jrw

Ducks in Disarray Again?

Another season is coming and end with bad losses, coaches leaving, players undisciplined and unfocused, poor coaching decisions, unhappy fans.

After Taggart and Cristobal, I was hoping for some continuity and positivity, which we saw for most of the season. But now, maybe not?

Is this just the new normal in college football?

On 11/26/2022 at 6:15 PM, jrw said:

Another season is coming and end with bad losses, coaches leaving, players undisciplined and unfocused, poor coaching decisions, unhappy fans.

After Taggart and Cristobal, I was hoping for some continuity and positivity, which we saw for most of the season. But now, maybe not?

We lost two games we should have won against good top 25 teams by a combined 7 points. That's a far cry from the two Utah losses last year.

We have tons of talent on the roster and will have a good class coming in.

I'm not seeing the disarray from the perspective I seeing.. reason to be frustrated yes, disarray no

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 11/26/2022 at 6:20 PM, DazeNconfused said:

We lost two games we should have won against good top 25 teams by a combined 7 points. That's a far cry from the two Utah losses last year.

We have tons of talent on the roster and will have a good class coming in.

I'm not seeing the disarray from the perspective I seeing.. reason to be frustrated yes, disarray no

Good, talk me off the ledge.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think we got way more out of this year then most of us thought we would when the year began. 

We have at least one more game and maybe two. 

The future is very bright and while this was a disappointing loss I'm incredibly excited about the future! 

Go Ducks!!!!

• Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 6:22 PM, jrw said:

Good, talk me off the ledge.

Our OC did a good job and the result is other teams will come after him - part of football. 

Lanning made some goofs this year - if he is good he will learn. 

If I was his mentor I'd tell him stick to the process - learn from mistakes and weakness and get better there. He is a first year coach who is in school learning how to be an head coach. Ya he has gotten my goat with some calls - but he has 11 games under his belt and went 9-3. 

Lanning could be 11-1 if he didn't beat himself - it cost us for him to go to school and learn, an education isn't cheap

• Great post! 1

One of the youngest coaching staffs ever assembled coaching one of the youngest teams in the country was just a few plays away from rising from the ashes of last year to the playoffs this year. The coaches will learn. The players will grow up. The recruits will see the trajectory. It's still heading in the right direction.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/26/2022 at 6:30 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

One of the youngest coaching staffs ever assembled coaching one of the youngest teams in the country was just a few plays away from rising from the ashes of last year to the playoffs this year. The coaches will learn. The players will grow up. The recruits will see the trajectory. It's still heading in the right direction.

Well said Kamikaze Kid, well said! 

Blowing a big lead never happened under Chip. Helfrich, Mario and now Lanning have choked away big leads. It’s not disarray, it’s football. The Chip era was an anomaly. 

Yeah, we got spoiled during the Chip Kelly era. But also remember that Chip's HC gig started out with a loss to Boise State and the infamous Blount punch and all kinds of associated criticism - the rest of Kelly's gig were some of the best years for Duck football ever.

If DL and the assistants who are sticking with the Ducks assess what they did right and what they need to change, and learn, we'll be ok.

Each era brought high points of their own - Taggart laying the foundation to recruiting blue-chip talent to Eugene, MC coaching the Ducks to their first victory ever over tOSU and winning a Rose Bowl, and so on. Can't wait to see what the DL era will bring to Eugene.

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Maybe I’m psycho but is this the worst defense in Oregon modern history or does it just seem like it. Dye was a far better linebacker than what we have now.

Edited by Just Ducky

On 11/26/2022 at 7:45 PM, Just Ducky said:

Maybe I’m psycho but is this the worst defense in Oregon modern history or does it just seem like it. Dye was a far better linebacker than what we have now.

Ironically, Dye was a freshman on possibly the worst D in Duck history.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 7:45 PM, Just Ducky said:

Maybe I’m psycho but is this the worst defense in Oregon modern history or does it just seem like it?

While I would enjoy saying you're psycho, I won't.  But your observation about the defense is close, IMHO.  This defense has badly underperformed the experience and talent, IMHO.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Too much Lanning hammering.  Yeah, some moves were bold..  Ill take it for the most part.  One thing I dont want coach Lanning to do is second guess himself next year.  If he feels a 4th down is worth going for, go...  After enduring Cristobal, Im glad we have Lanning.  

