Pennsylvania Duck

Something to Ponder...Bo Nix Returns?

Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire posted this thought in a tweet last night and mentioned it in an article.

Could this Washington game impact the chances of Bo Nix returning to the Ducks next season?

What do you think?

How many of our starting OL will we lose after this season? What does it look like for the younger O-Lineman that are in the shadows. I think that might have an impact on Bo’s decision? 

• Thumbs Up 1

The 4:04 mark of the 4th overshadows any other "what if". Nix is gone next year for that one play alone.

Why would he take a chance on injury? 

If he gets good feedback about his draft, why wait? Oregon’s O-line is special this year, next year…who knows. He’s also an older player and needs to get into the NFL soon. 

Bo is the only one who knows the answer to the question: "will he be back."  We'd all welcome him, of course, but he has to do what's best for him and his family.  I highly doubt the decision has been made yet and I certainly hope not because he has at least 3 more football games to think about first.

• Thumbs Up 1

He's gone, he will finish the season strong and will be ready for the NFL.

Maybe a more important question is whether or not Michael Penix Jr. will be around next season when the Ducks meet them in Seattle.  MPJ is a Junior.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo is currently projected as a the number 8 QB in the draft for 2023 

WWW.PROFOOTBALLNETWORK.COM

The 2023 NFL Draft class presents a varietal who's who among the top 10 quarterbacks. Who lands at No. 1? Does your favorite crack the top 10?

Those rankings are semi-fluid so that could change a little.  Does coming back next year move him up that board at all?  Caleb Williams is not eligible to enter the draft until 2024 so Bo would be competing against him next year.  A solid draft analysis for Bo is in order.  If he stays, does he move up higher than his current ranking of #8?   He would have some tremendous weapons and a second year in an offense but I have to wonder what more he has to show.  

His leadership, poise, and decision making (minus some of the Georgia game) has only gotten better.  Selfishly, I would LOVE to see him come back for another run and a second year in this offense.  I LOVE watching this kid play and I don't see anyone else on the roster ready to take the reins.   But, he's married and has had the best season of his career to date.  I am not holding my breath...okay, maybe a teensy amount.

How about a Nike NIL deal or a Pape' Cat NIL! Help me out here guys!

Love to see him stay, but I just don't see it happening.  Short of an injury, I'm sure he'll finish strong this season.  Being married, older, with lots of experience, I think he'll head for the pros.  When he came, it appeared he planned on only one year.

Next year could be pretty scary without him here.  We'll have no experienced QB unless we hit the transfer portal.

If he's gone this year due to injury (think Dennis Dixon) then we're looking at 8-5.

• Oh no! 1

Contemplating whether or not Bo Nix returns next season is interesting to ponder, but I’m just hoping he comes back for the next game at this point. He clearly suffered a leg or foot injury last night and there has been no update today. Anyone else have a bad feeling about this? Can Oregon win another game this season without Nix?

• Thumbs Up 2

As sad as it is to say,  I don't see us winning another game if Bo is out.  The next two games could be the hardest of the season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Obviously I'm not an NFL talent evaluator, but from what I can tell Nix is probably a 3rd - to - 5th rounder in the NFL draft - someone expected to be a career backup.  The big question is whether staying another year can really elevate his draft status.  If so, it may be worthwhile.  If not, what's the point?  Why not get an extra year of NFL experience and an extra year of NFL pay, particularly since he's older than most draftees? 

If you're a 4th round pick this year and scouts tell you you'll probably be a 4th round pick next year, you go.  If scouts tell you another good year could elevate you to 1st or 2nd round, you think hard about staying.

And none of us knows what scouts and NFL talent evaluators are telling him...

I don't see the Bo Nix staying another year raising his NFL stock significantly higher.  Bo is turning 23 in February.  That isn't exactly old, but by NFL standards that is really close to middle age.

As others have mentioned, our OL will have significant changes.  

Bo is #2 in CFB with completion rate of 73%.  Tied with Drake Maye at 39 TDs for #1 in CFB.  I can't think Bo will better those numbers next year.  I feel all he could do is drop his NFL stock.

One potential factor could be how badly he was injured Saturday.  If it's significant enough that he misses many games, by draft time, he could be forgotten.  Also, he still has that bad history of Good Bo / bad Bo from previous years.

Another year may be to his benefit, but if he's able to finish this year, I think he's gone.  If that's the case, we  could be in big trouble next year with no QB that has any experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2022 at 11:39 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

If he stays, does he move up higher than his current ranking of #8? 

Flip side of that... does he want to move much higher than 8th... maybe to 4 at the most because then he is drafted by a team that isn't total garbage in the NFL. Herbert went 6th and as a result that helped boost his status in the NFL. When his contract is up he will really have the chance to go almost anywhere because he is that talented and the only reason that is true is because he has a decent team around him. 

Granted the Chargers seem worse this year than last year but still. 

But I know, I know, the biggest pay comes for those highest in the draft and the goal is to always have the prestige of being an early draft pick. I get it... but for Nix I feel his draft goal should be to be taken early enough so that he is going to be the starter (or projected starter) but not too early where he ends up in a similar situation that he was in at Auburn where he has to try to do too much with too little. 

Was he injury to Bo's ankle the same one he had surgery on last year while at Auburn?