FishDuck Article

Oregon Football: Let’s Pump the Brakes on Trick Plays

There’s something special about executing a play that catches the opposing team completely off guard. The shock, coupled with the dazzling precision necessary to pull off a trick play, can be humiliating for an opponent and ignite a crowd. If you don’t pull it off? It’s just embarrassing. The No. 12 Oregon Ducks have been a mixed bag when it ...

FISHDUCK.COM

There's something special about executing a play that catches the opposing team completely off guard. The shock, coupled with the dazzling...
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Jordan, very timely article, very timely........Your intro paragraph sums up the very essence of a trick play.

The execution of a trick play should catch the opposing team off guard. Even if this play had been executed with " dazzling precision" the Utah defense was not caught off guard. The entire left side of the Utes D stayed home. Fundamentally sound football.

What did DL and Dilly expect the Utes would do with Ty in the game? Ty was not going to catch the Utes off guard with a long pass downfield. They new the play would be basic and simple. The well coached Utes just stayed home and protected the backside with precision. 

Jordan, you were right about the result being humiliating or embarrassing. The Duck coaches got both.

Of course hindsight has perfect vision. Its easy to second guess others mistakes. Coach Lanning and Dilly appear to have a little river boat gambler in them. From day one they told us all they want explosion plays. Well sometimes explosions backfire.

This play sure did. That's why its called gambling. I hope they continue to roll the dice........

Personally, the reward for the solid defense's opening series should not have been a scoop and score by the Utes. However, thats part of football!

Big win for our Ducks. Hats off to all the players and their efforts. Way to step up D. O Line great job protecting the warrior named Bo....

Now lets kick some Beaver tail.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Jordan for writing today's article.  It summed up the shock and frustration I was feeling watching that play.  Excellent points of observation.  Thank you!

Happy ToBeADuck, you're exactly correct:  "...the Utah defense was not caught off guard. The entire left side of the Utes D stayed home. Fundamentally sound football."

The Ducks are 8-2 and for the season they are playing exciting football.  The offense is unpredictable and prolific (compared to the Prevent O of the recent past).  The defense is improving.  They fix mistakes.

Overall the young coaches are doing a fantastic job.  I hope they are long time Oregon Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

Hats off to the players and coaches for a gritty win. 

That said, words can barely express my disapproval of that gadget play. 

The one thing you cannot do up 17-3 is make some bonehead play that lets the opponent get back in the game. 

Oregon looked like the better team at that point. If you are the better squad, trust your players and your scheme, and offer your opponent no gifts. This is not complicated. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3x against Utah, one tried twice.  All 3 bombed.  Quit getting cute.  Go get physical and dominate OSU

• Thumbs Up 2

One has to believe Ty practiced that play dozens of times. I just wonder how come game time he just can't get it right?

Repeatedly Ty runs a play Nix would have pulled off seamlessly. Ty as a Duck is baffling. 

That play call for a guy who really hasn't had one play work well this season was definitely a head scratcher. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Dilly is an offensive genius but I’d suggest a rule that a qb needs to able to get a first down before letting them try a trick play. 

The ratio of turn overs or lost yardage per TT play is mind boggling.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The trick plays aren't the problem.  It's the choice and ability of players to execute the plays that matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon's trick plays this season have lead to other teams spending a lot of practice time preparing for them. Every team has to prepare for an onside kick now.

On 11/20/2022 at 7:42 AM, JDuck said:

3x against Utah, one tried twice.  All 3 bombed.  Quit getting cute.  Go get physical and dominate OSU

Yes, trick plays worked against weaker teams such as CO and CAL. Against better teams, not so much--especially when backed up against your own end zone.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not going to suggest that Lanning is shaving points....

But playing Thompson is what it would look like if he was.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2022 at 2:00 AM, FishDuck Article said:

There’s something special about executing a play that catches the opposing team completely off guard. The shock, coupled with the dazzling precision necessary to pull off a trick play, can be humiliating for an opponent and ignite a crowd. If you don’t pull it off? It’s just embarrassing. The No. 12 Oregon Ducks have been a mixed bag when it ...

