Pennsylvania Duck

Joel Klatt: Oregon Made Scheduling Mistake with Georgia

“Scheduling matters a great deal,” Klatt said. “It might be one of the only things that matter. College football

has become about recruiting and scheduling. There was no reason and no benefit to playing that game.”

Since the UCLA game, I have noticed Oregon has been a frequent topic for his shows. He appears to be a

fan of the Ducks. 

The video from his show regarding this topic is inside the article. It is not too long and he does make some good 

points. 

Do you agree with him? Where would we be if there had been no Georgia to start the season? What if we had played

a cupcake? Is there any advantage to scheduling these big games out of conference?

THESPUN.COM

One of the biggest early season games of the 2022 college football season was between Oregon and Georgia.  The best team from...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

“Scheduling matters a great deal,” Klatt said. “It might be one of the only things that matter. College football

has become about recruiting and scheduling. There was no reason and no benefit to playing that game.” 

Do you agree with him? Where would we be if there had been no Georgia to start the season? What if we had played

a cupcake? Is there any advantage to scheduling these big games out of conference?

THESPUN.COM

One of the biggest early season games of the 2022 college football season was between Oregon and Georgia.  The best team from...

In my own opinion, without any outside knowledge what-so-ever, I would disagree (with respect) to what Klatt said when he says "There was no reason and no benefit in playing that game."  Sure, If Oregon had scheduled Idaho or some such opponent instead, Oregon might be 9-0 right now but ranked any higher than #6?  Possibly #5 but probably not #4 due to a 'soft' SOS.

I'm going to assume the Georgia game was scheduled long before Dan Lanning came on the scene.  It's been the thought of many fans and coaches that to learn how to play with the big dogs you have to play the big dogs.  Playing it always safe with lesser teams doesn't show a team where they need to work to get better and just how a really good team looks and plays.

There might be just a bt of prejudice here.  I've never been a big fan of Joe Klatt.  And I don't really remember him being a big fan of Oregon either.

Edited by Mic
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yep.  Oregon scheduled the game against Georgia in 2018.  Ducks were coming off a 7-6 season and Georgia was coming off a 13-2 season in 2017.

It is extremely rare for a game to be scheduled within 1 year of it being played.  The first open date currently is 2027.  Already have 1 game scheduled in 2033.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

The Georgia Bulldogs and Oregon Ducks will meet in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta on Sept. 3, 2022, according to Tim Tucker of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution...

FBSCHEDULES.COM

View future Oregon football schedules and opponents at FBSchedules.com.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pre-CFP Oregon had to schedule tough non-conference games to get traction in polls with strength-of-schedule since we played one more conference game to our detriment.

At least that's how I remember it used to be....but take me with several grains of salt.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2022 at 3:17 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

At least that's how I remember it used to be

The BCS era had computerized polls that included strength of schedule in the algorithm.  It got a lot of heat and EVERY year the sports writers would predict the doomsday scenario of a worthy undefeated team iced out of the championship.

The controversy gave way to the 4 team playoff to make sure the actual best team in CFB would be certain to get into the playoff to prove their case.  Nobody honestly cared about 2-4, it was about ensuring the actual best team would get in and beat everyone else.

Now the controversy of the 4 team system is giving way to the 12 team system... more games, more broadcasts, more money.

The conference championships are a good idea because it ensures rivalries get answered on the field.  I'm good with the playoff but playing too many football games is really bad for the body and has ended NFL careers before they even started.  I just don't think there is an actual perfect solution.

I remember when the AP and Coaches polls picked the champions and they didn't always agree (looking at you UW & Miami).  Hypothetical games played out in the minds of completely unbiased sports writers and the teams head coaches...  I guess the general arc of history here is for improvement.  So at least we got that going for us.

