Annie

Radio Coverage Ahead of TV Coverage

I know that radio is usually a few seconds ahead of the TV in the games, but I had the radio on in the bedroom and when I went back out into the living room the TV coverage was still behind by about 30 seconds. I know they had some power supply problems in Corvallis and at the stadium, so maybe that was it, but I'm sure the time difference is usually not that much.

Annie,

I don't know if this is the answer, but I know that TV is more conservative and careful than radio and what you might be hearing is a 30 second delay put on the TV broadcast as a safeguard to allow a last second edit in case something might get on aIr that was not supposed to be there.  Example, some unruly, perhaps intoxicated fan yelling something obscene that the audio equipment picks up.  If that were to happen, the TV engineers could edit it out and the audience would never know.

Just a thought

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2022 at 10:30 PM, Joe F said:

Annie,

I don't know if this is the answer, but I know that TV is more conservative and careful than radio and what you might be hearing is a 30 second delay put on the TV broadcast as a safeguard to allow a last second edit in case something might get on aIr that was not supposed to be there.  Example, some unruly, perhaps intoxicated fan yelling something obscene that the audio equipment picks up.  If that were to happen, the TV engineers could edit it out and the audience would never know.

Just a thought

Could be. I was just surprised at how long the delay was, at least in this instance. I walked from one end of the house where the radio was on to the other end of the house where the TV was on, and the TV was still behind quite a bit. If there had been anyone else in the room at the moment I could have looked like a genius in "predicting" what would happen on the next play. 😉