Charles Fischer

I Am Too SHOCKED to Be Angry...

So many elements to that game, but the biggest surprise to me?  The Huskies played the game of their lives, and we did not.  Yes the refs blew some calls, and Lanning finally had the reversion-to-the-mean with the averages of making 4th downs, onside kicks, etc.,...but that damn QB for Washington was pretty incredible.  And their receivers got fantastic separation--and their timing on passes was amazing.

There are some days you have to tip your hat to the other side, even when they are the bastard Huskies.

A Rose Bowl is still attainable, and to me no matter what....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 5
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 5

Mr. FishDuck

I'll be there with you by next Wednesday/Thursday. Tonight it's hard to see much of a point to the rest of the regular season since the Rose Bowl has been so diminished. But, I'll get there. Not as high as I was this morning, but I'll be back up...in a diminished sort of way.

The soft zone coverage wasn't getting it done tonight.  TL should have made adjustments to the coverage, UW knew exactly how to get their receivers open from the first quarter.

Bo going out with his bell rung was scary, I was shocked he came back in with concussion protocols as they are. 

I don't blame DL for going for it on 4th with Ty but UW scouted him and KNEW he wouldn't be throwing any balls.

What matters now is how the team picks themselves up and play against Utah next week.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Totally agree Charles. It sucks to lose especially to the team up north but Lanning and crew will learn from this. I'll ride and die with this program forever. It's been a great season,  let's and win the Pac and head to Pasadena!

Go Ducks!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lupoi needed to take more risks and call more blitzes, instead of leaving our subpar DBs on an island.   Penix was way too comfortable sitting back in the pocket.

I can see why Saban demoted him at Bama.  The Ducks need to shop for new DC.  He is not going to lead our defense to where it needs to be, to compete for a championship.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 3

I agree with Fishduck, except that I am a little angry. 

Dillingham has deserved the praise he has received, and I am grateful for his coaching. However, the quarterback run out of the spread formation was too predictable. It was his worst play call of the season, at the worst possible time. 

Nix left the game at a pivotal moment when the Washington tackler hit him on the knee or the thigh with his helmet. After all of the suspensions of Oregon players for targeting, the Huskies win the game with a dirty hit. That bothers me more than the questionable sideline call. A team ought not to gain an advantage by deliberately or recklessly endangering another player. 

Washington played well, but Oregon was the better team, especially at the line of scrimmage. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why the hell did the coaches have to take so many unnecessary risks? 

As bad as the defense played, they did enough for the Ducks to get the win.  Everything went awry when Forsyth's shoulder started bothering him and the coaches left him in the game, without giving him a breather.  With so much riding on that drive that could have put the game out of reach, it would have been advisable for him to take a timeout or replace Forsyth.

DL was so concerned and shortsighted with keeping his timeouts that he didn't want to burn one, when Forsyth was clearly in pain. And also on 4th down, when Nix was begging DL, to put him back in the game.  Those were both critical plays that could have meant the difference between winning and losing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The QB run was way too predictable and that gave the WA defense a shot at Nix. Lot of mistakes by the coaching staff today. As one announcer said “Oregon is playing like they are at an away game.”  Our defense sucks and with them we just aren’t good enough. Penix had the arm skills to expose us, badly. We aren’t a top 10 team when we don’t have a lead and make the other team one-dimensional. Now play hard for the Rose Bowl. 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:11 PM, lownslowav8r said:

The QB run was way too predictable and that gave the WA defense a shot at Nix. Lot of mistakes by the coaching staff today. As one announcer said “Oregon is playing like they are at an away game.”  Our defense sucks and with them we just aren’t good enough. Penix had the arm skills to expose us, badly. We aren’t a top 10 team when we don’t have a lead and make the other team one-dimensional. Now play hard for the Rose Bowl. 

As bad as SUC's defense is, they get more pressure on the QB which leads to turnovers and sacks.  I rather our defense blitz more and give Penix less time to dissect our defense.  And hopefully rattle him and get him off his game.  The Ducks never did that.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 2

Tonight was the bend and keep bending D.

