FishDuck Article

Talk About an Ugly Win

Or should this be called "a win with a great personality"?  Sometimes ugly is beautiful...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com will take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day of the week. Especially against the Utah Utes.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Bo Nix left a mark on Oregon football Saturday night. The toughness at the QB position from Nix will be legendary.  Every Duck and Tiger fan should be proud.

No matter what happens in Cornburg this friday, Dan Lanning has done a spectacular job his first year. Says a lot concerning the loss to Fusky last Saturday. 

The future looks good for Lannings Ducks. Ugly or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

Darren that victory against the Utes certainly can fall into the "ugly win" category. With the optimum word in that category "win".........

No amount of words can properly define Bo's performance and effort. He inspired and led the team. That O Line protected a immobile, stationary target for most of the game. And did it against Utah. They did it in the trenches in ugly fashion.

The receivers got open quickly in the first half and helped keep the Utes off balance. Hats off to Utahs half time adjustments. They shrunk the Duck offense to nearly zero in the 2nd half. The game got even more ugly.

Thankfully the Duck defensive unit finally showed up. They manhandled the Utah O Line. Stuffed runs at or behind the line of scrimmage. They bent but only allowed the Utes one TD. As a fan, well i didnt see that coming!

Ducks D, well done, your performance was a thing of beauty. Play beautiful in an ugly, nasty way against the rodents this Saturday. Tackles for losses, tipped balls for interceptions and bone jarring tackles are a thing of beauty.

GO DUCKS! It will take another A+ effort to beat the rodents........

Ugly....interesting word, and yet, I can live with that. I'm leaning more towards 'Soul Searching' on this one. Oregon is missing key offensive linemen, a less than 100%(maybe 70%) QB, and the Defensive unit found it's Soul. Quite frankly, Oregon's offense did just about what one would expect against such an incredible defense. 

I'm reminded by where we are at in the season. Game 11, everyone is banged up across all of CFB. It's frigid and its to be expected that with an excellent opposing team having 10 games of film and keying on Oregon's Identity (the run), that this game should look abnormal in the box score. It did. In hindsite Oregon played just about how they should have. Aside from the cute play that cost Oregon some points, I am happy with our offense. The turnovers were painful though. It's tough to watch a dynamic offense be hobbled by fumbles and an INT. Thats got to be at least a 14 point swing one would think. 

However, I just want to ask, where in the world has 'That' defense been all year. They took Utah and put the Arizona(state) team in those Uni's. Completely changed their team. 

I suspect Oregon is going with Bo until Bo can't Go No Mo. The Defensive Monster has awoke. It's not mature for sure, but it has made an important step. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Agree it was an ugly win, but we did learn a few things, hopefully.

Number one, Thornton is a lethal weapon, who needs to work on his hands this offseason. The guy gets separation extremely easily, but I am still waiting for him to cleanly catch a ball. His juggling catches could actually be lethal with some sure handedness. He also needs to work on how he carries the ball, fumbles kill momentum, and he is a fumble waiting to happen.

We also learned that trick plays are like magic. I should say trick plays should be like magic. Magic leaves you wondering how they made that happen. You want more, and with the most recent magic trick we have realized the limits of our magician. I hope Dan also realizes his limits. We don't need another bad magic act.

We also learned late season rankings mean something, and early season rankings not so much. When you play a #3 Georgia, they could actually be a #1 juggernaut. Also when you play a #12 BYU you might just be playing a team which barely beats Utah Tech at home later in the season. This weekend we play a team who deserved to be ranked all season, at home. We had better take them seriously, they deserve to be ranked even higher, and want to be.

Lastly we learned our cool, cold blooded, brilliant coach can show some fire. Seeing Lanning fire up our defense is something I was happy to see. In the future I want to see more of that fire, and less of the magic act. At least work on the act a bit more before bringing it out to show the crowd, and at a better time, timing is everything.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bo knows..

how to put lipstick on a pig!

Credit the Defense.

