Ktmguy2018

Miami: *Sigh*

Y'all look at that score?  One board post said it all: 

"188 yards, 3 points.  Garbage"

But, my favorite post (As I bask in the glow of another 40+ points by our offense) is:

Screenshot_20221105-222209.png

• Haha 11
  • Mic drop 1

He does not look happy.  But I sure am, thanks Coach Lanning for coming to Oregon.  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

In my dark matter alternate universe crystal ball, MC stays at Oregon. He hires another "sure, I'll let you run your offense" OC not named Dillingham. Dye, CJ, Pittman all bolt as per our universe. No Bo, no Cota. No Gonzo for that matter.

No decent transfer QB wants to touch this stuck in molasses offense. The O-line hangs in there even in the dark matter universe, but due to weaker quantum mechanical and subatomic bond forces, seems to lack the same physicality.

Oregon gets blown out by UGA, takes losses to Wazzu and UCLA. Maybe, just maybe, ekes out wins against the fuskies and beavs but gets another woodshed whuppin' (this time at home) by the Utes. Watches Utah and USC square off in Vegas on TV. Finishes with a minor bowl game loss to Southern Backwater State for a 7-5 record. 

Oregon fans are treated repeatedly to the above cited post game interview scenario, but in green and yellow backdrop. Then the U comes for him. No Lanning or Dilly available to pick up the pieces. Or even worse, MC stays. Then it's another Groundhog Day rinse and repeat season.

I did say it was a dark matter universe.

• Oh no! 3
  • Whew! 1
  • Cool 1

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that IMHO MC will eventually right the ship at The U. He probably doesn't have the right kind of roster that fits his brand of football - yes, it was boring lol but it did get us a Rose Bowl victory - patience will need to be a virtue for Miami fans unfortunately. On the bright side, MC did continue to establish the foundation of recruiting blue-chip players to Eugene that Taggart started and he did get it right when it came to upgrading Oregon's O-line. I think we need to cut the guy some slack lol.

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/6/2022 at 1:26 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Y'all look at that score?  One board post said it all: 

"188 yards, 3 points.  Garbage"

But, my favorite post (As I bask in the glow of another 40+ points by our offense) is:

Screenshot_20221105-222209.png

Joe Brady wouldn’t improve that offense one bit. The OC and the scheme isn’t the problem down there.

• Applause 2

And just think, Miami could probably had Lanning,  

• Oh no! 1

KARMA !😁

• Applause 1

On 11/6/2022 at 4:06 AM, OceaniaDuck said:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that IMHO MC will eventually right the ship at The U. He probably doesn't have the right kind of roster that fits his brand of football - yes, it was boring lol but it did get us a Rose Bowl victory - patience will need to be a virtue for Miami fans unfortunately. On the bright side, MC did continue to establish the foundation of recruiting blue-chip players to Eugene that Taggart started and he did get it right when it came to upgrading Oregon's O-line. I think we need to cut the guy some slack lol.

He may right the ship and take Miami to a bowl again someday, but unless he changes, he'll hit a ceiling.

The SEC he thinks he's trying to compete with has progressed well past the time when he worked with Saban.

But I don't believe he won the Rosebowl -- Herbert did -- despite Mario.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 6

A  round of applause for Tre Benson of FSU.

15 carries for 128 yards (8.5 yards per carry)  and 2 TDs. BTW Miami had 126 total rushing yards.

1 reception for 25 yards

16 touches for 153 yards and 2 TDs!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem is that his style of program no longer works in today’s game.  He seems utterly incapable of evolving and/or recognizing he needs to adapt which, to me, says continual failure is a guaranteed outcome 

• Thumbs Up 7

On 11/6/2022 at 6:40 AM, florida duck said:

Lanning might not have wanted Miami....

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

49-3?  Oh, my Lord...  

I'd say Mario might be entering 'serious trouble' territory here.  I don't think many expected Miami to win the game but absolutely NO One expected a blowout like that on Miami's home field.  What was the betting line, anyone know?

• Whew! 1

All the various Miami forums are going ballistic about their football teams performance.  They're blaming the lack of talent, players giving up and having no heart, their offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, QB coach, Mari no O in game coaching, but I think they're missing the real crux of the problem in their team performance:

1)  Mario's micromanagement style of making his coaches conform to his medieval , archaic , unimaginative power game that he won't stubbornly see as being a thing of the past.  I'm sure the players don't like it, aren't having fun trying to run it, and his coaches have no leeway to change it.

2)   There is something wrong with Feld' strength and conditioning program.  Miami is plagued by the same injury problems that we had here with Feld.  Whatever it is, they're being decimated just like we were last year.