Very difficult to watch.

But Kudos to Penix.

Even when pressured he threw a 70 yard TD.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:11 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Our defense sucks and with them we just aren’t good enough.

The D did enough for OBD to win this game! The loss isn’t on them, this one’s on the coach and I’ll bet he owns it. Penix and those receivers are damn good. But we had ‘‘em and blew it.

• Thumbs Up 1

As usual, there were some questionable calls, but the one calling Franklin out of bounds before catching the ball at the end of the game was a killer. As the replay revealed, it was close, but Franklin wasn’t out of bounds and it shouldn’t have been called.

The most disappointing thing about the game for me was Lanning’s decision to go for it deep in Oregon territory with Thompson at quarterback. It deprived Oregon’s defense a chance to stop Washington and win the game. Failing to get the first down gave the Huskies the ball well within field goal range for their kicker.

A second loss doesn't bother me as much, being that it is DL first year.

What sucks is that it was to Fusky in Autzen. Painful

Lanning made some mistakes. Dudes smart, he will learn. Hope this team comes out angry next week and destroys Utes.

As for Nix...🤞🤞🤞 took crown of the helmet to lower leg. Targeting? I don't know. It was one of a few game changing moments.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think we knew what our Achilles heel was and it raised its ugly head tonight. Let’s grade it.

Coaching;  D good game plan but execution was not good once we got in scoring position and defensive scheme is pretty low grade mostly because our linebackers just look lost most of the time. Onside kick! .. Why? and why all this trickery when we get close to the goal line cost us a touchdown. Put your head down and score.

Offensive line; C grade would have been higher but they keep making critical mistakes when they get down close to scoring. 

Defensive line; D- did reasonably good against the run but they put very little pressure on the QB and never knocked down those low passes that Penix throws almost every time he goes short. I thought that was one thing we could take advantage of. Sewell did get one but that was out of the pocket.

Running backs. A Don’t have the stats but it seemed they broke hundreds of tackles tonight. Seemed like the Hounds d backs made a ton of tackles to save touchdowns.

QB C- Bo had a tough game tonight, wasn’t able to get it done when the game was on the line and I certainly hope he plays better next week which I’m sure he will. Not used to him fumbling a snap under center.

In summation: I think we all knew in the back of our mind that this might happen. Loosing to the pups is about as bad as it can get, especially when we have the talent to prevent it. At Home it is unacceptable. I think I’m going to be sick. 

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm reading numerous comments about specific plays.

That tells me there were numerous issues that resulted in the loss, not just one key play or coaching decision. 

Here are a few:

- The failed red zone score due to a fumble - due to a rushed snap, due to some formation that made no sense.

- The failed onside kick resulting in a FG.

- Having Lewis attempt a FG way beyond his range instead of having Nix throw in to the endzone before halftime. 

- The obviously porous defense.

- Running every down on the drive from the 1 yard line to run down the clock instead of stepping on the gas to score. 

- Should have taken Forsyth out on thae long drive. He was obviously gassed.

- Going for it late in the game instead of calling a timeout to allow Nix to come in on 4th or to punt giving away another 3 pts.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, Just Ducky said:

Offensive line; C grade would have been higher but they keep making critical mistakes when they get down close to scoring.

I would grade the OL as a sold "B". When you have two RB's gain over 100 yards, the OL did their job, in my opinion.

Bucky Irving = 143 yards on 19 carries, 7.5 average yards per carry.

Noah Whittington = 108 yards on 20 carries. 5.4 average yards per carry.

Oregon Rushing = 308 total  rushing yards.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2022 at 9:46 PM, ICamel said:

I would grade the OL as a sold "B". When you have two RB's gain over 100 yards, the OL did their job, in my opinion.

Bucky Irving = 143 yards on 19 carries, 7.5 average yards per carry.