• Go Ducks! 1

If we are 1-loss conference champ, the odds are we'll go to the CFP.  The Georgia loss just took away our margin for error.  Clearly that loss, as horrific as it was, doesn't skew the CFP committee that much.  We are the second highest 1-loss team and Tennessee has beaten Alabama and LSU.  Why is UCLA, a 1-loss team whose only loss is to Oregon not ranked in the top-ten? (well maybe after the new standings come out)?  Their OOC schedule was complete and total garbage.  SOS still matters.

I"m glad we play teams like Georgia, but we need home and home series, not one-offs on their turf.

I just can't wait for the CFP expansion so a 2-loss conference champion can still get in.

Edited by noDucknewby

On 11/8/2022 at 3:17 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Pre-CFP Oregon had to schedule tough non-conference games to get traction in polls with strength-of-schedule since we played one more conference game to our detriment.

At least that's how I remember it used to be....but take me with several grains of salt.

It's probably about the same now and with USC & UCLA leaving probably even more important that Oregon plays some strong OOC trams to keep their SOS up.  Let's just say USC & UCLA leaving didn't do Oregon, (nor the rest of the Pac) any good. It's not something either of those two teams probably give wit about, tho.  

• Thumbs Up 2

The south east chickens never travel more than 1 time zone. Seven league games and 5 directional teams. Their apologist excuse this with “ya  but”  and word salad all about prowess. All promoted 24/7 by the league masters ESPN. I don’t understand understand why dodging a worthy opponent is considered the “smart move”. If it is the smart move then something is wrong with the system that makes it so.

Would Alabama schedule a home and home with the ducks? If not why not?

• Thumbs Up 2

As things turned out, it was a mistake.  49 - 3 says that.  UGA being the defending national champ says that.  But how was UO supposed to know that four years ago?  I remember the Ducks going to Michigan, Ohio State, and Tennessee, and emerging with statement wins that helped put the program on the map.  Why was UGA a mistake but not the others?  Because of the result.  Just like if a coach goes for 2 in OT instead of kicking the PAT - win the game with the 2, you're brilliant.  Fail to convert, you're a bum.

The only thing I think was truly questionable was the "neutral site" game, which was neutral site in name only.  That was a Georgia home game, and we don't get one in return.

Also consider the following:

• Oregon got a heck of a nice payday for that game.
  • Oregon got exposure in a major recruiting area.
  • Oregon got major national exposure (which turned out to be a bad thing, given the result).
  • Oregon had the opportunity for another major statement win.
  • In 2018, coming off a 7-6 season, who would reasonably have thought the Ducks would be in contention for the CFP, and that a bad loss in that one game could be the difference between making it and being left out?  Or that it would be the first game for a new coaching staff and a new QB?

Scheduling is a crapshoot.  If someone in 2017 scheduled Stanford for 2022, they certainly wouldn't figure they would be getting one of the worst teams in the nation.  And if they scheduled Oregon State the same way, they would have figured on a cupcake and gotten a rude surprise when a strong Beavers team showed up.  

Also consider that things change and schedules can't always change that quickly.  Strength of schedule plays a role in CFP decisions, and the Pac-12 has been down - who would have known in 2018 that there would be four teams in the top 15 and we might not need a signature game like that?  The CFP is going to 12 in a couple of years, but we already have schedules confirmed past that, and it's probably too late to adjust if needed.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, noDucknewby said:

If we are 1-loss conference champ, the odds are we'll go to the CFP.

I agree "the odds are".  But if Clemson had won out along with TCU, we would have been left out.

So, in hindsight with the way the season has played out, I'm glad we played Georgia.  Lit a fire and allowed the team to know where they need to be.

If we were a 1-loss conf champ and did get left out, then I wouldn't be glad we scheduled them.

Plus, we still put up more yards against them than anyone else except Florida and didn't give up a sack.  Tenn sure can't say that.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Klatt's entitled to his own opinion.  I don't share it.  There are enough reasons cited above by numerous Duck fans to more than counter Mr. Klatt's questionable judgement.  Maybe he'd 'duck' a tough opponent but I'm rather glad Oregon did not despite the embarrassing loss.  O's come out pretty good in the long end.

GO OREGON!

