FishDuck Article

Can the Oregon Ducks Beat Utah Without Nix?

What if Bo Nix is unavailable?  What needs to happen for the Ducks to overcome Utah?

FISHDUCK.COM

This has been a game pinned on the calendar for some time now. The Ducks are fresh off a crushing loss to the Huskies, so it's time to...
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

“What if Thompson shines?”

That would be a wonderful “problem” to have!   We’ll gladly take ALL the “shining” we can get!

• Thumbs Up 3

Alex, thank you for the article. You presented a great deal of "what ifs" to ponder. Personally there are too many layers to consider than can the Ducks beat the Utes without Bo Nix? Or can Ty play the best game of his life?

Even at full strength with the #1 offensive line and Bo healthy OBD's would have their hands full beating Utah. The pourous Duck D forces Bo and company to score on nearly every possession. This version of a Ducks Defense cannot be counted on to stop the Utes. A unit littered with 4 and 5 star talent, backed up with mostly 4 star talent cannot get off the field. It baffles me! And DL and his D staff have had spring ball, fall camp and 10 games to get those problems fixed.........

The better question may be can the Ducks beat a good top 25 team with this defense?

Alex, if Bo can't play, it will be a difficult and tall task for TT to generate first downs let alone touchdowns. This is not criticism directed at Ty. Cutting your teeth against the best, experienced HC in the PAC is a big ask.

Utah will pack the box and take the Oregon running game out. They will force TT to beat them with his feet, arm and quick decision making. Ty has the talent, feet and arm. He lacks the experience to read yhe D and make repeated quick decisions. Utah will do their best to keep TT and the offense from finding their tempo.

If Ty stays in the pocket and locks in on one receiver then we will see interceptions and pick sixes. Hopefully, Dilly will roll Ty out with a safety valve receiver. Make the Utes get tired chasing him. Short 4 yard passing completions are as good as a run.

If Bo can't play then I hope Ty has the game of his life. Hope Ty and the entire offense rallies behind him.

Better yet for a wish! I hope the 11 players who step on the field for the defense "shine"........

It's a team game D. Pull your weight and let's beat Utah. GO DUCKS......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Oh no! 1

Let’s just hope it doesn’t end as bad as the last time the Ducks went with a backup QB at home against Utah.

I believe Bo will start.

BTW, Utah defeated WSU in Pullman with their backup QB. He looked a lot better than Ty.

Tomorrow's outcome is on Oregon's defense.

Can the Oregon Ducks beat Utah without Nix?

Very unlikely. Maybe if Cam Rising gets injured in the first quarter and the Ducks defense can hold Utah to 10 points.

I don't think the Ducks can beat UT period. With Ty in it will look like last years beatdowns.

With Bo not at full strength and our porous D it's going be a long evening at Autzen.

On a positive note I really missed the final score last weekend so my $.02 isn't worth diddle. 

Don’t think I can remember ever seeing a Duck defense as bad as this one and it is extremely puzzling with the talent we have. 

Even though we had more than enough chances to win the Huskie debacle our D clearly cost us that win.

Can we win without Bo? Yes we can but we are going to need a game out of TT that he has shown he has no interest in or the skill to accomplish.

Let’s face it. Utah is a better team than the dogs, are well coached, and we couldn’t get it done at home. Odds say even with Bo we probably loose to the Utes.

If Bo can't play tomorrow, then maybe (insert eerie music) Butterfield will step up and win the day, having been the hidden secret weapon all along. 😉

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So far, without Nix, the Ducks can't even get a first down, much less a win. There is absolutely nothing I have seen that would indicate that Oregon can win without Nix. If he can't go, I believe it will be really, really ugly and depressing.

• Like 1

Based upon what Ive seen so far--Absolutely not.

• Like 1

Run the ball.  Run the ball like the Ducks did on that 99 yard drive but make sure to get into the end zone.  FG's won't beat Cam Rising and Utah.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think if Thompson starts he is going to surprise us with a good performance. I think he has talent and given the opportunity he will get in flow and make good things happen. He will have time to throw thanks to a great OL and his receivers are going to be open. When they get a little space TT will utilize his 5 star arm and zip it in before the defender knows what hit him. I can see it now!

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Cool 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:48 AM, LADuck said:

I think if Thompson starts he is going to surprise us with a good performance. 