Noah Whittington = 108 yards on 20 carries. 5.4 average yards per carry.

Oregon Rushing = 308 total  rushing yards.

I would agree except for critical penalties inside the 30 and a snap over the head just can’t happen. Hands to the face!! Also a lot of those rushing yards were running backs breaking tackles. I gave them an A.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:46 PM, nw777b said:

He was playing hurt which led to the bad snap on that long drive.  The coaches might have been wearing out the Fuskies' defense, but it also took its toll on our OL.  That might be something to consider in the future when trying to bleed the clock.  At the very least, they should have subbed guys regularly. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon needs to leave the Pac-12 so they simply don’t keep getting screwed over by these referees. The incompetence is astounding. Every season the low quality of refereeing costs Oregon. How much money have these referees costs the conference payout. Too tired to do the math tonight but it’s easy to calculate. The BIG10 pays their referees and invests in them. This conference does no such thing. Can’t wait for the eventual invitation. Good Riddance Pac-12 

Edited by Flaps2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/12/2022 at 7:54 PM, Just Ducky said:

I would agree except for critical penalties inside the 30 and a snap over the head just can’t happen. Hands to the face!!

Who was that?  Jackson-Powers?   He already sealed that block.  Hands to the face was excessive and cost the Ducks points. 

On 11/12/2022 at 10:01 PM, DuckIt said:

Who was that?  Jackson-Powers?   He already sealed that block.  Hands to the face was excessive and cost the Ducks points. 

Yes the running back was by him before the hand slid up in his grill. That was a huge penalty at the time.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:07 PM, Just Ducky said:

Yes the running back was by him before the hand slid up in his grill. That was a huge penalty at the time.

Yeah, that was poor awareness on his part.  Would have had the ball on 2 yard line, with 1st and goal.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:25 PM, nw777b said:

Even when pressured he threw a 70 yard TD.

Wasn't that the play where Addison rushed on a delayed blitz and got called for roughing the passer too?  I rather Addison or Williams rush off the edge.  Addison took too long to get there.  Delayed blitz only works if your secondary covers the receivers.

Edited by DuckIt

On 11/12/2022 at 9:25 PM, nw777b said:

Tonight was the bend and keep bending D.

Very difficult to watch.

The defense Lanning was trying to replicate from 2012 was bend but don't break. Agree this was the bend and keep bending D.

Reminded me too much about what I hated about the bend don't break defense. Giving up third downs, and making heroes out of good not great qb's is what we use to do. The receivers also came away thinking they were rock stars, kind of made me want to puke.

We have a few more pretty good qb's coming up, time to figure out how not to give them legendary games. Has Oregon's weakness been figured out, and we have no answer?

The offense could have won this game, but the defense shouldn't have let it get away. Deboer is a very good coach, but MariØ was able to beat him last year. Let that sink in for a moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:30 AM, Haywarduck said:

Deboer is a very good coach, but MariØ was able to beat him last year. Let that sink in for a moment.

Wasn't that Jimmy Lake?

What frightens me is imagining how this game would look if it wasn't played at Autzen.  Even with an amped up home crowd and everything to play for I thought Washington was more focused.

• Thumbs Up 1

Penix throws perfect spirals every time - no wobble!. He will be star in the NFL if healthy. 

• Thumbs Up 3

There are always moments when you think uh oh….without pointing to one play, it really was due to our sluggish start and their ability to move the ball. 

Disappointed to watch OBD lose a game that they could have won. Not the first, and certainly won’t be the last.

What they do after this disappointing loss will define their season. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

408 yards passing for Penix. Yikes. Brings back memories of Andrew Walters torching the Ducks in the 2nd half at Autzen.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Get a recap of the Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Oregon Ducks football game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2022 at 11:11 PM, DuckIt said:

Wasn't that the play where Addison rushed on a delayed blitz and got called for roughing the passer too?  I rather Addison or Williams rush off the edge.  Addison took too long to get there.  Delayed blitz only works if your secondary covers the receivers.

