FishDuck Article

Utes Beware: This Is Not the 2021 Oregon Offense

As we prepare for the upcoming showdown between our Oregon Ducks and the Utah Utes at Autzen Stadium, let’s take some time to look at those dreaded 2021 beatings Oregon received. Though Oregon’s defense has left a lot to be desired this year and last year, Oregon’s offense was the real failure last year. This year is going to be ...

FISHDUCK.COM

As we prepare for the upcoming showdown between our Oregon Ducks and the Utah Utes at Autzen Stadium, let's take some time to look at...
  • Applause 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

2021 was a football year to forget. This fan was absolutely frustrated at MC's stubborness. Even the victories were gut wrenching and I am ashamed to say that i had lost interest in our Ducks......

The fun and joy was gone for this fan. After the first quarter of the first Utes game i turned the channel snd did not watch another Duck game until this year. The offensive Ferrarri that MC was given the keys to had turned into my Grandpas plow horse of the early 1950's.

Even though Georgia took us out back of the woodshed for a beating, the offense moved the ball. Sometimes with ease.

Unfortuneately, the moment was too big for OBD's, in all 3 phases of the game. However the offense was creative and different.

For the next 9 games the offense was fun to watch. The loss to Washinton was tragic. But for a few mistakes and lapses in judgement by the coaches, well we shoild have put 50 on those putrid dogs.

David, you are so right! The Utes will not be facing a one dimensional offense tonight. If Bo is even at 75% then the Utes will have their hands full.

If Bo can't play? The Utes will put 8 in the box and force Ty or Jay to beat them with their arms and legs. That's just part of football. At least this year the Ducks have Dilly's creative play calling. Just need a QB to execute those plays.......

GO DUCKS.........

• Applause 2

Fine article. My compliments. 

Pertinent comment also by Happy. 

Regarding the defense, I want to report some conclusions from Hythoday's analysis, if that is permitted:

1. Tavian Thomas is a load, but if anyone has the personnel match up with him, it if Oregon: Noah Sewell. 

2. Rising focuses on 2 or 3 receivers. 

Sorry, I hit a key inadvertently, and would like to complete the thought. 

Rising tends to throws to 2 or 3 receivers and neglects the others. 

Hence, if Gonzalez can lock down or control Vele, the main issue is dealing with their tight end and sometimes their pass receiving running back. 

Bassa's play will be critical. 

If our linebackers play well in run defense and pass coverage, the defense may have a pretty good day. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Once again, great writing David. You make some great points about our offense, Nix and whoever lines up at qb for Oregon. The prevent offense is no more!

Your last point about Utah changing their game plan was the most impactful. Last year we did no changing of the game plan, even after our first loss. This was just one more signal about how dull our previous coaching staff was. 

This year I look for both sides to have twists to take advantage of what the other side has brought in the past. The game planning might be the most important turn in the expected game many anticipate. 

We have seen the onside kick, what trick does Dan's team have for this game? Also the Utah staff is as shrewd as they come, what will their alteration be to their attack? This will be the game within the game I will be watching for.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:34 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

The fun and joy was gone for this fan

You were not alone in this. I’ll watch today’s game on tape later tonight or tomorrow. Not in the mood to watch a beat down if TT is QB. 

Per a source per ESPN...so, for what it's worth...

"Bo will be evaluated after warmups".

If he can warm up, he can play.

Just Do It

On 11/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, nw777b said:

"Bo will be evaluated after warmups".

If he can warm up, he can play.

Let's hope... because He's a big part of WHY the 2022 offense isn't the 2021 offense.

It'll be a shame if Utah catches Oregon minus Bo and/or Forsyth & Walk.  At 100% (offense) I'm not sure Utah could keep up with Oregon who would probably score in the 30's.  Not unless Cam Rising can duplicate Penix's outing which I doubt seriously.  College Game Day went 6-0 Utah.  Probably because of Nix and Utah's physical-type of play.  Doesn't mean they're right.

GO DUCKS!

On 11/19/2022 at 6:38 AM, Triphibius said:

Fine article. My compliments. 

Pertinent comment also by Happy. 

Regarding the defense, I want to report some conclusions from Hythoday's analysis, if that is permitted:

1. Tavian Thomas is a load, but if anyone has the personnel match up with him, it if Oregon: Noah Sewell. 

2. Rising focuses on 2 or 3 receivers. 

Our defense is absolutely suspect. Which is why I focused on the offensive side of things. 

Our defense might be getting Taki back today which might help sure up the interior a bit and maybe the secondary got the massive kick in the pants they need to actually communicate and cover guys. 

But our chances of winning this game don't rest on the defense but the offense.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:12 AM, David Marsh said:

our chances of winning this game don't rest on the defense but the offense

100% unless DLs comment about the defense being closer than we think isn't just PR.  The 7:30 kickoff isn't great for the offense either, they were practicing a bit more in the cold this week so let's hope that helps keep things in sync.

Maybe we'll see some cover-1 disguised as cover-2 with some more effective pass rush but that would be pretty surprising at this point and I just don't think we have the corners ready to pull it off.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:22 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

100% unless DLs comment about the defense being closer than we think isn't just PR.

I think they are close.... But that doesn't mean they are in sync with each other on the field.

It does feel like some times they are too busy worrying about others and not doing their own jobs. 

Let me restate my point. I think Oregon's defense matches up much better with Utah than Washington. This is based primarily on the belief that Noah Sewell can closer to matching Tavian Thomas's power than anyone the Utes will face. I also think that Gonzalez may be able to neutralize their top wideout, and Rising does not throw often to the others. 

Yes,  I am concerned about their tight end, but hopeful that Bassa will rise to the occasion, assuming that he has primary responsiblity. 

Regarding last week, two points. First, Washington had the number 1 passing offense in college football. No one was complaining when De Ruyter's defense gave up vast chunks of real estate to the OSU last year. Wasington was also good. 

Second, regardless of their struggles, the defense did make some stops in the red zone and get a takeaway. The game would have been won were it not for some bad officating, an errant snap by an outstanding player, and an injury. 

Sorry, that was old business, but I wanted to get it off my chest. 

Oregon won. 

Beyond that... I think the Utes went with the same game plan as last year. Pin their ears back and attack the run and cover the screen passes. 

It was almost good enough but Bo stretched the field on them a couple times. 

But most importantly... The defense stepped up and made some critical plays.