6. 6 Oregon
  7. 7 USC
  8. 8 LSU
  9. 9 Ole Miss
  10. 10 UCLA
  11. 11 Alabama
  12. 12 Clemson

• Go Ducks! 1

Seriously, who would have thought Oregon would be sitting at #6 after what happened to them in Atlanta back in September?  Or that 3 Pac-12 teams would be in the Top 10 together?

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/6/2022 at 11:15 AM, Mic said:

Seriously, who would have thought Oregon would be sitting at #6 after what happened to them in Atlanta back in September?

I did.

Still need to win out.

Starting this sat at 4pm against the purple poodles!

Lots of great football left.

Who would of thought we would be here last Labor day?!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I did.

K kid, you're remarkable. 

On 11/6/2022 at 11:19 AM, DanLduck said:

K kid, you're remarkable. 

Either that or you have access to DUCatti's motorcycle/tardis machine!

Edited by Mic
  • Haha 1

So did I. I didn't see the first game outcome tho I probably should have. I think we deserve to be ahead of Tenn at #5.

It was our first game with a new staff and schemes, a new QB, and a true road game.  

Hope I'm not being a homer but losses early have always been worth more in rankings. Hopefully Tuesday the committee will see it the same way ☺️.

• Applause 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, Duck 1972 said:

So did I. I didn't see the first game outcome tho I probably should have. I think we deserve to be ahead of Tenn at #5.

No, I don't think so, not yet.  Maybe after we beat UW, Utah and OSU.  Tenn lost a very tough one in Athens by a closer margin than our blowout.  I expected the polls to land just about exactly where they did including TCU's leap-frog over Tenn.  I'm happy we're still ranked above USC.

On 11/6/2022 at 11:13 AM, Mic said:
  2. 3 Michigan (2)

LOL. What Coach joined Jim Harbaugh in voting Michigan #1?

• Mic drop 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:40 AM, OregonDucks said:

LOL. What Coach joined Jim Harbaugh in voting Michigan #1?

The coach he just beat?  lol

On 11/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I think we deserve to be ahead of Tenn at #5

Give it time, Tennessee isn't going to make it to the SEC championship with Georgia finishing the season out with Mississippi St (6-3), Kentucky (6-3) and Georgia Tech (4-5).

A one loss conference champion vs a one loss non-conference champion with BOTH teams loosing to the same #1 Georgia team.  Sure Tennessee looked better than Oregon but Oregon played Georgia in week 1 so recency bias and the power-5 conference championship would give it to Oregon.

Truth is it's an epic battle for Oregon to actually win out.  The next four games (3 ranked in Top 15) are all games Oregon could lose so running that table is going to impress voters. 

We should absolutely not count any chickens but I feel confident in saying Oregon controls its destiny here especially since I think TCU is going to get beat by Texas next week.

"Hook those Frogs",  Gameday picked this game for a reason...

• Thumbs Up 1

Herbstreit has us #4 ahead of TCU and Tenn!

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Thumbs Up 2

One game at a time right 👍

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/6/2022 at 11:55 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Herbstreit has us #4

Georgia is clearly #1 they are an absolute beast.  

Ohio St and Michigan both look good but they haven't had much competition outside of Penn St.  We will see how this one turns out but their records and relative player talent level give the winner of this game the #2 spot.

TCU gets the #3 spot because they are undefeated in a power five conference.  TCU wasn't even ranked this season until week 6.  They jumped Oregon week 8 because they are undefeated and leading the Big12. TCU is not talented enough to be in the top 10 and that will be exposed at some point.  Sorry Cinderella, this isn't your story.

That leaves the open question of who are the best one loss teams and Oregon and Tennessee are certainly in that conversation along with Ole Miss, USC and UCLA.  The loser of Ohio St. and Michigan will join this conversation as well since the loser can't get a second shot for the Big10 championship as its East vs West.

