FishDuck Article

How the Passing Game of the Huskies Can Bite the Ducks

Washington’s new coach Kalen DeBoer brings his transfer QB Michael Penix Jr. and the No. 1 passing offense in college football to Eugene to face the Ducks. What is DeBoer scheming up to attack the Ducks Cover-2 passing defense? Does Oregon’s Dan Lanning have some scheme surprises of his own? Can the Ducks slow DeBoer’s air attack down and stay undefeated ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Washington’s new coach Kalen DeBoer brings his transfer QB Michael Penix Jr. and the No. 1 passing offense in college football to Eugene to...
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Washington has a potent offense. They’re scary this year and I’m sure they’re getting sick and tired of losing to the Ducks. They’ll be plenty motivated.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was reviewing the team statistics yesterday at www.Pac-12.com, when It was noted that passing defense ranked lowest for Oregon in the comparative statistical categories.

There was only a small difference in passing yards allowed, and average yards per completion, but it stood out becsuse Oregon was either in the first or second position in most of the other catagories.

With the Duck's prolific offense they can overcome points allowed by outscoring the opponent. 

This is the time of the season when the going gets tough. I hope that the Ducks defense, especially the passing defense, steps up for break ups, tight coverage, interceptions, and prevents chunk yardage gains.

Edited by Notalot
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

DAZENCONFUSED, thank you for this well thought out, well organized and well explained article. The huskies can definitely score a bunch of points and they have a solid, experienced QB who can make NFL throws. Going to challenge our ever improving D for sure......

The huskies are 6-0 at home but just 1-2 on the road. They will definitely give the Ducks a hard fought game that may come down to the 4th quarter before its settled.

If the Ducks can pressure Penix and disrupt his timing then interception opportunities will be there for the taking.  A few sacks and a few turnovers by the Ducks D will have the huskies playing catch up all day.

Going to be a wide open game and a big challenge for the Ducks.

GO DUCKS........

For some reason this game has been on my radar all season. If our Ducks can continue to score at the pace they have been then worry not. 

One thing I noticed in the Beavs game that Penix throws a lot of 3/4 side arm throws and if you favor his left side I think our Front seven should be able to get some hands on his throws. Most of his balls are ropes that don’t get much air under them, low trajectory.

This is a game our middle backers will need to step up and protect the middle. So far they haven’t been able to do it. Sewell seems slow this year and Flowe is out of position a lot. Hopefully they can right the ship.

Go🦆🦆🦆s

Great analysis, but until the dawgs can win a competitive game away from their kennel Autzen will be enough of a factor to send the dawgs back north with their collective tails between their legs.

I also think Dan Lanning knows how important this game and the game against the rodents is to the Oregon Program. He will begin to record his record against the two most hated rivals. I think Dan will be up to the task.

animals-dog.gif

My biggest concern is that Hill will be sitting out the 1st half from a targeting call. Other than that I just don't see UW winning at Autzen. 

To one dimensional.

Edited by GODUCKS15

I think we will do the same to them as we did to UCLA. Limited possessions equals a loss no matter how they attack us. Autzen will be rocking. As long as we play a clean offensive game they can't stop us.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

I think as long as Bo Nix keeps playing at the level he is the Ducks are going to be hard to beat for the rest of the season. 

UW and Penix present the biggest passing threat we have faced this so far this year. 

We will have a Thursday article looking at some of the things we may see Lanning break out to defend Penix and the UW passing game.

I think your situational analysis is spot on.  UW knows they have to score a lot of points to have a chance to win at Autzen, they will play to their strengths and take chances with their offense.  They will also need take aways on defense to get the win so they will need to disguise their coverage extremely well.  I would also expect they use hurry up to confuse Oregon's defensive sets and try to create broken coverage.

On the Oregon side we have something that works so I think Oregon will come out doing exactly what we have been but the coaches will have thought through adjustments if UW is able to stop what we are doing.