I believe it was Flowe, but regardless, too little, too late.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, McDuck said:

Wasn't that Jimmy Lake?

What frightens me is imagining how this game would look if it wasn't played at Autzen.  Even with an amped up home crowd and everything to play for I thought Washington was more focused.

Deboer was at Fresno State last year and we beat them 34-21. Your right Deboer beat us with Lakes team, along with his transfers, and recruits, but that is the same for Oregon.

I am not being fatalistic about Lanning as compared to MariØ, but it is food for thought. Lanning is a young coach who has plenty to grow into. We still have some growing pains to get through.

I have thought for a while a Rose Bowl win would be huge for a first year coach. That isn't out of reach, but that would be a massive accomplishment. We still have a gauntlet to get through before that happens. 

I am extremely happy with Lanning, even with a couple more losses before the season ends. He is still my coach for as long as he will stay at Oregon!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

These losses happen when a team is all offense and no defense. Look at what happened to UCLA last night, a loss that makes ours look "good" (we, at least, lost to a top-25 team). Let’s hope Lanning and crew can recruit some DL studs for next year. Our current defense is as good as they can get without better players. 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:46 PM, nw777b said:

- The failed red zone score due to a fumble - due to a rushed snap, due to some formation that made no sense.

- The failed onside kick resulting in a FG.

- Having Lewis attempt a FG way beyond his range instead of having Nix throw in to the endzone before halftime. 

- The obviously porous defense.

- Running every down on the drive from the 1 yard line to run down the clock instead of stepping on the gas to score. 

- Going for it late in the game instead of calling a timeout to allow Nix to come in on 4th or to punt giving away another 3 pts.

You summed it up pretty well honestly. 

I think there's a few lessons for the coaches coming out of this game and I think the film study will show them what they need to do better in calling the game.  Given just how young the staff is it's not the least bit surprising that they aren't perfect at coaching.  The positive takeaway is to remind ourselves just how amazing the staff has been and how high their ceiling is.

I have been worried about over reliance on the cover-2 with the soft zone underneath all year.  That defense is the right call when the Ducks are up two scores and they are pushing a balanced opposing offense into a one-dimensional pass attack.  UW is among the best if not the best passing offenses in the country.  We didn't push them to be one dimensional, they are one-dimensional and we let them play their strength against our weakness.

Moving forward the Oregon defense has to have adjustments ready that will be MUCH more effective in obvious passing downs (aka, the entire UW offense).  Even a simple cover-2 with man coverage underneath and a better pass rush would have been worth trying.  There's a difference in forcing your opponent into making mistakes and hoping your opponent makes mistakes.

The offense really only has two challenges as I see it moving forward, they have to play full out as the defense can't get reliable stops and the offense can't work without Bo under center.  The reliance on Bo is not just a potential challenge against Utah, OSU and likely USC but it's a HUGE challenge for next year. 

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2022 at 8:57 PM, Triphibius said:

Dillingham has deserved the praise he has received, and I am grateful for his coaching. However, the quarterback run out of the spread formation was too predictable. It was his worst play call of the season, at the worst possible time.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you on this.  Almost everyone of us in the stands reacted the same way when that happened.  We ALL saw that coming and UW was ready and waiting (or at least the LB) in perfect position to stop it.  Way too predictable.  If we, the fans can see it coming you know the defense of a well-coached collegiate team sure can.  

Kalen DeBoar 1, Dan Lanning 0.  And so begins the new era of O-UW rivalry.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:58 PM, Flaps2 said:

Oregon needs to leave the Pac-12 so they simply don’t keep getting screwed over by these referees.

I don't think that's the best strategy honestly, the BIG has similar problems go check their fan sites for clips of crazy ref stuff. 

Are you aware that there's a massive shortage of football officials for high-school football?  That absolutely has an impact on CFB with crews bringing in qualified replacements for retiring officials.  I'm a big big believer in cleaning up officiating to improve the game and to do that it's going to require the conference to invest money and time in officiating.

