Mic

Do Lanning & Dillingham Change Strategies With Bo Hurt?

Probably gone is the ability for Oregon to score points in bunches like earlier in the season. And/or quickly.   Bo's injury (and Forsyth's, etc.) and the quality of defenses going forward from their opponents have likely changed all that.  So, now what?  

My guess is T.O.P. to go way up, ie: long drives (if achievable) from more running plays with an enhanced consideration for the field goal option.  Our kicker has proven very reliable (if close enuf).  I believe the Beavers kicker is less so.  It could come down to a score like the Utah game's with both teams under 24 again. In fact, I'm almost certain it will.  We may also see less of this risk-taking with trick plays but I'm less certain of that.

Edited by Mic

I have a proposal. I say this as someone who has been in the Butterfield camp in the ongoing backup discussion.

Think of the situation like a world series game in which you are down 3 games to 2. Your goal is to win the series, but you must win the first game to get to the second. How can this be done?

If the staff prefers Ty to Jay, then consider starting Ty and staying with him as long as the offense is performing well enough to achieve a victory. I estimate that Oregon will need about 28 points to win. This is assuming that the defense plays almost as well as against Utah, but that a few breaks go against us.

The advantages of the approach: 1) the threat of QB runs (only of the prudent sort, Mr. Fishduck) restores dynamism to the run game; 2) if the run game is working, Ty is set up for success in the passing game via play action; 3) if successful, Bo can rest for the USC game; 4) if initially unsuccessful, Bo can be brought in from the “bullpen.”

I am not entirely convinced about the wisdom of this, but I am concerned about our ability to move the football consistently if OSU can stop the run as Utah did.

This plan would be more appealing if is Alex Forsyth is available.

• Cool 1

On 11/22/2022 at 1:32 PM, Triphibius said:

If the staff prefers Ty to Jay, then consider starting Ty and staying with him as long as the offense is performing well enough to achieve a victory. I estimate that Oregon will need about 28 points to win. This is assuming that the defense plays almost as well as against Utah, but that a few breaks go against us.

The advantages of the approach: 1) the threat of QB runs (only of the prudent sort, Mr. Fishduck) restores dynamism to the run game; 2) if the run game is working, Ty is set up for success in the passing game via play action; 3) if successful, Bo can rest for the USC game; 4) if initially unsuccessful, Bo can be brought in from the “bullpen.”

This plan would be more appealing if is Alex Forsyth is available.

I'm afraid that OSU is just good enough to beat Oregon if Bo isn't at or near 100%.  Yeah, I know that's giving them a lot of credit but this time I feel they deserve it.  That means, no Ty unless Bo just can't go any longer.  That one last run for the crucial 1st down against Utah should be enough to convince OSU that they can't rule anything out when it come to the QB keeping the ball.

That said, we all know (the Beavers included) Bo can't likely do what Bo's been doing all year: run 20 yards into the end zone or 15 yards to the 1st down.  We may very well see both Ty and Jay behind center (Lord, I hope it's Forsyth!).  And here, I'm kinda in your camp: give Jay a shot.  So far, Ty hasn't performed.  We all know that.  It's do or die time now.

Edited by Mic

Bo Nix says he is "Good to Go"

• Applause 1