Duck 68

Transfer Portal: How Many Players Follow Dillingham?

If Kenny Dillingham leaves for Arizona, how many of our players will pack it in and leave with him? 

Thompson seems like a possibility. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not sure, but Dilly doesn't seem to be able to run an offense when considering being a head coach. I would be very suspect leaving Oregon for ASU when he would be needing to actually be a head coach.

We saw a similar scenario with our head coach leaving last year. MariØ started thinking about his next stop and the program went into a tailspin. His next stop has continued that disarray.

Lanning on the other hand pulled off a beautiful ending to his assistant career, and then flourished until his recent difficulties.

If I was a recruit, or player who was improving '1%' at a time, I would go to Oregon or stay put.

My bet is those on the fringe might consider it, but most players are at Oregon for Dan Lanning and the program he is building. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Pretty good chance that Dante Moore flips to Michigan. Oregon still has the fan favorite, 5* out of Az, Ty Thompson. 

This is Dan Lanning's Ducks, not Kenny Dillingham's. Ducks might lose out on a couple,  but most will still be Ducks.

Ducks lost a ton when Mariø bounced, but this staff salvaged the class. Ducks will be fine. 

We will lick out wounds and get better. The next few years will  come with a lot of winning. Ducks will be in the mix for championships soon.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Moore has a better chance at immediate playing time if he sticks with Oregon. Michigan has a Freshman QB who just kicked the snot out of Ohio State yesterday.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Very few of the Ducks who will be in the two deep next year are going to ASU I would think. Why leave a team that was 7 points and two heartbreaking loses short of the playoffs for a total rebuild with the youngest coach in FBS.

Dilly hasn't even hired a staff yet, so players don't even know who the position coaches are - ASU isn't going to pick our roster apart. 

We will lose players to the portal for sure who want more playing time - that's a yearly thing now. 

RBs: Byron Cardwell, Sean Dollars 

WRs: Josh Delgado, Isaah Crocker, Isaiah Brevard

QBs: Ty or Butters

DBs: Daymon David could enter his name again

We could get a surprise of a star player going in the Portal looking for NIL money.

Troy Franklin could enter the portal to work an NIL deal with us or another team. The Portal and NIL is now free agency

• Thumbs Up 4

Dante Moore: Good wishes for Dilly

• Go Ducks! 1

This was posted after Dante's State Championship game played on Saturday night.

He would've known of the Dillingham news by then, though I am presuming...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would imagine the primary type of player who might travel with Dillingham would be guys who didn't get featured in the offense a ton who think they'll have better opportunities at ASU - largely backup skill players.  Guys already getting a lot of run probably see no reason to change a good thing.  

And I would expect some of those guys to leave any way, ASU or otherwise.

This may affect some recruits for whom Dilly was the primary recruiter - no idea who those were.

Also may get some guys who want to travel with the new OC coming in.  

Heck, college football team rosters are a crapshoot anymore, so who knows?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2022 at 7:22 AM, Duck 68 said:

If Kenny Dillingham leaves for Arizona, how many of our players will pack it in and leave with him? 

Very few... IMHO.

The delta between Oregon and ASU is massive. And ASU is a disaster zone with significant sanctions looming.

And with all due respect to Dillingham, he is certainly nowhere near a Lincoln Riley, nor is ASU remotely comparable to USC.

For these reasons, and many more, I think few kids are going to follow Dillingham to Tempe.

• Whew! 1

ASU is a mess... And Oregon has an strong NIL program for the average player right now. 

I don't see really any players on the current roster decide to leave and go to ADU. At least starter quality players. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Isn't Ty from Arizona? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dante Moore, Oregon Ducks 5-star quarterback pledge, responds to Kenny Dillingham's departure

While Moore remains committed to Oregon, Dillingham's departure will only add fuel to the fire, as he was Moore's primary recruiter.

Frankly, it would be surprising if several programs didn't at least reach out to Moore in the coming weeks

to feel out the situation in the lead-up to December's early signing period. 

NEWS.SCOREBOOKLIVE.COM

Fresh off clinching back-to-back state championships, Martin Luther King (Michigan) five-star quarterback Dante Moore has...

On 11/27/2022 at 12:23 PM, OregonDucks said:

Isn't Ty from Arizona? 

This right here.  Being close to family might give him the home support he needs to blossom into the QB people believe he is.  Remember Bo and KD at Auburn.  Change of scenery for Ty would not hurt him, to get a fresh start and close to home.  Best of Luck to the Young man should he decide a change is necessary.

As many who want off a 'sinking ship' I would imagine.  Whether or not this ship called Oregon is sinking is still a matter of conjecture but it certainly appears to be taking on water.

On 11/27/2022 at 4:03 PM, Mic said:

As many who want off a 'sinking ship' I would imagine.  Whether or not this ship called Oregon is sinking is still a matter of conjecture but it certainly appears to be taking on water.

Now this I would politely disagree with as the confidence in Ty's abilities had not been developed enough to show up on the field on game days.  But honestly, this is what Mario got from him too, a bit out of sync, lacking confidence maybe?  He just did not seem engaged when he took the field.  Sometimes it is about fits.  But DL is far from a sinking ship, IMHO.