FISHDUCK.COM

There's something special about executing a play that catches the opposing team completely off guard. The shock, coupled with the dazzling...

I absolutely agree with this.  Enough, already.  

Our opponents are now looking for these and when the botched toss by Tye turned into a sudden TD (when Utah's offense had been stagnate) it very nearly ending up costing Oregon the win last night.  I can't stress how fortunate Oregon was to win that game against one of the conference's best teams with a lame Bo Nix last night.  Those types of plays need to be put back in the bottle, Kenny D, until such a time as O really and seriously needs one.

Any play, trickery or not, that involves TT should be put on the shelf. I am looking for TT to transfer out and open up room for others. 

The guy is a Bust. I know a lot of us have pulled hard for the kid. But TT hasn't shown he is a football player. Sadly, the guy can't play.

• Whew! 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:31 AM, McDuck said:

And that's been the case so far or this entire season.  As much as we like Lanning & staff, he has a LOT to learn about being a H.C. and winning games in this conference.  Last night we saw one area where he's learned a lesson - his taking the FG instead of going for it on 4th down in the 1st Qtr to put Oregon up by 14 (17-3).  That 3 pts ended up being the winning margin even tho it was the 2nd FG that won it in the end.

• Thumbs Up 2

"That was poor. It didn’t work out well, obviously. I’m glad that didn’t cost us the game, but great learning moment for me and our staff." DL

Glad to see that quote and I guess the coaches "medicine" this week wasn't as nasty tasting as last weeks.

I too was devastated with the botched flip/scoop and score.  I felt it was the wrong play, at the wrong time.  Follow that up with some  3 and outs or 4 and outs, while letting Utah run roughshod, made for a pretty lousy third quarter for OBD (and this fan).

However, I read the comments yesterday from the outgoing seniors, and the thing that struck me was how many of them said things like “football is fun again” or “this year was the most fun they have had playing football.”

I remember (50 years ago) trick plays being a blast to run, even when they bombed, but especially when they succeeded!

Maybe, just maybe, trick plays bring something to a team’s psyche, and they do have a place…

Either way, I don’t think I have the football chops to second guess either DL or KD.  IMHO they have earned the right to call whatever play or plays they see fit. 

Go Ducks, win the next three!

Edited by PittDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Thanks to Jordan for putting calmly into words what we were all screaming at high volume and with words our mothers would have found worthy of a full bar of Ivory soap. 

The location and timing of that "trick" play failed on so many levels, most of which were well stated in the FD article. I've watched it a few times on replay and the fault is not all TT's as Thornton got happy hands and was too close for a clean toss. But wrong idea, wrong situation, wrong execution and wrong personnel. That is on the coaches. 

After stopping Utah's critical 1st drive of the second half, all the momentum was in Oregon's favor. Autzen was buzzing and ready for the Ducks to respond with a score that would put the Utes down by 17. One play later the buzz was gone and Utah was back in the game. The shock lasted the entire 3rd quarter. Even "Shout" started off tepid until picking up a little steam when everyone sang "now waa-ii-tt a minute!".

The blunder may well have cost Oregon the game if the defense hadn't been as stiff as it was. Bo Nix as much said so post game. It was just so unnecessary given that the offense was already doing it's thing even with Bo less than 100%.

It's time to retire most of the tricky gadget stuff as Oregon has found that you can live, and die by it. Especially when the opponent is well coached and sound fundamentally.  By all means, run the J-14 jumbo package (which I don't recall seeing at all last night) which has been largely utilized at the right times with the right personnel. But please, no more high wire acts without a safety net. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2022 at 7:27 AM, Triphibius said:

Hats off to the players and coaches for a gritty win. 

That said, words can barely express my disapproval of that gadget play. 

The one thing you cannot do up 17-3 is make some bonehead play that lets the opponent get back in the game. 

Oregon looked like the better team at that point. If you are the better squad, trust your players and your scheme, and offer your opponent no gifts. This is not complicated. 

That play was a head scratcher. And incredibly risky, especially with snake bitten Ty in the game. All he had to do was hand the ball off and instead, it appeared to me, he did a 6 inch lateral instead.