I know a lot of Duck fans that are hoping you are right.  On multiple levels, not just because O is still in the Conference title hunt.  Not the least of which it's Senior Night and O has two tough defeats to avenge but mostly because Nix is likely leaving after this season and O needs Ty Thompson to take the reins.  GO DUCKS!

Take Utah and the points. Easy money. TT & JB don’t have the confidence or ability. 

On 11/18/2022 at 8:27 AM, jrw said:

So far, without Nix, the Ducks can't even get a first down, much less a win. There is absolutely nothing I have seen that would indicate that Oregon can win without Nix. If he can't go, I believe it will be really, really ugly and depressing.

This is a tough take, but one we have to come to grips with for now. Fortunately, I hold high optimism that this team will rally under Lanning and manage to compete hard without Nix under center.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2022 at 6:20 AM, Duckdude said:

That would be a wonderful “problem” to have!   We’ll gladly take ALL the “shining” we can get!

The best problem in sports is having two talented quarterbacks. I see that with this Ducks squad and think we'd all agree that if Ty can rise and shine, I'd love what a little controversy would say about this team's talent pool. 

On 11/18/2022 at 8:40 AM, Mic said:

Run the ball.  Run the ball like the Ducks did on that 99 yard drive but make sure to get into the end zone.  FG's won't beat Cam Rising and Utah.  Go Ducks!

I like it! Maybe we see a 200+ rushing day from the Ducks again? Wouldn't that put some much-needed pressure on these Utes...

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/18/2022 at 6:58 AM, nw777b said:

I believe Bo will start.

BTW, Utah defeated WSU in Pullman with their backup QB. He looked a lot better than Ty.

Tomorrow's outcome is on Oregon's defense.

Let's hope the defense can step it up! Need a big game in the front seven particularly. With Rising back out there, the Ducks are going to need to shut him down as a rushing threat. Fast.

I agree that a large part of this game weighs on the Oregon defense's shoulders, but I still think closing it out will come down to quarterback play. 

A couple things, one Ty cares, I can guarantee you that. Many saw Marcus as having too little emotion. We have had quite a few qb's who weren't the more vocal leaders, but they won. 

I remember hearing about Marcus and Justin being the guy in practice. These guys came out and proved they had it when they started. I will bet Ty won't be Bo, and we need to be ok with that. If Ty wins this game it undoubtedly will be a rollercoaster ride of a game. Remember Justin's first start, he threw 2 td's and 1 pic, lost 70-21, but he looked the part, to most fans.

Lastly if Ty does impress, there will be no qb controversy, at all. This is Bo's team and his year. He needs to continued Oregon support to win out so he can get to New York for the Heisman awards. I also want Bo to lead us to a bowl win, he deserves both of these outcome. I see no scenario where fans call for Ty starting over Bo.

That said if Ty plays well it will give most fans a huge sense of relief when thinking about next year. I would love to see a qb battle between Ty and Dante knowing at least one qb has played well in a big game. Right now most are wondering about the transfer portal as a solution to the unease with the qb position next year.

I do look at this being more of a game like Justin was thrown into for his first game. This will be a huge test for Ty and the team. I hope Bo comes out under center, but if it is Ty we need to be realistic about what we expect.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, Haywarduck said:

A couple things, one Ty cares, I can guarantee you that. Many saw Marcus as having too little emotion. We have had quite a few qb's who weren't the more vocal leaders, but they won. 

I remember hearing about Marcus and Justin being the guy in practice. These guys came out and proved they had it when they started. I will bet Ty won't be Bo, and we need to be ok with that. If Ty wins this game it undoubtedly will be a rollercoaster ride of a game. Remember Justin's first start, he threw 2 td's and 1 pic, lost 70-21, but he looked the part, to most fans.

Lastly if Ty does impress, there will be no qb controversy, at all. This is Bo's team and his year. He needs to continued Oregon support to win out so he can get to New York for the Heisman awards. I also want Bo to lead us to a bowl win, he deserves both of these outcome. I see no scenario where fans call for Ty starting over Bo.

That said if Ty plays well it will give most fans a huge sense of relief when thinking about next year. I would love to see a qb battle between Ty and Dante knowing at least one qb has played well in a big game. Right now most are wondering about the transfer portal as a solution to the unease with the qb position next year.

I do look at this being more of a game like Justin was thrown into for his first game. This will be a huge test for Ty and the team. I hope Bo comes out under center, but if it is Ty we need to be realistic about what we expect.

