Cockroach

Ducks Football Coaches

I really admire our coaches. Cristobal’s team would’ve never beat Utah. However about the time I think they’re tremendous; they do something borderline stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn’t call it borderline stupid, but putting Ty in at the beginning of the third quarter, and having him run the trick play they had him run had me scratching my head. That fumble, scoop, and score killed Oregon’s offensive momentum for the rest of the third quarter.

Clearly, when considering what could go wrong by putting Ty in, the answer is a lot. One could argue that the fumble wasn’t Ty’s fault, but getting hand offs and tosses from him seems to be a lot more complicated than it should be. I don’t get it, but it is what it is.

It'd be easy to put the blame on Ty Thompson for that play but honestly, I can't think of a worse play call for a cold QB with little Big Game experience down inside his opponent's Red zone.  I don't put that one on Ty, the hand-off (or whatever it was) wasn't his fault.  It was a play with too little upside gain for the huge downside potential.  I doubt Oregon fans will ever see anything like that again in the "Lanning Era".