JMac

After Some Time to Cool Down…

Our Defense, the strange play calling, a  missed 4th down timeout, and the refs aside, think about how many other mistakes we had to make for uw to pull out the win. But, looking for deeper meaning in an epic collapse, I couldn’t find one. 

I’m just a fan. Me yelling at my tv doesn’t mean anything to anyone but me. I love our Ducks. I carry a loss into Sunday, and I know I shouldn’t, but I imagine there are a few reading this that do too.

So, after a little time to cool down, there is one thing that is sticking with me. Ty Thompson doesn’t deserve to be qb2. He doesn’t care, or is too scared to play. I understand that the coaches probably told him to let the rbs run the ball, but come on.

Those hand offs look like they’re being delivered by a mannequin. The loss, in the end, isn’t on him, but he didn’t contribute anything. I was on the TT train, and I was excited to see what he could do in a series that actually meant something. He sucked the life out of me, from 3000 miles away, and from his teammates on the field. He isn’t a leader, and if he isn’t embarrassed about his “moment”, he should be.

Too harsh?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You are not alone.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't think it's too harsh, though he isn't what lost the game from my perspectives.  There were so many errors and bad calls in the first half that accounted for lost points, or points for UW.

Regardless, we had that game in the bag right up until Bo got hurt.  Then Bo jumping up and down on the sidelines on 4th down, and Lanning not calling timeout to get him in was the coop de gras.

I just can't even imagine what our offense would look like without Bo at the helm in a full game.  It concerns me for the rest of the year, and for next year as well.  Locke and Burmeister comes to mind.

Edited by 47sgs
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The question is how can Lanning believe in Ty so much and yet allow him to do so little? That defense was handing Ty a completed pass on a platter, and the guy on the headset seemed to be MariØ. I put the difficulties with Ty on Dilly. I didn't see Dan chime in on the play calling at all. 

Is it Dan's choice to have Ty and Dilly doesn't trust Ty to do anything, even if it is wide open? Bo was right next to Dan, but it was all coming down from Dilly. 

I love Dan and Dilly, but the whole back-up qb is a mess between the two of them. The whole qb management at the end of the game was Dan just standing by as Dilly ran the show. 

This is what makes Dan a great coach, but it cuts both ways when he doesn't take a more active role. Run a play the defense knew was coming or put Bo in and the whole stadium goes nuts? Missed that one, by a mile.

• Applause 1

Hmm, think I should probably run up the middle out of the shotgun.  What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

When TT was in, I watched his eyes to see if he surveyed the defense. He didn't. Even if everyone thinks its going to be a run, at least look at the defenders to make them think a pass was at least remotely possible. That being said, this loss was not on TT.

Despite the loss, I still think that was an exciting game to watch. The lead changed hands several times and I don't think anyone left the stadium early. Oh, there was the usual must-get-to-my-car-before-everyone else crew, but they all stopped on the stairs and the landing to watch the last several plays (and blocking the view of and irritating most of the people who sat across the aisle from me). It really wasn't until the very end that fans left the stadium, and how often does that happen?

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/13/2022 at 1:47 PM, Haywarduck said:

The question is how can Lanning believe in Ty so much and yet allow him to do so little?

Thompson could very well be the new Locke. Locke was a team player and solid in practice, but when he stepped out onto the field he just didn't have it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Some said that it wasn't TT's fault and that Whittington slipped. Others argue that it was a combination of running the ball in the shotgun formation and TT's sluggish, tardy hand off, that allowed the Fuskies to get into the backfield and surprise Whittington.  He slipped when he tried to stop on a dime and reverse directions.

Like all season, TT's body language and his whole demeanor never showed that he was engaged.  Even with everything riding on that one down, he still looked as if he was just going through the motions.  It would be a waste of a scholarship and valuable playtime to invest in him further, when its obvious he doesn't want to be there.

