Mic

Winningest Coaches by Rank NCAA

This page is from the continuously updated website that tracks the Coaches on the Hot Seat, supposedly updated day-by-day.  (However, the chart shows Dan Lanning's w/l record at 7-1).  Regardless, what this chart shows is how our coach stacks up against the other most successful (and safest) coaches.  What's interesting is Lanning's age and salary as compared to his counterparts.

WWW.COACHESHOTSEAT.COM

Coaches Hot Seat provides the Coaches Hot Seat Rankings and Coaches Hot Seat Daily News to College Football fans everywhere.

Clearly, Oregon is probably going to have to up Dan's salary if they want to keep him at Oregon.  His $5,000,000 is pretty good but if you check the chart you can see that he's one of the lowest paid amongst the top 25 coaches.  Currently (by this chart) Dan is ranked #3 due in large part to his 8-game winning streak in this his 1st year.  Even more revealing are the other pages showing coaches on the hot seat and their salaries.

Oregon is currently very blessed to have the coach they have, it would appear.  Some will say 2/3 of one season is much too short to be a clear indicator.  I'd agree except we fans have the luxury of seeing the contrast and turnaround in OBD's team performance from last year to this one.  

• Go Ducks! 1

I agree the early results from Dan Lanning and crew exceed expectations.  The future looks bright.  We have a dynamic offense led by a talented quarterback, fun to watch.

Didn't we see this before?  Less than ten years ago Mark Helfrich received the same accolades.  He was a bargain, we needed to rework his contract to ensure he would be here long term.  Sadly that didn't work out as expected.

I'm not equating Helfrich to Lanning.  Personally I think DL has a much higher ceiling.  I also think we need to tread carefully when throwing around millions of dollars.  Get a larger body of work to evaluate.  I'm fairly certain fans from Michigan State and TAMU, among others, feel the same.

Lanning has the huge advantage this year of having Bo for his QB.  Whether Bo is so successful due to his talent, due to seriously coaching him to success, or both, he's a huge part of Oregons success.  It would be interesting to know how the team would do with a different QB, or how they'll do next year without Bo.

I have a lot of confidence in our coach and expect him to succeed, but to throw the kitchen sink at him financially this early in his tenure  might be a mistake.  Do it gradually over time at least until his body of work justifies a salary up with the big boys.

Since it's so early in his head coaching career, we need to be judicious about how we work his contract. We damn sure want to keep him, but he doesn't yet have the resume to justify a top tier salary.  That being said, I think there's really one good way to approach this: Keep the salary where it's at, but add very healthy incentives for success.

Once he has 2-3 years of sustained success, then if the results warrant it, throw the kitchen sink at him to keep him here.  Also, I would do the same for Dilly...especially if they manage to put that beautiful trophy in the case!

On 11/10/2022 at 12:20 PM, Wrathis said:

Since it's so early in his head coaching career, we need to be judicious about how we work his contract. We damn sure want to keep him, but he doesn't yet have the resume to justify a top tier salary.  That being said, I think there's really one good way to approach this: Keep the salary where it's at, but add very healthy incentives for success.

Once he has 2-3 years of sustained success, then if the results warrant it, throw the kitchen sink at him to keep him here.  Also, I would do the same for Dilly...especially if they manage to put that beautiful trophy in the case!

I did a quick numbers check and find that of the top 25 "winningest" coaches, the average salary is ~6,000,000.  So Dan's right there considering he's a 1st-yr coach.  Not bad.  It might not take much more to keep him depending on who comes wooing.  9 games is just too short of a time span to know for certain how things will go.  He's playing with another man's cards (to a certain degree).  The dreaded MC.

It can be Googled I'm sure, but his contract has tons of bonuses for performance.  If he wins the Pac-12 and goes to the Playoff--he will end up with quite the first year salary after all the bonuses.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/10/2022 at 12:50 PM, cartm25 said:

Dan Lanning is off to a great start, but this the classic case of "too small a sample size".