GREAT take.

I surely agree with this being Bo's team., and think that you're spot on about having a sigh of relief for next year.

While it would be fun to see some more of Ty, Bo has played lights out. No reason to shut him down. Huge test for Ty that I think he'll excel in. 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, Haywarduck said:

Justin's first game was at the end of a WSU loss. I belive he drove the Ducks 75 yards or so down the field. 

Justin > Ty

On 11/18/2022 at 8:04 AM, Just Ducky said:

Don’t think I can remember ever seeing a Duck defense as bad as this one and it is extremely puzzling with the talent we have. 

That Cal game in 1993 was pretty bad 😆.  As a student, I made the road trip for that one.  Worst mistake ever!

Oregon's offense puts up almost 650 yards and still loses after leading 30-0.   

On 11/18/2022 at 8:48 AM, LADuck said:

I think if Thompson starts he is going to surprise us with a good performance. I think he has talent and given the opportunity he will get in flow and make good things happen. He will have time to throw thanks to a great OL and his receivers are going to be open. When they get a little space TT will utilize his 5 star arm and zip it in before the defender knows what hit him. I can see it now!

That's what we like to hear!

Surprise surprise, talented quarterbacks thrive when they get a real shot! Would love to see him take advantage of his big arm and start zipping some passes like we've all thought he could the past couple of years.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:13 AM, aheining said:

I like it! Maybe we see a 200+ rushing day from the Ducks again? Wouldn't that put some much-needed pressure on these Utes...

It would.  

O had over 300 yards against UW but somehow still lost the game.  Utah has a stiffer run defense but as good as Oregon's O-line is (haven't heard any updates on Forsyth or Walk) 200+ may be doable.  O will need that regardless of who's taking the snaps.  The best news is UW's passing game, which beat us, is better than Utah's.  

On 11/18/2022 at 6:20 AM, Duckdude said:

I think TT will have a good game if his number is called! 

Can't help but think that everyone inside of the building knows if Ty is going to be the starter! 

I know that it is standard practice for all programs to keep the other team guessing as to who will be playing? 

I think given Ty's play so far this year, it might be a good strategy to say right now that he will be starting. Can't help but believe the Utes being young people might just not come out nearly as fired up. 

Ty could then go out and play the game of a lifetime. 

I really do long for the old days when teams essentially said in advance of the game, here is our team no matter who is starting, go ahead and try to stop us! 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:40 AM, EOFan said:

I think TT will have a good game if his number is called! 

Can't help but think that everyone inside of the building knows if Ty is going to be the starter! 

I know that it is standard practice for all programs to keep the other team guessing as to who will be playing? 

I think given Ty's play so far this year, it might be a good strategy to say right now that he will be starting. Can't help but believe the Utes being young people might just not come out nearly as fired up. 

Ty could then go out and play the game of a lifetime. 

I really do long for the old days when teams essentially said in advance of the game, here is our team no matter who is starting, go ahead and try to stop us! 

I like your take on the depth chart. There's a certain added level of respect, huh? "Come try and beat our best; we already know you can't."

Love the enthusiasm about Ty!

I wish I could be more positive about the game with TT and not Bo, but I just can't.  I've watched him in the spring game, and numerous times in games through the season.  Unfortunately, he's tentative, unsure, doesn't appear to make good reads, and hasn't thrown well.  I  just can't get past that, but I sure hope he would surprise me.

I would really like to know what's happened to Butterfield. He's been on the team quite awhile, played better than TT in the spring game, had good coaching before Oregon, and throws well.  He looked much more poised to me.  Why hasn't he at least got some mop up time?  I think I'd prefer to see him in the game ahead of TT, if for no other reason, he's an unknown.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/18/2022 at 9:47 AM, 47sgs said:

I wish I could be more positive about the game with TT and not Bo, but I just can't.  I've watched him in the spring game, and numerous times in games through the season.  Unfortunately, he's tentative, unsure, doesn't appear to make good reads, and hasn't thrown well.  I  just can't get past that, but I sure hope he would surprise me.

I would really like to know what's happened to Butterfield. He's been on the team quite awhile, played better than TT in the spring game, had good coaching before Oregon, and throws well.  He looked much more poised to me.  Why hasn't he at least got some mop up time?  I think I'd prefer to see him in the game ahead of TT, if for no other reason, he's an unknown.