Could the interview process for KD affected his abilities with Oregon, may have.  DL gave his all to Georgia when he accepted the HC job at Oregon.  I would have expected no less from KD but it would seem the Need at ASU was important and DL understood it.  Does not mean he liked it, I am sure it put him in a pickle but he did not stand in KD's way.  You have to respect that as a coach looking to better life for yourself and family.  And really, that is the way it has been all over CFB.

Room for growth with Coach Lanning but I bet he gets Oregon sailing again, with better hands, coaching and playing.  Judge him against the last two HC of Oregon along with Former FSU now Texas A&M coach.  FAU fired Willy Taggart after three season, after FSU let him go after nearly two season.  Miami fans have buyer remorse after an underwhelming first season of Mario.  And T a&m is questioning the abilities of Jimbo Fisher.  We could be a lot worse thank the Might Men of Oregon though.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

CDL has commented in the past that he had built a contact list of potential assistants well before being offered the Oregon position. (No, I don't have a link, although some consider me a "Missing Link")

Given that, I would suspect that Lanning probably has been in contact with a few possibilities already.

• Like 1

If I was a great player at ASU, I'd be out of there regardless of who the coaches are.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:25 AM, woundedknees said:

CDL has commented in the past that he had built a contact list of potential assistants well before being offered the Oregon position. (No, I don't have a link, although some consider me a "Missing Link")

Given that, I would suspect that Lanning probably has been in contact with a few possibilities already.

Since Lanning has known about this for awhile, I'm pretty sure he has already contacted the number one guy on this list and he's been a "quite commit" until the deal is done. I think he promotes in house, keeps offensive continuity and brings in a real QB guru.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:35 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Since Lanning has known about this for awhile, I'm pretty sure he has already contacted the number one guy on this list and he's been a "quite commit" until the deal is done. I think he promotes in house, keeps offensive continuity and brings in a real QB guru.

He needs to be careful not to run afoul of state hiring practices.  Doesn't the job need to be posted for a period of time prior to an offer?

The warm weather in Phoenix looks very inviting.  Thompson will go, he is from Phoenix.  Expect the RB coach to go too along with several RB's and Offensive Players.  Dilly is a player's coach and fantastic recruiter.  Expect him to take several Ducks and Duck commits.  The future is bright for Dilly and the ASU program, no question.   The ASU NIL (Name,Image,and Likeness) money for athletes got a big boost during the Dilly indroduction:

image.thumb.png.e0a5ecbfc2f6b0d0deed5d0b17aa0ebb.png

• Wow 1

The scenario Disco Duck explains above is another example of the NFLing of college football.  Reading it I began to think of ASU as an expansion team picking players from an expansion draft. In this example it makes sense for the player as they will be getting time on the field.

Don't take any important pieces, Dilly. Unless you want to be known in Eugene as Dilly the rat.  

Now that college football features revolving rosters I have no doubt we can find able replacements. Seriously, who the hell in Duck Land isn't absolutely in love with Bucky Irving right now?  Barring one almost unfortunate slide, Whittington has endeared himself to us, especially the latter half of the season.

We're gonna be fine. Even if we loose Dante Moore I don't feel like the sky is falling.  I think coach Lanning learned a lot this season. The one thing I'm hoping he takes to heart is something Dillingham was asked in an interview this season. Asked who are the best coaches, Dillingham replied, "The least stubborn." 

We've seen coach Lanning embrace the Oregon History by inviting it into his regime.  I hope he knows Dyer was down even though we'd been pushed around all night and didn't deserve to win that game.  I hope he's still as perplexed as I am as to why Oregon managed to knock Ohio State on it's ass, score a touchdown, stop them with a devastating defense and then play the rest of the game as if we didn't know how.  I hope he knows how many times we've been so close to glory only to have Oregon.......Oregon!!!........done in by, of all things, a tree.........I hope he's seen both the fake Statue of Liberty and the real one, each run for a touchdown. These are the places we'd like him to take us to.

And finish the job.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/28/2022 at 9:35 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Dan Lanning has been very organized in his hiring of staff.  To know this may have been going on since Herm Edwards was released by ASU on September 18, 2022.  I am shocked.  Yet I can not imagine Dan Lanning getting in the way of his OC, who says Dan, there is this Opening I seriously want a chance at, 3 weeks into the season. . . .

Dan Lanning understands what a Life Changing experience it is. Kenny Dillingham has a chance to go back to his and his wife's family and friends, truly going home.  In this business of College Football, Schools ask a lot of their staff, time, effort and sacrifice, time away from family, for the team.  Should Oregon take care of the  coaches,  DL will take care of the job at Oregon.

Oregon finished the regular season 9-3.  There was this chance, had the ball bounced the right way to be 11-1.  In my mind, That would have been the GREATEST BONUS ever for the DUCKS!  But in reality, this season has been such an impressive First Year for Dan Lanning.  You just have to be excited for what is coming in year Two and the future of Oregon Ducks Football.  Go DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1