FishDuck Article

Are We Getting A Clearer View Into How Oregon Approaches NIL?

We are getting close to early signing day, which is December 5th, when the vast majority of recruits will sign their letters of intent to their universities of choice. This is also the time of year we start to see the majority of recruiting flips occur. Recruiting momentum seems to be picking up at Oregon as the Ducks ...

FISHDUCK.COM

We are getting close to early signing day, which is December 5th, when the vast majority of recruits will sign their letters of intent to their...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Fun to ponder the NIL, David, and if anyone has more insight--I'd love to see it.

Doesn't Kadyn Proctor look like the cerebral type that would be attracted to Coach Klemm?

5-star OT Kadyn Proctor commits to Iowa - On3

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Get a load of this article that was just published. The transfer portal starts Dec. 5, right when early commitments end!

NIL money will be everywhere...premium positions will cost more (QB, OL)...Are Ducks' NIL ready?

Transfer Portal, NIL on collision course: 'I’m expecting total chaos'...Year 2 of Transfer Portal, NIL: ‘gonna be on steroids’

WWW.ON3.COM

The Transfer Portal is coming. And with the second year of NIL intersecting, college football programs are bracing for impact.

Oregon's program seems to be working out, however it is put together. Agree with the assessment, interest in the program, and coaches needs to happen first. The Texas ATM method of money first is a colossal failure, so far. 

A play on Matayo might bring in some interesting dividends. Since we are connecting invisible lines, that possible connection might be the most intriguing.

I also think bringing Gonzo paid off big. Going hard at elite talent from stumbling programs seems to warrant the price. You never know how talent, A SPARC number, translates to the football field. After a couple seasons coaches know who they don't want to face on the opposing side.

I could see where players become targets when their college numbers rise above their programs success. Parents and student athletes know they could make more money and have more success if they hit the portal after a couple good years. This could be a positive of the transfer portal and NIL for college football, at least the elite schools and successful kids.

On 11/23/2022 at 9:29 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Year 2 of Transfer Portal, NIL: ‘gonna be on steroids’

I think I'm to old to stomach this. Real life Fantasy Football. No thanks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is probably an interesting dynamic how the coaches "don't communicate" with the 3rd parties involved with NIL deals.  

Do they use the wink system (x number of winks is how bad we would like the commit or number of zeros to put in a NIL deal), Morse code, semaphore, emojis, etc.?

• Haha 1

I think anyone who finds themselves more engaged by the NIL process than by the process of finding high school students who identify and want to be a part of your university football program probably identify much more with the NFL process than they do the traditional college football process. 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:14 AM, Washington Waddler said:

I think anyone who finds themselves more engaged by the NIL process than by the process of finding high school students who identify and want to be a part of your university football program probably identify much more with the NFL process than they do the traditional college football process. 

I do feel the Oregon coaches are more on the traditional side of things when it comes to the recruiting process. 

Klemm has stuck with recruiting and building a relationship with Proctor and Conerly before him. The NIL number wasn't there early but as that relationship grew and time went on the NIL number from Oregon I'm sure has changed. 

There is a reason why Oregon decided not to get in a bidding war over the qb position with Nico and Rashada. They liked Moore the best from the sound of it but Oregon's coaches wanted to build that relationship and see the player underneath the highlight reel. 

Will it pay off? We'll have to see but Oregon's NIL boosters aren't throwing money around like other programs that's for sure.

It's clear that Oregon will put out enough NIL money early to show they are serious but then wait and not get in a bidding war. 

I think some special rule for bowl games might be needed. 

I don't like the trend of NFL hopefuls skipping bowl games.

Maybe having a pay for bowl game play clause might help. Networks might be willing to pony up some money in hopes of retaining market share.

NIL is a can of worms.  But if they can get some big fish in the boat, then maybe it's positive in the long run.