Thanks for being honest with your opinion!

Interesting take on Butterfield. It does feel strange that given how Ty has done in mop-up duty, there hasn't been at least one set of snaps that Butterfield gets in on.

Maybe it's that recruiting position weight that you hold over your head, like a first round pick in the NFL? Coaches not wanting to look like the team or program missed on someone?

Who's to say.

On 11/18/2022 at 5:52 PM, aheining said:

Maybe it's that recruiting position weight that you hold over your head, like a first round pick in the NFL? Coaches not wanting to look like the team or program missed on someone?

Since Lanning and staff didn't recruit either backup QB, I don't think recruiting position has anything to do with it.  I've gotta believe the coaches simply think TT has more potential and/or is a better option currently than JB, based on what they've seen in practice and position meetings.  Since none of us gets to see any of that, it's impossible for us to know, unfortunately.  

On 11/18/2022 at 9:26 AM, nw777b said:

Justin's first game was at the end of a WSU loss. I belive he drove the Ducks 75 yards or so down the field. 

Justin > Ty

No doubt we can say Justin > Ty, Justin > Bo, and on and on. My statement was on a start.

These are completely different situations, Justin was brought in as the ship was taking on water, and expectations were low. Ty would be coming in to save a season, and playing the #10 ranked team. I just hope the expectations are realistic, if he gets the start. Asking Ty to lead us to a win is a big task first game.

I would also say this is a big task for Lanning and his coaches. Whittingham and his D-coordinator, who has been there 15 years, have to be salivating at taking on a rookie qb, and a young coaching staff. Big task for the whole team, top to bottom.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don’t think we stand a chance without Nix. Primarily because we don’t seem to be able to make teams punt the football. Is there a record for the fewest number of punts in a season by opposing teams? We have to be approaching it!

Edited by Chas Man

Can Oregon beat Utah without Bo Nix? NO. Can Oregon beat Utah with a hobbled Bo Nix? No. Can Oregon beat Utah with a completely healed Bo Nix? It's a toss-up with Oregon's defense.

One thing I have learned in life is anything can happen so I choose to see it as the glass half full and to be as positive as possible. That is why the game is played, right? We have to remember that it is just a game and these are young men, humans beings, who make mistakes.

With all that said, I was much more impressed with Jay Butterfield's performance at the spring game. I am not sure why he is not getting more love. Unfortunately, every time Ty has come into the game I don't feel like he takes command of the huddle. It seems like there is something missing. I am not sure if it is lack of confidence or what. Everyone is always talking about Thompson. I wish Butterfield would get a shot. He seemed to take command of the huddle and the offense during the spring game. If Thompson starts the game and is not producing I hope the coaching staff gives Butterfield a shot. Maybe he will rise to the occasion. I have seen this happen before. I know he is more of a pocket passer but I think he is a better passer and better at reading defenses. If he is able to get the passing game going then at least Utah has to account for it (respect it) and not be able to load the box.

Whatever happens with the quarterback situation, I have to agree with many other posts. It comes down to the Duck D. We need the defense to win us games. It is time they (players and coaches) step up and get us those wins. They need to find ways to get to the QB. If our D can get pressure and hit the QB early and make him uncomfortable it will be huge.

GO DUCKS! 

• Thumbs Up 4

Love the positive thinking in the article!   But, this will be a tough, tough game.  Looking forward to seeing how the Ducks bounce back after last week.

Kyle Whittingham is the coach that Mario wishes he was.  Utah will be a tough game; the game will be dictated in the trenches.  Rising is a good quarterback/leader but he’s no Penix, so our defensive weaknesses won’t be as hurtful.  Utah’s defensive is I think better than Washington’s.   So, depending on the Ducks quarterback situation (healthy Bo, or limited mobility Bo or…) and how dinged up the Oregon O-line is (I think they’re more dinged up than what is being let on) will probably dictate who wins.  Fortunately, the game is at Autzen… so the Ducks have that going for them, plus I think they bounce back from the UW loss with something to prove about protecting their home field.

I have a ton of respect for coach Whittingham and the Utah program.  They are always solid and well coached despite maybe lacking some of the high-starred recruits.  After how they handled the Pharoah Brown injury down there a few years ago, I thought of them as being a class act.   Tough for sure, but with class.

On another note: 

WWW.ESPN.COM

The University of California regents will decide Dec. 14 whether UCLA can depart the Pac-12 for the Big Ten.

