FishDuck Article

Lanning Deserves Praise for Oregon’s Offensive Renaissance

Kenny Dillingham has done wonders with the Oregon offense. Oregon’s offensive coordinator has completely transformed a unit that was entirely one-dimensional and underwhelming during Mario Cristobal’s time as Oregon’s head coach. The Ducks are now equally capable of attacking defenses in the air and on the ground, and they’ve done so in emphatic fashion, scoring more than 40 points in ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Kenny Dillingham has done wonders with the Oregon offense. Oregon's offensive coordinator has completely transformed a unit that was...
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Lanning is the unquestioned leader of this team. Dillingham plays a critical role, but so does Klemm, Locklyn, and Adams. One could also say Mehringer, and Love along with Beckham have also done wonders with the players.

What has been truly astounding is Lanning, out of the gate, hasn't had one coach underperform. A guy who has never been a head coach, who is extremely young, is a Maestro with a headset. I suppose the only question is can he be an even better head coach, stay tuned.

As far as Dillingham there will be coaches calling from all points to take his job. On that note there will be players calling from all points wanting to do what Bo did next year. How many DJU's, and Van Dykes out there just waiting to get unshackled from their programs like Bo did?

I don't think it was dumb luck Lanning brought in Dillingham and we are seeing the success we are seeing. Lanning knows what it takes, and will keep it going.

My favorite quote from Lanning is his 'so what, now what,' after mistakes. This is an amazing quote as it shows faith in the players, and his continued aggressive mindset in 4 words. That is exactly what he will say when coaches, and players leave too.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thank you Joshua for your reassuring words about Coach Lanning.  The Oregon offense this year is fun to watch - unpredictable and exciting! Just when a defense thinks they know what is coming, a new complementary angle is added.  

I agree with Haywarduck, "A guy who has never been a head coach, who is extremely young, is a Maestro with a headset. I suppose the only question is can he be an even better head coach, stay tuned."

I appreciate all your articles Joshua and look forward to more!

• Applause 1

Lanning is definitely instrumental in the development of our offensive scheme. To be effective on offense you have to understand defense, and vice versa. 

Dillingham told the story of how he met DL in one of his interviews. He and Lanning have similar passions for coaching football.

They both embrace the idea that neither of them knows everything about offense and defense, and are willing to learn new ideas from each other, and other coaches.

Our offensive playbook has a solid foundation. However, it is also fluid in that our coaches watch what other teams are doing, and are willing to add plays they believe we can run effectively.

When we played UCLA did anyone else get the sense that our offense was similar to Chip Kelly’s. That’s not a coincidence at all. 

Well put, Joshua. Sometimes I think the Ducks are coached by someone named Danny Lanningham. There's clearly a mind-meld between the two.

Not only is the Duck offense exciting and explosive, but when it so chooses can also take 7, 8+ minutes off the clock on a long drive. Win, win.

• Thumbs Up 1

Coach appears to be a rare talent in one sense at least:  high IQ and EQ.

He knows the game inside and out plus he is able elevate his coaches and players to high level of collective performance.  

In my time on many Boards, in the for- and non-profit sectors, these are the executive candidates that entities pine for and seldom find.

Thanks, Joshua for a fine read!

Great points in the article!  It makes sense that DL believes in explosive plays BECAUSE he comes with a defensive background.  Coaching at Georgia he had to stop quite a few extremely talented offenses and he knows better than most what gives a defense problems.

Fantastic reminders Joshua, of how the HC influences the offense, just the prior coach did in a negative way.  It gives us comfort over the long-term...THANK YOU.

Mr. FishDuck

I remember reading somewhere how Lanning stepped into the qb room with KennyD there, listened, then commented on how certain of the plays being discussed really stress a defense.

How maybe slightly changing a players location could cause more confusion. 

I remember reading Justin Herbert saying something similar how the Chargers coach being a former DC helped him understand and read defenses better.

I believe both of these coaches make each other better.

Someday, coach D will likely move on.

If (when) he does, coach Lanning has already proven he can get good coaches to come work with him. Our Duck future looks Rosey.

And the grass in Eugene is a really dark green!

It is such a relief to watch our offense be often creative and joyful.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, Haywarduck said:

Lanning is the unquestioned leader of this team. Dillingham plays a critical role, but so does Klemm, Locklyn, and Adams. One could also say Mehringer, and Love along with Beckham have also done wonders with the players.

What has been truly astounding is Lanning, out of the gate, hasn't had one coach underperform. A guy who has never been a head coach, who is extremely young, is a Maestro with a headset. I suppose the only question is can he be an even better head coach, stay tuned.

As far as Dillingham there will be coaches calling from all points to take his job. On that note there will be players calling from all points wanting to do what Bo did next year. How many DJU's, and Van Dykes out there just waiting to get unshackled from their programs like Bo did?

I don't think it was dumb luck Lanning brought in Dillingham and we are seeing the success we are seeing. Lanning knows what it takes, and will keep it going.

My favorite quote from Lanning is his 'so what, now what,' after mistakes. This is an amazing quote as it shows faith in the players, and his continued aggressive mindset in 4 words. That is exactly what he will say when coaches, and players leave too.

Good stuff all around, Hayward, and I think you make a really good point about potential transfer quarterbacks moving forward that are in situations that Nix was in before he transferred. DJU in particular is a great example.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:20 AM, Smith72 said:

Thank you Joshua for your reassuring words about Coach Lanning.  The Oregon offense this year is fun to watch - unpredictable and exciting! Just when a defense thinks they know what is coming, a new complementary angle is added.  

I agree with Haywarduck, "A guy who has never been a head coach, who is extremely young, is a Maestro with a headset. I suppose the only question is can he be an even better head coach, stay tuned."

I appreciate all your articles Joshua and look forward to more!

Thank you for reading and commenting, I really appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

On 11/8/2022 at 10:45 AM, Drake said:

Lanning is definitely instrumental in the development of our offensive scheme. To be effective on offense you have to understand defense, and vice versa. 

Dillingham told the story of how he met DL in one of his interviews. He and Lanning have similar passions for coaching football.

They both embrace the idea that neither of them knows everything about offense and defense, and are willing to learn new ideas from each other, and other coaches.

Our offensive playbook has a solid foundation. However, it is also fluid in that our coaches watch what other teams are doing, and are willing to add plays they believe we can run effectively.

When we played UCLA did anyone else get the sense that our offense was similar to Chip Kelly’s. That’s not a coincidence at all. 

I love that they're bouncing ideas off of one another since each has a background on the opposite side of the ball. It really is a good example of how smart, non-egotistical coaches can work together to form something special.