Pennsylvania Duck

Hate To See This--Duck Player Punches Beaver Fan After Game (Video)

The huge loss became a footnote as one player on the Ducks was caught

on camera striking a fan who came out on the field to celebrate.

WWW.TOTALPROSPORTS.COM

Oregon Ducks senior player DJ Johnson was caught on camera punching an opposing fan in the back of the head after game

I noticed some OSU fans in the face of another Oregon player when they stormed the field. I was worried he might react to the very obvious taunting.

Doesn't excuse DJ's reported actions

On 11/26/2022 at 6:35 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

The huge loss become a footnote as one player on the Ducks was caught

on camera striking a fan who came out on the field to celebrate.

WWW.TOTALPROSPORTS.COM

Oregon Ducks senior player DJ Johnson was caught on camera punching an opposing fan in the back of the head after game

Wow... this loss just gets worse by the minute. 

• Yikes! 1

On 11/26/2022 at 6:39 PM, McDuck said:

I noticed some OSU fans in the face of another Oregon player when they stormed the field. I was worried he might react to the very obvious taunting.

Doesn't excuse DJ's reported actions

I'm just glad Oregon fans never behave like that. 😉

Lanning losing control?

Well, this season's ending has certainly been tarnished, in all sorts of ways.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:45 PM, Log Haulin said:

Lanning losing control?

Yeah, he's got some 'splainin to do. About a few things.

“If you don’t want to get hit then don’t do things to make people want to hit you.”

— Byron Hout

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This has eerie similarity to another first time head coach.  I think we will find out rather quickly what Dan Lanning is made of.

• Thumbs Up 1

Immediate dismissal 

Yes..can't be punching the fans! Too bad ... just came unglued for a minute and tough way to end your career as a Duck.

On 11/26/2022 at 6:08 PM, Lrod said:

Immediate dismissal 

Let's get all the facts, more than a 10 second video clip.  As posted earlier I saw an Oregon player in the middle of the OSU fans rushing the field.  At least one of the orange clad group was screaming at the Duck player and following him as he tried to exit.  

Not an excuse but I believe we need to know more.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

When those who aren’t meant to be in the arena enter the arena and arena-like things happen to them then they should remember why they have assigned seats instead of sideline passes. 

This may not be a completely popular opinion.

< usually not a good way to start a post >

So, I will first say in no way are the actions of the player acceptable.

But.. it was the comedian Bill Burr who said, "Do you know how absolutely obnoxious I would be without the threat of being punched in the face?"

Rushing the field seem (for a few) to be a signal to some that rules of normal social interaction are suspended.

If you watch the video, the Beav fan walks by and appears to put his hand in the Ducks players face, and makes some kind of comment directly to him. My guess it wasn't "You played a great game thanks for coming."

People rarely walk past an upset random individual and put their hand in their face and make a derogatory comment directed at them in regular society.

Rushing the field creates an artificial environment where people think they are allowed to behave differently and I'm surprised we don't see it more often. I believe there was a similar incident after the Alabama/Tennessee game. College football allows for such an environment yet appears stunned when there is an incident.

I will again say as a player you absolutely can't do that. Part of playing the game is accepting the outcome and fans are going to be fans. But just as their is a penalty for a violent response, I wish maybe we could add a small penalty for stupid as well?

You taunt a disappointed and possibly upset 6-5 270 pound individual who can run a 4.7 and bench 400 pounds and plays defensive line -- essentially fighting -- as his gig? After he has just spent 3 and 1/2 hours in a contest that is nothing but physical contact? Why not wait until an MMA fighter is exiting the arena after a loss and go up and slap the Gatorade cup right out of his hands while telling him how poorly he performed?

You are kind of choosing to roll the dice yourself.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

My opinion may be out in left field and doesn't just relate to this game or the Ducks but rushing the field after the game should come with the same risk expectation as running with the bulls in Spain.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 6:47 PM, AnotherOD said:

You are kind of choosing to roll the dice yourself.

