limited on throwing mechanics.    

No, of course Ty isn't near Bo in technique or ability, yet.  He may never be, but it's too soon to say that for sure because  he's younger and a heck of a lot less experienced.

I went back and looked over the game film again after Ty came in and there was a noticeable drop-off in line protection and such and we can see right away that Ty hasn't the elusiveness that Bo has, nor probably the ability to make the reads of the defense like Bo does, nor so quickly.  But that isn't the only issue with him that I see.  The kid just looks - overwhelmed out there.  That's the best way, imo, to describe what I see when he enters the game.  

I'll close out any more comments by saying I really want to see this young man succeed as a QB at Oregon.  I'm not hoping for him to transfer or sit on the pine the rest of his collegiate eligibility.  I'm just scared as all get-out for the team should Bo Nix get hurt and we need Ty to step in.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 5:25 AM, Duck 68 said:

I would like to see Ty play with the first team offense and in a situation where we are trying to score. The plays called for him are not designed for him to succeed. If Bo goes down, I'm not certain what we'll have at QB. 

I think you EARN that privilege.  When he got in there, I was actually saddened that he appeared out of place, non caring about being in.  These are OUR DUCKS.  If you do not want to be there, sit on the sidelines and hold the clipboard.  

I will admit that I am one that is not very high on TT with what he has shown this year. This is his second year at Oregon. It seems some of us are making excuses for him as we appear to have an upstanding coaching staff. What I have read so far includes the following:

• - his throwing mechanics are wrong
  • - he's a 5-star 
  • - he has had different coaches
  • - he hasn't been coached enough
  • - he needs to play with the first team to be better
  • - he's seems aloof, maybe not interested

None of these problems are fixed quickly or easily and his performances show that he is certainly not ready for prime time next year. Some players practice well and don't show up for games. After the time spent here, his mechanics and fundamentals should be further along. If you are a back-up, you must make the best of the opportunity given you. You don't get to choose your opportunities. Some players are perhaps in the wrong environment, maybe he would be more comfortable elsewhere besides Oregon where expectations are high. Sometimes a new place jumpstarts a career, look at Bo. Next year would be his third year and I just don't see him even as a credible back-up right now.

Perhaps you can fill me in on what you have seen from him that makes you feel good about his future here. Maybe I missed it along the way. I wish nothing but the best for TT but I have doubts he will be a solid starter as a Duck, especially with Dante on the way in a couple of months.

• Great post! 1