Pennsylvania Duck

Lanning, Players Convey Confidence in Backup QBs if Bo Nix Can't Go

It remains unclear who will be under center on Saturday night when 10th-ranked Utah comes to town.

Starting quarterback Bo Nix suffered an injury in the loss to Washington, and might not be available for this weekend's game.

Practices have remained open to media this week with one caveat — details of injured players are not to be written about.

Let's keep our fingers crossed it doesn't come to this!!!!

247SPORTS.COM

Lanning and players convey confidence in backup QBs if Bo Nix can't go

Kris Hutson gave a post practice interview shown on 247 Sports Duck Territory where he actually said Bo is down so it’s the next man up, and then talked about how much confidence he has in Ty Thompson successfully leading the team. My fingers are crossed that this is part of Lanning’s gamesmanship to fake out Utah, but I don’t know…

Hutson also suggested he faked his injury and it was just part of the game plan to give Oregon a few more seconds last Saturday night. Yikes !!

Edited by latracey
  • Yikes! 1

No player or coach is going to say anything other than what was said regarding the potential next man up. Saying anything other than that, whether you mean it or not, destroys the team culture.

That being said, I can't imagine a guy making a comment like Hutson's if Ty wasn't already taking the majority 1st team reps in practice; or there was any doubt as to whether Bo would be starting this weekend.

Here we go Ducks fans. 75% or more of you wanted Ty to get his shot at starting this year and it may well happen this weekend. Here's to hoping the big moment is just what he needs to light the spark that starts the fire.

Edited by Babyjesus615
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well there's always the Holiday bowl.

• Thumbs Up 2

Right now I want what is best for Bo and the Ducks. We need him to help us win, out and he goes to NYC for the trophy show. 

If it is Ty then all the best, but Bo deserves to finish it out!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is not good at all.   A lot of sweats coming Saturday night...

Also, seems like Kris Hutson talks too much.  Hope he doesn't get disciplined and miss a game.

Edited by DuckFan93

Ty has all the physical tools to lead the team. However, he lacks almost 40 starts under his belt. He lacks the game time reps necessary to bring the offense to the line of scrimmage with Dillys play. Then in a few seconds, read the defense, bark out an audible and execute that play.

That key ingredient keeps defenses off balance........ Bo and Dilly, together, worked it to near perfection after the Georgia game.

That uneasy feeling i had earlier today, about Bo, has turned to into a knot in my stomach. But that's part of football.

For TT or JB the rubber may very well meet the road this Saturday. This Duck fan will support either one 100%.  This would be a great time for the future NFL players on the D to step up and meet their potential. That could be all the difference in a victory or a defeat.

• Applause 2

On 11/16/2022 at 5:03 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Ty has all the physical tools to lead the team. However, he lacks almost 40 starts under his belt. He lacks the game time reps necessary to bring the offense to the line of scrimmage with Dillys play. Then in a few seconds, read the defense, bark out an audible and execute that play.

That key ingredient keeps defenses off balance........ Bo and Dilly, together, worked it to near perfection after the Georgia game.

That uneasy feeling i had earlier today, about Bo, has turned to into a knot in my stomach. But that's part of football.

For TT or JB the rubber may very well meet the road this Saturday. This Duck fan will support either one 100%.  This would be a great time for the future NFL players on the D to step up and meet their potential. That could be all the difference in a victory or a defeat.

Great point players and fans can be fatalistic, or step up and support the next man up.

O-line needs to give him an extra second in the pocket. Receivers need to run even crisper routes and catch balls that may look too tough. The RB's need to both block and run even harder. 

Agree the defense will need to step up and move toward their potential. Every player needs to make a choice to put up the extra effort it will take to help a back-up lead the team and get a win.

They can also choose to lose and take the easy excuse. I doubt this team will take the easy way out.

The fans also need to get loud for the defense, and stay supportive of the guy just doing his best.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2022 at 5:16 PM, latracey said:

Hutson also suggested he faked his injury and it was just part of the game plan to give Oregon a few more seconds last Saturday night.

No more media availability for you, Kris!  I hate this look!

• Thumbs Up 3

This is from the SI All Utes site within the hour. They are picking up on the Bo Nix messages from the interviews today.

Will Oregon's Bo Nix play against the Utah Utes?

Following an injury he sustained against Washington, Bo Nix might not be able to go against Utah.

WWW.SI.COM

Following an injury he sustained against Washington, Bo Nix might not be able to go against Utah.

Sigh. Hope I’m wrong but I have zero confidence in TT. Let’s hope Nix can play. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Gotta luv college football. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I say follow the money, I'll be watching the Vegas line.  Big swing if the oddsmakers think Bo is out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2022 at 5:58 PM, noDucknewby said:

I say follow the money, I'll be watching the Vegas line.  Big swing if the oddsmakers think Bo is out.

I think the line of Oregon by 3 has held.   I have not checked since yesterday.   Anybody have any insights?