Wrong.  You knew what the deal was when you signed up as a college football player.  You get nearly two million dollars in benefits the rest of us never get, as well as being incredibly athletically gifted as so many would love to be.

He should be dismissed and sent away immediately.  Have others pack his stuff and deliver it.  There has been so much showboating and nonsense--there has to be an end to it.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Agree. Bottom line you can not hit the fans! Say whatever you want to them but don't punch em. Sorry it happened and get that people lose their temper but as a coach you can't let that go by without severe punishment.

Edited by LADuck

fans who enter the field of play deserve whatever they are given. 

period. 

• Thumbs Up 1

And if you do hit one of the fans you probably know the consequences are not going to be good. Guess we all make choices in life.

Tennesse was fined $100,000 for allowing their fans storm to the field. OSU should be fined. 

My favorite player should have consequences too. I was actually surprised there wasn't more trouble with what I saw being said by the fans. There is a reason the fans need to stay off the field!

Don't really know what went on off the short video. Hard to cast judgment with so little information. 

There is a reason schools get fined when fans storm the field. Puts players in a tough spot. Risky.

Add that opposing fans of Ducks love Duck loses more than their own teams wins. They are rabid in their Duck hatred. it becomes a threat with those fans on the field after a "spicey" loss.

Wouldn't be surprised if the fan struck first.

Guessing the fan did not punch him first but who knows. I am no lawyer but think if I am walking down the street and somebody passes me and says something I don't like I am not allowed to punch them. Could be wrong but believe that is assault. 

It is a rule in all of college football.  Fans have to give teams 5 minutes to leave the field.  This isn't the first time a fan and a player interacted after a game this season.

This puts players in dangerous situations.   Thousands vs 85-100.  If you don't give a wide birth, you are on the field at your own risk.  

Guess both are at risk. Fan could get punched for saying something inappropriate and player could get suspended for not being able to control temper. 

If you step on the field of play and you have no business being there I have no sympathy. Don't provoke a player after the game. I support DJ.  

Edited by Flybywire
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/26/2022 at 9:19 PM, LADuck said:

Guessing the fan did not punch him first but who knows. I am no lawyer but think if I am walking down the street and somebody passes me and says something I don't like I am not allowed to punch them. Could be wrong but believe that is assault. 

The fan put his hands on DJ's Facemask. They were not in the stands which is the fan designated section. The field of play is for the coaches and players. If fan's can't behave on the field of play then they should not be there in the first place. 

Edited by Flybywire
  • Thumbs Up 3

I agree with Fly. DJ was put in a tough spot. I do know that if someone grabs my face, I most likely start swinging. Instinctively I would remove any perceived threat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 7:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Wrong.  You knew what the deal was when you signed up as a college football player.  You get nearly two million dollars in benefits the rest of us never get, as well as being incredibly athletically gifted as so many would love to be.

I agree that college football players get a lot of benefits.

But is being taunted, cursed, and belittled by mob seconds after a game part of the deal?

I would say unless players specifically agree to receive this specific sort of abuse as part of their compensation, it actually is not part of their compensation.

If I agree to work as a cashier at a store, am I agreeing to be cursed, belittled, or taunted by any customer that decides to? I mean I am getting a wage right?

Am I expected to stand there helplessly if the crazy comes around the counter and gets in my face? I am sure the first thought is the situations are different, but are they really that different? Both take place inside a society with expected simple rules of behavior.

It goes to the right to be treated with at least a modicum of dignity by the people whom the individuals actually just performed a job, or in this case a sporting event (for their entertainment).

Probably 99% of fans who rush the field understand that. I don't feel any need to apologize for the crazy 1% who make the choice to cross the line, and behave in a manner outside of what is reasonably expected.

Do NBA millionaires get rushed and insulted on the court a minute after the game by drunk and surly fans? Baseball players? NFL players? They certainly are nicely compensated and abuse by an unruly mob on the field or court doesn't appear to be in their contracts. Yes fans in the stands. Not on the court or on the field.

