HawaiiDuck

UC Regents Delay Decision on UCLA to B1G

Looks like we (all) have to wait a month until we find out UCLA's fate. 

UC Regents Delay Decision on UCLA Move to Big Ten to Next Month - Sports Illustrated Cal Bears News, Analysis and More

It will be interesting to see how this time line plays out with the media contracts.

Cal chancellor Carol Christ says she "decries" some of the recent changes in college sports, including "pay for play." Also: "The consolidation of conferences ... is not to the benefit of student athletes, in particular women's and Olympic sports."

We have to leave the pac10/12 so we don't get brought down with Cal and Stanford!

On 11/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, Steven A said:

It will be interesting to see how this time line plays out with the media contracts.

I've considered all four options listed in the article and in my mind, there is NO good option for Cal.  They might as well admit defeat and let the Bruins skedaddle for the B1G and take their chances.  It seems to me replacing UCLA and USC with two other schools to keep the conference at 12 teams is the best way forward. In a few years people will forget they were ever part of the Pac-12 - and now just bottom-feeders in the B1G instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah maybe, I wouldn't take anything Dodds says as factually accurate IMHO.

He also just assumes Washington and Oregon would go.  Maybe not if UCLA stays, we add SDSU and get a decent TV deal.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would find it odd if the B1G TEN media rights required 16 teams to be in the B1G TEN.  Why does the B1G TEN have to add another team?  

The move has only ever worked on paper and for football with only USC and UCLA.  If there were 6 west coast teams, it could work for all sports more or less.

I supposed the B1G TEN could have hurt feelings, but the TV partners got the LA market with USC or UCLA.  They don't really need both.