ICamel

Former Oregon Athletic Director Norv Ritchey Passes

WWW.REGISTERGUARD.COM

A memorial service will be held at 2:00pm, Saturday, December 3rd, at the First United Methodist Church in Eugene, OR for Norval...

Played catcher for the UofO baseball team.

Coach of Freshman Baseball Team and Athletics Fund Raiser at Oregon.

Oregon Athletic Director from 1970 through 1975.

Spent another 17 years as the assistant dean of the UO’s Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (HPER) department before retiring in 1992.

Remembrances to the Eugene First United Methodist Church, the University of Oregon baseball program, or your favorite charity.

• Thanks 1

I knew Norv in his later years.  He showed me the original plans and pictures of Autzen, and he shared many great stories.  I’m grateful our paths crossed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If he had the courage to defend head coach Jerry Frei and his staff the lost decade of the '70's might have been different.

On the other side of the ledger he brought in Dick Harter and basketball mania to Eugene .

Ritchey's days of reign as AD were at the tipping point between the collegial days where P.E., Intramural sports, and major sports intersected. The athletes were present in classes and campus activities. and time and training demands not nealy as demanding as they are today.

AD Ritchey served during the war protest period of the late '60's into the 1970's as football came under scrutiny and attack by students and The Daily Emerald.

I have great respect for Norv Rithchey and the contributions and career he devoted to the University of Oregon.

Boy, there's a name I haven't heard mentioned is a while!  A loyal Duck to the end.  May he rest in peace and be rewarded with a Baseball Championship at Oregon and perhaps a field named for him.