Until Mari no O comes to his senses, stops micromanaging his coaches and players, let's them have fun and be innovative, nothing will change.  Just look at the attitude of Oregon players and coaches now compared to last year.

• Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 3:17 PM, cartm25 said:

Great reporting. A sampling of questions/comments to MC:

“Mario, it’s the first time this program has scored 3 or less points since 2015 . . .”

“Haven’t scored a touchdown in 9 quarters. What can you do, during the season, to fix the offense; try and get it going?”

“You had a great crowd tonight, finally, must be extra disappointing, I guess?”

“Coach, is this rock bottom for you all as a program?” (This one got MC riled up a bit, hahaha)

“All season long you’ve dealt with the slow starts. Is that one thing you’re trying to work through? You know, every game you’re always playing from behind.”

Someone should have asked him:

"Coach, how much of your multimillion dollar Oregon contract buyout involved the rights to your offensive strategy?"

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

On 11/6/2022 at 7:17 AM, cartm25 said:

Great reporting. A sampling of questions/comments to MC:

“Mario, it’s the first time this program has scored 3 or less points since 2015 . . .”

“Haven’t scored a touchdown in 9 quarters. What can you do, during the season, to fix the offense; try and get it going?”

“You had a great crowd tonight, finally, must be extra disappointing, I guess?”

“Coach, is this rock bottom for you all as a program?” (This one got MC riled up a bit, hahaha)

“All season long you’ve dealt with the slow starts. Is that one thing you’re trying to work through? You know, every game you’re always playing from behind.”

Wowzaa... these are all just brutal --- only because they are all 100% spot on. 

What a total freaking dumpster fire.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 7:40 AM, florida duck said:

No way Lanning was going to say yes to that pile of manure program. 

It is and was a disaster when MC said yes. The internal and external problems within the Miami program are huge.

Edited by Desert Duck

On 11/6/2022 at 9:10 AM, Desert Duck said:

Wowzaa... these are all just brutal --- only because they are all 100% spot on. 

What a total freaking dumpster fire.

With their remaining schedule it's very possible Miami won't become bowl eligible this year, again. They have to win two of their last three and unless some lightening strikes occur it isn't looking very likely they will.  That isn't going to go down well.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 9:14 AM, Desert Duck said:

No way Lanning was going to say yes to the pile of manure program. 

It is and was a disaster when MC said yes. The internal and external problems within the Miami program are huge.

I don't think Miami's program IS a pile of crap.  There's no reason why it should be - the school is located right smack dab in the middle of one the best (if not THE best) recruiting grounds in the entire nation.  And Miami has money, lots of it. And a long, prestigious tradition of winning.

No, if Lanning had gone down there instead and taken this staff with him they wouldn't be seeing the dismal results fans are seeing now from Miami.

Florida has been so good to Oregon football... first by taking the Taggert disaster off of our hands, and then by rescuing us from Mario.

On the flipside, for Taggert & Mario, Florida has been a disaster. 

Maybe sometimes, you just shouldn't try and go home. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 2

I think Lanning would have had significantly better results this year with Miami than MC has had. It's not all recruiting to your own program.

DL and Dilly took Mario's O-line and has them moving incredibly well, pulling all over heaven's creation and protecting Nix like he was Fort Knox. I'm sure they wouldn't say it out loud but I'll bet they are having a boatload more fun in the current offense than they had under the previous regime.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Lets look on the bright side, the hurricanes are undefeated in Virginia this year, 2-0 actually, well done!

Maybe they can get that new stadium built in Virginia? Hurricanes are 2-4 at their home turf, A Rock and a Hard Place Stadium. 

• Cool 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/6/2022 at 9:28 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I think Lanning would have had significantly better results this year with Miami than MC has had. It's not all recruiting to your own program.

DL and Dilly took Mario's O-line and has them moving incredibly well, pulling all over heaven's creation and protecting Nix like he was Fort Knox. I'm sure they wouldn't say it out loud but I'll bet they are having a boatload more fun in the current offense than they had under the previous regime.

Certainly (to your 1st point) and Yes! to your second point.  This great O-line that O has now is due in large part to MC & Steve Greatwood.  

And as to your last point: oh yeah, they are!  This is the kind of offense Chip Kelly introduced to the collegiate world that these young men want to play in.  Big Time.  That's why it's appearing all over the country from Coastal Carolina to UCLA and every conference in between.

yes, it was boring lol but it did get us a Rose Bowl victory

With a quarterback who put up some good numbers for a scheme that didn't allow him to shine. 

Herbert is a special quarterback, I'm not sure Cristobal is going to get another Herbert. That was a playoff caliber roster in 2019 and the scheme stopped that from happening. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 7:17 PM, David Marsh said:

With a quarterback who put up some good numbers for a scheme that didn't allow him to shine. 

Herbert is a special quarterback, I'm not sure Cristobal is going to get another Herbert. That was a playoff caliber roster in 2019 and the scheme stopped that from happening. 

Justin was a generational talent and combined with the other players on that 2019 roster, should have had Oregon in the playoffs. A variation of Dilly's offense, tailored to Herbert running the ball less than Nix and throwing more, even with the somewhat limited talent level he had at WR and TE, would not have lost to ASU. And probably not to Auburn with Lanning at the helm managing the clock.

LSU would have likely still won the title but IMHO, Oregon would have been in the CFP.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:21 PM, Desert Duck said:

Florida has been so good to Oregon football... first by taking the Taggert disaster off of our hands, and then by rescuing us from Mario.

Next time they play "Shout" at the start of the 4th at Autzen, they need to show Miami and FSU emblems superimposed on a big outline of the state of Florida when Otis Day sings:

"You've been so good to me, 

You've been so good to me!"

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/6/2022 at 6:40 AM, florida duck said:

The Miami job only opened up for Cristobal. So Lanning was never in play there. 

They basically hired Cristobal before they fired Diaz. They were only going to take Cristobal over Diaz. 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, Desert Duck said:

Maybe that's why Wilcox turned down coming to Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Who said there is no such thing as bad press?  Excerpts below from the South Florida Sun-Sentential reprint 

Each week you kind of think it might be different for the Hurricanes. And you’re right. Each week it somehow looks worse.

Did it look like they weren’t playing hard against their biggest rival? Or was it just that easy for Florida State?

No one expected Miami (4-5) to be great this season. But, again, did anyone expect it to be this bad?

It was time to turn the clock back for daylight savings on Saturday night. Miami would just like to turn the clock forward a few years. Maybe Cristobal has recruited out of this mess by then.

He’s sure not coaching his way out, as Saturday again showed.

WWW.MSN.COM

Mario Cristobal doesn’t need to say how much work is needed, as he did again late Saturday night, or that he knew what he was getting into in arriving at Miami, which might be harder believe...

Let us all take a short break to remember that Mario was 3-0 against the Fuskies. Okay, now back to how much Miami sucks.

• Haha 3
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually, the article just above JacksPlaid could have been worse for MC.  No one's mentioned as calling for his head.  Maybe it's because they gave  him such a lengthy and expensive contract.  

Wet Paper Bag: 1

Mario's Coaching: 0

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

This says it all about The U. Their fans hit harder than their defense.

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 1

I'm not sure MCs job is to win football games at Miami.  His first year recruiting class is ranked #8.  

He can have losing seasons for three or four years and get fired for the next coach to come in and actually win games.

It's a really really really expensive strategy since they paid Oregon $9mil to buy out his contract and $8mil for Manny Diaz and $8mil per year for Cristobal...

That's a lot of Lamborghinis filled with Cocaine...

On the plus side the combined salaries of the entire Oregon coaching staff was paid by the University of Miami this year with a bit more to spare.  I feel like we should send them a thank you note.

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, Desert Duck said:

Just ask Scott Frost . . . .

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sure doesn't look fun playing qb for Miami...look at this

People leaving Miami game prior to half...

Funniest....thread....ever.

I never said I was noble...

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/6/2022 at 5:06 AM, OceaniaDuck said:

I might argue that in spite of Mario, Justin Herbert got us to the Pac-12 Championship, and Rose Bowl, where he led the team to two wins. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/6/2022 at 2:04 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I'm not sure MCs job is to win football games at Miami.  His first year recruiting class is ranked #8.  

He can have losing seasons for three or four years and get fired for the next coach to come in and actually win games.

It's a really really really expensive strategy since they paid Oregon $9mil to buy out his contract and $8mil for Manny Diaz and $8mil per year for Cristobal...

That's a lot of Lamborghinis filled with Cocaine...

On the plus side the combined salaries of the entire Oregon coaching staff was paid by the University of Miami this year with a bit more to spare.  I feel like we should send them a thank you note.

Like I keep saying, Florida has been very good to the Ducks. They've bailed us out twice, while, as you've pointed out, have been kind enough to pay the salaries of the entire coaching staff this year. 

They have been so generous. 

• Applause 1

On 11/6/2022 at 9:15 AM, Mic said:

With their remaining schedule it's very possible Miami won't become bowl eligible this year, again. They have to win two of their last three and unless some lightening strikes occur it isn't looking very likely they will.  That isn't going to go down well.

Last year they backed out of the Tony the Tiger Bowl game against WSU. Their record over the last 11 bowl games, 1-10, probably best they didn't play.

I doubt there is another program which lives so steadfastly in their past glory.

Like the guy who still has that Camaro from his high school days, and is sure it is still the best car out there. 'You might want to change out those drum brakes with disc brakes,' 'no these were and are the best!'