No one is suggesting the player should have resorted to violence.

In terms of doing risky thing more often having consequences than not doing risky things, sure, "deciding to roll the dice".

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/26/2022 at 8:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He should be dismissed and sent away immediately.  Have others pack his stuff and deliver it.  There has been so much showboating and nonsense--there has to be an end to it.

That was the same sentiment felt when Blount was provoked by Hout. Everyone wanted him kicked off the team. Chip knew better.

• Thumbs Up 1

The player has to operate at a higher level than the crazy that confronts him.  Do not stoop to his level, you turn and walk away, and that actually does the most damage, because the crazy wants some kind of reaction.

We will disagree, and that’s fine. In the end, it is Lanning, who will use his judgment in this matter.

Whoops!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am also interested in the fine OSU gets for letting fans on the field. If the beav program gets a free pass then the Pac-12 needs new leadership.

This is a test for Lanning, and I am sure he will do just fine. He has these young mens best interest in mind, and under great guidance.

This is also a player who has been a great team player, just made a big mistake. Not his first time losing his temper, once against WSU if I remember correctly. Does anyone remember what happened in that situation? Seems like Dan was going to review that one and deal with it internally?

This is also a test of the Pac-12 and their leadership. I am not so sure about that leadership, we will see.

Edited by Haywarduck

Perhaps you can see a little more in this video...

You don't get to punch fans for getting in your grill and saying mean things... not without usually receiving major repercussions.

But if the clown-fan laid his hand on Johnson first, then it's a bit of different ballgame, at least from a legal perspective. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Years ago, I had a co-worker who got pulled into jury duty.  Her case involved a Black guy who went to a bar.  He was having a beer, minding his own business, when another couple of guys started hassling him for no reason.  Witnesses said it was obviously racially motivated, including repeated use of the N word.  The guy lost his cool and punched one guy.

My co-worker was upset that the jury had no choice but to convict him of assault.  No matter what awful things were said verbally, the guy answered physically, which is a step up in seriousness.  Although the instigators' behavior was shameful, he had no right to escalate it to a physical confrontation.

I see the same thing here.  If the fan said something, maybe he should be barred from future games.  Maybe OSU should be fined for allowing fans on the field.  But unless the fan was the physical aggressor, the player had no right to turn a verbal altercation into a physical altercation.  And even if the fan did touch or grab his facemask, as I've seen suggested, a punch to the head is an escalation of the force used in the physical contact.

I'm guessing he doesn't play in the bowl game - not much more the team can do to him, unless the school itself wants to step in and take away his diploma or his right to be in the graduation ceremony (if he's graduating), or kick him out of school.  Dismissal is an option, but other than continued pre-draft support (e.g. participating in the pro day, continuing to work out and practice), I'm not sure what difference it will make to a guy with one game left in his college career.

Understandable reaction, but not an acceptable reaction.  There's a big difference.

Taunting in a game is a penalty. Taunting a losing player on the field after a game is stupid. I say offsetting penalties. 

On 11/26/2022 at 7:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He should be dismissed and sent away immediately.

I think that's kind of harsh.  The five minute rule for fans coming down to the field is meant to prevent this stuff.  I've been in situations where I lost my temper when someone behaved badly at an inopportune time and I'm thankful those moments didn't destroy my life.

I agree with you he was wrong and he absolutely should be punished but I don't think summarily dismissing him from the team is the only right call.  He's a senior so he's not going to play another season, suspending him from the  bowl game is taking away his last game as a Duck and as a CFB player.  

Discipline tempered with mercy is usually the right call in my experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

He's a senior so he's not going to play another season, suspending him from the  bowl game is taking away his last game as a Duck and as a CFB player.  

So...what else do you do?  What message are you sending to the team and the public if you do nothing? 

If he was not a senior--I'd say suspend him for the bowl game and start anew in spring.  No such option here, and I think the public metrics are more important at this point than his feelings.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck