Pennsylvania Duck

Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham Becomes Arizona State HC-- It's OFFICIAL

Just minutes after No. 9 Oregon's upset loss to No. 21 Oregon State, the Ducks have reportedly lost its offensive coordinator.

According to The Athletic's Bruce Feldman, ESPN's Pete Thamel, and Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger,

Oregon offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham is finalizing a deal to become Arizona State's next head coach.

247SPORTS.COM

Just minutes after No. 9 Oregon's upset loss to No. 21 Oregon State, the Ducks have reportedly lost its offensive...

This probably helps explain why the offense has been unfocused and inconsistent throughout the game.

Play calling was somewhat pedestrian also.

• Like 1

This was beyond predictable. 

Seems like the deal was finalized at halftime. 

Kick a program when it's down, why don't you?

Good riddance. The jet sweep hasn't worked all season and yet he calls two of them within the same set of downs.  The first one got blown up, so two plays later on 3rd and long, he tries it in the opposite direction.

In the first half, I was hollering at the offense to throw a screen.  When he finally does and Cota makes big run to pick up first down, Dilly started going back to the well one too many times.

It's obvious that Nix's ability to successfully run the ball and convert on 4th down, masked a lot of DL's and KD's shortcomings as play callers and coaches.  Without a true dual threat QB, you can't trust these coaches to win the game.

Dilly is good but he isn't the UO offensive coaching staff. He's not a fully stocked offensive personnel group. He's not a nationally recognized recruiting brand. The UO is all of these things and they won't travel with him. Have fun diving into the dumpster fire.

We in desperate need of continuity.  

This is somewhat disappointing.

• Applause 1

5 unanswered questions for Oregon Ducks with OC Kenny Dillingham leaving for ASU

While it will be great to see Dillingham land in a nice position with a chance to grow Dan Lanning’s coaching tree,

the departure leaves a lot of unanswered questions for the Ducks.

• Where do they go from here?
  • What are the ramifications of the move?
  • How will this impact recruiting?

Let’s try our best to answer some of those questions.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Kenny Dillingham is heading to ASU. How does that impact 5-star QB Dante Moore? What about Bo Nix? Who is the next OC at...

On 11/26/2022 at 6:27 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

5 unanswered questions for Oregon Ducks with OC Kenny Dillingham leaving for ASU

While it will be great to see Dillingham land in a nice position with a chance to grow Dan Lanning’s coaching tree,

the departure leaves a lot of unanswered questions for the Ducks.

• Where do they go from here?
  • What are the ramifications of the move?
  • How will this impact recruiting?

Let’s try our best to answer some of those questions.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Kenny Dillingham is heading to ASU. How does that impact 5-star QB Dante Moore? What about Bo Nix? Who is the next OC at...

I will go on the record early.  Perhaps a seasoned, experienced OC would help this staff immensely.  An adult in the room as it were, we could have used one today..

On another note a brief glimpse of the in game interaction between Lanning and Lupoi appeared strained.  Really curious how that relationship is working.

I think a healthy Bo Nix can make an OC look better than they may actually be. Not saying KD isn't good but having a QB playing NFL ready does tend to make you look smart. Ducks will find somebody good and as McDuck said maybe one with more experience that can help DL with game management situations.

On 11/26/2022 at 9:00 PM, cartm25 said:

Given this is Dilly’s system, and he likely had the biggest say in the offensive staff, I’d bet this IS his staff.

I agree with you about the brand, he doesn’t get to take that with him.

However, the fully stocked offensive personnel from the 2023 class may decide to travel with him, at least in part.

If Uncle Phil considers it his staff, there will be plenty of incentive to stay.

On 11/26/2022 at 9:00 PM, cartm25 said:

However, the fully stocked offensive personnel from the 2023 class may decide to travel with him, at least in part.

Possibly some. But, I do not picture any ELETE players wanting to go to a complete rebuild like ASU.

On 11/26/2022 at 9:22 PM, cartm25 said:

But many in the OBD Forum thought USC was a rebuild and didn’t have the same aura,

ASU will never have the same draw as USC.

Dilly just had his first year of calling plays. Riley has lead OU to the playoffs and several Big 12 championships. Most of his also staff came with him to USC. Big difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 9:47 PM, cartm25 said:

Neither does UW, but they got the right guy and now they are beating UO and competing for P12 championships.

Just pointing out that turn-arounds can happen quickly, even in less than a year.

