cartm25

Dan Lanning Calling the Plays?

The "Rumor Train" has been heating about Dan Lanning's involvement with the defense (see 2 videos below).

See the video below at the 9:45 minute mark where he was asked directly. My interpretation of his answer: "I don't want to create division in the staff or team so that was DEFINTELY at "team" effort, but YEAH, that was me."

Since this one is only ~5 minutes, I suggest watching the entire thing, but he starts to discuss Lanning being more involved at the 2:00 minute mark.

Duck D will need a repeat performance friday. Points offensively will be hard to come by. Oregon D gave up 10 to Utes, impressive.

Nix might or might not play. It's his ankle, ankles take a long time to heal. Hope he can go but I am less optimistic than I was last week.

Maybe that's why the D had a definite uptick last weekend; perhaps he was losing patience with Tosh's schemes and calls?  That would be just fine with me.

Edited by Mic
  • Go Ducks! 1

Lanning is the expert in his defense. I get the desire to allow your staff as a HC to make the calls, but sometimes he just needs to call the shot. 

It's a learning process for everyone. Lanning as a new HC and his entire staff. 

We tend to forget that there are two teams that make up THE team. The team of players that we all see running around on the field but there is also the team of coaches. Those coaches need to learn to work together and create a chemistry of their own. 

Lanning also needs to figure out who he is as a coach. He's made some absolutely brilliant play calls but he has also made some blunders. 

He is going to learn and this season has been an incredible year so far for a first year head coach. Now let's beat the beavers and go to the Rose Bowl and end the year with double digit wins! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Whether DL called the plays or not let's duplicate that effort and result again. It will take that effort to beat the Beavs.

Log Haulin is correct thst points will be hard to come by this Saturday The Beavs held uscsuck to 17 points with a fully mobile QB on yhe field.

It was impressive to see DL firing up the defensive players. Thst unit has under perfotmed in a number of games. Whatever it was that inspired the D to dominate Utah will be necessary to handle the rodents.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 6:53 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Whether DL called the plays or not let's duplicate that effort and result again. It will take that effort to beat the Beavs.

Log Haulin is correct thst points will be hard to come by this Saturday The Beavs held uscsuck to 17 points with a fully mobile QB on yhe field.

And Utah held our 40+ point machine to 20.  Oh, and UW also held it to under 35 with Bo healthy all the way thru-  til the near end. This is not a 40+ point scoring machine any longer from this point out due mostly to quality of opponents but also to those unfortunate series of injuries to Forsyth and Nix and a few others.  Another dog-fight - but then, with the Beavers, they always are.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3