Pennsylvania Duck

Kenny Dillingham Has Talked with ASU

Report: Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham has spoken to ASU about head-coaching job

ARIZONASPORTS.COM

Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham has discussed the Arizona State head-coaching opening with Sun Devils power-brokers, per...

Report: Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham in discussions with Pac-12 school about coaching job

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Oregon's outstanding offensive coordinator might be a one-and-done in Eugene.

He's an ASU alum, right?  Makes sense, but hopefully the aspirations of being the "HC" don't fog his better judgement...ASU is a dumpster fire.  The cloud of sanctions and such hanging over Tempe is worse than a summer monsoon in the Sonoran desert.  Which is the only relief from 122 degree days.  KD is wiser than that, but we are looking through green and yellow tinted glasses that he may not have after less than a year in EUG.  Perhaps if they offer him upper echelon OC money to stay put...

Edited by JDuck

OK, he has had discussions with "power-brokers" but the search "“has not progressed much over the past weeks.”.

Want to know more?  All you need is a credit card to sign up.......

Of course he's going to talk to them. Not only is he an Arizona State alum, but he grew up and started his coaching career here as well (at 21 yrs old, he was hired as the offensive coordinator at Chaparral High School in Scottsdale -- which is an excellent football school).

But as others have pointed out, Arizona State is a complete dumpster fire. And with the looming sanctions, it's likely going to get worse, if it ever gets better.

However, the attraction of going home and having the opportunity to turn around your alma mater's football program has got to be very exciting and appealing. In addition, the expectations are likely going to be fairly reasonable given the mess he would be trying to clean up in Tempe.

At age 32, my guess is that if Arizona State puts a reasonable offer out there for him to take over as head coach, and a strong budget for his assistant coaches, Kenny will be outta Eugene faster than stuff runs through a Christmas goose. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think he is smart enough to know that he will have plenty of coaching options in the future, and may get an even better opportunity with a little more time at Oregon.  I sense also a loyalty factor, and again--I'll bet anyone a six pack of their favorite beverage that both Danny and Dilly will be here at Spring Football.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Mr. FishDuck

ASU is at least 4 years away from a conference championship. Why would he take on that mess? 

coaching your alma mater is never a good choice. I get it if he leaves, but man.  This goes for basketball and football.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it would be a bad move. If he turns out to be a good head coach, then ASU is a stepping stone job. He's not going to have go 11-1 or 10-2. He's going to first get them back to 6-6 then maybe start winning 7 or 8 games. People will see the turn around and then he'd start getting offers from bettter programs. 

Yes, the sanctions, future employers will take that into consideration.  He's got to have what it takes he'll get them to 6-8 wins. That's all it will take to get a better offer in 3-4 years. He's a bright guy, he'll get it done. 

And who knows, he could be the program savior and end up being an ASU lifer like Smith at OSU. He's from there, maybe that's his dream. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 2

The only thing that really bothers me is that he's so closely tied to Dante Moore. I don't know that Moore would follow him to Tempe, but it could seriously throw a wrench into him coming to Oregon. I hope that coach Lanning would be in Moore's ear day and night to assure him that the Duck offense would remain as exciting as it is even with a Dillingham departure. Lose Moore and the class will suffer and ensure another year, at least, of portal quarterbacks.

IF a serious offer comes from ASU, AND he can be kept in the fold with more money, then Mullens needs to write whatever check necessary. Give us three more years Dilly.  After that first or second Natty, let the world then be your oyster..........

On 11/22/2022 at 6:11 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

ASU is at least 4 years away from a conference championship.

Leap or Dog years? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

On 11/22/2022 at 7:23 PM, Steven A said:

Leap or Dog years? Asking for a friend.

Im thinking closer to leap years

If he's offered the job he'd be crazy not to take it if the moneys right. No way he paid huge huge bucks to stay at Oregon, cant set that precedent with young assistant coaches.

Dan has other guys in that front pocket.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 8:35 PM, Duckhart said:

If he's offered the job he'd be crazy not to take it if the moneys right. No way he paid huge huge bucks to stay at Oregon, cant set that precedent with young assistant coaches.

Dan has other guys in that front pocket.

I think it’s situational.  Right now, continuity and building 3 good recruiting classes (especially w/yr 2 having Moore) has to be the priority and I’d be willing to overpay for that.  

Once the program and DL’s rep has stable inertia then keeping coordinators has less impact on the program’s success 

He's gone. 

• Wow 1

Certainly ASU is a dumpster fire.  But many, many people will look at a dumpster fire and think, "Yeah, but I am good enough to put it out."  No idea whether Dillingham fits that description.  But you notice that every year, perennial dumpster fires like the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, New York Knicks, Pittsburgh Pirates, Northwestern University football, and Vanderbilt football have head coaches.