The participation trophy mentality says you don't schedule a tough game or the players feeling might get hurt. That's not the way the world works, the tougher the game the better. 

I think the SEC does have it down with less conference games and a cream puff late in the season. You should never shy away from tough games, but pace yourself. A tough first game is a smart move in my book.

The SEC also knows how important home field advantage is. The idea the Georgia game was on a neutral field was a joke.

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

As always, I’m interested in the subjective, non-quantifiable outcomes of games played. If you at all believe in the theory that winning teaches you that you like it, and losing teaches you everything else, then the Georgia game proved to be the ultimate focus tool for the coaches in their attempt to get the team’s attention. Judging from the results post Georgia, seemed to have worked.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/10/2022 at 4:56 PM, Haywarduck said:

The participation trophy mentality says you don't schedule a tough game or the players feeling might get hurt. That's not the way the world works, the tougher the game the better. 

I think the SEC does have it down with less conference games and a cream puff late in the season. You should never shy away from tough games, but pace yourself. A tough first game is a smart move in my book.

The SEC also knows how important home field advantage is. The idea the Georgia game was on a neutral field was a joke.

“The idea the Georgia game was on a neutral field was a joke.”

Absolutely, and I said the same on this forum before the game.  It’s a very obvious point, all one need do is look at ticket sales or heck just look at the colors in the stands. 

I don’t think it was a bad game to schedule.  How could anyone know that GA would be that good or that the Ducks would be playing their first game with a brand new coaching staff and scheme 4 years ago.  And honestly, if Oregon were to beat or play a top SEC team close it is awesome for SOS.

• Thumbs Up 4

If I had to do anything with scheduling, I would always schedule a OOC cupcake gimme as the first game, then go ahead and schedule the defending national champs for the next game if you want. With a cupcake gimme, at least the team can get a chance to shake off the rust, examine perhaps where improvement is needed in execution and build confidence with a win.

And I agree with many others, the "neutral" field concept with SEC teams is a joke. Sure, the game is not technically at a particular team's home venue, but I would prefer a home-and-home series or at least alternate between West and South "neutral" sites or no deal. I do agree that in order to be considered among the best, you have to play the best and win at least half those matchups.

As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the SEC is the best conference right now as in fairly recent history, the SEC champs have more often than not defeated champs from every other conference in the natties. PAC-12 teams can definitely be powerhouses as Pete Carroll had proved when he was HC at USC. He understood that you need to dominate the trenches and I think that's where many very good PAC-12 teams unfortunately can fall short.

On 11/10/2022 at 3:40 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I don’t think it was a bad game to schedule.  How could anyone know that GA would be that good or that the Ducks would be playing their first game with a brand new coaching staff and scheme 4 years ago.  And honestly, if Oregon were to beat or play a top SEC team close it is awesome for SOS.

If you could guarantee Georgia was going to win a National Title the game before playing Oregon they would schedule us every year. I think we would schedule you every year if we could guarantee we would have Lanning as a coach.

Now that would be a fun series. As long as one of the teams is the National Champ, and the coaches are the same we play until something changes, game on!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 4:37 PM, Haywarduck said:

Now that would be a fun series. As long as one of the teams is the National Champ, and the coaches are the same we play until something changes, game on!

What do U want to bet that IF Oregon gets Georgia or some other top SEC team to agree to play us anywhere in Oregon , they'd likely refuse?  Or am I wrong again and we do have a top SEC team on the schedule due to come out to our "neutral" site?  Charles may have the answer to this one.  

Might I suggest Corvallis as our "neutral site"?

Edited by Mic
  • Haha 2

Schedule a top level SEC team every year. Even if every SEC game we play is on the road, they would be bringing the UO team down to the recruiting hot bed every year! This year was an anomaly breaking in a new coach playing against his old team that just won a championship. Has that ever happened before?