Oregon's pass defense is going to get tested and that will make the game feel ugly for us but in the end I think UW can't match Oregon's multiplicity and is going to be overpursuing on defense and will make enough mistakes on both sides of the ball to lose the game.

The Beavers made Penix's game difficult and held them to 24 points.  If Oregon can do as well and still score in the 40's, they'll not only cover the spread (not important) but put the 'beatdown' on the Huskies fans want.

I think it'll be tough game for the Ducks because I think the Beavers have a better defense than O.  Their problem was they can't score like the Ducks and they continue to lose close, lower scoring games.  

We should probably expect UW to score more points than 24 and O needing 40+ to win.  GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

The 24 points may have been due to the weather rather than the D.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ball control is going to be real important here. So Oregon will want to run the ball, burn the clock and score at the end of sustained drives. 

Washington's offense is potent but the problem with all pass happy offenses is that they can go quick when it comes to time of possession. Quick if they score and quick if they go three-and-out. Keep Penix on the sideline and bully that Washington defense.

With fewer possessions Washington may get a bit desperate and make some mistakes and that is where Oregon needs to take advantage. 

It's a very simple game plan... far more difficult to execute. 

Thankfully... Washington isn't a team that travels all too well. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The passing game has been O's most glaring weakness - even Colorado had an 81-yd throw for score, (they're only TD) against the secondary. Hill will be out to start the game and UW probably knows running the ball against O is not going to lead to a lot of scores. But I just don't think UW will be able to keep up O in scoring, not without some Oregon turnovers.  

Still, Oregon needs to get pressure on Penix and force him to throw the ball away or make bad throws. It's Washington's best chance to beat Oregon and they probably know that as well.  I'd really hate to see UW score more points against O than they managed against OSU.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/7/2022 at 10:25 AM, Mic said:

Still, Oregon needs to get pressure on Penix and force him to throw the ball away or make bad throws. It's Washington's best chance to beat Oregon and they probably know that as well.  I'd really hate to see UW score more points against O than they managed against OSU.

I think they could score more on us than they did on the Beavs, I think the Beavs have the best overall defense in the Pac-12 this year. They don't have the offense to match which is why they aren't even in the running for the conference championship. 

A big portion of UW's passing game is deep shots. Oregon gave up a touchdown to Colorado because of a miscommunication that shouldn't happen this week. But you are right the key will be getting pressure on Penix which Oregon hasn't done a great job of on the whole this year. We should have DJ Johnson (or at least I hope so!) back this week and that would be a big boost for us on the pass rushing front.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, SeattleDuck said:

The 24 points may have been due to the weather rather than the D.

Definitely a factor.  Unfortunately it will be clear in Eugene this Saturday.  So expect Pennix to fire the ball everywhere.   Hope DL flexes his D wisdom and do a Bulldog on the puppies!

• Thumbs Up 1

I am very concerned about this matchup for reasons well stated in the article . . . it's the Huskies' strength against the weakest part of the Oregon defense.  Is DJ Johnson going to be able to go?  Without him, it will be tougher to generate a consistent pass rush and make Penix uncomfortable.  The Huskies O-line has been solid, and they have allowed only about 1 sack per game average.  To at least make him move and uncomfortable in the pocket would help tremendously.

I agree with David M., the Ducks need to run the ball . . . a lot . . . or at least maintain long drives . . . and shorten the game, limiting UW's offensive possessions.  I think that is the recipe for the best chance at success.   

If the Ducks can continue to control the clock, be efficient on offense, and play with few to no turnovers, they have a great chance at a win. 

• Thumbs Up 1

We rely on some pretty young players at key positions on defense. They are getting more experienced and getting better every game. Cornerback is a very difficult position to learn.

Our defense is stingy against the run, and requires their QB to have a great game to keep up with our offense. 

Autzen is probably worth 6 points in this game, and if Bo Nix manages the game well, then Oregon covers the spread.