Krsmqn

Autzen Stadium Sellouts: A Comparison

Happy Sunday! 🦆

1745136446_download(1).jpeg.1ce19fe03b478158fc64518ad063a4a3.jpeg

Setting aside the 2020 season, I decided to take a look at the number of sellout home games during each coaches tenure since the expansion to 54,000 capacity.  Source

First up, of course, is Mike Belotti, who already had 7 years under his belt at the previous capacity. 

2002 - 2008: 45 sellouts! (That's every single home game during his tenure, after the expansion in 2002!)

Chip Kelly: 

2009 - 2012: 28 sellouts. (Also every home game in his time as HC, including 2 games with 60,000+!!!)

Mark Helfrich:

2013 - 2016: 22 sellouts ( 2016 saw the end of a sellout streak unmatched in UO history at 110 games over 17 years!)

"Slick" Willie Taggart:

2017:  5 sellouts (slither away, Slick.)

Mario Cristobal:

2018 - 2021: ... 6. (2020 aside, in 3 years, Mariø only had 1 more sellout home game than Slick 🤦🏻‍♂️)

Dan Lanning:

2022 - : 2 (Lanning has the tough task of winning not only games, but some of the faith lost by some fans from the previous few coaches)

DL is trending upwards, and I see a packed Autzen, and the beginning of a new sellout streak during his tenure. I could even go as far as to say - If he brings us our first football National Championship, we might see another era of sellouts at Autzen...

One with a capacity of 70,000!

I dream big. 

Go Ducks!!! 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The next two games should sell out, but I expect to see a lot of purple in the stands next week and red the following week. I think the most embarrassing games were Tennessee in 2013 and Nebraska in 2017. Those were easily 30-35% visiting fans. Good thing they just came to Eugene to see their teams lose.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Like 1

The AD is concerned that if the seating is expanded we rarely have sellouts and also lots of vacant seats.

I was at the UCLA game and made the mistake of trying to go the restroom and concessions during halftime. Felt downright unsafe due to the jam-packed conditions in all main walkways. Not sure that standing-room-only tix should be sold at Autzen in these conditions. Seen too many reports of mass-fatality stampedes in the news lately, and it felt tight enough for that to be a hazard.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 2:15 PM, RichardDuck said:

I was at the UCLA game and made the mistake of trying to go the restroom and concessions during halftime. Felt downright unsafe due to the jam-packed conditions in all main walkways. Not sure that standing-room-only tix should be sold at Autzen in these conditions. Seen too many reports of mass-fatality stampedes in the news lately, and it felt tight enough for that to be a hazard.

Yep.  A standard practice for me was to check the time and with a minute left in the half--head to the rest rooms before everyone else does.  But now with what Lanning teams do in the "middle-eight" minutes...that might not be best practices after all!

Patrick Herbert3_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter - Copy.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/6/2022 at 2:15 PM, RichardDuck said:

Those conditions are in a lot of sold out football stadiums across the country. There are always choke points when you cram a decent size town into a relatively small area. Ever been in the tunnels at a sold out Rose Bowl? (Many UCLA fans haven’t…lol)

I think driving to and from football stadiums is more life threatening myself. 

Although, the restrooms, concessions, and boxes on the Ducks side of the field do need serious renovation.

Edited by Drake

I never go to the restroom at half-time. My seat is not too far from a tunnel, so I can dash down and back during one of the longer commercial breaks, and thanks to that guy on the field with the electronic sign, I know how long the break will be.

On 11/6/2022 at 3:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Yep.  A standard practice for me was to check the time and with a minute left in the half--head to the rest rooms before everyone else does.  But now with what Lanning teams do in the "middle-eight" minutes...that might not be best practices after all!

Patrick Herbert3_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter - Copy.jpg

For the truly committed Oregon fan who naturally does not want to miss a second of the action, I recommend the, "Dream Lifestyle Wearable Urine Bag Incontinence Pants for Men."

Technically, it is for incontinence, but I've found it works great for all kinds of activities such as all sporting events, concerts, seminars that last way too long, and for the guy that just has a really serious case of 24x7 FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).

😄 😉

On 11/6/2022 at 3:46 PM, Desert Duck said:

for the guy that just has a really serious case of 24x7 FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).

I think some of those guys have been to a few of my parties. Always the last to leave and don’t offer to help clean up. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Be interesting to see a comparison to how much tix are now versus the Belotti era adjusted for inflation. My guess is it was much more affordable compared to now. 

I have to say that I was really surprised to see the sellout numbers.  Not being from Oregon, I have a different impression of Autzen that I think is probably pretty common among my fellow Ute fans.  Here was my perception:

Autzen has probably sold out every game in the last decade

Loud and intimidating - especially for big games - similar to playing at Utah

Always thought Eugene was bigger than it actually is and closer to Portland 

My thoughts on expansion would be to hold off - unless the stadium is full every week and there is a mile long waiting list for season tickets, it will ruin the atmosphere to have a bunch of empty seats

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 12:01 PM, mrspenney said:

The AD is concerned that if the seating is expanded we rarely have sellouts and also lots of vacant seats.

Then the AD needs to do what (if anything) he can to stop these late-game starts.  

More than anything almost I blame the late games on ticket drop-offs.  I get this from season-ticket holders that I know personally who love the Ducks (enuf to be season ticket holders) who will not drive down from Portland and back when games end at 11:00 pm! It's nuts.

Edited by Mic

Another Autzen expansion is not happening any time soon.  When they expanded in 2002, they went from 41,698 to 54,000.  12,000 seats is a ton, when Eugene is around 180K and our neighbor Springfield is 62K.  That is nearly 25% of every human in the immediate area.  The next closest town of over 100K is Salem 1 hour north, but they tend to be OSU fans or at best 50/50 Ducks/Beavers.  Portland is 2 hours north.  Bend is 2.5 hours east and Medford is 2.5 hours south.

The AD and the Pac 12 have zero say in game times.  Once the contract has been signed with the TV companies, the TV companies have 100% say in when the game time starts.

I don't think ESPN was throwing Oregon and Pac 12 a bone with the 12:30 start time.  I think they actually hurt the Pac 12 because it was on at the same time as Tennessee at Georgia.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:51 AM, Goutes18 said:

I have to say that I was really surprised to see the sellout numbers.  Not being from Oregon, I have a different impression of Autzen that I think is probably pretty common among my fellow Ute fans.  Here was my perception:

Autzen has probably sold out every game in the last decade

Loud and intimidating - especially for big games - similar to playing at Utah

Always thought Eugene was bigger than it actually is and closer to Portland 

My thoughts on expansion would be to hold off - unless the stadium is full every week and there is a mile long waiting list for season tickets, it will ruin the atmosphere to have a bunch of empty seats

Interesting take.  I’ve heard good things about the atmosphere at Rice-Eccles.  I’m looking forward to watching the Ducks play there next season.

I don't personally see a stadium expansion happening anytime soon either, but I was referring to the future when we are National Champions! 😁

We all know Oregon has a substantial fan base.

One that keeps growing.