They weren't too happy with last years 7-5 record, Manny wasn't the problem. Manny is actually doing pretty well at PSU.

They keep trying to bring back the past, instead of moving toward the future, oh well, it's only money.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Miami has just fast tracked to where the UO would have been under Mario year 5. He has clearly lost the locker room and doesn't have the roster to just go out and auto pilot close wins like he did here. I thought Mario would have a tough time in Miami but I didn't even expect this harsh of a face plant coming out of the gate.

If his coveted recruiting class goes up in smoke,  assistants bail, and no one else returns his calls, the Mario era may be over. Maybe it already is.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/6/2022 at 4:14 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

He has clearly lost the locker room

Miami didn't do MC any favors.  Most of the roster either came to play for Manny Diaz or knew him from his time as DC.  Making his continued employment contingent on whether Mario accepted the job offer or not would obviously lead to resentment from many of the returning players.

Check this analysis out.  It calls into question the assumption that MC is the problem at Miami and actually indicates Miami has a player skill problem.

Talent and athleticism is only one part of that equation.  Player drive, facilities, and extra curriculars have an impact on players developing to their potential.

Miami has something that Eugene, Athens, Columbus and Tuscaloosa don't have...

... Night Life!

In this Dillingham interview with Feldman at one point in discussing his creativity, he says "The best coaches aren't stubborn....they continue to learn and grow."

I instantly thought of MariØ

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
add link
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 12:49 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

In my dark matter alternate universe crystal ball, MC stays at Oregon. He hires another "sure, I'll let you run your offense" OC not named Dillingham. Dye, CJ, Pittman all bolt as per our universe. No Bo, no Cota. No Gonzo for that matter.

No decent transfer QB wants to touch this stuck in molasses offense. The O-line hangs in there even in the dark matter universe, but due to weaker quantum mechanical and subatomic bond forces, seems to lack the same physicality.

Oregon gets blown out by UGA, takes losses to Wazzu and UCLA. Maybe, just maybe, ekes out wins against the fuskies and beavs but gets another woodshed whuppin' (this time at home) by the Utes. Watches Utah and USC square off in Vegas on TV. Finishes with a minor bowl game loss to Southern Backwater State for a 7-5 record. 

Oregon fans are treated repeatedly to the above cited post game interview scenario, but in green and yellow backdrop. Then the U comes for him. No Lanning or Dilly available to pick up the pieces. Or even worse, MC stays. Then it's another Groundhog Day rinse and repeat season.

I did say it was a dark matter universe.

All while Aaron Fentress chides Duck fans in his doofusy manner.

• Haha 1

What a hilarious thread! The only thing better than watching that beat down and seeing Mario's facial expressions was seeing Tre Benson, a guy who didn't sniff the field under Mario,  run all over them. I'm really happy for the kid.

Look, I know some fellow Duck fans want us to move on. We should be adults and be happy that we got Coach Lanning. Mario's a good dude who recruited well for the Ducks, won some games then went home. I get all that.

But no freaking way I'm letting it go. Is it petty? Absolutely. Childish? Probably but I don't care. This is what karma looks like. This is what happens when you quit on your team mid season and get in your emotions because the fans criticized your strategy. This is what happens when you are apart of a process that left Manny Diaz hanging in the wind while you negotiated with boosters. You think Manny enjoyed that game?

So yes, every time a coach leaves because he thinks he can do better than Oregon and face plants I'm going to be on here laughing at them. I don't care if it's Frost, Kelly, Brooks, Slick Willie,  Cristobal or whoever.  Like a lot people are saying "It's not the coaches who make Oregon, it's Oregon who makes the coaches"

Go Ducks!

Beat the Fuskies!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Over the past two weeks, Miami faced Virginia and FSU teams that entered their Miami matchups with a combined record of 8-7. In each game, Miami registered more punting yards than total offense (308 to 273 vs UVA and 282 to 188 vs FSU). Excluding OT (where points are unearned and punts are impossible), Miami also had more punts than points in each game (8 to 6 and 6 to 3).

Cristoballin'!!!

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1

I don't think it was until the 2019 Pac-12 Championship game against Utah that Mario finally let Justin do what Justin does.

As I'm sure you recall, were big underdogs going into that game. Mario finally unleashed the reins on the kid who is currently one of the best QBs in the NFL.

And all Justin then did against Utah was completely shred and pick them apart, both in the air and with his feet, for a thoroughly wonderful 37-15 thrashing of the Utes. 

And apparently, after 12 games into that season, Mario finally seemed to learn his lesson and allowed Justin to be Justin in the Rose Bowl as well --- whereby we went on to have a Rose Bowl win for the ages.