1Funduck

It's Time for a Respectable Name for the Oregon/Oregon State Rivalry

Much ado has been uttered about renaming the rivalry match up of Oregon and Oregon St. It has mustered up much emotion like a rivalry would, but it sure seems the elimination of the name 'Civil War' was done in haste. 

I'm not here to say we should keep it nor eliminate it. I have no authority nor would anyone listen. But, let's offer suggestions. 

I have one:

'The War on the Willamette'

What suggestions do you propose?

image.png.2730049fdd165ca1c261ea758a7e9382.png

Discussed ad infinitum! Thread yesterday had 40 posts.  Thread in response to Canzano on this subject this Tuesday had 31 posts.  Lots of excellent posts and discussion!

Call it what you want.  I'm watching the game tomorrow, and I will celebrate a good game of football!   

It will always be the civil war game to me.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Beating a Dead Horse is decidedly Un-Civil...

The Boundary War has jumped the tracks.

No one tells us what to do ... we can still call it the Civil War...lol.

Edited by LADuck

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Been an Oregon duck for 62 years. It’s the Civil War and that’s the way it is.

Ducks and Beavers...

PLATYPUS BOWL... Duh!

Can even have a platypus cup!

• Great post! 1

In our downy, finely feathered hearts, it will always be,  Civil War, but, for today, let it be known as 

The Refried Bean Dip Beatdown. 

Go Ducks! Throw salsa in the eyes of the of the flat tailed pond puppies.

Waddle On To Victory ✌️ 

• Like 1

'Let's keep beating this dead horse,' said no one, even respectively.

The name of the game is like a mullet, it will go away, but some will still think it is cool. Much like a mullet everyone will still know what it is, nothing will truly replace it. As time goes on, like a mullet, some will be able to keep it going, and pull it off, but it will still be a mullet, not really cool.

• Applause 1

On 11/26/2022 at 10:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

The name of the game is like a mullet, it will go away, but some will still think it is cool. Much like a mullet everyone will still know what it is, nothing will truly replace it. As time goes on, like a mullet, some will be able to keep it going, and pull it off, but it will still be a mullet, not really cool.

Anybody who has high school age kids knows that the mullet has made a comeback. It’s cool again. At least with the young kids.

In another thread, EZDucksIt suggested the Rally in the Valley. I like that one!

A dead horse? Maybe. And yet this subject won't go away. We can be frustrated all we want and then ignore it. Does that change the fact that someone in position is going to name it and it will take on an official name eventually? Nope.

I hate the fact that PC has overstepped its boundaries. I have loved 'The Civil War' moniker. But, if the powers that be refuse to use it, enter Largest Cocktail Party, then its a matter of time before it gets renamed. I will always call it the Largest Cocktail party, but the next generation won't even know what we are talking about. Same with the Civil War. I love calling it the Civil War, but if the official name has been removed then there is a vacuum. The Platypus Bowl feels like something I would scrape off my shoe. 

Beat a dead horse? Maybe. But someone is going to make that Dead Horse official, and what you dislike now may be what you despise later.

On 11/26/2022 at 1:38 AM, Jrlamont said:

Ducks and Beavers...

PLATYPUS BOWL... Duh!

Yuck

On 11/26/2022 at 1:38 AM, Jrlamont said:

The trophy for the game formerly known as the civil war has been a platypus since 1959. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_Trophy

The Platypus Cup really is the most fitting name for the game IMHO, even better than civil war. 

It highlights the silly, nature-loving, Oregonian culture of both Ducks and Beavs. 

On 11/25/2022 at 6:53 PM, 1Funduck said:

What suggestions do you propose?

Just to completely kill a dead horse here, allow me to make a wild & crazy non yoke recommendation:

"Civil War"

On 11/26/2022 at 8:43 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Anybody who has high school age kids knows that the mullet has made a comeback. It’s cool again. At least with the young kids.

No offense intended, but while the mullet might be back in some corners of the nation, it will never be cool. Ever. 😉 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 11/26/2022 at 8:47 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

The trophy for the game formerly known as the civil war has been a platypus since 1959. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_Trophy

The Platypus Cup really is the most fitting name for the game IMHO, even better than civil war. 

It highlights the silly, nature-loving, Oregonian culture of both Ducks and Beavs. 

And yet, the platypus trophy keeps getting "lost." 😄  Someone doesn't want it found, either, I suspect. Have to say, I'm not a fan of the platypus trophy or name for the game.

• Haha 1

Dawson Jamarillo doesn't understand why everyone doesn't love the Mullet...

Dawson Jaramillo, Oregon, Offensive Tackle

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/26/2022 at 7:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think think in the long run it will be called 'the civil war'

ABC even calls it the Civil War. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’ve got a new name for it: “Fiasco”!

• Thumbs Up 1