Mic

Focusing Forward. One More Big One Left to Go.

Ah... it's Civil War time.  Pardon me, 'Rivalry Game'.  I can't help but think the name change to 'rivalry' diminishes things - all for a silly political purpose that almost no one likes or understands.  Rivalry is what we call the UW game.  Civil War is what we should be allowed to call the OSU game.

Be that what it may - this one, this year, is going to be a real doozy (as if they aren't always anyway).  And with Bo Nix nicked it's going to be a bigger dog-fight than it already was going to be.  The Beavs smell blood in the water and they have some real sharks circling about.  I'll let those with more football smarts weigh-in on this one the about X's & O's, schemes and strategies.  I just know it's not going to be anything less than a brutal fist-fight next Saturday.  12:30 PT.

What say you guys on how this game is likely to shape up or shake down?

• Thumbs Up 1

An immobile Nix creates issues. The mud rats defense is solid and it will take a solid performance from our RBs and receivers to keep them off balance. 

If our defense can get to their QB, then I think the Ducks will prevail. Then they need to get healthier before the PAC 12 championship. 

The Duck D giving up only 10 points to Utah I’m sure has them concerned. Twenty something points should be enough to win it.

We could definitely see another 20-17 type score against the Beav. And that score could go either way.

The Beavs throttled down the high scoring Trojans. (A game the Beavs let get away.) The Beavs and the elements throttled down the dogs. I expect nothing less out of the Beavs this Saturday.

If Bo is still slowed with injury then the Ducks D will have to produce another Defensive gem.  When the Ducks stop the Beavers run game then the Beavs will have to pass. The Beavs do not have a Penix, Rising or Williams that they can trot out onto the field to lead them.

The Beavs QB's have made a lot of mistakes when pressured. Stop the run and pressure the QB's into mistakes and the Ducks can win this game.

PS Oregon Coaches

■ Make sure to not make too

many judgement calls that give

the Beavs any extra points or

possessions! Please.........

■ Get Bo and all those injured

players lots of treatment this

week. They all left it on the

field yesterday.

I'm certainly not a great defensive mind by any stretch but I have to think that Jonathan Smith, having been a rather successful QB himself, will know how to put the right pressure on Nix to aggravate his injury.  Where to rush from to force him to move out of the pocket and how. 

Who would know better than a former QB?  I hope Nix is a little better next Saturday then he was last night.

If the D can go ahead and score a pick 6 and get a turnover in field goal range that would be great.  Could be the only points needed to win this game.

The few games I've watched the Beavs O looked pretty bad and there D looked like the best in the PAC. Time to get those punters legs warmed up this game's going to be all about field position.

Championship game and then the bowl game, they will all be big. The beav game will set us up to keep the big ones coming, agree.

In a weird way I am ok with losing to the dawgs, and then keeping them out of the championship game with a defeat of the beavs. They can keep their delusional greatness while spending time at home. I still wouldn't mind seeing the dawgs lose to the cougs, but it is couging it season.

Too many "ifs" right now: if Nix is more mobile, if Forsyth is back, if last night's defense shows up again...it's going to be difficult for sure, but just how difficult may be a game-time decision.

On 11/20/2022 at 5:08 PM, Haywarduck said:

Championship game and then the bowl game, they will all be big. The beav game will set us up to keep the big ones coming, agree.

In a weird way I am ok with losing to the dawgs, and then keeping them out of the championship game with a defeat of the beavs. They can keep their delusional greatness while spending time at home. I still wouldn't mind seeing the dawgs lose to the cougs, but it is couging it season.

I know what you mean about the Championship game & then the bowl, but this team has to focus one game at a time, just like Lanning stresses.  One game at a time - or else there is no Championship game for Oregon.  OSU will be ready, cocked and locked for this one.  They always are.  The more there is on the line for Oregon the more they're motivated which is what rivalries are all about.  GO DUCKS!

On 11/20/2022 at 12:18 PM, Drake said:

If our defense can get to their QB, then I think the Ducks will prevail. Then they need to get healthier before the PAC 12 championship. 

This is something our defense hasn't been doing enough of this entire year.  They did, finally, get a little more pressure on Rising Saturday, but either the defensive scheme Lupoi has doesn't stress QB sacks or O lacks the types of players who can get it done  I just don't know.  I agree with you, we need more and Gulbranson needs to find himself laying on the turf or running for his life.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:46 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The Duck D giving up only 10 points to Utah I’m sure has them concerned. Twenty something points should be enough to win it.

Concerned? Probably more like curious.  Right now the Beavers (after coming off their 31 points against ASU) are probably feeling like World-beaters.  You can see the confidence building in this team - this is the best they've looked and played in years.  With Bo hurt and Forsyth out they'll probably be expecting to win not just compete in this game.

On 11/20/2022 at 1:09 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

We could definitely see another 20-17 type score against the Beav. And that score could go either way.

The Beavs QB's have made a lot of mistakes when pressured. Stop the run and pressure the QB's into mistakes and the Ducks can win this game.

This is kinda what I think too - it will be a lower scoring game than Oregon's been used to because the Beavs do have one of the best D's in the conference.  

I'm hearing 60% for Bo's condition.  You can certainly tell he's hurting on that leg and one worries about him if he gets hit in the pocket. If the Beavs can knock him out (and you know they'll be trying from the first snap) they feel the game is theirs.  Our backups haven't shown our opponents any reason to be concerned they can run the offense.  But ... the same goes for their QB.  Do they have an adequate backup that can run their offense too?

On 11/20/2022 at 5:25 PM, jrw said:

Too many "ifs" right now: if Nix is more mobile, if Forsyth is back, if last night's defense shows up again...it's going to be difficult for sure, but just how difficult may be a game-time decision.

I'm afraid Nix won't be much more (if any) mobile and it doesn't look like Alex will be back either.  But I still think that if Oregon can beat Utah they can beat OSU.  No more giveaways like that ill-advised trick play run by Thompson (not blaming him - it was a poor call at a poor time in a poor location on the field).

I know this shouldn't matter but UT throttled OrSt 42-16 at UT. I can see the home field being an advantage for any team is legit, but 42-16 is a whooping.

Beavs play tougher at home and it is the CW game so who knows how it will turn out but the UT/OrSt game should be looked at as a model for victory.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

I know this shouldn't matter but UT throttled OrSt 42-16 at UT. I can see the home field being an advantage for any team is legit, but 42-16 is a whooping.

Beavs play tougher at home and it is the CW game so who knows how it will turn out but the UT/OrSt game should be looked at as a model for victory.

Utah plays great at home, and clearly had an off-day in Autzen.  Plus...it is hard to get "up" for a team that you plastered last season....twice.  I've watched OSU, and they are for real and could beat us, IMHO.

Mr. FishDuck