My hope/wish would be that UCLA stays in the PAC-12 and we add San Diego State or SMU(or TCU).  That UCLA throttles USC (bye, bye traitor Trojans, don’t let the door hit you in the ass as you scamper to the BIG10 to get your ass kicked there you entitled university of spoiled children).   And that the PAC-12 gets a killer media deal!  One can hope! 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

This has been a great thread to follow. Very diverse comments, thoughts and opinions 

Just wanted to add that running the ball against Washington was possible because the putrid dogs had to respect Bo. They had to play defense against Bo's arm, legs and most of all his smarts. Once the Duck O came to the line, Bo assessed the D's formation and called the audible. Bo took what the dogs gave him. He never came to the line and saw 7 or 8 defenders in the box. With great O Line blocking the running lanes were wide open. Dilly and Bo's audibles made that possible.

If Ty starts, he will face 7 or 8 in the box. Running against Utah will be difficult because they will dare Ty to beat them with his arm and legs.  Running lanes will open up when Ty completes passes or scrambles for first downs. The more Ute defenders that are forced out of the box will open up the powerful Duck ground game.

Hopefully, DL and Dilly make adjustments that play into Ty's natural strengths. Like his arm, legs and athleticism. Roll him out, make those big fatties chase him in the 1st half. Tire them out. 2 back sets for blocking and dump offs. Coaches know better than me.

Turn this game into 7 on 7 and my money is Ty. Dump offs and check off to Oregons awesome backs, in space, should generate chunk plays.

Go Ducks.......

Here's my take, I think without Bo we have about a 20-25% chance of winning, this goes up to about a 30% chance if our O-line is relatively healthy enough that we simulate the rushing effort we have had this season.

I have been of course been seriously concerned by Ty's play so far, but he would have the use of a much more diverse playbook along with better players in front of him than he has usually had this season. 

Dillingham has proven to have pretty good game plans this season, so I could see us having some success on offense.  With all of that said, we'll need some breaks, some TOs, and to play a clean game while hoping Utah doesn't bring their A game.  It's going to be tough!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2022 at 1:23 PM, spartan2785 said:

Here's my take, I think without Bo we have about a 20-25% chance of winning, this goes up to about a 30% chance if our O-line is relatively healthy enough that we simulate the rushing effort we have had this season.

I have been of course been seriously concerned by Ty's play so far, but he would have the use of a much more diverse playbook along with better players in front of him than he has usually had this season. 

Dillingham has proven to have pretty good game plans this season, so I could see us having some success on offense.  With all of that said, we'll need some breaks, some TOs, and to play a clean game while hoping Utah doesn't bring their A game.  It's going to be tough!

O-line has only been touched on a bit, but it's real cause for concern like you said with the injureis we had last week. Should definitely be a tough game, but you're right. we get some breaks and turnovers? We're in business. I think we can still go toe-to-toe with Utah's A game.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:14 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

This has been a great thread to follow. Very diverse comments, thoughts and opinions 

Just wanted to add that running the ball against Washington was possible because the putrid dogs had to respect Bo. They had to play defense against Bo's arm, legs and most of all his smarts. Once the Duck O came to the line, Bo assessed the D's formation and called the audible. Bo took what the dogs gave him. He never came to the line and saw 7 or 8 defenders in the box. With great O Line blocking the running lanes were wide open. Dilly and Bo's audibles made that possible.

If Ty starts, he will face 7 or 8 in the box. Running against Utah will be difficult because they will dare Ty to beat them with his arm and legs.  Running lanes will open up when Ty completes passes or scrambles for first downs. The more Ute defenders that are forced out of the box will open up the powerful Duck ground game.

Hopefully, DL and Dilly make adjustments that play into Ty's natural strengths. Like his arm, legs and athleticism. Roll him out, make those big fatties chase him in the 1st half. Tire them out. 2 back sets for blocking and dump offs. Coaches know better than me.

Turn this game into 7 on 7 and my money is Ty. Dump offs and check off to Oregons awesome backs, in space, should generate chunk plays.

Go Ducks.......

Respecting Bo's rushing ability is an impossible component to replicate, agreed. Touched on this in the article, but a loaded box is going to show a much different Oregon team potentially tomorrow.

Love the 7-on-7 comment!

