Gusduck71

Lanning Was Out-Coached

Coach Lanning is a first year head coach as we all know, he was outfoxed by a veteran! Penix throwing for 400+ yards and the Ducks rushing for 200+ and still losing shows me that DeBoer and staff knew exactly what they were doing. Coach Lanning will learn from this. In the meantime, we need a pass rush!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2022 at 5:56 PM, Gusduck71 said:

Ducks rushing for 200+

Yep, 312 is over 200+

The defense is going to be a major project. 

We complain about how bad it is right now but the sad truth is that this defense has had the same problems for the last three years. 

I feel like Lanning is addressing the issue with recruiting but at this time we don't have the players capable of making this defense better for whatever reason. 

These players have the same problems for three years with three different DCs!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/13/2022 at 5:58 PM, Steven A said:

Yep, 312 is over 200+

Holy crap! I thought it was 212!

I'll agree Lanning made coaching errors, but we had this game won until the play Bo got hurt.  If they'd been able to score, it would have been a 10 point lead

The biggest error I saw was with TT in, 4th down, Bo jumping up and down on the sidelines to get in, and Lanning saw him, but didn't call time out to get him in.  If he had, it might have been Bo and Oregon driving to get the winning field goal instead of UW.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:05 PM, 47sgs said:

The biggest error I saw was with TT in, 4th down, Bo jumping up and down on the sidelines to get in, and Lanning saw him, but didn't call time out to get him in. 

I agree. That and the cutesy goal line formation. Everything else I can live with. 

David Marsh and cartm25 I think you are on to something...3 DC's is not easy for kids in 3 years, but...we don't have the load of 5 star kids Georgia had that could create pressure with just a 4 man rush and hold up in the back 7.  We have some stars and they've proven themselves (Noah, Gonzales) but the D-line is not at the level of the GA, AL, tOSU, Clemson types.  Yet.   I think the offense will be ok, just need to get those big time D recruits.  

The next 3 games, 4 if we can figure this out...we need to find a way to create pressure.  4 man rush cover 2 isn't getting it done against good teams.  The next 2-3 games will be really good teams!

Edited by JDuck

On 11/14/2022 at 9:10 AM, JDuck said:

I think the offense will be ok, just need to get those big time D recruits.  

Oregon has a stellar class of defensive linemen lined up as recruits right now. This is a problem that is being addressed but this is the side of the team that is in need of a rebuild and it's in the process of getting one. The individual players currently on the roster are pretty good as individuals but can't seem to play as a team. 

I feel Sewell is a bit lost in the current scheme, the previous schemes basically used him as a pure run stopper which is something he is good at but he is meh in coverage. 

Oddly enough the type of linebacker that Lanning really needs right now is a Troy Dye... Jeffery Basa is probably in the Troy Dye mold more than anyone else... a converted safety to linebacker. Flowe could be a great fit but right now he is just playing wild and out of control.

• Applause 1

You learn more from losses than you do from wins. I look forward to seeing what was learned by the coaches and players. 

I think this team wasn't necessarily aware of the target a top 10 ranking puts on one's back. The dawgs came out ready to hand a loss on our Ducks and the Utes will too. I think it will be more important for the players to learn from this.

The coaches questionable decisions won't take too much to adjust. That will be interesting as well, but Lanning has stated he wants to go for it and take risks. It just might be the fans who need to be ready for what they have been wanting for a few years.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2022 at 9:16 AM, David Marsh said:

Oregon has a stellar class of defensive linemen lined up as recruits right now. This is a problem that is being addressed but this is the side of the team that is in need of a rebuild and it's in the process of getting one. The individual players currently on the roster are pretty good as individuals but can't seem to play as a team. 

I feel Sewell is a bit lost in the current scheme, the previous schemes basically used him as a pure run stopper which is something he is good at but he is meh in coverage. 

Oddly enough the type of linebacker that Lanning really needs right now is a Troy Dye... Jeffery Basa is probably in the Troy Dye mold more than anyone else... a converted safety to linebacker. Flowe could be a great fit but right now he is just playing wild and out of control.

