Babyjesus615

Lanning To Auburn Rumor?

WWW.SI.COM

Our making the case series continues with Dan Lanning, who has interest in the Auburn coaching position.

Is this all smoke or is there substance to this? No way we he bails after a season....

Right?

Edited by Babyjesus615
  • Wow 1

That is one of the most baseless claims I've ever read. No substance what so ever. 

'he fits'???

'Lanning is showing mutual interest'?

What?

On 11/6/2022 at 5:41 PM, 1Funduck said:

That is one of the most baseless claims I've ever read. No substance what so ever. 

'he fits'???

'Lanning is showing mutual interest'?

What?

I mean it just depends on the amount of stock you want to give to the “sources” referenced in the article. That is where the mutual interest statements originate. Impossible to know the accuracy right now without knowledge of who those sources are, but since it is an article posted on SI I doubt they would just make things up out of thin air. I don’t think you can just 100% hand wave it away. It’s concerning at the very least, especially with respect to the recent history of coaching here.

You might want to look up sports illustrated and what kind of company they are and how/who they get their content from these days. This isn't the Rick Reilly days of SI.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

For the article to be authentic, there must be some proof behind "our sources," and as we have seen in other journalistic arenas--that means it is usually made up.

There are times to wring our hands and discuss the obvious negative; in 2016--I let everyone discuss what was happening with the Helfrich program, as I did last year with Mario.

But now?  When we are No.6 in the nation, and in "a magical time" we have people who must find and beat the negative on us at our most fun time?  We will find out in about six weeks if we have coaches next season, so can we please enjoy the next six weeks?  (or until we lose?)

My thanks,

Charles

Fans in AZ2 by J3P.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

If I was an agent with a client that was a hot new coach I would want his name being used as an interested candidate at other Universities. 

From a monetary standpoint I am sure it helps to have DL’s name being thrown around. 

I suppose only those that are close to DL would know if he is actually interested in coaching at Auburn. I won’t truly believe any article until I hear him say that he is leaving. 

Edited by Drake
  • Applause 1

Welcome @DrippyDuck 👌

Hope to read more from you!

• Applause 1

It’s likely that the article is aimed at the football players.  The team melted down after Mario name was being tossed around at Miami.  Players that have seen both “the snake” and “”Mario” leave in a short period of time would be susceptible the let this kind of stuff in their head.

• Mic drop 1

On 11/6/2022 at 5:29 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Is this all smoke or is there substance to this?

Click bait

• Thumbs Up 1

Auburn is a rebuild at this point. 

And though we love to make fun of Cristobal, the fact of the matter is that he can recruit and he built the backbone of this roster.

Yes, Lanning absolutely dived into the transfer portal and got some key players, Bo Nix being one, and did a solid job finishing off the last recruiting class. 

But players like Franklin and the enjtr offensive line and DJ Johnson were all Cristobal recruits and are central to this team. 

Auburn doesn't have a roster that would allow Lanning to walk in and get successful outcome year one. He is successful at Oregon because so far he has shown he is a fantastic coach but he also had a solid foundation of talent to build from that was being underutilized. 

Will Lanning flee after a year and risk being the next Willie Taggart? I doubt it... And we all know Lanning is getting a pay raise after this season. Mullens and Knights aren't going to let him go so easily. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 2

On 11/6/2022 at 9:07 PM, DrippyDuck said:

since it is an article posted on SI I doubt they would just make things up out of thin air.

This isn't an article from the national SI site. This is from the local SI Auburn site, known as Auburn Daily. This would be equivalent to our SI Ducks Digest. I don't put much credence in "sources" that are not revealed. I also don't think this is the way Lanning would go about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it is natural to think that Coach Lanning's name, just like Dilly's, won't pop up with a number of head coaching searches.

It's okay and good for the coaches. Coach Lanning and staff picked up the Duck players after that brutal Georgia game and set them on the right course. The staff installed new systems (both sides of the ball) and developed the skills of the players. 8-1 and No.6 validates this.

Just as we watch the games and progress of OBD's, well so do AD's at schools in need of a coach. The more success the more AD's will watch. It's part of big time college football.

Auburn needs a HC in place ASAP......early signing day is in a matter of weeks. Do you really think Coach Lanning is available, anyway? This man is the type who finishes what he starts. Take your finger off the panic button. 

Auburn can pick from Hugh Freeze(Liberty), Matt Rhule, Bill O'Brien even Deon Sanders.  No big buyouts on Hugh or Deon. Matt and Bill are available immediately.

If Alabama was calling then I would be concerned. Just because Auburn plays football in Alabama, well they don't play football like Bama. The Tigers are a middle of the pack SEC team with a pretty thin cupboard. Boosters wont wait 3 or 4 years for a rebuild.

Oregon will be playing in their 4th straight title game. And Coach Lanning and staff will be getting a nice pay raise.

GO DUCKS! Beat the huskies....

• Applause 2

Here’s a quote from Hugh Freeze. 

I don’t know that Auburn wants me. I have no clue,” Freeze told 247Sports. “I know this: I have won everywhere I’ve been and my staff and kids have turned programs fast. It’s our culture that we instill. I know we do that and the proof is in the pudding.”

Read into his response what you will, but he sounds like a guy who is looking to move up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Canzano: Oregon coach Dan Lanning not interested in Auburn opening...Don't believe the rumors

I promised that I would give you sourced, in-depth reporting here. Stuff you can’t get anywhere else.

I can tell you whoever reported “mutual” interest didn’t bother to check with Lanning or his agent.

I did...Lanning has zero interest.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Don't believe the rumors...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It’s a crazy world made up of all sorts of people. Some are trustworthy, solid, and true to their words, and some figure that the best end for them and theirs justifies doing whatever it takes to get there. 

We’ve watched Dan Lanning since he’s been at the University of Oregon. I feel like he’s been authentic regarding the kind of person he is.  His staff and his players love him because he has his priorities straight and he is a man of integrity. 

Lanning is one of the most intelligent football coaches Oregon has ever had. He knows he is blessed with some special resources at Oregon. He has taken what Mario left, combined it with an amazing staff and some great transfers, and he is building something truly special. Only a selfish idiot would leave Oregon at this time, after only one year, to go to Auburn; and that’s not the Dan Lanning I feel like we all have come to know. Let’s savor and enjoy this special moment in Duck football history.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2

Lanning’s agent is probably mutually interested in getting a big payday raise is my guess. Wait until after the biggest (hopefully) 4 game stretch of the year and you’ll be handsomely rewarded in due time if all goes well. 

I am locking this thread, as we have some posts that went off-the-rails.  (You cannot see them)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck