Pennsylvania Duck

Women's Basketball: 11/7/22 Northwestern @ Ducks

DUCKS OPEN SEASON MONDAY WITH NORTHWESTERN

The 2022-23 Oregon women's basketball season officially gets underway Monday, Nov. 7 at 3 p.m.,

as the Ducks host Northwestern out of the Big Ten at Matthew Knight Arena.

The Ducks look to extend their winning streak in season openers to 10 straight, dating back to 2013-14,

while head coach Kelly Graves seeks to be a perfect 9-0 in openers at the helm of the Ducks.

GODUCKS.COM

EUGENE, Ore. — The 2022-23 Oregon women's basketball season officially gets underway Monday, Nov. 7 at 3 p.m., as the Ducks...

Young Ducks will look to cut teeth against Northwestern in season-opener

Half of Oregon's available players will be appearing in Duck colors for the first time when the

women's basketball team hosts Northwestern for the season-opening game on Monday afternoon. 

Following Sedona Prince's injury, just 10 healthy players remain to start the season with

four being true freshmen with a fifth newcomer in Arizona State transfer Taya Hanson.

247SPORTS.COM

Young Ducks will look to cut teeth against Northwester in season-opener

Wildcats Open Season with Road Test at #20 Oregon

The Wildcats have won 13 conseuctive season-openers under Joe McKeown, dating back to 2008.

It marks their first time opening the season on the road since 2018, when the 'Cats won a dramatic 57-55 matchup over

Green Bay, as well as their first season-opener against a ranked opponent since 1994-95 (at #17 Washington).

NUSPORTS.COM

Northwestern is set to kick off its 2022 season with a trip to Eugene, Oregon to face the No. 20-ranked Oregon Ducks on...

Can Oregon women’s basketball be a better team with less proven talent?

Kelly Graves:  I don’t think we’ve taken a step back talent-wise.

Others now have more of an opportunity to play. I really like this group.

I think we’ve got more than enough talent. I like where we’re at. I think people are going

to maybe sleep on us a little bit, which I think can be a good thing.”

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Kelly Graves believes No. 20 Oregon, which opens the season against Northwestern at 3 p.m., hasn’t become a less talented...

Ducks won 100-57

Freshmen star as Oregon begins season with a blowout victory over Northwestern

No. 20 Oregon began their season on Monday against Big Ten foe Northwestern,

and in the debut of a top-five recruiting class, Oregon secured a 100-57 victory. 

Freshman Grace VanSlooten announced her presence as a potential future star for the Ducks

with 20 points, two rebounds, and three assists in her Matthew Knight Arena debut. 

Fellow first-year Jennah Isai also announced her presence, coming in with 17 points, two rebounds,

and three assists in her debut, leading the team with nine free throw makes on 10 attempts.

247SPORTS.COM

Freshmen star as Oregon begins season with a blowout victory over Northwestern

Paopao has been in the weight room! Finally some talented freshman scorers, Isai, Gray, and VanSlooten - excellent. The number 2 recruiting class is just that.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

True freshmen Grace VanSlooten and Jennah Isai had 20 and 17 points, respectively, to lead four players in double-figures for the...

"UO’s fourth freshman, Kennedy Basham, had two points and three rebounds and left with a right knee injury and did not return."

Hope it is not serious!

On 11/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, ArkieDuck said:

Paopao has been in the weight room! Finally some talented freshman scorers, Isai, Gray, and VanSlooten - excellent. The number 2 recruiting class is just that.

I know it's early but this trio looks so much stronger than the trio that transferred after last season.  With none of them playing more than 26 minutes they scored 20 (VanSlooten), 17 (Isai), and 14 (Gray) points, had 10 assists (vs. 4 turnovers), and 5 steals.  I don't recall seeing anything close to those numbers all season from the departed. 

The team overall also looks so much more focused, fluid, relaxed, and committed than last year's version.  (With some exceptions, of course.)  But:  there is a lot of depth at the guard position, but a major injury up front, especially to VanSlooten, would be a major blow.  So fingers crossed on that.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

GODUCKS.COM

Grace VanSlooten scored 20 points, Jennah Isai added 17 and Chance Gray set the tone defensively as the UO women beat...

"It was really exciting," VanSlooten said of her debut. "I give a lot of props to my teammates for getting me the ball, getting me open shots. It was a lot of fun."

This group is a lot more fun to watch than the two post Sabrina teams.  They run, pass the ball, drive the bucket and, when they wish, pop through some 3's.  There are six guards and Kelly Graves had three of them on the court all of the time.  Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference who is playing.  They substituted frequently with no apparent drop-off.  With only ten players suited up there are not a lot of choices.

The guards, #0, Tava Hanson, Sr. transfer from ASU, #2, Chance Gray, Fr. from Cincinnati, #3, Ahlise Hurst, 5th yr. transfer last year from N. Mexico, #4, Endyia Rogers, Sr, transfer last year from USC, #12, Te-Hina Papa, Jr. from Oceanside CA, and #23, Jenny Isai, Fr. from Surprise AZ, all shoot well from outside.  Rogers, with seven assists, is the only true point guard, IMHO, but others can fill that role when needed.  All six of them can drive the basket and run the court.  These women made more fast-break baskets this afternoon than I saw all last year.

6'-3" forward, Grace VanSlooten has skills from inside and on the perimeter.  She made one steal at the Northwestern free throw line and proceeded to drive the length of the court with never a doubt that she would score a contested lay-in.  Went through traffic and right over the defender.  Grace made several catch an shoot buckets, always aware of her target.  Great hands, excellent court presence and basketball sense.  Surprising for a frosh.

Papao looks healthy, which is different from last year when she never fully recovered from her injury.  She was having fun for the first time in more than a year.

6'-8" Phillipina Kyei has matured.  She starts in the post and has more maturity and better hands than last year.  Still a little rough on defense, getting herself into foul trouble.  By conference play she could be a force for opponents to deal with.

The Ducks started 9-0 and had quarter scores of 21-7, 50-27, 74-43 and the final of 100-57.  If you're in town when they play, or if they have a game close to your home you really should take the time to watch them.  This afternoon's game took 1hr 45 mins.

• Great post! 3
  • Like 1

Grace VanSlooten and the Duck frosh flex talent in blowout win over Wildcats

Oregon's freshmen class left quite the positive first impression in their collegiate debuts on Monday afternoon. 

The four-player class accounted for 53 of the team's 100 points in their opening day win over Northwestern at Matthew Knight Arena.

The foursome of Grace VanSlooten, Chance Gray, Jennah Isai and Kennedy Basham have no choice but to contribute,

as head coach Kelly Graves put it after the win.

247SPORTS.COM

Grace Vanslooten and the Duck frosh flex talent in blowout win over Wildcats

My apology to Jennah Isai for misspelling her first name in my post above.  Autocorrect got me.  Such a beautiful name should never be defiled!  

• Applause 1

WATCH: Grace VanSlooten and Te-Hina Paoapo were excited by first game showing

247SPORTS.COM

WATCH: Grace VanSlooten and Te-Hina Paoapo were excited by first game showing