Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Ducks-Beavers Rivalry Name-Game is Tired

On 11/22/2022 at 3:37 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

What do we call the Oregon-Oregon State game?

As always... "Civil War"

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Civil War"

• Thumbs Up 3

OK ... problem solved. I went into Thesaurus.Com and typed in the sentence "Oregon plays in the Civil War this weekend." The first three options with changing Civil were:

"Oregon plays in the Civilian Bowl this weekend."

"Oregon plays in the Domestic Bowl this weekend."

"Oregon plays in the Governmental Bowl this weekend."

All great options so maybe we create a poll and go with the winner? I like the Governmental Bowl. We can put a large tax on the tickets and give the fans nothing new in return. LOL

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love the little jab at OSU's former president. 😁

Civil War, always.

But if we must...

Why not keep "civil" and drop "war"?

I.e. Civil Bowl, Civil Rivalry, Civil Game, etc... 

The point Canzano makes is a valid one. It's been 2 years? ... Let's make a decision.

Edited by Krsmqn

On 11/22/2022 at 2:56 PM, Krsmqn said:

I love the little jab at OSU's former president. 😁

Civil War, always.

But if we must...

Why not keep "civil" and drop "war"?

I.e. Civil Bowl, Civil Rivalry, Civil Game, etc... 

The point Canzano makes is a valid one. It's been 2 years? ... Let's make a decision.

We mustn't!!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Civil - sĭv′əl - adjective

"Of or relating to citizens and their interrelations with one another or with the state."

"Courteous; obliging; well bred; affable; often, merely or formally polite; not discourteous."

The Civil War is the ideal name. The other creative aspect about these two words being used together is that combined, they are really an oxymoron. When it comes to this game, especially when so much is on the line, there is very little "civil" going on in this "war."

Let's just drop the "Civil" and call it "The War".

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly barely register that the name "officially" changed.  While that might influence the merchandising of the game and likely the announcers it doesn't change it for me.

I asked my buddy last week if he was going to the civil war game and he said yes.  He wasn't the least bit confused.

• Thumbs Up 2

How about the 'civilless war'. But be careful with the pronunciation.  You don't want to call it the 'syphilis war'.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2

I vote for  The Civil Rivalry game. 

How about The Game With No Name.

I don't usually like to label myself because I don't live my life like that. But in this case I will. I'm an African American who grew up in Salem during the 70's and 80's when there were hardly any minorities around. I know what racism is, been pulled over and followed around stores, I've had things yelled at me and friends houses I couldn't go into because my skin is brown. I've seen it all in this state.

But my family, friends and other people I know who are minorities have never, ever had a problem with this football game being called the Civil War. We are smart enough to know that this game has nothing to do with American history. It's just a football game between the Ducks and the Beavs. That's it. Nothing more.

Some may disagree and that's ok. But for me and mine this game should be still called the Civil War. I understand and appreciate folks who are trying to relate to the Black experience in this country but sometimes we as humans tend to take things to far.

• Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

It's still "the Civil War" because that's what most (if not all) the fans are calling it at all the tailgaters I dropped into the last two games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Down through history there have been "civil wars" all over the world. A civil war is when two factions in the same country are fighting militarily for control of the country.

I moved to Oregon as an adult (I immigrated legally, as I married a native born Oregonian). I always thought that the civil war game was so named because it was Oregonians fighting Oregonians on the gridiron for football supremacy of Oregon. The United States civil war - The War Between the States" - never entered my mind. Nor did slavery, nor race relations in any way. I just always thought Oregonians fighting Oregonians.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 7:29 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Down through history there have been "civil wars" all over the world. A civil war is when two factions in the same country are fighting militarily for control of the country.

I moved to Oregon as an adult (I immigrated legally, as I married a native born Oregonian). I always thought that the civil war game was so named because it was Oregonians fighting Oregonians on the gridiron for football supremacy of Oregon. The United States civil war - The War Between the States" - never entered my mind. Nor did slavery, nor race relations in any way. I just always thought Oregonians fighting Oregonians.

