FishDuck Article

Despite OSU Loss, Oregon Football’s Future is Bright

If you’re like me, you don’t need a rehashing of the No. 9 Oregon Ducks‘ soul-crushing 38-34 loss to the Beavers on Saturday night at Reser Stadium. I’m not going to harp on the risky coaching decisions that paved the way for a loss. And there is no sense pointing out DJ Johnson‘s apparent sucker punch...

FISHDUCK.COM

If you're like me, you don't need a rehashing of the No. 9 Oregon Ducks' soul-crushing 38-34 loss to the Beavers on Saturday night at Reser...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Disappointing end to the reg season for sure. Another year of wondering what would of happened if our QB didn't get hurt. The defense never really improved the whole year, the Ducks lost to both their rivals when they shouldn't have and of course there were bad decisions from the coaching staff and now the OC has left the building. Seems pretty bleek right? Not from where I sit.

We all knew that Lanning would go through some growing pains. The fact that this team was sniffing around the CFP is great sign that he was a great hire. Still believe that. Stop with the fire Lanning nonsense. And yes he was hyper aggressive but I would take that over the last 5 years of prevent offense from Mario everyday of the week even with the losses. He just needs to learn to pick his spots better. Would you rather be in South Florida or Eugene right now?

To me if Oregon can improve the defensive side of the ball they will be lights out. That's what cost them the last 2 losses. If the defensive recruits stick I believe Lanning will get them there. In 2 years we will look back on this time and be reminded that it's always darkest before the dawn. As for Dilly, don't let the door hit you. I'm sure coach will find the right guy.

Hang in there Duck fans! Great things are coming if we stay the course! 

Go Ducks!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have been saying we are in the honeymoon period for a while. Lanning could do no wrong, and he brought back so much we had missed so dearly, longed for really.

We could beat teams we were suppose too. The offense scored over 40 per game, the downfield pass was resurrected. Many were enamored with the trick play happening, once again! There wasn't havoc on defense, but we won with something familiar, the prevent defense, but the prevent offense is just a distant nightmare.

These losses are like when the honeymoon is over and the significant other farts for the first time. 'You mean you aren't perfect?'  

We had forgotten we hired a coach who had only been head coach of a third grade basketball team, although he said they were, 'damn good.' He was bound to have these bumps in the road as he becomes more than a guy who had coached a bunch of third graders.

I was thrilled he could beat BYU, pull of a win in Pullman, and reach so many other metrics we knew were part of Oregon's DNA. I do get it, beating the dawgs and the beavs are critical elements of Oregon's makeup too. Dan has to work on that and some other things. 

The big thing is he just stumbled, but he is ours, and hopefully we will stay his as long as possible. We recently found out Dan Lanning is human, but as you stated, the future is bright, just not a honeymoon forever, but what is.

Edited by Haywarduck
suffix
  • Thumbs Up 3

I do have some concerns about Oregon next year and going forward.  It seems to me, the whole success of this years team was on the back of Bo Nix.  It will be pretty hard to replicate his arm, legs, and football intelligence.  We've seen the results of not having him play, or play hurt.  It's not pretty.

Dillingham did a great job play calling for the most part this year.  He was very imaginative, and adjusted well to game situations.  Can we find someone that is equally as dynamic and football smart?

With Dillingham leaving, what will happen to our recruiting class?  Do we loose our 5 star QB and receiver?  What current players follow him?  I assume it would be ones not getting enough playing time, like maybe Thompson or Dollars.  But finding a comparable replacement for Bo is imperative.

Does the ending to this season tarnish the Oregon brand as far as the national audience and potential recruits are concerned ?  We're a well known team at present, but at some point, we need to deliver the goods to stay relevant.

What will happen to Oregon in conference realignment?  Will we stay as a top team in a very weakened Pac 10 ?  Will we be swallowed up in the Big 10?  Where do we land and how will it affect us?

While I'm sure these concerns I have can be overcome, I'm just not as optimistic as I'd like to be.  I think Lanning is great and I love the more aggressive and unpredictable offense, but there is a lot to solve before next year.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2022 at 7:50 AM, 47sgs said:

I do have some concerns about Oregon next year and going forward.  It seems to me, the whole success of this years team was on the back of Bo Nix.  It will be pretty hard to replicate his arm, legs, and football intelligence.  We've seen the results of not having him play, or play hurt.  It's not pretty.

Dillingham did a great job play calling for the most part this year.  He was very imaginative, and adjusted well to game situations.  Can we find someone that is equally as dynamic and football smart?

With Dillingham leaving, what will happen to our recruitng class?  Do we loose our 5 star QB and receiver?  What current players follow him?  I assume it would be ones not getting enough playing time, like maybe Thompson or Dollars.  But finding a comparable replacement for Bo is imperative.

