47sgs

Dillingham to ASU Picking Up Steam

This isn't very encouaging.

SUPERWESTSPORTS.COM

SuperWest Sports News Feed: Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham's candidacy for ASU's head coaching job picking up steam

ASU's getting desperate...probably because no one wants to coach ASU with an unknown number of sanctions coming their way.  If I were Dillingham I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.  Nothing kills a promising career like a really bad move.

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

People chasing that flapping Dollar in the wind, might.  But smart people, develop their foundations first.  See Dan Lanning assembly of staff.  Could it be possible, sure.  Smart man making that decision, KD NO WAY says me.  Kenny wants to prove himself.  Arizona St going to have some NCAA issues.

No matter what, if KD performs to the level he has, there will be positions galore for a man of his skills.  One that will provide security to him and his young family.  Had Harsin, looked at Auburns past, Place where Coaches go to Die Rich.  See Texas, Miami, FSU, Tennessee, Florida, USC and soon to be Texas A&M.  I would have added Nebraska but they kept their coaches over 4 years, I believe.

Why take a job with the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head?  In addition to a depleted roster and pending sanctions the Athletic Director is on thin ice, having recently received the dreaded vote of confidence from the ASU president.  The tweet quoted below speaks volumes.

Anderson is under contract through February of 2026. Anderson himself had been ambiguous about his role in hiring ASU’s new football coach, saying he’d be involved but didn’t know “the structure” of how the process would work.

• Thumbs Up 1

1. I am not going to worry about this stuff until after the season is over.  We'll know then...

2. I will bet anyone a six pack of their favorite brew that BOTH Lanning and Dilly will be here at Spring Football.

Dillingham2_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Dilly will probably be getting a raise at Oregon. 

The offense hasn't been a problem this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I Agree with Mr. FD, I'll worry about the silly season when it gets here.  We know KD is a rising star and is going to get offers, but I'm betting he wouldn't take this job even if offered.

Sounds like they’re putting in overtime down at the rumor mill.

• Thumbs Up 1

After watching the KD interview video and seeing his connection with DL I just can't see him going yet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's another problem and sign of OBD's success.  I tell all my fellow OBD fans after Saturday to take a deep breath and look at the big picture - shouldn't we be happy that UW made such a huge deal about beating us?   Remember how it was a HUGE DEAL for UO to beat UW back in 1994?  How the tide has turned?   OBD is now enjoying the prestidge of Alabama, tOSU, Clemson and ND, where other teams "win of the (insert forever in their timeline)" is beating the Ducks?   Same idea about yanking coaches form us...

We should rejoice in the successes of OBD and continue to be proud of our team, as long as they keep working on it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 2

You cant fault the guy if there's $$$ to be made.

On 11/14/2022 at 12:53 PM, kirklandduck said:

If I were Dillingham I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. 

Hell, if I were Dillingham that pole would reach from Eugene to Tempe and then extend out to push that job/rumor over the edge of the universe.  

• Haha 3

On 11/14/2022 at 1:44 PM, Charles Fischer said:

1. I am not going to worry about this stuff until after the season is over.  We'll know then...

2. I will bet anyone a six pack of their favorite brew that BOTH Lanning and Dilly will be here at Spring Football.

Dillingham2_Fox Sports Video.jpg

You're on Charles!  I like the Hop Valley Bubble Stash.  

• Applause 1

I sure hope you are correct Charles! I'm not taking that bet.

• Go Ducks! 1

It’s never easy to gauge the effect on a coach who is being offered the chance to ride into his home state and alma mater like the cavalry come to save the day.  You could call it the Mario effect.  It probably tugs at such a guy like a magnet.  And if enough money is being thrown at them it can tip the scale.

You just hope that KD is as smart as they think he is, and lets the emotional pull and money wash over him until he can come to a clear understanding of what is at stake.  If he does that, it’s hard to imagine him walking into that mine field.

Think about how passionate we are as fans about Oregon, then add in the emotion of playing or coaching at that school.  

If Oregon called me for any position, I wouldn’t even have to think about it.  It would have nothing to do with money. I don’t care how big of a mess the school or program was in, I would pull the trigger immediately and go for it. 

Mario made a terrible decision, but how can you blame him? I would have done the exact same thing.

My guess is Dilly is gone for that reason. ASU is a mess, but there are advantages to that.  The biggest being that he probably is going to get some time to build it without immediate consequences.

Edited by GeotechDuck

ARIZONASPORTS.COM

Arizona State has hired outside help from an organizational consulting firm to aid the university in finding its next head football coach.

Dillingham may be a candidate for the job, but he isn't necessarily THE candidate.  ASU has hired a search group for candidates, and they also have the interim coach as a candidate.  We'll just have to see how it plays out and if he's even offered the job.

The most prominent names for the ASU job are Jim Mora Jr. and Bryan Harsin. Both make a lot more sense than Dilly, as it is unknown if he has the tools to be a head coach, as it is so early in his career at age 32.

Jim Mora knows the West coast, and understands the Pac-12 as he has led UCLA to a 46-30 record. He’s got UCONN to 6-5 this season after the single win in 2021 and two wins in 2019. (No 2020 season) He is really turning things around there.

UConn football coach Jim Mora comments on roster limit

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/15/2022 at 9:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

The most prominent names for the ASU job are Jim Mora Jr. and Bryan Harsin. Both make a lot more sense than Dilly, as it is unknown if he has the tools to be a head coach, as it is so early in his career at age 32.

Jim Mora knows the West coast, and understands the Pac-12 as he has led UCLA to a 46-30 record. He’s got UCONN to 6-5 this season after the single win in 2021 and two wins in 2019. (No 2020 season) He is really turning things around there.

I could see Harsin going to ASU, it's certainly closer to geographic areas he's more familiar with for recruiting.  I still have no idea why Auburn hired him in the first place.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

1000% agree on Mora and Harsin.  

I think Lanning will counsel Dilly to take the approach that he did, which was to wait for the right opportunity.   ASU may avoid serious NCAA sanctions due to the fact that they basically cleaned the house of the coaches who were involved in some of the mess there but they will likely get some sort of punishment.   A guess is a reduction in scholarships and some other administrative changes they need to make so for a couple of guys who want to get back to the P12 this job might be attractive.  

The AD there has been known to make some 'head scratching' decisions so hard to say what he might do, but Mora or Harsin would fit  his  profile of possible hires in my opinion before KD.  

If Dillingham bides his time a little bit, there will be better offers than this coming along. It might be at a lower level than the PAC at first, but with a great chance for success.

Then, if he makes the best of that chance, he's in the running for some big time jobs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Short term a very good idea. Longterm probably not such a great idea if your dream is to be a successful head football coach.

The problem here is it is a brilliant idea if you just want to go pick up a winning lottery ticket. We live in a society where the American dream seems to be to win the lottery. Hard work and putting in the time to be successful isn't seen as often as the highly publicized lottery winner. 

Whether it is the elite school dropout who takes their unprofitable company public, or just the coach who put up some great statistics, the big money is a large lure.

Can Dilly stay focused on building his resume and ability or will he follow our previous two head coaches into the chase for the big bucks.

I will also say there is nothing wrong with knowing where your ceiling is. Helfrich probably would have become one of the most elite OC's in the country, but chased after something he wasn't able to succeed at. Either way tough choice.

247 Sports just published a list of the hot assistant coaches, and ones already rumored to be in consideration for open jobs.  Dillingham isn't even on the list, interestingly enough.

247SPORTS.COM

Breaking down the hottest names to watch on the college football coaching carousel with feedback from those in the industry.