I think it's too early to honestly answer the best one loss team question but Oregon is playing really well and has the win over UCLA.  The next 4 games will tell the tale of the PAC12 but I think the PAC is very strong this year and its champion will be in the playoff at #3 or #4.  The ACC and Big12 just don't look very good this year.  Oregon I think ends up #3 if we win out and beat USC in the PAC12 championship.

Some really talented teams have dropped out of the conversation because they haven't managed to get all the W's that their roster should have given them.  Alabama is extremely talented and I absolutely don't want to play them.  Clemson is extremely talented but I think Oregon is 50/50 to beat them.  Utah will be a tough tough game but at home I think it's 80/20 Oregon wins.  The loser of the USC vs UCLA game is a pretty good 2 loss team but I would put Oregon ahead of either based on how Oregon is playing.

I think Oregon winning out is a question that comes down to two items.  Can Oregon's offense stay in sync for every remaining game and can Oregon's defense bend but not break to keep Oregon in the lead.

If the offense falls out of sync for a whole game then we call it a great season and enjoy the good points over beers until spring camp.  If Oregon's defense breaks then it's a shootout and we hope we are playing a team with a poor enough defense that the offense carries the team.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’m keeping the highs low and the lows high right now. None of this matters if the Ducks lose again. I don’t think they will, but they certainly could. The next three games will be nervous-making. 

• Like 1

Assuming the Ducks win the next 4 we need to jump to #3 so they don't catch UGA in the first round.  One week at a time but, to me, they are 3, not 2, spots from where they need to be.

If TCU loses the chaos will truly be unleashed because the committee is already a little sketchy about them and this past week's performance isn't going to help.  If they lose, I think their CFP hopes are done and a ton of teams become viable for the #3 and #4 seeds

Edited by CalBear95

On 11/6/2022 at 1:28 PM, CalBear95 said:

Assuming the Ducks win the next 4 we need the to jump to #3 so they don't catch UGA in the first round.

That is a really good point.  I think the Bulldogs are going to crunch everyone, and I'd rather take on one of the others in the first round, if we get there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/6/2022 at 11:37 AM, Mic said:

No, I don't think so, not yet.  Maybe after we beat UW, Utah and OSU.  Tenn lost a very tough one in Athens by a closer margin than our blowout.  I expected the polls to land just about exactly where they did including TCU's leap-frog over Tenn.  I'm happy we're still ranked above USC.

Mic,

Had Oregon played Georgia at the end of the season as Tennessee has, I would agree with you.  But the fact that it was Oregon's First Game of the new season, it is apples and oranges.  Oregon has a completely NEW STAFF, Scheme and role players for the team to adjust to in game.  Tennessee had 8 games prior to their meeting Georgia along with an INTACT Staff and players familiar with the program schemes.  Dan Lanning and Crew have continued to make huge strides with the offense, the defense has not broke yet.

DuckFan 76,

Oregon's defense needs to get in the face of QB's and tackle much better while limiting yards.  While they keep the scores down, if we meet a solid defense, our defense will need to be solid also.  Relying on the offense to outscore the opponents was what hurt Chip and Helf.  Auburn proved that refs can affect the outcome of games and Ohio proved defense kills offenses.  Georgia and Ohio St have great defenses.

• Thumbs Up 1

All I want is..

to beat the Huskies 

for our QB1 to stay healthy

our D to reach its potential

Beat the Utes and the Beavs

beat SC in the Pac-12 championship

get a 3 seed in CFP and beat 2 seeded    TCU

Beat Georgia in the CFP final 

That my friends would only be THE best college football season of all time.

Fairytale or …

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

After watching USC/Cal last night I think the Trojans' D is a weak link. Cal almost put them in the L column. That could bode well for us if we match up with them in the PAC Championship.

• Go Ducks! 1

6 is a strong position. Win out and they are in. If Ducks or USC end season with one loss, they are in CFP. Brand means something and both teams have it in spades.

On 11/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, Mic said:

Seriously, who would have thought Oregon would be sitting at #6 after what happened to them in Atlanta back in September?  Or that 3 Pac-12 teams would be in the Top 10 together?

Absolutely not me. A few brave souls around here tried to compare that GA thrashing game to Chip Kelly's first game against Boise state.