On 11/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, Skibum said:

Love the positive thinking in the article!   But, this will be a tough, tough game.  Looking forward to seeing how the Ducks bounce back after last week.

Kyle Whittingham is the coach that Mario wishes he was.  Utah will be a tough game; the game will be dictated in the trenches.  Rising is a good quarterback/leader but he’s no Penix, so our defensive weaknesses won’t be as hurtful.  Utah’s defensive is I think better than Washington’s.   So, depending on the Ducks quarterback situation (healthy Bo, or limited mobility Bo or…) and how dinged up the Oregon O-line is (I think they’re more dinged up than what is being let on) will probably dictate who wins.  Fortunately, the game is at Autzen… so the Ducks have that going for them, plus I think they bounce back from the UW loss with something to prove about protecting their home field.

I have a ton of respect for coach Whittingham and the Utah program.  They are always solid and well coached despite maybe lacking some of the high-starred recruits.  After how they handled the Pharoah Brown injury down there a few years ago, I thought of them as being a class act.   Tough for sure, but with class.

On another note: 

WWW.ESPN.COM

The University of California regents will decide Dec. 14 whether UCLA can depart the Pac-12 for the Big Ten.

My hope/wish would be that UCLA stays in the PAC-12 and we add San Diego State or SMU(or TCU).  That UCLA throttles USC (bye, bye traitor Trojans, don’t let the door hit you in the ass as you scamper to the BIG10 to get your ass kicked there you entitled university of spoiled children).   And that the PAC-12 gets a killer media deal!  One can hope! 🙂

Love what you touched on with both coaching staffs' respect. These teams deserve a ton of credit for what they've created this year, and for Utah in particular, the past five years or so. Let's just count on the Ducks to make sure this isn't the Utes' day.

Interesting note about staying in the PAC-12! Would love some fresh blood.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2022 at 11:58 AM, AlwaysADuck70 said:

One thing I have learned in life is anything can happen so I choose to see it as the glass half full and to be as positive as possible. That is why the game is played, right? We have to remember that it is just a game and these are young men, humans beings, who make mistakes.

With all that said, I was much more impressed with Jay Butterfield's performance at the spring game. I am not sure why he is not getting more love. Unfortunately, every time Ty has come into the game I don't feel like he takes command of the huddle. It seems like there is something missing. I am not sure if it is lack of confidence or what. Everyone is always talking about Thompson. I wish Butterfield would get a shot. He seemed to take command of the huddle and the offense during the spring game. If Thompson starts the game and is not producing I hope the coaching staff gives Butterfield a shot. Maybe he will rise to the occasion. I have seen this happen before. I know he is more of a pocket passer but I think he is a better passer and better at reading defenses. If he is able to get the passing game going then at least Utah has to account for it (respect it) and not be able to load the box.

Whatever happens with the quarterback situation, I have to agree with many other posts. It comes down to the Duck D. We need the defense to win us games. It is time they (players and coaches) step up and get us those wins. They need to find ways to get to the QB. If our D can get pressure and hit the QB early and make him uncomfortable it will be huge.

GO DUCKS! 

Butterfield's been getting a lot of buzz in this thread... wonder if we'll see him in limited action this year. Would love to see what he can do when the games matter.

Gotta stay positive! Kudos to you!

The thing about this game is, of course, the injury story.  The Ducks have 3 o-line starters that are doubtful, 3 d-line starters that are doubtful with one questionable, and also that big one, Nix.  Unless most of these guys have a miraculous recovery at the trainer's table, a win is highly unlikely.  Utah is a strong and mostly healthy team right now.  Regarding the defense, this game is the one in which TL must unleash the blitzes and pressure.  At the receiving positions, Utah has one incredible flanker, and is average otherwise. 

So it is possible to pressure with the Duck's talent.  Our D has been very, very passive this entire season (though strong against the run!), which is quite unlike Lanning's Georgia D that could press and pressure everywhere..  So THIS is the time for the Ducks to defy D tendencies. Lastly, Ty Thompson.  If you carefully watch the games he has been in, he never scans the opposing defense for a pre-read.  He walks up to the line with his head down, staring at Forsyth's butt and doesn't look away until the snap.  How can he possibly read the D?  I believe he is stressed and spooked at the role...afraid of making mistakes is the likely culprit in my junior, pseudo-psychologist analysis.  If Nix can't go, I too would like to see Butters get a shot at qb.