SUC's backup QB got to play almost the entire 4th quarter against the Buffs like TT did.  Unlike TT, SUC's backup QB, Moss, was a true frosh with very little live game experience.  Even if it was against one of the worst defenses in the Pac-12, he made the most of his time and marched his offense down the field to score 2 TDs.  In doing so, he won over the trust of his team and his fans. TT on the other hand, looked incapable of moving the ball 10 yards almost all season.  Ducks never had that sense of comfort.

I don't care if Butters looks worse than TT in practice.  I want a guy who wants to be there, hungry, and itching to prove himself on every snap.  It was irresponsible of the coaches to let TT steal away precious playtime from Butters all season, for the inevitable fear of losing him to the transfer portal.  Also, it did nothing to prepare us for these dreaded situations, whenever our starting QB goes down.

Why do the coaches continue to cling to him and treat him with kid gloves, when he hasn't taken any steps to show that he can lead this offense?  It was so obvious to all those watching, both Duck fans and non-Ducks that the coaches don't trust him with the ball.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Great post! 1

All season long we've been puzzled by TT's performance, or lack of it.  Just last week I speculated maybe it was because he was entering the games when the Ducks already had the win in-hand and was just in to protect the ball.  Maybe he just needed to come in with the game on the line once.

Well, yesterday he got his "shot" at trying to save the game from a loss and make a gigantic impact on the Oregon football program.  

He looked exactly like he's looked all season long - either disinterested or over-whelmed or completely ambivalent.  What a disappointment for nearly everyone.  No, we aren't blaming the loss on him - but I think we know now what to expect from TT and it's not what we all want.

• Great post! 1

On 11/13/2022 at 12:57 PM, Mic said:

All season long we've been puzzled by TT's performance, or lack of it.  Just last week I speculated maybe it was because he was entering the games when the Ducks already had the win in-hand and was just in to protect the ball.  Maybe he just needed to come in with the game on the line once.

It was probably the coaches' way of appeasing him to hopefully keep him around.  But for what?  To play Dante Moore's backup in garbage time?

On 11/13/2022 at 3:02 PM, DuckIt said:

It was probably the coaches' way of appeasing him to hopefully keep him around.  But for what?  To play Dante Moore's backup in garbage time?

Somehow I just can't see a 3rd year, 5 star 'Sophomore' playing backup to a true Freshman, no matter how good either of them really are.  Something has to give.

On 11/13/2022 at 4:07 PM, Mic said:

Somehow I just can't see a 3rd year, 5 star 'Sophomore' playing backup to a true Freshman, no matter how good either of them really are.  Something has to give.

He was barely a 5 star. Not consensus like Moore. I think he’s simply a bust.

Oregon should have punted. 

Backup QB, own 35, 1:35 left, tied game, Bo jumping up and down.

Punt. Hope for OT. Bo gets back in.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2022 at 12:25 PM, JMac said:

So, after a little time to cool down, there is one thing that is sticking with me. Ty Thompson doesn’t deserve to be qb2. He doesn’t care, or is too scared to play. I understand that the coaches probably told him to let the rbs run the ball, but come on.

Those hand offs look like they’re being delivered by a mannequin. The loss, in the end, isn’t on him, but he didn’t contribute anything.

This being TT's 3rd year in the program, I'm still trying to figure out what the previous staff was doing with QB "development".  I think we're seeing a pattern, though, of Mari no O's program of natural QB regression.  There's a track record to follow -  vastly under utilizing the fabulous JH, turning AB into merely a journey man QB from what he was, and turning TT into a "mannequin'.  At present he has moved on and is now focusing his efforts on turning a potential Heisman candidate into what AB was last year.

A normal expectation of TT is that he would, at the very least, not be worse than he was in high school.  But to watch him, it's apparent that he really wants to be anywhere but on the field at that moment.  @JMac above is correct, the loss isn't on TT, but he sure as (substitute adjectives of your choice here) didn't do anything to try avoiding the loss.

At the very least, I would like to see Butters get a shot.  If he shows any emotion at all, win, lose or draw, it would be an improvement IMHO.

Go Ducks!!

• Great post! 1

On 11/13/2022 at 2:40 PM, 47sgs said:

Locke and Burmeister comes to mind.

Doesn't the latter play at San Diego St. this year?