Ktmguy2018

Why Is This Allowed?!

Moving off the Ducks victory for one second, and with all the venom caps lock can convey:

HOW THE #$&@ IS THIS ALLOWED?? 

In November, when other power 5 schools are slugging each other in the face, Alabama plays Austin Peay??  A university with an enrollment of just over 11,000 students.  I hope the committee penalizes Alabama for this crap.

Screenshot_20221120-081606.png

The SEC has spent years beating up the Sisters of the Poor in mid-November,  Really not a bad strategy.  They play their final few games rested and somewhat healthy while, for example, the Pac-12 championship game will probably showcase two teams who are physically and emotionally tired.  

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 8:20 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Moving off the Ducks victory for one second, and with all the venom caps lock can convey:

HOW THE #$&@ IS THIS ALLOWED?? 

In November, when other power 5 schools are slugging each other in the face, Alabama plays Austin Peay??  A university with an enrollment of just over 11,000 students.  I hope the committee penalizes Alabama for this crap.

Screenshot_20221120-081606.png

This has been going on for a lot of years, in case you didn't notice it.  Alabama schedules these schools (like we do with Eastern Washington) for similar reasons but they do it at the end of the season to allow their tam to heal up AND put a smack down on the board for the committees voting.  

I don't know how much affect it has on the committee but it does take all pressure off the team at the crucial point when most teams like Oregon are battling injuries and struggling to win their toughest games.  Nicky Saban's no fool.  And the CFB Playoff Committee seems to care less about it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It’s kind of like being lucky enough to catch Colorado late in the year. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This has been a forever SEC thing. Other games yesterday?

Missouri vs. New Mexico State

Auburn vs. Western Kentucky

Texas A&M vs. Massachusetts

MIssissippi State vs. East Tennessee

LSU vs. UAB

SEC teams get to give the first team players a break, develop the younger players, and avoid injuries.

If it's good for the SEC, it's good for America!

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2022 at 8:44 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

No, not at all.  Colorado is a legit Conference opponent and one that just happens to be down right now.  Austin Peay is a patsy not anywhere near the level of a school like Colorado most years.  It's blatant, all right.  But it's also smart - for as long as polling committees continue to not punish Alabama for it.  It stinks to high heaven, if you ask me.  

On 11/20/2022 at 8:45 AM, jrw said:

This has been a forever SEC thing. Other games yesterday?

Missouri vs. New Mexico State

Auburn vs. Western Kentucky

Texas A&M vs. Massachusetts

MIssissippi State vs. East Tennessee

LSU vs. UAB

SEC teams get to give the first team players a break, develop the younger players, and avoid injuries.

If it's good for the SEC, it's good for America!

You've got it jrw.  The SEC does this intentionally.  I mean, wouldn't you if your team could get away with it?   I'll bet a-dollar-to-a-donut Tennessee wishes they had scheduled one instead of South Carolina right about now too!

• Thumbs Up 3

Alabama used to play The Citadel near the end of the season every year. So not much has changed.

On 11/20/2022 at 9:12 AM, Annie said:

Alabama used to play The Citadel near the end of the season every year. So not much has changed.

They may be running out of willing opponents - opponents who are tired of taking a beating in front of a national audience just for a nice "pay-day".  At least I hope so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately, it's not just an SEC problem. Did you get a load of the JV program Clemson played yesterday?

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 3

On 11/20/2022 at 9:23 AM, Vanducky said:

Unfortunately, it's not just an SEC problem. Did you get a load of the JV program Clemson played yesterday?

Ouch! 😀

• Mic drop 1

The benefits of an 8 game schedule allow schools to schedule an extra patsy. Or play a power 5 school. The SEC has convinced the football world that playing their conferences foes is tough enough. The CFP Committee has bought into that concept. Fair enough.

As the PAC moves to an 8 game conference schedule, in the near future, they will face the same option. Schedule a patsy game that no Network will pay top dollar for or schedule a solid power 5 school and maybe lose.