Agreed; but the contrast between team performance, enthusiasm and attitude as compared to MC's last year is amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Contract specifics

Contract Year 1: $4,600,000

Contract Year 2: $4,700,000

Contract Year 3: $4,800,000

Contract Year 4: $4,900,000

Contract Year 5: $5,000,000

Contract Year 6: $5,100,000

Postseason bonuses 

If Lanning leads Oregon to CFP National Championship Game: $500,000

CFP semifinals: $250,000

New Year's Six Bowl appearance: $150,000

Any other bowl (must win seven regular-season games): $100,000

Win incentives 

National championship: $500,000

Pac-12 championship: $150,000

Pac-12 North Division: $100,000

Nine regular-season wins (does not apply in 13 game regular season) $100,000

10 regular-season wins: $200,000

11 regular-season wins: $200,000

12 regular-season wins: $200,000

13 regular-season wins (only applies in 13-game regular season):$200,000

Academic Progress Rate — 985 or greater (single-year): $100,000

Pac-12 Conference Coach of the Year: $25,000

AP or Walter Camp National Coach of the Year: $50,000

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ask, and thou shalt receive.  Nice work here McDuck!  

You know what this means, right?  If O beats the Fuskies Saturday Dan wins $100,000 smackers. Rivalry, indeed!

Edited by Mic

Not fully weighing in on the wisdom of throwing the bank at DL this soon but here is a bit of perspective on his salary progression over the past few years.

Lanning's current contract with Oregon is for $29.1M over 6 years with a first year salary of $4.6M. As McDuck stated, there are a boatload of incentives for bowl games and NY6 bowls specifically. 

He made $1.75M his last year at UGA. He was given a half a million dollar boost that season to keep him there after he was recruited to be the DC for Texas. Even with that raise, there were still four defensive coordinators in the SEC that were better compensated. None outcoached him.

I don't really have a specific point,  but here's my take. Lanning's compensation has already more than doubled his first year with Oregon over his last year at Georgia. That's a lot to process and a lot of damn zeros to factor in. This is a guy who was angling for a grad assistant job not all that long ago. 

I believe he has a humble and modest midwest mentality and wants to earn his raise, any agent ear whispering notwithstanding. He has a young family and wants stability and as much time with them as his job will allow. He feels blessed and honored that Oregon and Uncle Phil have entrusted him with the keys to the kingdom.

With his early success, his tenure at Oregon will have a two to three year grace period. That's the time frame for DL to bring continued success to Oregon before the cash wagon needs to get rolled out. 

Other programs will come a-callin', but I believe he stays put. Dilly likely gets lured away in two years regardless of the dollars offered to keep him in Eugene but Lanning is here for the next several years.

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Updated

Lanning is getting an extension and a bump in pay after this season. But he is still young and needs to prove he can sustain the program next year. This year he has done a fantastic job so far but next year there will be more challenges. 

Personally, I love the accomplishment based bonuses for Lanning, the reward success. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The grass is greener elsewhere?  I think this article backs up EastBayDuckDad's assertions pretty well.  I am tempted to offer anyone a big bet that both he AND Dilly stay...

FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

Oregon's first-year head coach addressed a report linking him to the Auburn vacancy.

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/10/2022 at 1:32 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

He made $1.75M his last year at UGA. He was given a half a million dollar boost that season to keep him there after he was recruited to be the DC for Texas. Even with that raise, there were still four defensive coordinators in the SEC that were better compensated. None outcoached him.

Indeed.  Georgia had one he_l of a Defense, still do.  I know 9 games is a very short time span to make judgements but like I said earlier, what we can see is the incredible contrast from how this team is performing under Lanning's leadership (with his own hand-picked assistants) verses what we saw last year under MC with his.  The contrast couldn't be starker.

Besides, it's easy for us to be 'throwing around' the University's money.  We ain't paying it!