I agree with that. I was specifically talking about recruits following Dilly to ASU. I do not really see that being an issue in this recruiting cycle. I feel Dilly will need to prove himself at ASU in order to steal recruits from more established programs like USC,UO, UU, or UW.

Dilly can't refuse this offer. Nobody would in his position. I don't think it will go well for KD. He is probably better off long term staying where he is at a couple years. 

But how do you turn that down? 3 year contract is life changing money. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's the perfect situation for Dilly. He's going to be able to take a program in disarray and build it up pretty easily imo. ASU has an appeal with young people you have 4 pro sports team within spitting distance and the fall winter weather is spectacular for young people. There will be players that follow him no doubt. Just reality

Sun Devil Football Announces Kenny Dillingham as Head Coach

Arizona State University is ushering in a new era of Sun Devil Football, naming alumnus Kenny Dillingham as the 26th head coach

of the program, as announced by Vice President of University Athletics Ray Anderson and University President Dr. Michael Crow.

The hire is pending approval by the Arizona Board of Regents.

ADMIN.THESUNDEVILS.COM

Arizona State University is ushering in a new era of Sun Devil Football, naming alumnus Kenny Dillingham as the 26th head...

Are we going to now mock Dillingham the way we do Cristobal? 😆

On 11/27/2022 at 11:49 AM, jrw said:

It's fair game according to FishDuck rules!

On 11/27/2022 at 9:22 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Message from Coach Lanning...

That's the calmed down version. Guessing the initial reaction was different.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thats just all Blah blah blah and expected polite speak.

On 11/26/2022 at 11:43 PM, Log Haulin said:

Dilly can't refuse this offer. Nobody would in his position. I don't think it will go well for KD. He is probably better off long term staying where he is at a couple years.

I agree that this opportunity would be risky for KD to turn down.  What does KD's offense look like next year without Bo taking snaps?  How long would Arizona St sit on a bad hire for KD to get his next shot at the job?  Then there's the risk that Arizona St made a good hire and KD would NEVER get a shot at his dream job.

I wish him luck in the position, he did pretty well for Oregon in his only year both recruiting and developing the offense.  Would you have rather have had another year of MC's offense? 

I don't have any sour grapes about coaches or players leaving teams, it's how the game is and it would significantly hamper my enjoyment of the game if I focused on how the game isn't leather helmets and cigar smoking coaches anymore.

My concern is focused on coach Klemm.  I REALLY hope DL hires coach Klemm as the new offensive coordinator.  The concern is coach Klemm has never called plays but if he doesn't get the job I think we will lose coach Klemm.

I think we WILL lose coach Adams unfortunately if he doesn't get the OC job.  I think it's a choice between Adams and Klemm and I think Klemm is the better choice but I absolutely could be wrong.

The other obvious option is to hire an experienced play caller but I think we would lose Klemm and Adams in that scenario and that's a pretty big blow to continuity.

It really would have been nice to keep the staff together but it's pretty unrealistic honestly as coaches want to develop and get their shot at the top jobs and that is just how it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dilly won't have a bunch of 4/5 stars making his offense look great. He won't have a top notch group of assistants coaching up position groups. He won't have a bunch of 4/5 star recruits beating down the door until he shows results. He won't have a national brand to market to 4/5 star recruits.

He will be at a lower tier team at a time when the upper half of the conference are all legit top 25 teams. He will be at a school that will have an unknown amount of sanctions heading it's way. He will have a three year contract meaning he's got two years until the hot seat fires up.

All in all, I'd say he just made a huge career mistake.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds like he was outta there right after the game yesterday for Tempe

On 11/27/2022 at 8:51 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

It's fair game according to FishDuck rules!

It's true.

I'm Ready for More!

giphy.gif

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/27/2022 at 10:20 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Sounds like he was outta there right after the game yesterday for Tempe

Felt to me like like he was outa there before the third quarter ended…

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/26/2022 at 6:59 PM, LADuck said:

I think a healthy Bo Nix can make an OC look better than they may actually be. Not saying KD isn't good but having a QB playing NFL ready does tend to make you look smart. Ducks will find somebody good and as McDuck said maybe one with more experience that can help DL with game management situations.

Reminds me a LOT of a QB named Herbert when paired with an OC named Arroyo..who is having a less than stellar career at UNLV.  I believe his record is like 7-23.