So sadly, I think OBD are in the deep end with this game.  I pray for the best, but without most of the injured returning and healthy, it likely won't end to our liking.

I'm 70/30 that Bo starts tomorrow (not adjusting for my hopeful delusions).  That being said if Ty starts then I think it would be a very tall order for him to win against Utah.  The success in the running game is contingent on the deep ball being there and Bo's running abilities as well.  Oregon's dimensionality make it hard to defend.  If we try and pound the rock for 4 quarters... we are back to Cristobal's offense.

Do we really expect Ty to step in and throw deep shots in his first major game?  The coaches would try to build up his rhythm and confidence with screen passes and designed runs gradually extending the playbook.  That is NOT a winning recipe against Utah.

If Ty starts I will shift my gametime focus into looking for positive signs that Ty is making the gains we should expect at the position.  He would have the deck heavily stacked against him so I will not hold it against him or any of the players or coaches if we lose to Utah with Bo injured.  We've been here before and it's tough but it's the game.

If I'm wrong and Ty has a great game and leads the team to victory then I would expect Dante Moore to decommit and head to Michigan St.  I have to believe Dante Moore wants to have a really good chance to start his freshman year and if Ty struggles he has that chance, if not he gets that from the Spartan's.  

Dante's commitment isn't a very big concern to me though, if Ty is the guy to get wins then so much the better as he's already here and he absolutely has talent.  Dem's da brakes as they say.

I'm still going with 70% chance Bo starts with an 80% chance of beating Utah... so like 56% chance of a good game tomorrow 😉

I'm also hopeful that Bo will be OK to play in the game against Utah. However, I have my doubts or else this wouldn't be a topic of conversation right now.

If TT is starting, maybe KD needs to tweak the offense to account for his lack of experience and play to his strengths, as well as emphasize ball security. Maybe more of an option type spread offense similar to what Chip Kelly did when Justin Roper was thrust into the starting QB role in the Ducks bowl game against South Florida back in 2007.

The vast majority of plays will be rushing plays with just enough passing to keep the opposing D honest. Oregon was able to move the ball and score handily in that game.

Of course, the D will have to step up to keep the game from going out of hand. But if the necessary tweaks are made to the offense if TT is starting, I'm confident the Ducks have a fighting chance to just pull out the win.

I hate to be a negative Nelly but I just don't see it happening.  TT just hasn't shown us anything that would inspire any sort of confidence in him competently managing the offense...if Nix doesn't play then there goes the Pac12 championship game for OBD.

On 11/18/2022 at 3:24 PM, kirklandduck said:

I hate to be a negative Nelly but I just don't see it happening.  TT just hasn't shown us anything that would inspire any sort of confidence in him competently managing the offense...if Nix doesn't play then there goes the Pac12 championship game for OBD.

Buck up Kirkland, Bo might play and if not, Ty might surprise the collegiate world.  O still has the best O-line in the nation, still has Bucky Irving, Noah Whittingham, Troy Franklin, Noah Sewell, Justin Flowe, Brandon Dorlus, etc., etc.  AND a slew of good, really good, TE's.  Ty won't be alone out there!

If it is Ty, we will know early in the first quarter. Without Nix? I don't see Ducks scoring more that 20. Going to take a lot more than that to get a win. 

Hope Fusky safety chokes on a grape! Crown of the helmet to Bo's legs. Lowered the head, shows intent. No laundry thrown. 

WT...

On 11/18/2022 at 4:26 PM, Mic said:

Buck up Kirkland, Bo might play and if not, Ty might surprise the collegiate world.  O still has the best O-line in the nation, still has Bucky Irving, Noah Whittingham, Troy Franklin, Noah Sewell, Justin Flowe, Brandon Dorlus, etc., etc.  AND a slew of good, really good, TE's.  Ty won't be alone out there!

True. But the best oline in the world won't help if we're one dimensional.

On 11/18/2022 at 6:26 PM, kirklandduck said:

True. But the best oline in the world won't help if we're one dimensional.

Understood.  But we don't know that Ty can't throw (or run!) the ball too.  

We haven't seen much from him yet, true, but this weekend we may get our first, really long, hard look at him and what he can do.  If Bo is out, then Ty's getting ALL the attention, coaching and preparation aimed straight at him. By the end of this game we should know a lot more about who Ty Thompson really is; future star ... or maybe something else.  Fingers crossed.  Don't lose faith, yet.