• Great post! 1

Of course, we want to reward good work and DL so far has been proving to be a good hire. I do agree that we need to see consistent results before we give a blank check to DL though. One school that comes to mind which IMHO is a good lesson to tread carefully is Notre Dame, when they struck out two times in a row with Tyrone Willingham and Charlie Weis. Both coaches initially started out very good and won all kinds of coaching accolades but ended up fizzling out very quickly after the contract extensions were signed and bonuses were given. Unfortunately, Oregon has been considered a stepping-stone in recent times but hopefully DL will end that cycle if he pans out to be a great HC.

As an aside, in the case of Marc Helfrich, IMHO what did him in was his poor DC hires. Oregon's O under him was actually still pretty prolific but the Swiss-cheese D especially under Brady Hoke couldn't stop anybody. The D under Don Pellum before Hoke came along was meh, but that embarrassing collapse after halftime playing TCU in the 2016 Alamo Bowl after being up 31-0 should never have happened. If Helfrich had made better DC hires, I surmise he would've been the Ducks HC a little while longer if not up until now.

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

In  addition to the salary our coach makes, and the cost  to reward the success he's had, there is also on the flip side the cost and the uncertainty of replacing what we have.  It's expensive to do a search ,go through the process of a new hire for the coach and assistants, and based on the success we've had, the character of our present coach and staff, if I were the administration, I'd do whatever it takes to keep the coach we have as happy as we can and as much of the staff we have  based on how the season has gone. 

I would think Mullens will do whatever it takes to keep Dan Lannings happy and motivated to stay here.  I'm sure there are many schools that would be more than happy to have him.

Above, 47sgs talks about Bo’s success resulting from his skills or coaching.  I feel the main reason Bo is having his best year is the few additional decision making seconds provided by the O-line.  Time he did not have at Auburn.

It's just a hunch but Coach Lannings family and their happiness may play a key role in the future.

DL has commented in interviews that he wants to plant roots for his family. Not move the kids around anymore and let them settle in.

When DL says he wants to stay at Oregon as long as he is wanted, well i believe him. His parents raised that young man right.

Win or lose he appears to be humble and cut from the cloth of previous Duck coaches. We are fortunate to have DL and the staff. 

GO DUCKS.....

I may be way off here, but at some point doesn't the money just become a bragging point?  If CDL is to be believed, I'd have to think he'd want success on the field which in my mind would mean program support.  Sure, keep him with an incentivized contract, but pay his assistants well and give him any tool he wants that he believes will make the product on the field better. 

That may mean keeping the facilities second to none, paying the NIL deals for the recruits he most covets and overall making Oregon football an even bigger national brand...I can't help but wonder if that will also mean buttressing the PAC to keep it relevant as well?  In the world of the blind, the one-eyed man may indeed be King...but in the land of 20/20 vision he's nothing.  Being the best in the PAC is one thing, but if the PAC doesn't rise to the occasion, then that may be what lures him away...

On 11/11/2022 at 10:54 AM, Wrathis said:

I may be way off here, but at some point doesn't the money just become a bragging point?  If CDL is to be believed, I'd have to think he'd want success on the field which in my mind would mean program support.  Sure, keep him with an incentivized contract, but pay his assistants well and give him any tool he wants that he believes will make the product on the field better. 

I think Oregon will do all these things, just as long as Lanning continues to win games and compete for Conference Championships.  And I'm not too concerned with the Pac-12 diminishing to a lower status because the Conference has opportunities to bring in other good schools.  Now, IF Oregon and Washington were both to leave, well that might be a diminishing proposition, but not unless. Imho.

Don't forget.  The Pac-? is also a BB conference, a Track & Field conference, a Baseball/Softball conference and Soccer and Gymnastics, etc., etc.  Our ugly step-brethren to the west of us (Beavers) are an established Baseball power and there is some mighty fine baseball & softball being played here and in California, not to mention Basketball.  Utah has a good Basketball program as do Az & ASU, Wash, WSU.

If Gonzaga is admitted to the conference - well - that goes without saying how that will elevate Men's BB.  No, I think the Pac will survive and good riddance to USC & UCLA if they think they can do better elsewhere ...