So I'd have to guess lots of coaches out there are looking at ASU and thinking, "Yeah, but I am good enough to put it out." 

The big questions are whether Dillingham is one of them, and whether ASU thinks he's the guy with the extinguisher.

FYI, CBS Sports has the following to say about the ASU job:

Watch for Oregon offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham to get a good look. ASU may fall into one of the best hires of the cycle. The talented Dillingham seems to be the leader in the clubhouse, but you never know with an administration that got rid of Herm Edwards then retained the AD who hired him (Ray Anderson). Dillingham, 32, is a proven commodity despite his relative youth. His quarterback, Bo Nix, may get a Heisman Trophy invite. Dillingham would be given all kinds of resources to turn around the Sun Devils. In the new Pac-12 (without USC and UCLA), why can't ASU compete for a playoff spot every year?

Not worried one bit if Dilly leaves. Lanning will bring in the next Dilly, and he might be even better. I mean who wouldn't want to take over the Oregon offense, and I am sure Lanning knows a couple guys on speed dial, is that still a thing, ready to go.

I do wonder about Dilly, but everyone thinks this time will be different, and maybe it will be. My bet, Oregon will be better off in the end than Dilly. Not saying Dilly won't cash some good checks.

For Dilly it has been over 25 years since ASU has lost less than 3 games. At the same time the program hasn't been too tolerant about losing seasons. Agree with most the challenge, home school, and of course the money will add up to a huge draw, too big to keep him at Oregon.

The latest at Arizona State, which "might be the best job in college football in this cycle"

The Sun Devils' program is ripe with potential, per numerous college coaches

"It's the best job in this cycle ... right now," said a prominent college football assistant coach with College Football Playoff experience. 

Well, no Arizona State list starts without Kenny Dillingham. He’s a Phoenix, Arizona, native with deep and direct ties to the Sun Devils’

program and he’s orchestrated one of college football’s top offenses week after week after a season-opening loss to top-ranked Georgia

in the first-ever game for Dan Lanning as a head coach.

FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

The Sun Devils' program is ripe with potential, per numerous college coaches

Arizona State has been a graveyard for good college coaches--and current circumstances make it better?

giphy.gif

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Can't say I blame Kenny for interviewing but this "coaches come - coaches go" thing really sucks. He's only been here for 11 games so far and already he's getting ready to pack his bags?  Crap, crap and more crap.

On KPNW this morning their "Duckness of Greatness' interview was with former RB's coach Gary Campbell, coach for players from Tony Cheery and LaGarrett Blount to LaMichael James and Kenyon Barner.  I believe he was the longest tenured coach in Oregon football history, or close to it.  23 years!

Compare that to today's "I'm here to build a winning program at Oregon!  - oops, No, now I'm off to ________.  See ya!" coaches.  I guess I'll wish him luck (if he gets and takes the gig) but it'd be an easier pill to swallow if he at least went to a school in a different conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

Money conquers all in todays world.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:20 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Money conquers all in todays world.

Yep.  They get soooooo much $$ for a 2-5 year contract somewhere that even if the situation goes bust after a few years they're pretty well set to ride out a year or three and take another gig somewhere.  These coaches can make a salary in just a few years it would take coaches of past years decades to accumulate.  So why stay at one school when you can hop from program to program gaining riches?  Lane Kiffen comes to mind in this regard.

Oh well.  He's not gone yet.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:35 AM, Mic said:

These coaches can make a salary in just a few years it would take coaches of past years decades to accumulate.

The first year contract for Mike Bellotti was right at $175,000.  No, I didn't omit a zero, it really was less than the lowest paid assistant today.  OC Kenny Dillingham is being paid roughly 40% more this year alone than the total of head coach Mike Bellotti's 1995 four year contract. 

On 11/22/2022 at 7:11 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

ASU is at least 4 years away from a conference championship. Why would he take on that mess? 

We've been down here for 12 years the ASU football program has been gone from floundering to a dumpster fire. 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:53 AM, McDuck said:

The first year contract for Mike Bellotti was right at $175,000.  No, I didn't omit a zero, it really was less than the lowest paid assistant today.  OC Kenny Dillingham is being paid roughly 40% more this year alone than the total of head coach Mike Bellotti's 1995 four year contract. 

And still it's not enough, apparently, to keep him on staff?  Let ASU enrich him if that's what Kenny wants.  And may he last longer than the average new Head Coach in the CFB, if that's what he wants.  Or, if he's successful will he bolt them for the next big gig?  Probably.  If this is what occurs (nothings happened yet) then Kenny wasn't a real Duck after all.  

