FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: New Rivalry Game Name

Happy holidays, Oregon fans! Thank you for spending this incredible season so far with us here at FishDuck. We’re just as excited as you about Dan Lanning, rising superstars, and the future of this Oregon Ducks football program overall. Today, we turn our attention to the Beavers, where our age-old rivalry game needs a new name. In the last few days, ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Happy holidays, Oregon fans! Thank you for spending this incredible season so far with us here at FishDuck. We're just as excited as you...
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

To me a game by any other name is still the Civil War.

Sometimes the Civil War is for the Roses! 🌹🌹🌹🌹

Thanks for the article today Alex!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

It IS a “civil war”!  That’s why it’s called that.  A Rose is a rose is a rose.  And, the name and the game have nothing to do with the U. S.Civil War.  Much ado about nothing!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Grrr... its been two years since someone decided we are no longer to call this rivalry " The Civil War ". Nobody has bothered to come up with an adequate replacement. Why? Because it will always be "The Civil War ".

People can get sucked up all they want. To me it will always be "The Civil War ". I will never call it something its not. I will not be forced to just because someone got their faux feelings hurt.

People can call it what they want. I will call it "The Civil War Game" . Everyone will know what I am talking about. There will be no confusion. 

Viva Civil War

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Thank you Alex, for sharing!

I don’t know about you good folk, but I am sick to death of the pc, woke, inoffensive, and hyper-sensitive BS that is trying to take over our language and our lives.  

I still call this game the Civil War, and everybody knows what I am talking about and NOBODY takes offense.

I am fine with adding a hyphen and calling it the Civil-War, but that is it.  It is what it is, and what it is is a civil war between the preeminent football teams in the state of Oregon.

It has (and never has had) NOTHING to do with slavery, the war between the states, the union, or the confederacy.

The over-educated individuals who started this hoo-haw should be ashamed of themselves.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Since the Willamette Valley is known for wineries, how about The Wine Country War? 😉

Happy Thanksgiving Alex and OBD Forum members! Thank you Charles, writers, moderators and all the volunteers who make this one of a kind site possible. Above all this is a Civil Site........

There have been a number of good suggestions proposed by Forum members on a different OBDF thread.  But none roll off the tongue or feel right! Do they?

It's often difficult to change or replace a name that seemed so right and rolled right off your tongue. A name that satisfied almost 5 generations of Oregon football fans. But alas some folks, who lack a solid dose of common sense just can't seem to mind their own business........

To honor those folks how about renaming The Civil War Game

"The mind your own business game"

Or to honor those who may lack backbone or a spine loaded with conviction (example; the Presidents of U of O and OSU) who should have told others to mind your own business. Let's honor those guys and name The Civil War Game

The Spineless or Lack of Backbone Game!

For those folks who missed out on US History classes and left college without knowledge and understanding. Who somehow determined a fierce Oregon sports rivalry was some how a reference or continuation of a battle over slavery. Let's change The Civil War Game to

The stay in school and learn something of value game.......

When i moved bscked to Oregon in March 1984 i was 4th generation on my Fathers side of a family that settled in Oregon in 1900. As i traveled thru the Wilamette Valley, acquiring customers and building our family business, well i was inspired by the passion of Duck and Beaver fans during "Cival War Week".  I was constantly asked, Who do you think will win "The Civil War Game"? Or who are you rooting for in "The Civil War Game"?

Whether i was in Portland, Astoria, Brookings, Bend, Ontario, Eugene or Corvallis it was all about "The Civil War Game".

So to honor those who won't or can't mind their own business, to those leaders who lack the backbone to fight for tradition or those who missed US History class, well i will keep my true thoughts to myself.

However, when my family ( now 7 generations deep sense my Great Grandparents settled in Oregon) settles in at 12:30 pm on Saturday to watch the game, well we will be watching The University of Oregon Ducks play the Oregon State Beavers at the end of Cival War Week in The Cival War Game......

PS: GO DUCKS beat the Beavers in "THE CIVIL WAR GAME"! After all we are playing for the Rose Bowl opportunity. We want to properly send Beavus to the Sun Bowl, Weedwacker Bowl or Toilet Bowl.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Although it is tempting to sink down to the level of renaming the civil war:

War of the Woke

or

Micro-Aggression Bowl 

I would vote for:

Beatdown on the Pond

or

Fur and Feather Flyway

or

Dam-Fowl War

Better yet, start a movement to keep the name 'Civil War' and accept no substitute. 

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Liked it more
  • Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Ed Ray:

"That we did not act before to change the name was a mistake. We do so now, along with other important actions to advance equal opportunity and justice for all and in recognition that Black Lives Matter.”