On 11/21/2022 at 5:01 AM, Log Haulin said:

I agree with everything but am worried about next year.

If the Duck QB next year is not great, it might be more exciting to watch the Ducks at Alton Baker park.

• Thumbs Up 1

No matter what happens in Cornburg this friday, Dan Lanning has done a spectacular job his first year. Says a lot concerning the loss to Fusky last Saturday. 

Remember all the speculation on the board a number of weeks back when a bunch of us were guessing on 'grades' for Lanning?  How he needed this many wins or that many wins to get to a B or an A or an A+ or ... ?

He's got an A+ in my books and there's not much more he can do to change that.  The only "knocks" on him I can possibly imagine would be his occasional calls (like that disaster Saturday near the goal line) and a legitimate concern by many of the lack of prep for the backups at QB.  But that's also speculation and puzzlement.  When you consider this is his 1st gig as a H.C. he's done amazing well by any standard, imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know...I found the Utah game very satisfying. I think because it fit some great story lines: Willis Reed Bo Nix takes the field hurt and rallies the lads to a win, the team bounces back with a vengeance after the Washington debacle, the defense discovers some juice, both teams played hard (to quote Rasheed Wallace). I liked it.

On 11/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Mic said:

The only "knocks" on him I can possibly imagine would be his occasional calls (like that disaster Saturday near the goal line) and a legitimate concern by many of the lack of prep for the backups at QB.  

The reality is that we all could look back on the careers of Nick Saban, Joe Paterno, Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, and any other legendary coaches and find blown calls and flat-out mistakes.  Just like we can look back on Hall of Fame QBs from the NFL and find some "WTH?" interceptions or bad decisions.

Mistakes are gonna happen.  The keys are 1) to minimize them, 2) not to repeat them, and 3) do enough good things that your team overcomes them.

From the UW game to the Utah game, I think we already saw some of #2 happening...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/21/2022 at 8:20 AM, jrw said:

I don't know...I found the Utah game very satisfying. I think because it fit some great story lines: Willis Reed Bo Nix takes the field hurt and rallies the lads to a win, 

I was reminded of Kurt Gibbons HR in the World Series on one good leg.  Even hurt, the pitcher couldn't get him out.  Saturday, even hurt, the Utah defense couldn't stop Bo from getting the crucial 1st down Noah Whittingham unfortunately failed to get.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2022 at 8:25 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

The reality is that we all could look back on the careers of Nick Saban, Joe Paterno, Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, and any other legendary coaches and find blown calls and flat-out mistakes.  Just like we can look back on Hall of Fame QBs from the NFL and find some "WTH?" interceptions or bad decisions.

Exactly.  Which is why I wrote "the only knocks I can imagine ..".  There will always be some mistakes - heck, that's how we learn to get better or do better in all walks of life.  Football is no different.

Bo Nix left a mark on Oregon football Saturday night. The toughness at the QB position from Nix will be legendary.  Every Duck and Tiger fan should be proud.

True. And, "Cornburg." I like it!!!

On 11/21/2022 at 6:10 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Darren that victory against the Utes certainly can fall into the "ugly win" category. With the optimum word in that category "win".........

No amount of words can properly define Bo's performance and effort. He inspired and led the team. That O Line protected a immobile, stationary target for most of the game. And did it against Utah. They did it in the trenches in ugly fashion.

The receivers got open quickly in the first half and helped keep the Utes off balance. Hats off to Utahs half time adjustments. They shrunk the Duck offense to nearly zero in the 2nd half. The game got even more ugly.

Thankfully the Duck defensive unit finally showed up. They manhandled the Utah O Line. Stuffed runs at or behind the line of scrimmage. They bent but only allowed the Utes one TD. As a fan, well i didnt see that coming!

Ducks D, well done, your performance was a thing of beauty. Play beautiful in an ugly, nasty way against the rodents this Saturday. Tackles for losses, tipped balls for interceptions and bone jarring tackles are a thing of beauty.

GO DUCKS! It will take another A+ effort to beat the rodents........