He would prove to just be an O.C. for hire;  for the most money.  Wherever.  So be it.

ASU will make it hard for Dilly to not take the job.

I was 31 when I accepted a job change that was a step up not only in pay, but position.

ASU is a great opportunity for a young coach. And, if he's from AZ I bet he cant stand the weather here in the winter. Thats huge for some young people.

Dillingham I believe has said in interviews wants to be a head coach one day.

Last year Florida State was 73rd in scoring offense and there was bit of questioning KD (FSU fans seemed to want to hang onto him, but primarily for recruiting, and not OC stuff).

Oregon is 4th in scoring offense this year and he's hot.

If you want to be a head coach, I would say it's probably smart to move when you are hot as long as it isn't reaching for any job -- but a spot you think can win.

ASU is in the Pac-12 so you aren't going to have to jump over Georgia, Alabama, and LSU each year, it seems to have resources, a big fan and huge alumni base, sunshine; and, is in an area where a solid core of a recruiting class could be put together each year if their in-state kids were sold on staying home.

I doubt the NCAA is going to hit anyone too hard anymore, maybe a few scholarships, but even something like a "bowl ban" isn't what it used to be. ASU isn't likely to be in the playoff in the next 3 years anyway.

A lot of suggestions that better jobs are on the horizon (and they probably are); but, a lot could happen by this time next year, especially if Oregon is running out a first year starting QB behind a rebuilt OL next season. The storyline in 12 months might be "What happened to Kenny Dillingham's offense?" (not that I think it will be, just the possibility).

People point out the risk associate with taking the wrong job but KD is young enough that even if ASU doesn't work out, he could go somewhere and rehabilitate (like a Kiffin or Sark) and be the next big name a second time around, all while still in his late 30s or early 40s, with about $25 million ASU $ in the bank.

I can see the logic. He could stay easily at Oregon as well (I believe both the OC and DC stuck around at Clemson despite getting mentioned for jobs for several years, Aranda at LSU as well, so it happens).

Edited by AnotherOD

ASU is a disastrous failure waiting to happen for any coach let alone a new one. FSU and Miami were miles ahead of ASU in stability and two established coaches have failed miserably at them.

Dilly has everything he needs to succeed at UO including top notch coaching/ recruiting staff, a national brand for the recruiting trail, a gratuitous donor, and a recent history of on field success.

Succeed here a couple more years and he could land a solid head coaching gig if that’s what he wants.

I think he’s way too smart to fall for the ASU fools gold but if he’s not, the next OC  Lanning brings in should do just fine.

• Applause 1

Sun Devil fans have been reliving 1996 for a quarter century.

I tend to agree with another poster on this board where if the money's right, the challenge of putting out the dumpster fire at ASU and rebuilding the program from the ground up and making it his own may prove to be an alluring challenge for KD. Plus of course, as many have said, KD is an ASU alum and grew up in Arizona.

I really hope that he does stay with Oregon for at least a little while longer. Although of course it will be disappointing, we can't blame the guy either for bolting back home so to speak. Also unfortunately, expect maybe a handful of his recruits to follow him to ASU should he become HC there.

I'm sure DL has a short list of OC's he can call on to become the the new OC for the Ducks should KD accept the position at ASU. Heck, if we even become that desperate, Mark Helfrich or Scott Frost are available lol - Oregon's O was actually still pretty explosive under these coaches, it's just the D that was terrible due to poor DC hires that tanked Helfrich's last season at Oregon lol.

On 11/24/2022 at 4:11 AM, OceaniaDuck said:

Heck, if we even become that desperate, Mark Helfrich or Scott Frost are available lol - Oregon's O was actually still pretty explosive under these coaches

I hate to say it but Dillingham should take the ASU HC job if offered.  I can't blame someone for chasing their dreams and having the opportunity to coach at your alma mater would be hard to turn down. 

Scott Frost - no, thank you.  I have also thought of Mark Helfrich as OC.  He certainly had a great eye for QB recruits and is a good OC.   

My father specialized in turning around "dumpster fires."  He would be hired to run a division or a company hemorrhaging money, with few prospects, and every time he had them profitable within three years.  He had plenty of people each time saying, "Don't take that job - that's a graveyard."  But he relished the challenge.

I have no clue whether KD is cut from the same cloth, nor whether he has the chops to extinguish a dumpster fire, nor whether he'll have any chance of success if he goes to ASU.  But some people think they can turn around even a horrible situation - and sometimes, they're right.