Frankly, I would hear none of it. But clearly, thankfully, they knew much better than I did.

• Like 1

WATCH JOEL KLATT SHOW:  TCU, TENNESSEE & OREGON BENEFIT FROM CLEMSON AND ALABAMA LOSSES

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Joel Klatt discussed the Clemson Tigers and Alabama Crimson Tide’s upsets from week 10. Nobody has dominated more in...

It's fun to dream, but I can't get ahead of myself.  

Win the next game.  That's all that matters.

Do that each week and we'll all be mighty happy at the end of the year - but I gotta think one game at a time or set myself up for too much disappointment - particularly since getting to the CFP involves a lot of stuff the Ducks can't control (like whether TCU loses again, whether a 2-loss LSU or Bama team wins the SEC and they and UGA both go, etc.).

On 11/6/2022 at 12:27 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I think Oregon winning out is a question that comes down to two items.  Can Oregon's offense stay in sync for every remaining game and can Oregon's defense bend but not break to keep Oregon in the lead.

I agree with much of your take but, at the risk of stating the obvious, would be explicit in saying that the single greatest factor to the Ducks’ continued success this season is the health and confidence of Bo Nix.  If Bo falters for any reason then the wheels will come right off this offense.  

Edited by Otis Day
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, Otis Day said:

I agree with much of your take but, at the risk of stating the obvious, would be explicit in saying that the single greatest factor to the Ducks’ continued success this season is the health and confidence of Bo Nix.  If Bo falters for any reason then the wheels will come right off this offense.  

Unfortunately I must agree with you and I think just about everyone on this site would as well.  Our backup QB's have shown us nothing to inspire any confidence this complex offense of Dilly's can continue to function without Bo running it.  When you figure how many TD's Bo accounts for, it's most of our entire Offense.  

This latest ranking now makes Oregon the highest ranked 1-loss team; higher than Clemson.  Alabama now has 2 losses, the team formerly above Oregon in the 1-loss category.  With Michigan & Ohio St., both unbeaten, yet to play each other it will be interesting to see if Oregon can hold that spot after one of them lose to the other. Im guessing not.

On 11/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Didn’t Tennessee lose to Georgia?

whoops.... uh .... yeah ... thanks!  Back to square One.

Edited by Mic

CFP is "supposed" to take in account a conference championship.  In theory a Pac 12 champion at 12-1 should be ranked higher than a 12-1 or 11-1 non-conference champion.  However, with Tennessee and Oregon both having played Georgia, it will strain that theory.

My personal opinion, the loser between tOSU and Michigan fall behind the Ducks, if the Ducks have won out.  The Ducks strength of schedule, #7, to finish the season is much stronger than any of the 6 teams ahead of them.

It is a crap shoot with the rotating CFP committee.  They haven't been perfect and haven't always appeared to use logic, but I haven't had any real complaint in their final 4 since the beginning of the CFP.

Similar to when Dennis Dixon was leading the team towards a championship date and Heisman recognition, this team’s offensive rhythm runs off both the legs and arm of Bo Nix, and — like Dennis — putting himself in harms way when necessary.  

Great rewards demand great risks. The eye test suggests Bo is not as physically vulnerable as Dennis was. He’s a smart guy who plays to win, and not to expose himself unnecessarily except when required. 

Still, there’s times I’m holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully, we’ve put being snake bitten in the past.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling

On 11/7/2022 at 11:36 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

It's fun to dream, but I can't get ahead of myself.  

Win the next game.  That's all that matters.

Do that each week and we'll all be mighty happy at the end of the year - but I gotta think one game at a time or set myself up for too much disappointment - particularly since getting to the CFP involves a lot of stuff the Ducks can't control (like whether TCU loses again, whether a 2-loss LSU or Bama team wins the SEC and they and UGA both go, etc.).

Absolutely, none of this CFP talk matters if we don't win out. That starts with Saturday. But the possibilities are getting really interesting now. Which makes the stakes a little higher with each game.