On 11/16/2022 at 3:16 PM, latracey said:

Hutson also suggested he faked his injury and it was just part of the game plan to give Oregon a few more seconds last Saturday night. Yikes !!

If this is true then I don't like it - not one bit.  Tosh Lupoi was caught doing that when the D.C. at Cal - against Oregon!!!  His coach reprimanded him for it.  It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Lupoi.  Lord, I don't want to think Dan Lanning is the same kind of person.  It's wrong!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/16/2022 at 3:55 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Here we go Ducks fans. 75% or more of you wanted Ty to get his shot at starting this year and it may well happen this weekend. Here's to hoping the big moment is just what he needs to light the spark that starts the fire.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this, as I said before.  

If Bo can't go Utah is gong to dine, no, feast on Oregon Duck Saturday night.

• Yikes! 1

On 11/16/2022 at 5:40 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Sigh. Hope I’m wrong but I have zero confidence in TT. Let’s hope Nix can play. 

My confidence for him is a little higher - at about 10%.  And that's only because he's been given the role as backup.

Can I make two sets of predictions for the Utah game, Pro-Bo and No-Bo?

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pro-Bo: we lose by 10.  No-Bo: we lose by 30. 

I'd like to say that I'm just joshing around here (and I know I said I had learned my lesson when I picked UCLA)  but given what we saw last weekend, I don't think this is joshing around anymore.  If healthy, Bo can help O keep it close.  Without Bo I don't see any way Oregon can score more than 10 points, tops.  

This isn't my "official" Game Prediction yet.  I reserve the right to alter it when Charles posts the Game Prediction post on Friday.  Maybe by then we'll know more about Bo, Ryan and Alex.  Without all three and it will be worse.

On 11/16/2022 at 7:42 PM, Mic said:

Pro-Bo: we lose by 10.  No-Bo: we lose by 30. 

I'd like to say that I'm just joshing around here (and I know I said I had learned my lesson when I picked UCLA)  but given what we saw last weekend, I don't think this is joshing around anymore.  If healthy, Bo can help O keep it close.  Without Bo I don't see any way Oregon can score more than 10 points, tops.  

This isn't my "official" Game Prediction yet.  I reserve the right to alter it when Charles posts the Game Prediction post on Friday.  Maybe by then we'll know more about Bo, Ryan and Alex.  Without all three and it will be worse.

Without Bo we lose by at least 35 and I don't feel secure that the team has confidence in the backups--Coaches probably don't either. But what are they going to say?

We aren’t going to know anything more about who plays and who doesn’t until we see who is suited up for the game on Saturday. Today is the last media contact day until Saturday night. 

While I’d like to give Ty the benefit of the doubt and believe that a weeks worth of practice with the ones will make the difference, it doesn’t align with what we’ve seen in games he’s played in so far this year; not to mention the fact that Utah’s defense is one of the best in the PAC 12. My fingers are crossed that Bo is able to go.

• Applause 1

Dan Lanning: Oregon Ducks quarterback Bo Nix ‘preparing as if he can go’ against Utah, backups ‘ready to go if needed’

The status of Oregon quarterback Bo Nix against No. 10 Utah remains undetermined, but the nation’s most accurate passer

has been on the practice field this week and preparing to play Saturday night at Autzen Stadium.

Oregon coach Dan Lanning said Nix, who went down after taking a helmet to the thigh on a two-yard run on third and 5 in the fourth quarter on and later returned for UO’s final drive in last week’s loss against Washington, is “preparing himself as if he can go” this week against the Utes (8-2, 6-1 Pac-12).

We’re being really conscientious of him and his reps, want to do a good job taking care of him.

But he’s preparing himself as if he can go. But we also got some other guys ready to go if needed.

This article sure sounds more positive than the earlier one...See for yourself

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Oregon coach Dan Lanning said Nix, who went down after taking a helmet to the thigh on a two-yard run on third and 5 in the fourth...

• Thumbs Up 1

Ducks will win no matter what and they will also be the Pac-12 Champions when all is said and done! 

I too have not felt good about the time that TT has played this season, but if he is our guy I think we will all see a completely different player! 

I'm still believing that we will see the second coming of "Willis Reed" for us older folks when Bo actually lines up behind center! 

Let's go Ducks, beat those Utes!!!!!!

Edited by Smith72
First sentence removed.
  • Go Ducks! 2

On 11/16/2022 at 7:00 PM, Mic said:

If this is true then I don't like it - not one bit.  Tosh Lupoi was caught doing that when the D.C. at Cal - against Oregon!!!  His coach reprimanded him for it.  It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Lupoi.  Lord, I don't want to think Dan Lanning is the same kind of person.  It's wrong!

If this rumor is true, I believe Lanning's contract contains language that would be cause for separation if he knew.

It needs to be investigated. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:05 PM, EOFan said:

Ducks will win no matter what and they will also be the Pac-12 Champions when all is said and done! 