We need professional sports officials and the best way to do that is for the professional, college and high-school sports to establish a national organization for officiating.  I know there are organizations but they are fragmented.  We need a better resourced and MUCH better led organization.  That organization should get resources from all levels for the recruiting, training and evaluation of sports officiating. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I’m not going to bitch about the loss, more than enough of that will be going around… championship teams do not/should not loose winnable home games to teams they should, could and need to beat.  DeBoer and Penix did a better job of game planning and management, tip of the hat to them.

After watching the men’s basketball team loose to UC-Irvine the night before (lack of defense and not being able to stop the long ball) I was worried the same might happen to the football team… and it did.  So, I wasn’t totally surprised.

The fallout from this loss is what I’m more concerned about:  

1.)    The Ducks are hurting a bit (physically and maybe mentally) with some major players injured or dinged up with a very physical Ute team coming to town and a very good Beaver team (that should have/could have beat the Fuskies in Seattle) they have to play in Corvallis.

2.)    The national perception of the PAC-12 will once again give the narrative that the conference really isn’t that good.   As both UCLA and the Ducks lost home games to perceived inferior teams at home (good team don’t loose home games to inferior teams).   This will impact (IMHO);

a.)    Recruiting – will recruits from the state of Washington now think twice about leaving?   Will the perception of the PAC-12 being a weak conference keep recruits away?

b.)    Media rights/negotiations for the conference – will the national narrative of a week PAC-12 hurt?

3.)      USC will now be perceived as the best team in the PAC-12, because of their record

a.)    I hate USC more than the Fuskies… as an Oregonian I’m inclined to root/support all Oregon teams first and then will support Northwest teams over California all day.

b.)    With USC leaving it will leave an even weaker impression of the PAC-12 now

c.)    Without Travis Dye USC won’t be that good anyway (Okay, I’ll give that Caleb Williams is a really, really good quarterback and their coach is an innovative play caller)

How will the Ducks respond/bounce back after this loss?  Utah and the Beav’s are both good tough teams.

How can the Duck defense get better with the personnel they have?   The lack of pressure on the quarterback and the pass defense in general just have been awful for the caliber of this team.

Who should be the back-up quarterback?  I personally thought that Butterfield looked better in the spring game than Thompson.   I like Thompson and want badly to see him succeed but he just hasn’t shown me anything.  My guess is that he is ahead of Butterfield because of his running ability, but I’m not seeing any improvement in his game time play.  Which one can read defenses better… under pressure?

Okay, I’m done venting/ranting from my keyboard. 😊

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I don't think that's the best strategy honestly, the BIG has similar problems go check their fan sites for clips of crazy ref stuff. 

Are you aware that there's a massive shortage of football officials for high-school football?  That absolutely has an impact on CFB with crews bringing in qualified replacements for retiring officials.  I'm a big big believer in cleaning up officiating to improve the game and to do that it's going to require the conference to invest money and time in officiating.

We need professional sports officials and the best way to do that is for the professional, college and high-school sports to establish a national organization for officiating.  I know there are organizations but they are fragmented.  We need a better resourced and MUCH better led organization.  That organization should get resources from all levels for the recruiting, training and evaluation of sports officiating. 

The Big10 & SEC have quietly been hiring the top rated referees from the other conferences through increased salary. I cannot wait until that invitation in a few years during expansion movement again. 

On 11/13/2022 at 10:47 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Yes there is a big problem with a shortage of good officials in HS and it bleeds up to the collegiate levels in all sports.  I'm not sure why, we hear all sorts of reasons, but I'm pretty sure it's not just $$.  

I think it's respect and getting second-guessed by everyone including fans.  We may be heading for the era of robotic officials.  No, not entirely of course, but more and more based on camera angles and in-field sensors including the gear that players wear.  Sorta sounds creepy, doesn't it?

On 11/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, Just Ducky said:

I think we knew what our Achilles heel was and it raised its ugly head tonight. Let’s grade it.