• Oh no! 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:47 AM, PittDuck said:

Felt to me like like he was outa there before the third quarter ended…

It would sure be nice to finish a season with coaches focused on finishing the season. Two years in a row we squander a Pac Championship opportunity with a coach with one foot out the door.

• Great post! 1
  • Like 2

I'm to old to remember all the recent year end coaching turmoil. 

Don Pellum demoted, Brady Hoke hired.  Somebody else on staff must had departed.

Helfrich fired, entire staff replaced.

Slick Willie gives Oregon the tomahawk chop.  Did anybody go with him?

Jim Leavitt fired.

Andy Avalos resigns (or forced out).

Marcus Arroyo resigns.

Mario Cristobal resigns, entire staff departs.

Kenny Dillingham resigns.

I count at least 28 departures since the start of 2016 and the musical chairs season hasn't even started for this year.   

Who am I missing over the last six or seven years?

• Yikes! 1

WATCH: Kenny Dillingham gets emotional when introduced as new ASU head coach, "I'm home."

PAC-12.COM

New Arizona State head football coach Kenny Dillingham got emotional during his introductory press conference. The ASU...

There has been some nervousness about loosing recruits over this.

Did a little research and found this list of top 25 recruiters in the pack 12

#1 Adams 

#2 Martin

#4 Lupoi

#11 Klem

#23 Prowledge

All Ducks

No mention of Lanning or Dillingham.

My point is I can see loosing some players to transfer, ones looking for playing time, to ASU going with Dilly but I don’t see a mass exodus of recruits. 

I’m confident DL knew this was coming and already has his list of replacements.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:18 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

WATCH: Kenny Dillingham gets emotional when introduced as new ASU head coach, "I'm home."

PAC-12.COM

New Arizona State head football coach Kenny Dillingham got emotional during his introductory press conference. The ASU...

I only watched the first little bit but he may have made his decision with his heart rather than his head.  I've done that a few times although I don't remember any that worked out that well.

• Thumbs Up 1

As for recruits...I don't see any leaving their position coach who recruited them such as Klemm or Adams, thus the only one I worry about is Dante Moore.  Yet he is the one who has the most potential to step in and I think he sees that.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/27/2022 at 6:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

As for recruits...I don't see any leaving their position coach who recruited them such as Klemm or Adams, thus the only one I worry about is Dante Moore.  Yet he is the one who has the most potential to step in and I think he sees that.

Dante to Dilly on joining him in the ASU dumpster fire:I would do anything for love, but I won't do that.

• Haha 2

Perhaps Oregon should consider hiring a replacement for Dillingham from someone who's just be fired somewhere else.  At least we might have a chance of keeping that person more than one season.  How are these constant turnovers good for any team?

Edited by Mic

On 11/27/2022 at 8:49 AM, jrw said:

This is the same question I asked this forum earlier and the answer I gave was "no thanks".  I want no part of it.  I'm no fan of Mario C and am glad he's elsewhere but this constant ragging on him, a former Duck, was/is wearing a might thin.  If this squabbling turns on Dilly (whom we all wish was still a Duck) then count me out.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:12 AM, cartm25 said:

IMO, the loss can be put squarely at the feet of the special teams and defense.

But I'm just glad our head coach is a defensive genius, as evidenced by how we handled Eastern Washington & Colorado. 

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:34 PM, cartm25 said:

Why? Dilly was extremely successful. The Ducks’ offense began scoring ~40 ppg again and was one of the most efficient offenses in Oregon football history.

MC is so fun to ridicule because he talked such a “big game” but led incredible talent to severely underperform…and still doing that at Miami, haha

Dilly with a healthy Bo vs Dilly without Bo was night and day.

Dilly getting on a private jet just minutes after a horrible loss due to crappy play calling instead of "being there" for the team just stinks.

I understand why folks have reason to like him, but his lack of awareness of others is evident to me.

Good riddance.

The only Kenny in my book is Kenny Wheaton.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kenny Dillingham leaving for Arizona State is a big blow to Oregon 

Oregon offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham was named the next head coach for the Arizona State Sun Devils.

This was expected by some as it has been in the works for several weeks.

Dillingham joined the Ducks this year along with head coach Dan Lanning. He has been instrumental in creating

and building an offense in Eugene that has not been seen in several years.

AUTZENZOO.COM

On Sunday, it was announced that Oregon offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham was named the next head coach for the Arizona...

KD meant nothing to the football program at Oregon. Oregon will succeed or fail but not because of him.