Southwest Duck

Oregon's Path to the Playoffs Is Not Far Fetched

A two loss pac-12 champ, Oregon, could still make the CFP.  Here's the only help they would need:

LSU to lose to Georgia  

Clemson to lose to either UNC or South Carolina 

That's it and we are in, I believe. 

The rankings would be

1) Georgia

2) Ohio St or Michigan

3) TCU

The 4th spot would be a debate between A one loss non champ Ohio St or Michigan.  A two loss non champ Alabama. And our Ducks a two loss Pac 12 champion.  With the strength of the Pac 12 this season the Ducks will win this debate. 

Wins over ranked opponents

Michigan 2

Ohio St 3

Alabama 2

Oregon 4 

This projection doesn't even take into account That TCU could lose to Kansas ST in the Big 12 title which would open up another spot!  Keep the hope alive DUCK fans and get healthy NIX!!  

• Wow 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:18 AM, Southwest Duck said:

A two loss pac-12 champ, Oregon, could still make the CFP.  Here's the only help they would need:

LSU to lose to Georgia  

Clemson to lose to either UNC or South Carolina 

That's it and we are in, I believe. 

The rankings would be

1) Georgia

2) Ohio St or Michigan

3) TCU

The 4th spot would be a debate between A one loss non champ Ohio St or Michigan.  A two loss non champ Alabama. And our Ducks a two loss Pac 12 champion.  With the strength of the Pac 12 this season the Ducks will win this debate. 

Wins over ranked opponents

Michigan 2

Ohio St 3

Alabama 2

Oregon 4 

This projection doesn't even take into account That TCU could lose to Kansas ST in the Big 12 title which would open up another spot!  Keep the hope alive DUCK fans and get healthy NIX!!  

Southwest Duck I love your assessment! 

If we can have two great performances in the next two games, who knows what might happen? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Would we have to root for fuskies over Cougs in a he Apple Cup? Yuck yuck yuck! I’d do it I guess but yuck!

Wow! Thats needing the ball to bounce in the right direction a ton. But hey, I will bang that drum. Go Ducks!

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:18 AM, Southwest Duck said:

Not sure of your contention here BUT, I won't rule it out either.  As far as TCU losing to K-State, now ... there's a real possibility.  TCU has been dodging bullets all year and it could come down to haunt them finally.  I also believe (in my conspiring little heart) that the CFB Playoff Committee is looking for (praying for!) some excuse, ANY excuse, to rule TCU out.  And K-State right now is playing good defense having smoked Baylor and very nearly beating Texas.

We just need to be successful one game at a time. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:31 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Would we have to root for fuskies over Cougs in a he Apple Cup? Yuck yuck yuck! I’d do it I guess but yuck!

Not if Oregon could win out.  O has only one loss in conference.  Fuskies have two.  I'd still root for the Cougs to beat them just because.

Didn't/don't see that coming.  Hope you are right, but I worry about a one loss BIG runner up.

If it is Michigan, I think their loss to osu would still have them a few spots ahead of us with no games to play.  Same with 'Bama whose only losses were 3 pts to Tenn on the road and OT at LSU.

Well I had already resigned myself to the fact that we were out of the CFP invitational.

For the sake of discussion, if all the miracles needed were performed, I agree that the Ducks could maybe receive consideration.

uscsuck must beat ND. The higher they are ranked the better. Consider this that while Bama, LSU, etc. were playing weaker opponents this last weekend, the injured Ducks beat a top 10 team. I know the CFP Committee is SEC biased but thats a big win. Should count for something.

Also while OBD's are battling a Top 4 USC team for the PAC Title, Bama and the tOSU/Michigan loser will be sitting at home. (They will not have a Conference Title on their resume). If uscsuck wins out they are in the CFP. When/if Oregon beats uscsuck they will leap those teams sitting at home on Championship weekend.

But I support 1Ducker1.....one game at a time.... Beavs are as tough an out as anyone on their home turf.

Nothing matters for the Ducks except 3 things

● Get healthy

● Defense bring it again

● Beat the Beavs 

Go Ducks..........

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

IF Oregon wins out, then they only need two of these 3 teams to lose a game.  I believe all 3 will lose which makes it even more likely we get in.

LSU lose to Texas A&M or Georgia.  (Very Likely)

TCU lose to Iowa St or Kansas ST (coin flip)

Clemson lose to South Carolina Or North Carolina (Likely, South Carolina looked great against Tennessee )

On 11/20/2022 at 5:18 PM, Southwest Duck said:

I wish I could believe this could happen.  I definitely could see UGA beating LSU and Clemson losing.  BUT...

...given the lack of respect the Pac-12 gets (and has deserved in recent years), I have to believe a 1-loss B1G team goes even if they don't make the title game.  Or, if it's an absolute beat-down in the B1G, that a 2-loss Bama team goes.  And if TCU has one loss, they still might also go over the Ducks.  That 49-3 score will loom very large, as will the Pac-12's recent weakness and east coast bias.  I think not only would all these things need to happen, but by BIG margins - Ducks swamp OSU and USC by 30, Michigan and Clemson lose huge, etc.  If tOSU beats Michigan 24 - 20, I don't see Big Blue losing its grip on #4.

Remember, the committee isn't just voting in what they truly feel are the top 4 teams.  They want a SHOW.  They want ratings.  I doubt the committee really wants a UGA/Oregon rematch, and the only way the Ducks get in is as the 4th seed.

Pure logic says the Ducks would have a shot under the circumstances you described, but I doubt the committee will choose based on pure logic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I see a one loss Ohio St-Michigan getting in over the Ducks, unless the loser of their game gets blown out. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wina at OSEwe (By any margin), then spank the toe-jammed in the CCG... At that point, let the chips fall where they may.

If USC sneaks into the playoffs, I may recycle everything I've consumed in the previous week.

The carpet would look bad with spoiled children colors everywhere... Forget the smell!

Vegas agrees

Oregon is one of only 8 teams listed, still with a chance, to win the Natty!

image.png.23054914f493b64234269c6c00acded9.png