Let those future recruits see the UO brand of football in person. Win lose or draw, I think it helps the Ducks in the long run. When the 12 team playoff gets under way and just winning the Pac gets you in the playoffs then there really is no reason not to play the SEC every year.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 4:59 PM, Mic said:

What do U want to bet that IF Oregon gets Georgia or some other top SEC team to agree to play us anywhere in Oregon , they'd likely refuse?  Or am I wrong again and we do have a top SEC team on the schedule due to come out to our "neutral" site?  Charles may have the answer to this one.  

Might I suggest Corvallis as our "neutral site"?

To my knowledge, Autzen Stadium is the largest football venue in Oregon.

After the remodel of Reser Stadium is complete, the maximum attendance will be ~39,000. Probably wouldn't even meet the ticket sales needs for a major SEC team.

Might have to choose Lumen Field (home stadium of the Seahawks) which only holds just under 70k. Had to withhold my gag reflex while writing that.

• Haha 2

Joel Klatt is simply wrong. 

No *real* competitor wants to beat up little fish.

Big fish want to play in the big pond. 

I am 💯 sure both MC and DL promoted that GA game on the recruiting trail—to say both that we’re in the same league as the big boys and that we make it to their hoods frequently. 

And let’s look at the receipts. OBD’s loss to GA has them as the best 1-loss team that hasn’t also beaten AL.

The coaches, AP, and Committee all agree that the Dux are in the hunt. 

If we had beaten Fresno St in game 1, we would have all been hand-wringing about SOS right now. 

It is better to have tried and failed then to never have played at all. 

• Go Ducks! 1

One thing I think I know: Dan Lanning would love the kinds of challenges that Georgia presented this  year (though maybe not in his first game at the helm). That game was very diagnostic for the coaching staff and did, I submit, more good than harm. PAC-12 schools need to play big intersectional games and win some of them if they want to be taken more seriously by the dudes doing the rankings.

As for being afraid to leave home turf, Georgia has at least one home and home coming up fairly soon with UCLA and others of note like Clemson as well. Many Georgia  fans, myself included, would love to have a home at home with Oregon so they can see what playing in Autzen is all about. Georgia fans, who travel very well, would also look favorably toward H & Hs with Washington and USC as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Losing early, very early is the best way to go. Especially on the road against the defending national champs. The committee has forgiven early season losses. If not, I am not sure the Ducks woild be ranked #6.

Late losses overshadow a weekone loss. But winning out is a must. Destroying  the next 3 opponents, with a combined win/loss record of 20-7 sure wont hurt.

The loser of tOSU/Michigan and Tennessee will be watching football while the Ducks play a top 10 usuck or uclasuck for a conference championship. That win and title will not be overlooked by the CFP committee. (A TCU loss wouldnt hurt)

Georgia winning out helps the Ducks.  Rece the know it all will have no say in it. Neither will Klatt. It may just be The Real Dawgs and The Ducks destiny to meet again in the CFP. Wouldn't you be proud of both teams?

HOWEVER: Winning out starts with beating that foul stench from the north. No other game matters.

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 5:45 PM, ICamel said:

To my knowledge, Autzen Stadium is the largest football venue in Oregon.

After the remodel of Reser Stadium is complete, the maximum attendance will be ~39,000. Probably wouldn't even meet the ticket sales needs for a major SEC team.

Might have to choose Lumen Field (home stadium of the Seahawks) which only holds just under 70k. Had to withhold my gag reflex while writing that.

I was just kidding.  You see, the Georgia Bulldogs claimed Atlanta Georgia (probably home to more Bulldog fans than anywhere else outside Athens) as their "neutral site".  Hardly a true neutral site.  

On 11/10/2022 at 10:34 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Many Georgia  fans, myself included, would love to have a home at home with Oregon so they can see what playing in Autzen is all about.

I think many Georgia fans would love to come watch a game in Eugene. But, it is fairly obvious that the AD does not. They already defaulted on one home and home agreement with the Ducks. Quickly followed up with that neutral site (Atlanta) game offer. The SEC as a whole does not like to travel west of the Mississippi. Sucks for all the fans on both sides.