"meh" is being kind to Noah.  He's excellent at being a run stopper and plugging up holes in the line, that's just how he's built.  But a guy his size just can't do pass coverage and it shows.  I agree with you that DL's defense basically needs a lineup of 3 Jeffrey Basas at LB...guys that are around 6'3" and 220 lbs which are just big enough to help with RBs but quick enough to adequately defend the pass.  He's already started to address that in the 2022 class with Devon Jackson (6'2", 200lbs) and Harrison Taggart (also 6'2" 200lbs).  We'll probably see them start lining up alongside Flowe next season (I think Sewell will declare after this season).

On 11/14/2022 at 10:28 AM, kirklandduck said:

We'll probably see them start lining up alongside Flowe next season

That is if Flowe can figure out coverage... right now he just flies around the field and hits people... often the quarterback late. 

It’s one thing to be an assistant coach focused on your own group in the super-charged atmosphere of a big time, over-heated rivalry game, and another being the head coach responsible for not letting those emotions take charge, and losing touch with the calm, cold focus which is what wins games like these.

It’s likely Lanning experienced this type of atmosphere quite a few times with Smart, and observed how his head coach handled it — sometimes well, sometimes not so well. But in either case, it can’t really prepare you for the first time when you’re  in charge of keeping a firm grip on the bull’s horns, and just how tough a task that is to do.

But that’s how the good ones learn, and I’m in agreement with others: give Dan a bit more time in the saddle while assembling his pieces, and he’ll get there.

Edited by Washington Waddler
missing word
  • Thumbs Up 2

I revert back to our last head coach.  Despite some questionable calls, Lanning is such a breathe of fresh air, and is unquestionably a better in game coach.  We were tired of the conservative approach, and we're now getting what we wanted.

If the gambles had worked, he'd be a hero.  Chip made some questionable calls during his time as well.  If you're going to be aggressive, you also need to be prepared for the failures when they occur.    I'm sure he'll learn quickly how to fine tune it to increase his chances for success.

If Bo hadn't got hurt and we scored on that possession, I don't know that Lanning would have been considered as outcoached.  

• Great post! 2

On 11/14/2022 at 10:35 AM, David Marsh said:

That is if Flowe can figure out coverage... right now he just flies around the field and hits people... often the quarterback late. 

Definitely.  Right now I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and chalking it up to inexperience....he's playing like a true freshman right now...I'm expecting him to dial down the aggression by 10% and being more field-savvy next season.

Lots of solid viewpoints on this thread. Much to ponder and maybe even rethink, for sure.

It's obvious that mistakes were made by coaches(their decisions) and players(their execution), alike. Sometimes you can overcome them and sometimes you cant.......

This was a can't situation...........

Sure saw alot of heart, will power and determination by the Ducks players. Yes, the loss was brutal but we can be proud of these young men!

IMHO, i don't feel Coach Lanning got out coached. Lanning and the offense took the air out of the ball in the 4th quarter. And Deboer and his staff had no answer.

The Ducks score a TD and the game is over. The Ducks stopped themselves. That was execution not coaching.

It never crossed my mind, until the final whistle blew, that we would lose that game. That game was all about 2 high powered offenses and who would outscore the other.

I feel The Ducks were out scored but not out coached.

GO DUCKS! Let's beat Utah.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2022 at 1:35 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I feel The Ducks were out scored but not out coached.     GO DUCKS! Let's beat Utah.

Making a blanket statement (as some did above) that Lanning may have been "out-coached" by Karen Deboar is rather severe.  Throughout the course of 60 minutes of football there is a LOT of coaching that went into that before the game even started, not to mention what occurred during the game. And this game went right down to the wire with either team in position to win it.

Lanning may (may being the operative word) have made a mistake at a critical moment, but so may have DeBoar.  The difference being UW won and O lost so fans, media and critics all pile on the loser.  Had Oregon scored a TD instead of kicking the last FG critics would have been piling on DeBoar for not going for the 1st down earlier when he opted to kick the FG instead.  (I'm talking about the one that brought them to within 4 of Oregon).

So, there you are.  Win: your brilliant.  Lose: your not.  Win: you out-coached your opponent, lose: you were out-coached.  That's fans, media and critics.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As someone who didn't have a dog in the hunt, here's what I saw...

Ducks looked much more physical and talented and had the massive momentum of that incredible Autzen crowd behind them. But as the game wore on Washington just wouldn't die. I'm not sure how they were able to continue to muster the strength to keep fighting when they were clearly outclassed by just the sheer physicality and intensity of the ducks. But they were just gritty and hung around and then got some real lucky breaks at the end....especially the Troy Franklin illegal touching penalty. If that had not been called, it would have given you guys a very realistic field goal attempt and probably an overtime victory. I think if those two teams played ten times the Ducks would win eight or nine of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/18/2022 at 10:17 AM, FreddyD said:

especially the Troy Franklin illegal touching penalty.

I agree this was the game.

I can not definitively say it was a bad call. But, it sure looked like a bad call.

The game should never be in the hands of the refs that late in the game. Especially when playing in the Pac12. A few better decisions earlier in the game would have made this call more manageable.

I'm confident our brilliant, young, first year coach, will use this as a learning experience and do better in the future.

That being said... Washington has themselves a good coach. They will remain a substantial rival in the future. Our Ducks, UW, and Utah will all be very competitive in the years to come.

Edited by DUCati855

On 11/18/2022 at 9:59 AM, Mic said:

So, there you are.  Win: your brilliant.  Lose: your not.  Win: you out-coached your opponent, lose: you were out-coached.  That's fans, media and critics.

Win: your brilliant or LUCKY.  Lose: your not or UNLUCKY .  Win: you out-coached your opponent or were LUCKY, lose: you were out-coached or UNLUCKY.  That's fans, media and critics from the other perspective. 

He who wins gets to write the history.

On 11/13/2022 at 7:04 PM, David Marsh said:

The defense is going to be a major project. 

We complain about how bad it is right now but the sad truth is that this defense has had the same problems for the last three years. 

I feel like Lanning is addressing the issue with recruiting but at this time we don't have the players capable of making this defense better for whatever reason. 

These players have the same problems for three years with three different DCs!

A lot do that is due to the fact that premier defensive linemen have been leaving the West coast for the BIG10 and South.  San Diego State being added to the conference isn’t going make it better. JTT is at Ohio State and Jayden Wayne left for Miami. No scheme is going to fix not having talent on the DL. In 2019 Oregon was carried by their defense with AA coaching them. They were 13th in the nation and 1st In the conference in overall defense. 

My apologies for not reading the entire threat, but I agree with Freddy's conclusion. 

If not for the bad snap, Oregon would have scored a touchdown, attained a two score and left little time on the clock. Lanning's approach in the fourth quarter was sound, whatever one says about his gambles at the end of the first half. 

The officials also did us few favors. 

Conclusion: Lanning was mostly unlucky. 

On 11/18/2022 at 1:54 PM, Flaps2 said:

A lot do that is due to the fact that premier defensive linemen have been leaving the West coast for the BIG10 and South.  San Diego State being added to the conference isn’t going make it better. JTT is at Ohio State and Jayden Wayne left for Miami. No scheme is going to fix not having talent on the DL. In 2019 Oregon was carried by their defense with AA coaching them. They were 13th in the nation and 1st In the conference in overall defense. 

Lanning is making a big push for some quality linemen. 

Avalos in 2019 was a solid coach inheriting a roster of veterans and capitalized on that. Our 2020 defense may have been good if we didn't have so many opt outs. I think that the lack of veterans has really hurt us in the long run. 

But 2020, 2021, and 2022's defenses have all had some major diminishing returns and many of these players were four stars as recruits.