I would hate to lose him after just one year, but if he thinks that's a good position for him, more power to him.  I've left companies for a big raise and a promotion, so I feel it would be hypocritical for me to castigate KD if he decides to do the same thing.  

I just wish him luck in making the right decision for himself, his family, and his career (if the job is actually offered to him).  Successful programs are always going to lose assistants who want to become coordinators, and coordinators who want to become head coaches.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2022 at 2:13 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

...  Successful programs are always going to lose assistants who want to become coordinators, and coordinators who want to become head coaches.

While this is quite true, I think of the years that so many long-ago Duck assistants stayed, perhaps because they weren't getting big offers to leave, but I think liking being position coaches, liking living in Eugene was part of it too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon Ducks OC Kenny Dillingham ‘seems to be the leader in the clubhouse’ to become Arizona State head coach, per report

Dillingham, 32, is earning $1 million in the first of a three-year contract.

His buyout of 25% of his salary is waived if he becomes an FBS head coach.

With the regular season coming to a close for most of college football this weekend,

Dillingham remains a serious candidate at his alma mater.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Dillingham “seems to be the leader in the clubhouse” at Arizona State, according to CBSSports.com and has had discussions with...

On 11/24/2022 at 2:19 PM, Annie said:

While this is quite true, I think of the years that so many long-ago Duck assistants stayed, perhaps because they weren't getting big offers to leave, but I think liking being position coaches, liking living in Eugene was part of it too.

Under Coach Bellotti, Oregon lost an OC every couple of years to take head coaching positions.  At one point, it seemed as though half of the Pac-10 coaches were former Oregon OCs.

It's one of the consequences of a successful program and is better than the alternative. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2022 at 1:04 PM, OregonDucks said:

Scott Frost - no, thank you.  I have also thought of Mark Helfrich as OC.  He certainly had a great eye for QB recruits and is a good OC.   

Scott has probably be out of the game too long.  Today's kids probably don't know who is is or what he did.  But I wouldn't be opposed to him being named, if Lanning even knows who he is.  He's also from our neck of the woods, Marshfield HS, Coos Bay.  Almost a 'local' kid, er ... man for us near Reedsport.

On 11/24/2022 at 3:49 PM, OregonDucks said:

Under Coach Bellotti, Oregon lost an OC every couple of years to take head coaching positions.  At one point, it seemed as though half of the Pac-10 coaches were former Oregon OCs.

It's one of the consequences of a successful program and is better than the alternative. 

Yes, definitely true, though I was thinking more of assistants such as Zoomer, Campbell, etc. who were here for so many years. I do remember Borges leaving after one year in a parallel move to OC at UCLA and I seem to remember that Belloti was ticked about that.

He's not leaving.  That is my fantasy, and I'm sticking to it!

Coach Kenny Dillingham_Jerry Thompson.jpg

I would like to think he would be here another year for the current players and recruits...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

A glaring thing being overlooked by everyone in this thread is one of the most important factors in if ASU offers Kenny and he feels if he is ready..

Does Kenny have the Cred pull to hire a staff worth a darn? 

Lanning was three years older than Dilly when we hired him and had gigs with Saban at Bama and Kirby Smart at Georgia. Lanning was the DC for three years at an SEC powerhouse and had led a great D every year. Coaches off the Saban and now Kirby tree have have Cred. Lanning also was a connections builder. We don't have to question what Lanning's Cred was with the coaching community - he pulled good hires. 

Dilly's mentor Mike Norvell is a good coach and was a young head coach. But being a Norvell disciple isn't the same as Saban or Kirby. This is Dillys first year running an offense on his own. His first year managing the entire offensive staff without a mentor over looking him.

The two questions are.. is Dilly ready to manage an entire staff and who can he pull as hires? What good coaches are going to tie themselves to Dilly as he takes on his first coaching gig? What's the upside to counter the big risk that Dilly's team won't be very good and that will reflect on the upward career path they want for themselves? 

To offset this ASU would probably require him to hire a Vet DC who has been a head coach. That would give someone for Dilly to lean on and help him pull a staff together. 

Part of being a good head coach hire is the connections you have and Cred to pull hires - I wonder if Dilly feels he is ready for that? Or would a year or two more learning form Lanning in his first coaching gig and fielding a couple more dynamic offenses go a long ways towards getting him ready and building his Cred? How are Dillys connections? 

The Ducks asked Lanning if he was going to be able to pull a staff and his answer was a homerun - he'd been planning for years.. has Dilly? and if he has can Dilly close the deals on the staff he wants to chase?

In this day and age a HC has to have a good staff to have success. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2