Thanks Ed, now go back to watching the grass grow 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is rapidly veering into politics (the whole "woke meme" is a favorite of the right and only the right) and shut down. @Charles Fischer

On 11/24/2022 at 8:06 AM, Annie said:

Since the Willamette Valley is known for wineries, how about The Wine Country War? 😉

I'm not really suggesting a name here... But those wineries are only there because the Missoula floods stole all of eastern Washington's top spoil and deposited it in the valley. 

So in a way western oregons prosperity is a result of Washington's devation. So that's fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:30 AM, lownslowav8r said:

This thread is rapidly veering into politics (the whole "woke meme" is a favorite of the right and only the right) and shut down. @Charles Fischer

The attempt to erase the name of this rivalry was done for one reason. Can't dance around it or expect passionate fans to ignore this fact. 

I am trying super hard to keep my comments above board. Introducing this topic is a serious challenge to OBDF rules. 

The truth is that the name was dissolved for political reasons. No other reason but politics. Tough to ignore that fact.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:28 AM, Log Haulin said:

Ed Ray:

"That we did not act before to change the name was a mistake. We do so now, along with other important actions to advance equal opportunity and justice for all and in recognition that Black Lives Matter.”

To Ed Ray: I get that you mean well, but………”Huh?”    “For Reals?”   “Seriously?”

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, let’s bring it back.  It’s a football game between the State’s two top major college D1 teams(sorry, PSU), for “football supremacy” in the State.  It’s akin to two forces fighting for one supremacy.  Like a Civil debate, a Civil disagreement, and……a Civil War.   There’s been a myriad of “Civil Wars”, throughout history.  Should Spain rename their “schism”, “the War between the two sides?”   Cuba?  China?  Vietnam?

”The war between the two groups who disagree?”

No!  The annual game between UO and OSU is, jokingly, tongue-in-cheek akin to a Civil War between two parties.   That’s all.

it is a very apt description, and……..nothing more.  It has nothing…..not a scintilla…..of anything….to do with the U.S. Civil War.   We understand the good intention behind the idea to do away with name of the football game……and appreciate the intention…….but it’s misplaced, and unnecessary.  Of course, your mother meant well when she told you to wear your “Jackie” when it’s 68 outside, but……it’s really not necessary!

Much ado about nothing!  You wanna call it “the Civil War”?  Be my guest: ain’t nuthin’ wrong with doing so……

• Thumbs Up 1

The name change is a done deal, whether you think it was a good idea or not, I respect either view (as long as you don’t troll those who disagree with you with terms like "woke"). What we all can agree on is that we should have had a new name by now and the administrations of both the Ducks and Beavs have been kicking the can down the road to avoid controversy. That is a failed strategy. 

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The name change will ultimately get done for sure at some point, but I'm guessing avid fans of both schools aren't going to change easily.  Just like words that can have different connotations, so can the name "civil war".  Numerous countries have had them, not just us, and they stem from a disagreement in philosophy or power, kind of like UO and OSU in Oregon.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought the name change was unnecessary (for the reasons many of your have noted). But I turned on a dime when Dennis Dixon and other former Ducks said the name always bothered them. 

I still don’t understand the leap from A civil war to THE American Civil War but I decided this really wasn’t an issue where an old white guy gets a vote. If our former athletes were bothered by the name, that’s enough for me. 

I’m of German heritage. You call me a kraut, I might bristle. I don’t think it’s political correctness to respect others’ views. Not sure we would appreciate it if the world called WWII the War of American Imperialism (which of course it wasn’t).  

• Thumbs Up 1

Make it simple and PC.

Can’t offend anyone these days, so call it the Oregon Cup/ Salmon Cup / Sasquatch Cup / Trails End Cup, etc.

The main problem is that nobody wants to make the decision. Doesn’t have to be a “cutesy type” name. Changes took place because individuals interpreted the name differently than I ever did. 

Time to move on and play the game formerly known as the Civil War.

On 11/24/2022 at 7:12 AM, Log Haulin said:

Viva Civil War

It's what everybody I talked to at the last tailgater before beating Utah called it.  No one I spoke wants to call it any other name and no one I talked to said it's about race or slavery.  It's about two football teams from two colleges less than 100 miles apart.  Nothing more, nothing less.  What nonsense!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's because Ed Ray made it that way with his insipid decision to go political in renaming it.  It was never thought political in nature before that!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

civil - courteous and polite

Can we just call it "the civil war" (lower case letters), since it has nothing to do with The U.S. Civil War?  The game is a "friendly" in-state rivalry game, oftentimes with divided households rooting for different teams.  It's about bragging rights in the state of Oregon and occasionally something much more meaningful.

LOL.  Another option is to call it he Uncivil War but then it might be confused with the Washington-Oregon game!