I am certain Portland State would love a couple of million dollar pay days against the Ducks and Beavs. PSU would make much needed revenue. But the Ducks and Beavs might lose money on that game. Only the PAC Network would cover the game and they don't pay that much.

Will be interesting to see how GK gets those games scheduled when it gets to that point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember, St. Saban:

1) Called for outlawing hurry-up offenses for player safety . . . until he got the players and coaches to use it.

2) Is calling for a 9 game league schedule  . . . that can't be implemented until after he retires due to current scheduling.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

As others have said, the SEC does this so they can have 8 league games and reduce the risk of a top team taking a loss in conference play.  

I would like to see some criteria for future selection (even in 12 team playoff) that says leagues with 8 conference games will be penalized relative to those w/9 as the latter involves more risk. 

The SEC will claim their 8 game set up is equivalent to 10 conference games anywhere else and since it’s the SEC that employs this practice there will be zero consequences for doing so.  

That said, I do hope SoS has a much higher weight going forward.  

For example, some Athletic writer was saying it’s unfair for Michigan to be punished for scheduling decisions made years ago.  This take is wrong for the simple fact Michigan’s AD had total knowledge at the time those games were scheduled that SoS was a decision factor for the CFP.  They consciously took the risk.  So what would be unfair is to not saddle them with the consequences of a decision the AD had full knowledge could work against them

All the inherent differences, league to league, make a national playoff system inherently unequal.  

9-game conference opponents vs 8-game conference opponents, 12 team conferences vs. 14, 16 or whatever team conferences. Early season O.O.C. opponents vs late season O.O.C. opponents.  Teams in conferences vs teams as Independents, etc. etc. 

Until the NCAA & CFB gets things standardized and equal there will never be true fairness (imo) to this whole CFB Playoff system.  It's just the way things are right now and there are certain teams (we all know who they are) who want the status quo to remain for as long as they can manage to keep it that way. I guess I can't blame them - but it's not fair.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why does the Pac-12 continue to allow themselves to be at a disadvantage by sticking by our 9 game conference schedule?

If we really want to create change we should go to a 7 game conference schedule and see how the SEC reacts. Bottomline we should stop complaining about something we aren't doing anything about.

Maybe bring New Mexico State into the Pac with the understanding all they can do is play Pac teams. Now that would throw a wrench into the SEC scheduling.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2022 at 11:10 AM, Haywarduck said:

Why does the Pac-12 continue to allow themselves to be at a disadvantage by sticking by our 9 game conference schedule?

I'm guessing it's $$.  

Right now, the SEC and the Big 10 (or whatever it's called) command the most $.  That's why USC & UCLA have been lured into that mess and out of their historical membership in the Pacific Athletic Conference.  And it's a dirty, rotten shame.  It's the 'haves' and the 'have-nots' as it always is, I guess.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:16 AM, Mic said:

I'm guessing it's $$.  

Right now, the SEC and the Big 10 (or whatever it's called) command the most $.  That's why USC & UCLA have been lured into that mess and out of their historical membership in the Pacific Athletic Conference.  And it's a dirty, rotten shame.  It's the 'haves' and the 'have-nots' as it always is, I guess.

No words

images.jpeg

On 11/20/2022 at 8:44 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

But Colorado isn't always reliably this bad. Even Arizona managed to bite UCLA last week. 

The sad truth of it is that the committee doesn't truly care about strength of schedule only winning out. TCU hasn't had that tough of a schedule but they're undefeated and basically in. 

USC has played two ranked teams all year and neither was a top ten... They went 1-1 against them. 

Need the Ducks to get heathy and win the conference at this point to block USC from getting the playoff bid... Yes I am that petty. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see that Alabama has the juggernaut University of Phoenix Online scheduled at some point.

On 11/20/2022 at 9:23 AM, Vanducky said:

Ouch!