Defense definitely stepped up and deserve applause. And, thankfully, Utah was not making the key plays on offense that UW was a week before. 

On 11/21/2022 at 6:32 AM, 1Funduck said:

Ugly....interesting word, and yet, I can live with that. I'm leaning more towards 'Soul Searching' on this one. Oregon is missing key offensive linemen, a less than 100%(maybe 70%) QB, and the Defensive unit found it's Soul. Quite frankly, Oregon's offense did just about what one would expect against such an incredible defense. 

I'm reminded by where we are at in the season. Game 11, everyone is banged up across all of CFB. It's frigid and its to be expected that with an excellent opposing team having 10 games of film and keying on Oregon's Identity (the run), that this game should look abnormal in the box score. It did. In hindsite Oregon played just about how they should have. Aside from the cute play that cost Oregon some points, I am happy with our offense. The turnovers were painful though. It's tough to watch a dynamic offense be hobbled by fumbles and an INT. Thats got to be at least a 14 point swing one would think. 

However, I just want to ask, where in the world has 'That' defense been all year. They took Utah and put the Arizona(state) team in those Uni's. Completely changed their team. 

I suspect Oregon is going with Bo until Bo can't Go No Mo. The Defensive Monster has awoke. It's not mature for sure, but it has made an important step. 

Definitely the bounce back the Ducks needed after the Husky game. 

On 11/21/2022 at 6:33 AM, Haywarduck said:

Agree it was an ugly win, but we did learn a few things, hopefully.

Number one, Thornton is a lethal weapon, who needs to work on his hands this offseason. The guy gets separation extremely easily, but I am still waiting for him to cleanly catch a ball. His juggling catches could actually be lethal with some sure handedness. He also needs to work on how he carries the ball, fumbles kill momentum, and he is a fumble waiting to happen.

We also learned that trick plays are like magic. I should say trick plays should be like magic. Magic leaves you wondering how they made that happen. You want more, and with the most recent magic trick we have realized the limits of our magician. I hope Dan also realizes his limits. We don't need another bad magic act.

We also learned late season rankings mean something, and early season rankings not so much. When you play a #3 Georgia, they could actually be a #1 juggernaut. Also when you play a #12 BYU you might just be playing a team which barely beats Utah Tech at home later in the season. This weekend we play a team who deserved to be ranked all season, at home. We had better take them seriously, they deserve to be ranked even higher, and want to be.

Lastly we learned our cool, cold blooded, brilliant coach can show some fire. Seeing Lanning fire up our defense is something I was happy to see. In the future I want to see more of that fire, and less of the magic act. At least work on the act a bit more before bringing it out to show the crowd, and at a better time, timing is everything.

It just didn't make sense to to bring in Thompson cold (literally and figuratively) at that point. Was odd. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/21/2022 at 6:55 AM, Notalot said:

Bo knows..

how to put lipstick on a pig!

Credit the Defense.

It was exciting, so, there is that. 

On 11/21/2022 at 9:18 AM, Darren Perkins said:

It just didn't make sense to to bring in Thompson cold (literally and figuratively) at that point. Was odd. 

Agree and then have him toss a ball to a guy who needs to work on ball handling, really? I am a big fan of Dante, but he should only be given a ball as he is creating separation from the defense, until he fixes his ball handling difficulties.

One of the jobs of the coaches is to put players in position to succeed. Neither player was put in a position to succeed. Maybe if Ty had kept the ball and ran it, a good hit tends to help warm up a qb. I think Ty could put the hurt on a DB, and that may be just what he needs. Who knows what he needs, but that hasn't been tried yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2022 at 8:20 AM, jrw said:

I don't know...I found the Utah game very satisfying. I think because it fit some great story lines: Willis Reed Bo Nix takes the field hurt and rallies the lads to a win, the team bounces back with a vengeance after the Washington debacle, the defense discovers some juice, both teams played hard (to quote Rasheed Wallace). I liked it.