Yeah... but you say that only because you are a reasonable and rational person. 

There does not appear to be a lot of 'reasonable and rational' making the rounds these days. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They made a rather successful movie from the Avengers line and called it "civil war"...I don't recall their being uproar about that.  

But, to draw inspiration from the GREAT Dr. Seuss:

When Puddles battles Benny in a wet muddled puddle and Benny's getting pummeled by Puddles with a paddle....AND Benny needs to cuddle in the wet muddled puddle but can't because Puddles doesn't huddle, they call that the:

CIVIL WAR.

And I apologize to Mr. Seuss for destroying the Tweetle Beetle Battle...

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

The War that ended slavery is offensive.... to whom? 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The Platty.

Yeah, or "The Platypus Bowl" lol Works for me.

Edited by kirklandduck

Come big game Week there  are ducks and beavers sharing a sidewalk, an office, a line at the grocery store, friendly and CIVIL banter ensued.

fans of both rivals know it’s a slugfest, a clash, a beating, a battle, a WAR no mater the final score. 

Easy,  add a hyphen - CIVIL-WAR 

Edited by Flyin Vee

From the above article we read this:

In June of 2020, then-Oregon State president Ed Ray talked with then-Oregon president Michael Schill and issued a statement. Ray wrote, “Changing this name is overdue as it represents a connection to a war fought to perpetuate slavery.”

In regards to this I say: "Changing this name was stupid and anti-historical as it once represented a war fought to end slavery.  And it did.

Drop this politically-correct nonsense and stop the virtue-signaling.  Let the fans have their excitement and let's never forget what it cost this nation to free an enslaved people.  Ed Ray should be rejected for this .    just my opinion

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

War Of the Willamette?

On 11/23/2022 at 8:29 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Easy,  add a hyphen - CIVIL-WAR 

I LIKE that, but no hyphen before....just CIVIL-WAR  so it is different than the actual war, but reflects our traditional name.  Send a message to Canzano!

Mr. FishDuck

I like the "Battle for the Valley"! 

Works for all teams at both Schools. 

The Valley Classic

"a war fought to perpetuate slavery..." Canzano quotes the brilliant university president.  Ummm, the Civil War was fought to END slavery.  At least that's how I look at it, but kids today (players) may not see it that way, what they teach in schools today is different than when I was in school

• Applause 1

The 'Oregonian's Civil War'

On 11/23/2022 at 9:11 AM, JDuck said:

"a war fought to perpetuate slavery..." Canzano quotes the brilliant university president.  Ummm, the Civil War was fought to END slavery.  At least that's how I look at it, but kids today (players) may not see it that way, what they teach in schools today is different than when I was in school

The south started the war so it was started to perpetuate slavery but I think this tangent of the topic goes off into the political weeds.

How about back to the Civil War but with disclaimer. THE CIVIL WAR (All naming provided in the Oregon vs Oregon State football game, Inc. is provided for entertainment purposes only and does not constitute a connection to the American Civil War any other global conflicts of any kind and any person or entity unless otherwise expressly specified. 

No warranty, expressed or implied, is made regarding the accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, or usefulness of any information, either isolated or in the aggregate pertaining to the actual original naming of the football version of the Civil War is provided “as is.” All warranties of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to implied interpretations by overly sensitive people, freedom from protests by people with too much time on their hands or those that think the names Ducks and Beavers are cruel to animals, are disclaimed.

Changes may be periodically made to the information; no notice is required with respect to any changes; and changes may or may not be incorporated into the actual football game.)

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2

To me it’s the Civil War. Anything else would be uncivilized.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Platypus is perfect but otherwise keep it simple, few syllables at possible. 

The Classic

The Oregon Classic

The Lumber Bowl (Webfeet were lumbermen,     Beavers gnaw trees).