This team wasnt a playoff team..  it has holes.  Compare Georgia D line to this one.  Im confident he will transform the trenches

Good luck to Dilly.. hate he is leaving, butbhe sure restored the offensive feeling.  Bo getting hurt changed the way we could attack teams

• Thumbs Up 3

I hate to say it but the Ducks are becoming well known for pulling defeat out of the jaws of victory. Between TCU, Stanford (2018, 2021), Oregon State (2020, 2022), Auburn (2019), and this year’s Washington game Oregon has failed to put teams away when they were clearly the more dominant team. 

I think every team is just organized disarray. What we saw was some of that organization coming apart. 

I would also say Lanning is becoming head coach at Oregon at a time when the head coaches at our rivals have been upgraded in a major way. One team has an amazing qb, and the other just one of those teams they will have every 4-5 years. Bottomline each rival is going to be a major hurdle each year, not just an easy win.

It should be fun to watch how Lanning deals with this chaos, his first really big challenge. What will he do about the defense? Also what will he do about Dilly leaving, and in my opinion Dilly's distraction from the program? The player discipline is minor, but another hurdle, and unfortunate, for a player who did so much, really anything, for Oregon during his time here.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 7:28 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Lanning could be 11-1 if he didn't beat himself - it cost us for him to go to school and learn, an education isn't cheap

You nailed it here. We need to remember that he is a young coach, and his education is going to cost us at some critical moments. 

But hopefully he is coachable and teachable and willing to learn. If he is, we should have a fun ride with him over the next few years.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:18 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I hate to say it but the Ducks are becoming well known for pulling defeat out of the jaws of victory. Between TCU, Stanford (2018, 2021), Oregon State (2020, 2022), Auburn (2019), and this year’s Washington game Oregon has failed to put teams away when they were clearly the more dominant team. 

I really feel we are becoming more well known for losing a game or two each year to a team we should have beaten.

it feels like every year we drop one or two to a team that is inferior (either roster or W/L record) that we had no business losing to.

Great Teams win the games they are supposed to.  Oregon is not a Great Team yet.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 7:34 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Blowing a big lead never happened under Chip. Helfrich, Mario and now Lanning have choked away big leads. It’s not disarray, it’s football. The Chip era was an anomaly. 

And Chip has thrown away a big lead while at UCLA ... Talk to WSU about that one. 

Lanning is a first year head coach and has made some blunders. I think it would have been different with a healthy Nix but that's not the way it is.

Lots of lessons to be learned here and he just needs to show he's learned them. Big OC hire coming up. Then I would also say he has some big things to consider on the defensive side of the ball. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2022 at 11:16 AM, PittDuck said:

it feels like every year we drop one or two to a team that is inferior (either roster or W/L record) that we had no business losing to.

I think that's been true in the recent past, but losing to uw and osu this year, not so much. They both have winning records, 10-2 and 9-3. Different than losing, in the past, to a 3-9 Stanford team last year or to a 1-3 Cal team (2020).

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2022 at 1:27 PM, Annie said:

I think that's been true in the recent past, but losing to uw and osu this year, not so much. They both have winning records, 10-2 and 9-3. Different than losing, in the past, to a 3-9 Stanford team last year or to a 1-3 Cal team (2020).

I agree.

The Huskies and beavers weren't inferior opponents this year and they proved it. 

Lanning and co were out coaches in both games, especially defensively. DeBore and Smith are moth far more experienced head coaches and they are both incredibly smart and they took advantage of some of Lanning's rookie mistakes. 

Also... A healthy Nix would have won both games which also shows just how fragile this Oregon team is. Our defense wasn't going to win many games on their own and needed the offense the carry. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/27/2022 at 1:44 PM, David Marsh said:

Also... A healthy Nix would have won both games which also shows just how fragile this Oregon team is. Our defense wasn't going to win many games on their own and needed the offense the carry. 

Yes, this!

I wonder how much depth, injury, and fatigue had to do with results. Almost all points were scored in 4th quarter. Lanning keeps injuries secret so we have no idea how banged up is/was the defense. 

• Applause 1

On 11/26/2022 at 6:15 PM, jrw said:

I feel your pain.  And it always seems like we're always going to be on the cusp, only to be forsaken.

Winning a Natty is harder than winning a Super Bowl in my eyes. 

Despite the hard landing, we did better than I expected after watching Georgia mop us up like the dirtiest of floors.

Think of it like this, our defense was worst than the Oregon defenses of the seventies at times, and we still were lucky bounces away from reaching the playoffs. 

Every year is going to feel like this.  Until we win a Natty.  Then the angst and fear will start all over again (but it sure would be nice to have a Natty lol).