I loved the game, a W is a W, and it was exciting. But, not the prettiest of games, for sure. 

The second half of play was such a rollercoaster ride of emotions for both players and fans. There were OMG I can’t believe what just happened moments, and then, OMG our defense is going to win this for us moments. 

The team hobbled by injuries, pulled out the win against a team that easily dismantled our offensive scheme last year. 

The players deserve applause for this one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nailed it--again--Darren. Fun read, and I was harmonizing with you from my easy chair on that Whittington slide. (I think I was screaming louder on that first offensive offensive play of the second half, though. My F-bomb may have broken a few windows in the neighborhood.)

There was a lot of negative talk about the Ducks' defense following the UW loss. Frankly, after watching Penix dissect the Beavers' strong secondary at the end of their game, I had a pretty good idea going in that the Ducks' secondary wouldn't be able to stop the Huskies' passing game. They couldn't, and we saw why the Huskies have one of the top 2-3 passing games in the country.

So, the defense "bounced back" with a solid game against the Utes. Well, Rising clearly wasn't 100%. Beyond that, his receivers dropped numerous throws that were catchable. My take: the Duck defense is not as bad as it looked against the Huskies and probably not as good (at least from a "points allowed" perspective) as it looked against the Utes.

As to any criticism of Lanning and/or Dillingham vis-a-vis lack of back-up quarterback readiness, I can't agree on that point anymore. I have NO opinion on Butterfield, other than to say he seems like a very positive cheerleader on the sidelines. Thompson? Body language and facial expressions--both in the game and on the sidelines--say it all. I think the Ducks need to hit the transfer portal for a QB next year while seeing what Moore turns out to be.

This week's game in Corn Valley promises to be a dogfight. Can't wait.  Bring on the Platypus Punch-Out!!

Edited by WiseKwacker

On 11/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, Drake said:

The second half of play was such a rollercoaster ride of emotions for both players and fans. There were OMG I can’t believe what just happened moments, and then, OMG our defense is going to win this for us moments. 

The team hobbled by injuries, pulled out the win against a team that easily dismantled our offensive scheme last year. 

The players deserve applause for this one. 

For sure, definitely a team with character win. 

On 11/21/2022 at 11:27 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Nailed it--again--Darren. Fun read, and I was harmonizing with you from my easy chair on that Whittington slide. (I think I was screaming louder on that first offensive offensive play of the second half, though. My F-bomb may have broken a few windows in the neighborhood.)

There was a lot of negative talk about the Ducks' defense following the UW loss. Frankly, after watching Penix dissect the Beavers' strong secondary at the end of their game, I had a pretty good idea going in that the Ducks' secondary wouldn't be able to stop the Huskies' passing game. They couldn't, and we saw why the Huskies have one of the top 2-3 passing games in the country.

So, the defense "bounced back" with a solid game against the Utes. Well, Rising clearly wasn't 100%. Beyond that, his receivers dropped numerous throws that were catchable. My take: the Duck defense is not as bad as it looked against the Huskies and probably not as good (at least from a "points allowed" perspective) as it looked against the Utes.

As to any criticism of Lanning and/or Dillingham vis-a-vis lack of back-up quarterback readiness, I can't agree on that point anymore. I have NO opinion on Butterfield, other than to say he seems like a very positive cheerleader on the sidelines. Thompson? Body language and facial expressions--both in the game and on the sidelines--say it all. I think the Ducks need to hit the transfer portal for a QB next year while seeing what Moore turns out to be.

This week's game in Corn Valley promises to be a dogfight. Can't wait.  Bring on the Platypus Punch-Out!!

Agree on the QB situation. If Thompson or Butterfield had "it," they would have shown it by now. Almost every good Oregon QB over the years showed potential right off the bat, but Thompson has not. Transfer portal for sure and we have the 5-star recruit coming in. I mean, if you're a good qb looking for a home wouldn't you be interested in playing at Oregon? I would think so. And, the pay probably isn't too shabby. 

• Thumbs Up 1