MrBrooks

Two Cents Worth .... Nix Injury

2 thoughts from Saturday:

1.  Nixes injury on 3rd and 5 looked to me like it resulted from a submarine tackle with the crown of the helmet to his leg/ankle.  Targeting no call?? Just wondering.

2.  After 10 games, if Nix is out any plays or games, why not run a wildcat offense w/o a quarterback.  The way the RB's are producing Dillingham should be able to squeeze some sort of passing out of RB's/TE's/Receivers.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Rules 1. Spearing is the deliberate use of the helmet (including the face mask) in an attempt to punish an opponent. 2. No player intentionally shall strike a runner with the crown or top of the helmet.

I posted this rule earlier. Nix immediately knew. Thats why he looked at the LB who speared him the way he did. 

No flag, seems to be a non issue to most. To me it was an illegal tackle. I am Not sure if it was intentional but Bo appeared to think so.

Dude did lower his head and spear Nix in the legs. Lowering the head shows intent. 

The history between these two teams is heated. 

• Great post! 1

I thought at the time the mutt also may have tried to hit Bo in the groin while they were on the ground.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2022 at 4:17 PM, Log Haulin said:

Rules 1. Spearing is the deliberate use of the helmet (including the face mask) in an attempt to punish an opponent. 2. No player intentionally shall strike a runner with the crown or top of the helmet.

I posted this rule earlier. Nix immediately knew. Thats why he looked at the LB who speared him the way he did. 

Well now I know why Bo was staring at him sitting on the ground.  I saw that from the stands and have watched it at home on TV (recorded).  Where were the Refs on that one?   

• Thumbs Up 1

P.A.C.1.2.REFS... !

All you need to know.

• Great post! 1

It happened at the 4:04 mark in the 4th. I think Lanning needs an explanation from the Pac-12 and the Washington staff.

I think where most of us have a hard time focusing in on this one play is the fact that so many areas of this game were incredibly flawed. From coaching to execution.

Probably the worst defensive play I have ever seen from a Duck team. Absolutely horrible. No excuse for it, thats why Lanning didn't give one. 

But this play was also a turning point and could have ended Bo's season and possibly career.  Unacceptable. 

Nix had words with the DB. That's something I like about Bo. He's not afraid to speak his mind.

On 11/14/2022 at 6:11 PM, Log Haulin said:

It happened at the 4:04 mark in the 4th. I think Lanning needs an explanation from the Pac-12 and the Washington staff. 

I won't disagree but ... good luck with that one.

I agree with you all. I made a similar observation right after the game. 

Jackson Powers-Johnson was given a penalty for touching an opponents helmet, an action that had no impact on the play, as the ball carrier had already run through the hole. The penalty was in effect a 35 yard penalty, which cost Oregon 4 points and provided the margin of victory. 

I am not saying that was the wrong call, but if the officials are going to punish contact to the helmet that severely, then spearing another player ought to be taken seriously, also, especially when it clearly affected the course of the game. 

This is the third instance that I can recall where a dirty hit cost Oregon the game. The others were, ironically, the hit on Justin Herbert in the game where Bo was Auburn's QB, and a hit on Masoli by Boise State's safety probably in Bellotti's last year. 

Frustrating. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

As an interested fan I'd like to know: Has Lanning given any injury/player availability updates for Saturday's game as yet? Can Bo play and, if so, how limited is he expected to be?

I see it another way. Bo lowered his body and helmet to initiate contact maybe to try and get a targeting call.

When that happens to the Ducks it infuriates me. What's the defensive player to do.

I believe if the offensive player lowers his body and helmet there should be a no call or possibly create a penalty on the offensive player.

As far as the play in question I feel Bo saw an open field just like earlier in the game but the defensive player remembered that and filled the hole this time.

I hate to say it but it was the play of the game. The safety doesn't make that play, we go up by 10 and win the game.

On 11/15/2022 at 10:23 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

As an interested fan I'd like to know: Has Lanning given any injury/player availability updates for Saturday's game as yet? Can Bo play and, if so, how limited is he expected to be?

This is from a couple of days ago. Not sure if there have been or will be any updates before the game.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Lanning was asked about the health of QB Bo Nix. He gave a guarded answer, but hinted at some positive news that was...

• Like 1

Lanning made a comment in his presser on Monday night that they had 'submitted some plays to the league office' but did not elaborate any further.   Likely water under the bridge now.

Lanning is playing the injury situation close to the vest this week and is even restricting media during visits to practice, although he did state the news regarding injuries was what he considered "good news". We aren't going to know the extent of Nix's injury, or whether or not he is good to go until Saturday's game. 

On 11/14/2022 at 4:03 PM, MrBrooks said:

Nixes injury on 3rd and 5 looked to me like it resulted from a submarine tackle with the crown of the helmet to his leg/ankle.  Targeting no call?? Just wondering.

Can't be targeting because there was no helmet-to-helmet contact between the players and the crown of the helmet did not strike another helmet. 

It was mentioned above this would count as spearing because the defensive player really did lower his helmet and lead with his helmet into Nix and it hit around Nix's leg by the look of it. There probably should have been a call but there wasn't. 

On 11/16/2022 at 3:02 AM, Duck 1972 said:

As far as the play in question I feel Bo saw an open field just like earlier in the game but the defensive player remembered that and filled the hole this time.

I think that player baited Bo when he saw the formation and knew what was coming.  I'm not sure we will ever see a targeting call on a below the waist tackle.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:36 PM, latracey said:

Lanning is playing the injury situation close to the vest this week and is even restricting media during visits to practice, although he did state the news regarding injuries was what he considered "good news". We aren't going to know the extent of Nix's injury, or whether or not he is good to go until Saturday's game. 

I heard a rumor that Nix was walking around just fine... I think Nix will probably be good to go but other players are still up in the air like Forsyth and Walk. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone with intel on Cota?  He’s been a valuable contributor to this point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2022 at 2:10 PM, Orebcker said:

Anyone with intel on Cota?  He’s been a valuable contributor to this point. 

Q: How has Chase Cota progressed?

Lanning: "He's been practicing this week, we'll see how he feels."

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon Ducks head coach Dan Lanning met with the media on Wednesday to discuss injuries and Oregon's upcoming matchup...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2022 at 2:51 PM, David Marsh said:

Can't be targeting because there was no helmet-to-helmet contact between the players and the crown of the helmet did not strike another helmet.

Not completely true.  Oregon lost a player to targeting for lowering his helmet into another player's A$$.

• Great post! 1

APNEWS.COM

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — College football players penalized for targeting can have part of their punishment appealed...

Interesting article that addresses 3 situations all in the final moments of the game.

Did Oregon lose a down due to illegal touching?

Did Hutson fake an injury?

On 11/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, nw777b said:
APNEWS.COM

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — College football players penalized for targeting can have part of their punishment appealed...

Interesting article that addresses 3 situations all in the final moments of the game.

Did Oregon lose a down due to illegal touching?

Did Hutson fake an injury?

Yes, O lost a down due to illegal touching but the "force out of bounds" should have been called but was not. And THAT wasn't reviewable.

And yes, apparently Hutson did fake the injury and was even stupid enough to admit it to reporters.  Both of which are dead wrong!

On 11/16/2022 at 12:51 PM, David Marsh said:

It was mentioned above this would count as spearing because the defensive player really did lower his helmet and lead with his helmet into Nix and it hit around Nix's leg by the look of it. There probably should have been a call but there wasn't. 

This is incorrect. It can be and is called targeting if contact is initiated with the crown of the helmet. I believe this has replaced the old call of spearing.