I too have not felt good about the time that TT has played this season, but if he is our guy I think we will all see a completely different player! 

I'm still believing that we will see the second coming of "Willis Reed" for us older folks when Bo actually lines up behind center! 

Let's go Ducks, beat those Utes!!!!!!

Dad Gum... That's a blast from the past!

On 11/17/2022 at 1:53 PM, woundedknees said:

second coming of "Willis Reed"

Interesting to use that analogy in that I watched that game in the basement of a dorm in 1970. 

On 11/16/2022 at 8:00 PM, Mic said:

I don’t have a problem with is. So many programs using spread uptempo and the rules now favoring the offense more and more. Defenses can’t even tackle a quarterback without the player getting kicked out the game and I don’t trust the incompetent Pac-12 referees. Saban’s teams do it. Dani’s teams do it. Even Kirby’s teams did it in the national title game when Bama had a chance to change the game. Must adapt or perish. 

I have mixed feeling about it too. Obviously not cool but on the other hand it's kind of like the loopholes that the IRS allows us to take advantage of on our taxes. If college football doesn't want people faking injury they need to tighten up the rule.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:28 PM, Flaps2 said:

I don’t have a problem with is.   Must adapt* or perish. 

What?  Must *cheat or perish?  Perish the thought!

Lupoi was let go under a cloud at three different schools, Cal, Washington and Alabama.  Now he has Lanning convinced this is how to win?  If it's true (and that's far from proven) then I don't care what Lanning's record is at Oregon.  I'd rather he move elsewhere.  Let's wait til we find out the truth.

I believe Ty will surprise us all, in a good way. With a weekend working with the ones he will be in a much, much better position to shine.  

if our defense shows up it will be a competitive game.

For the life of me I have no idea why anyone, esp. the coaches and players, would have any confidence in TT given what we've seen of him (in games) this season.  But if they say they do - either they're saying that to keep the sharks from circling the team or they actually feel that way.  And if they do feel that way then I guess I need to stop fretting about it and just sit back and watch what happens Saturday night.  

In its own way, this could turn out to be the single most important game of the entire season.  And it's Senior Night.

On 11/17/2022 at 6:00 PM, Mic said:

What?  Must *cheat or perish?  Perish the thought!

Lupoi was let go under a cloud at three different schools, Cal, Washington and Alabama.  Now he has Lanning convinced this is how to win?  If it's true (and that's far from proven) then I don't care what Lanning's record is at Oregon.  I'd rather he move elsewhere.  Let's wait til we find out the truth.

I guess that would be satisfactory for some.  💁‍♂️

On 11/17/2022 at 9:40 PM, Flaps2 said:

I guess that would be satisfactory for some.  💁‍♂️

Well, I never pretend to speak for more than just myself.  I want to see Oregon win as much as anyone.  But I would prefer to see them win on the field of combat, within the rules of conduct and the proscribed parameters of the game.  This seems the best course to me as the men in charge of coaching these fine young men teach them the secrets for success at their sport while also teaching them the secrets to success in Life. Cheating to win does not seem to me to be a secret for success in any field.

Let's remind ourselves nothing has been proven that Coach Lanning or Lupoi or any other coach at Oregon has ever instructed their players to cheat.  

Edited by Mic

Seems to me that the Coaches would not want to lose a big game due to a 10 second injury time out runoff? 

Maybe I missed something at the end of the game when KH cramped up or whatever happened? 

Wasn't there only 6 seconds left when he made the first down catch? 

I might be confusing everything that happened! 

Go Ducks beat those Utes!!!

Oregon QB Bo Nix (ankle) a game-time decision vs. Utah, sources say

WWW.ESPN.COM

Oregon quarterback Bo Nix remains a game-time decision for Saturday's matchup with No. 10 Utah, sources told ESPN.

On 11/16/2022 at 3:16 PM, latracey said:

Kris Hutson gave a post practice interview shown on 247 Sports Duck Territory where he actually said Bo is down so it’s the next man up, and then talked about how much confidence he has in Ty Thompson successfully leading the team. My fingers are crossed that this is part of Lanning’s gamesmanship to fake out Utah, but I don’t know…

I'm not really concerned about the offense. How many points does Utah want to score?

Frankly, without Bo, it's a matter of how much they want to humiliate OBD. 

Usually I am verbose beyond patience.  But OBD haven't been good in pass coverage since 2019.  

And it's not the coaches.  These players are simply horrible.  If I were a WR, I'd be mad at my QB/DC if I didn't get career stats against OBD. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2022 at 11:48 AM, Mike West said:

I'm not really concerned about the offense. How many points does Utah want to score?

Frankly, without Bo, it's a matter of how much they want to humiliate OBD. 

Usually I am verbose beyond patience.  But OBD haven't been good in pass coverage since 2019.  

And it's not the coaches.  These players are simply horrible.  If I were a WR, I'd be mad at my QB/DC if I didn't get career stats against OBD. 

Nice.

Mr. FishDuck