Coaching;  D good game plan but execution was not good once we got in scoring position and defensive scheme is pretty low grade mostly because our linebackers just look lost most of the time. Onside kick! .. Why? and why all this trickery when we get close to the goal line cost us a touchdown. Put your head down and score.

Defensive line; D- did reasonably good against the run but they put very little pressure on the QB and never knocked down those low passes that Penix throws almost every time he goes short. I thought that was one thing we could take advantage of. Sewell did get one but that was out of the pocket.

Running backs. A Don’t have the stats but it seemed they broke hundreds of tackles tonight. Seemed like the Hounds d backs made a ton of tackles to save touchdowns.

QB C- Bo had a tough game tonight, wasn’t able to get it done when the game was on the line and I certainly hope he plays better next week which I’m sure he will. Not used to him fumbling a snap under center.

In summation: I think we all knew in the back of our mind that this might happen. Loosing to the pups is about as bad as it can get, especially when we have the talent to prevent it. At Home it is unacceptable. I think I’m going to be sick. 

I completely disagree on Bo Nix’s grade. His performance was gutsy as hell. Threw some beautiful long balls, came back in with a bum leg and threw some dimes (one Bucky should have caught and would have been a huge play in open field and would have erased the ensuing sack and timeout wasted) and the refs took away an amazing play he made on the sideline to Franklin. I can’t see how someone could not think he played well. The only real mistake he made was the fumble and that was a procedural problem because of how rushed the team was to get their trick play formation arranged and shifted. The play was rushed and he barely got under center and distractedly missed the snap. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is all on the coaches. Terrible. 

On 11/13/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mic said:

We may be heading for the era of robotic officials.

Honestly, I'm good with that.  Officiating should NEVER be the story in any game.  It should just be impartial and in the background.  When is the last time you noticed there are officials in Olympic swimming?

Do you realize we measure first downs with the same method the Egyptians built the pyramids? 

We could absolutely cover every angle on the field as well as put cameras in helmets and then allow field officials, software, coaches, players, fans... whoever and whatever to point out issues.  Just as long as the game keeps moving. 

The problem is none of the above is going to happen since football maintains similarity from Pop Warner to the NFL.  There are rule differences but the methods of officiating are basically the same. 

Maybe a top down evolution could work where the NFL gets serious about using technology to drive officiating errors to zero and still keep the game moving but I don't think it's likely.  

Maybe I'm wrong and this is what will happen when Bezos buys the Commanders.

On 11/13/2022 at 3:11 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Do you realize we measure first downs with the same method the Egyptians built the pyramids? 

Last I read, the pyramids were built (however) very, very precisely and very nearly perfectly.  lol 

But, I get your gist, I'm surprised the old chain system has lasted this long.  It's almost like a work-place protection thing for the members of the chain gang! And sideline infractions: I'm surprised there hasn't been a system designed to detect foot contact or crossing over it by now. Same with ball tip crossings over the goal line.  

• Applause 1

On 11/13/2022 at 9:35 AM, Haywarduck said:

Deboer was at Fresno State last year and we beat them 34-21. Your right Deboer beat us with Lakes team, along with his transfers, and recruits, but that is the same for Oregon.

I am not being fatalistic about Lanning as compared to MariØ, but it is food for thought. Lanning is a young coach who has plenty to grow into. We still have some growing pains to get through.

I have thought for a while a Rose Bowl win would be huge for a first year coach. That isn't out of reach, but that would be a massive accomplishment. We still have a gauntlet to get through before that happens. 

I am extremely happy with Lanning, even with a couple more losses before the season ends. He is still my coach for as long as he will stay at Oregon!

31-24...just a TD margin over FSU last year

On 11/12/2022 at 11:11 PM, lownslowav8r said:

As one announcer said “Oregon is playing like they are at an away game.”

As I was watching in the 1st Qtr, I felt like it was Deja Vu from WSU game.

• Haha 1