Edited by OregonDucks
expanded
  • Haha 1

Hmmm...why don't we just take this nonsensical anti-civil war name idea to its nonsensical conclusion?  Pardon the alliteration...how about we call it The Affable Acrimony?  Or The Gracious Engagement?  Those should make the  schools' administrations feel safe.  😜

• Haha 2

I still call it the Civil war and always will. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I grew up with the game being called The Civil War and it’s etched that way on my heart. The fact that no one has come up with a new and better name that everyone can agree on is evidence to the fact that changing the name of the game was a completely ridiculous idea.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, Drex Heikes said:

I thought the name change was unnecessary (for the reasons many of your have noted). But I turned on a dime when Dennis Dixon and other former Ducks said the name always bothered them. ...

This. Players and former players play the game, and they are the ones who asked for the name change.

On 11/24/2022 at 2:24 PM, Annie said:

This. Players and former players play the game, and they are the ones who asked for the name change.

Publicly or privately?  Two very different things. Everyone's afraid nowadays of being labeled racist in the media.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the relative frequency of both teams choosing to wear their traditional "home' colors on game day, perhaps it's becoming the Strike Your Colors Game... 

Loser has to jog to the locker room in their skivvies.

After I heard they were changing the name of  The Civil War, which in all honesty I'm against, considering it is one of the 2 best names for a rivalry game ever. Clean, Old Fashioned Hate (Georgia/Georgia Tech) being the other. I thought something like Sibling Rivalry would be good.

I have been detained today, and did not see things veering political here and apologize for not stepping in.  (I would have thought that the dozen mods would have alerted me, but....)

Let's all not use terms that are clearly from one side of the political isle, as that is not "polite and respectful" to our fellow Duck friends in this forum.

What strikes me as odd is how it really is only a few former players asking for it, yet when I talk/read the fans from both schools--they are against the change.  And while many of the names are "OK," none inspire the feelings that the original name does with us.

I wonder if the Civil-War would appease those who find it offensive?  Adding the hyphen distinguishes it from the actual war...I think?  It feels like a "lose-lose" situation, in that the original group will be unhappy with any variation of the original name, and the vast majority will be unhappy with any variation that is not like the original name.  

And that explains why the name change has not happened; those who made the decision for the change buckled quickly to a few, and what are they going to do with the masses now? 

Hide

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/24/2022 at 3:50 PM, Mic said:

Publicly or privately?  Two very different things. Everyone's afraid nowadays of being labeled racist in the media.  

I remember reading their opinions about the name at the time, so it was public to that extent.

This mess is a prime example of “the smartest people in the room” being educated beyond their intelligence. 

How about the "C.E. Ville War" like in the Corvallis Eugene Ville War, a rally in the valley.  Say it enough, sounds like a French person saying civil or at least in my mind, it does.  And just like everything else after awhile it will have a RE-iteration of C.E.vil or Civil, what comes around goes around?

I thought about "The Taxidermy Tourney" because both Beavers and Ducks where/are hunted but I figured that would just bring PETA in, defeating the purpose of not offending someone because of football.  And the thought of either school using an old trapper as a mascot in my mind did not seem appealing, unless one was having flashbacks of Robert Redford in Jeremiah Johnson.  That seemed too savage.  I mean this is FOOTBALL we are talking about here.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:28 AM, Log Haulin said:

Ed Ray:

I've said my peace about this topic on another Fishduck thread so I won't repeat it all again. But as a Black Oregonian who grew up in this State and has seen real racism in all forms this comment from Mr. Ray is insulting to me and my intelligence. This football game has nothing to do with social justice or feeling my life matters. It's just freaking game with a really cool name.

I agree wholeheartedly.  VIVA CIVIL WAR!!!!!

• Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

My own suggestion for a new name is "The I-Fivalry" or "The I-5alry".  It's short, snappy and rolls easily off the tongue.  It also perfectly captures the geographic relationship between the two schools and the trip the fans need to take to attend the game.  Please give it some thought.

• Applause 1

1. Platypus Punch-Out

2. Battle Between Two Usually Civil Alumni Groups

3. Uncivil War

4. Civility War

5. Bucky Ducky Bowl

The Civil War of Oregon Football.... We'll call it The Civil War for short.

From what I understand it was  some players that were upset with the name. My guess is that they were from out of state and everytime the term came up in the past it had to do with the Civil War not some football game.

To most Oregonian's everytime the term comes up it's about a football game not a terrible and still lingering time in our past.

So to get a firm grip on all this we need to have an OBD type discussion with the offending parties and then, as a whole, decide if the name change is warranted.

What type of discussion, and with whom, took place a couple of years ago before the powers at be decided what was what.

On 11/25/2022 at 6:56 AM, EzDucksIt said:

... rally in the valley...

This! 🙂

9 potential candidates to rename the 'Civil War' rivalry between Ducks and Beavers

For the past couple of seasons, the rivalry between the Ducks and the Beavers has gone without a name. 

While the powers-at-be are still mulling their options, we decided to take to Twitter and see if there were

any decent possibilities out there. Here are some of the best suggestions we got.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon vs. Oregon State rivalry is no longer called The Civil War. What should it be called? We gathered all of your suggestions.