Was Ty in the game because, had Nix been in there, it would have been obvious, on that specific play, he would hand the ball off?

And what a time to be cute……with your backs to your end zone.

Some of you guys blamed the player(Ty) for trick plays execution, give me a break, Its just the worse play in the worst situation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2022 at 10:15 AM, VegasDuck said:

Some of you guys blamed the player(Ty) for trick plays execution, give me a break, Its just the worse play in the worst situation. 

Play didn't work = bad call.  Play works = great call!   But go back and watch the play again, it was a poor time to try it and an even poorer execution. What was Lanning thinking?  Did he expect Utah to expect TT to throw the ball when he hadn't been all season, or at least not in a game where the outcome wasn't already decided? Whittingham's not that silly. 

I like TT he's a great kid but the pressure at Oregon seams to have gotten to him and he seems unable to perform at a high level.

Some time a change of scenery can calm the nerves, just look at Nick's this year. Personally I would be very happy if he transferred to Montana State as that's my other college football team with a long history of transfers between the two programs.

He's got the talent and athleticism just needs to get the nerves under control.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:15 AM, VegasDuck said:

Blaming Ty? The coaches made the call. It's on the staff 100%. Ty hasn't shown he has what it takes to play at a high level. He might be able to help the 2-7 Raiders though.

• Thumbs Up 2

The "trick" play of the game was Cam McCormick's amazing tackle that prevented a pick six.

• Applause 2
  • Like 1

"Trick" plays are just football plays and most plays have an appropriate situation.  We call them trick plays because they look so completely different from a standard offensive scheme... Lineman and QB's catching passes, hiding the play with misdirection or catching the defense off guard by looking like your getting a play sent in. 

MOST trick plays are designed to take advantage of defenses over correcting or playing undisciplined football.  I agree with the frustration expressed in the article as the past two games have caught Oregon's offense getting too cute in bad situations.  In general I think this is a significant area of growth for the coaches of situational analysis.

Utah is an extremely well coached football team so trick plays designed to confuse their defense or take advantage of over pursuit were jus very low probability of success plays so they were situationally bad calls.  Maybe KD thought Utah's emotional performance was going to compromise their performance but that's just not what the reality on the field was.

Trick plays work well against Colorado as they are struggling to execute their game plan and that makes them vulnerable to such plays.  Trick plays are generally a bad idea in really big games against quality opponents unless you know their is a high percentage habit that you are confidant they will bite on.  Utah has no such habits.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, Mic said:

Play didn't work = bad call.  Play works = great call!   But go back and watch the play again, it was a poor time to try it and an even poorer execution. What was Lanning thinking?  Did he expect Utah to expect TT to throw the ball when he hadn't been all season, or at least not in a game where the outcome wasn't already decided? Whittingham's not that silly. 

The kid has never started and we know hasn't had much coaching before this season on the collegiate level. But they bring him in cold with dumb play calling in high pressure situations. 

Thompson did not botch the toss.  Thornton failed to catch it.  The trick play was too much for Thornton, not Thompson.

nonetheless…..good things don’t seem to happen when Thompson is in.  Must be very frustrating for him.  I hope the “snakebite” leaves him……soon!

What made the plays against Colorado so effective was because I'd argue they weren't really trick plays... Well the Irving pass to Nix was a trick play....

But the Touchdown to Conerly and the Sewell touchdown were both wrinkles to an already established scheme. Nothing too crazy was going on with those ... And both actually came out of the 14-J formation.... We haven't seen that formation of personel since Colorado. I suspect due to some injuries. 

Then going into the two point conversion stuff from the Kelly era... It worked so well because it was aggressive and new. It forced teams to practice it and line up correctly to counter it. 

When Helfrich took over it wasn't new anymore and most teams knew how to counter it. 

I crindged this last game when they tried to get cute with trick plays. There just needed to run their standard offense as the tricks usually set Oregon behind the sticks. Without a mobile Nix Oregon couldn't afford to be behind schedule. 

• Thumbs Up 2