Does the ending to this season tarnish the Oregon brand as far as the national audience and potential recruits are concerned ?  We're a well known team at present, but at some point, we need to deliver the goods to stay relevant.

What will happen to Oregon in conference realignment?  Will we stay as a top team in a very weakened Pac 10 ?  Will we be swallowed up in the Big 10?  Where do we land and how will it affect us?

Whle I'm sure these concerns I have can be overcome, I'm just not as optomistic as I'd like to be.  I think Lanning is great and I love the more aggressive and unpredictable offense, but there is a lot to solve before next year.

Wanted to agree by saying "hear, hear" instead of just a quick click on an emoji.

Overall, a fun season and many great plays.

But I'm still not buying a "We want 'Bama" shirt.

It's clear, to me at least, that the world of college football has become much more volatile. Fundamentally, it's down to changes in the way money is distributed. With NIL, the transfer portal, the salaries thrown at coaches, the money no longer stays with the schools and the bowls and the NCAA; it's flowing in part now to players and coaches, which in theory at least, is preferable to me. Now, players and coaches make and change decisions at the drop of a stack of cash, turning around programs in a heartbeat.

Look north at Washington to see that. Look at U$C. This period of change and chaos probably won't last; some structure will evolve to replace the old one. But, for now, if your team is having a good season, cherish it, because it may not last very long. Conversely, snag a few good players from the portal, throw big money at a new coach, and Bob's your uncle. I guess that, at least, we won't have years of the same 4-6 teams always at the top.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:50 AM, 47sgs said:

Great point, but Nix was just part of the new qb equation. You recruit the 5* and bring in a transfer. The transfer and 5* battle it out and you have another strong qb. 

How many programs were successful with their qb recruit, and how many were successful on the back of a transfer? As much as I hate this trend, the new future, for the elite teams, is the bring in somebody else's qb who is ready to lead.

My bet is next year, if we are successful, a couple of the important cogs to that success will be transfers. This will become the new normal in college football. The real difference in teams is their transfers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm trying hard to have some perspective.  On paper a 9-3 record for a first-year head coach is respectable, especially considering he was just about guaranteed to start 0-1.

I actually predicted 9-3 at the start of the year, going 2-2 in September and dropping another game in November.  I certainly didn't anticipate losing 2 out of our last 3, especially to both the Fuskies and Biebers, in games we should have won.

Once again we have a late-season melt-down going from playoff contender to pretender, embarassed nationally and the program thrown into uncertainty with more coaching changes.

DL's defense has been a huge disappointment, no way to sugar-coat it.  The offense has for the most part been a bright spot, but still unable to finish game-winning drives in our last two losses and now KD is gone anyway.  DL has not improved his game management skills that I can see.  Sure it sucks to settle for a field goal in the red zone, but going for it on fourth and four or five is not the same as going for it on fourth and one.  We take that field goal in the CW and we could have taken the lead on our last drive with a gimme field goal.  Not saying our defense could have held, but at least we could have had the lead for a final stand.

All hindsight of course, but DL cannot stay the course on this one, he has to make some changes.  How he handles this sudden turmoil to finish the season and respond for next year will likely define his tenure at Oregon.

Edited by noDucknewby

Losing to both the Beavs and the Fuskies is unacceptable with the talent that Oregon has-No excuses. Things dont look that bright to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

For your viewing, here is a listing of the records of first year coaches this year. Lanning didn't do badly...

I wish I shared your optimism the “day after” but as others have pointed out I am concerned with our coach’s in-game decision making/not learning from his previous mistakes, a defense that has not shown improvement, the uncertainty surrounding conference alignment/TV payouts, the apparent rise of other programs out West, losing our OC after 1 year and the potential recruiting fall out.

What would Oregon’s record have been this year, if Bo Nix did not decide to transfer to Oregon? 

My guess is that we would have been 4-7:

Georgia – L
Eastern Washington – W
BYU – L
WSU – L
Stanford – W
Arizona – W
UCLA – L
California – W
Washington - L
Utah - L
OSU - L

Bo Nix covered up a lot of issues within the Oregon program that only became apparent to all once he was injured.  I am flabbergasted that Oregon could not field a better defense or one that at least improved as the year went along.  USC ended the season with a better PPG against than Oregon!

I'm not suggesting that Lanning be fired but he has a lot of questions to answer as he enters year 2.  I would be surprised if he had 4-5 years, as some have mentioned, due to PK's desire to win now.

[Perhaps losing to both Washington and Oregon State to finish the year is just going to take some time to get over...]

Edited by OregonDucks
formatting
  • Thumbs Up 1