Ktmguy2018

I Learned Some Things

I am just now going back through the game...yep, I like to watch 'em twice.  Well, the wins anyway!!  I had some "thoughts on the obscure" and wanted to run them by the collective.  

A.  We are seeing Dan Lanning learn and grow before our eyes.  He is taking responsibility for mistakes, addressing shortcomings, and the results are visible.  There are more steps to make in his maturation as a head coach but we get to observe growth as it happens. 

It tells me a lot when a coach says "100% on me" and NOT this crap:

"Well, I think physically we have to get more physical so that our physicality is physically too much physicalness for the other team to handle physically" and y'all know who I'm talking about.

B.  Dante Thornton is a phenomenal athlete and receiver with tremendous body control.  His adjustment at full speed to Bo's throw to the sideline in the 4th quarter was incredible.  With Franklin a little dinged up, Thornton became Bo's big-play guy and Dante had some great catches.  Still some work to do in crisping up his routes but he is a good one!

C.  Cam McCormick saved the game.  The athleticism of his tackle on the DB who picked Bo was astounding.  He singlehandedly saved a pick six and that was NOT an easy play.  Cam was going for the catch and adjusted his body as he was falling to grab the DB.  Amazing play.

D.  I am going to miss Bo.  To see his fire, his passion, his toughness worn on his sleeve last night was fantastic.  

E.  The Civil War (yeah, I still call it that) MEANS something.  OSU has quietly amassed an 8-3 record and this is HUGE!  Love that it comes down to this.

Thoughts?

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Thornton needs to be better with the ball. He put it on the ground twice last night. Granted, the second time was on the stupid reverse and Thompson shares the responsibility for that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2022 at 6:42 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I am just now going back through the game...yep, I like to watch 'em twice.  Well, the wins anyway!!  I had some "thoughts on the obscure" and wanted to run them by the collective.  

A.  We are seeing Dan Lanning learn and grow before our eyes.  He is taking responsibility for mistakes, addressing shortcomings, and the results are visible.  There are more steps to make in his maturation as a head coach but we get to observe growth as it happens. 

It tells me a lot when a coach says "100% on me" and NOT this crap:

"Well, I think physically we have to get more physical so that our physicality is physically too much physicalness for the other team to handle physically" and y'all know who I'm talking about. He can stay as long as he wants, end of story

B.  Dante Thornton is a phenomenal athlete and receiver with tremendous body control.  His adjustment at full speed to Bo's throw to the sideline in the 4th quarter was incredible.  With Franklin a little dinged up, Thornton became Bo's big-play guy and Dante had some great catches.  Still some work to do in crisping up his routes but he is a good one! Thornton is a freak athlete, and the receiver room is going to be stacked going forward.

C.  Cam McCormick saved the game.  The athleticism of his tackle on the DB who picked Bo was astounding.  He singlehandedly saved a pick six and that was NOT an easy play.  Cam was going for the catch and adjusted his body as he was falling to grab the DB.  Amazing play. Truly and amazing young man who deserves a shot at the next level, massive heart player!

D.  I am going to miss Bo.  To see his fire, his passion, his toughness worn on his sleeve last night was fantastic.  So glad he was able to resurrect his career at Oregon. Bo is the real deal and deserves to go to New York!

E.  The Civil War (yeah, I still call it that) MEANS something.  OSU has quietly amassed an 8-3 record and this is HUGE!  Love that it comes down to this. This is going to be a massive game, but every game going forward is going to be huge! This game is THE GAME for the beavs, and we better realize how big the bullseye will be on the Duck jersey.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cam’s game saving tackle in the late INT was the play of the game in my opinion. Yes outstanding athleticism on that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thorntons adjustments at full speed to catch that ball was the best catch I have seen all year. Dudes 6'5", what athleticism. He is going to be special next season.

To Bad Nix threw the pick on the next play. Kinda took the sizzle out of DT's catch. 

Oregon has a ton of grit. They showed it against Cougs and again here v. Utes. Super proud of this team. This Utes game will be talked about for decades. Nix will forever be a Duck great. Tough as nails.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

B.  Dante Thornton is a phenomenal athlete and receiver with tremendous body control.  His adjustment at full speed to Bo's throw to the sideline in the 4th quarter was incredible.  With Franklin a little dinged up, Thornton became Bo's big-play guy and Dante had some great catches.  Still some work to do in crisping up his routes but he is a good one!

Thornton reminds me of where Kris Hutson was last year in terms of development. Lots of potential but took him time to put it all together. 

Also I yelled at Kris Hutson through the TV last year to stop fighting for extra yards (when securing an already big catch) and just go down. He got the ball knocked out of him a few times and it became a turnover. 

Thornton is learning the same lesson. It's better to just go down and take the yards (or in some cases negative yards) than to continue to fight and make things worse. 

But I agree... I love how Thornton is emerging as the guy we all believed he could be. 

KTMguy2018 (great handle) I too watched the game twice. I agree with all your assessments.

Thornton was the only player who seemed to be able to make adjustments on that cold/slick turf.

Cam proved how much being a Duck means to him with that effort.

Bo solidified his place in Oregon history. So grateful he chose Eugene for his final year.

I was also very pleased with the entire defensive effort. Huge step forward.