Coach Eric Boles

Interesting Similarities Between Lanning and...

While I understand the disappointment to the end of the season, but some of the sentiment floating around out there is insane.

So I took a look at some older articles, and some similarities popped up that were pretty interesting. 

Anyway, I think it was pretty good first season for Coach Lanning, and I’m very optimistic about the future. 

SYNDICATION.BLEACHERREPORT.COM

The first season for head coach Kirby Smart at Georgia was like a roller coaster that comes to a screeching...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

@Coach Eric Boles. I’d love to see an analysis of the last three games by someone who has the training and skill to tell us "what the ‘blank’ just happened?"

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree Coach, this was an exciting season. More ups than downs. Some painful lessons........

Hopefully, DL and staff learn and grow from this difficult finish to the season. Closing out against 3 ranked teams with a combined record of like 28-8. (Might be off a little) That's a tall task for a first year HC and staff.

But for a few coaching miscues and some monumental defensive meltdowns this team should be 11-1 and heading to the title game.

The future will be ever shifting but very bright. 

• Thumbs Up 2

GREAT article, and the timing is perfect as that is what I and others needed.  Thanks Coach!

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Eric great flashback article.

Lanning did talk about watering the bamboo and it taking five years to grow. Ducks have started out with a pretty good record for his first year, so growth and improvement from that watering should yield good results.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If Lanning can rally his team from this devastating loss (and Dillingham's leaving) and win whatever bowl game they get then O still has a chance to finish with a 10-win season.  That's something.  In fact, that's more than just something - for a 1st year coach.  

I wonder if Bo Nix, should he decide to play out his last year of eligibility, would consider leaving for ASU to continue under Dilly?

Edited by Mic

On 11/27/2022 at 9:22 PM, Mic said:

If Lanning can rally his team from this devastating loss (and Dillingham's leaving) and win whatever bowl game they get then O still has a chance to finish with a 10-win season.  That's something.  In fact, that's more than just something - for a 1st year coach.  

I wonder if Bo Nix, should he decide to play out his last year of eligibility, would consider leaving for ASU to continue under Dilly?

I would hope (desperately hope) that if Bo decided to come back, he would remember the love the Duck fans have for him and stay here with us.  I'd certainly be first in line to renew my season tickets if he came back...I mean, I'll be in line anyway...but I'd be first!!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had posited to one of my fellow civil war revelers that aside from Georgia, no one had beaten Oregon this year besides Oregon. I stand by that statement especially after this game.

Much has been written about growing pains and learning curves. But I'm just not sure I agree with those assessments............

Coach Lanning is a riverboat gambler. I hope that doesn't change.  The call to go for it, or not, I believe falls with the HC.  What play to run when you're going for it, one would assume, is going to come from the OC.  Don't want to seem like I'm throwing Dillingham under the bus now that he's flown off for what could not possibly be greener pastures in the desert. They don't have any water there...........

It's undeniable that Lanning has the same edge as Chip Kelly. Keep the boot on your throat when we have you down. Perfect.

Perhaps with a capable punter and special teams that are actually special, different decisions will be made.  

Our future, while now decidedly murkier that just a few days before, would still seem quite bright.............

On 11/27/2022 at 9:22 PM, Mic said:

While the losses to two of Oregon's Top Rivals may seem devastating to some.  I would counter that fans should be overjoyed.  Oregon hired a young First time Head Coach that assembled a completely New Staff, Scheme whose players adapted to, so well.  Dan Lanning and team out performed two previous Veteran Head Coaches and their veteran staff.  Willy Taggart first regular season as HC at Oregon 2017,  7-5, Slick W split for FSU before the loss at the Redbox Bowl.  Mario Cristobal first regular season as HC at Oregon 2018, 8-4, Hurricane Mario would coach four years at Oregon finishing with a 36-12 record.

I too am saddened that they lost the lightning in the bottle but even with Dillingham departing, I am excited to see what this young open minded Coach pulls out of his hat!  Has he made mistakes, Yes and he has owned them.  Does he gamble when he should play conservative, Yes, but it is to show his faith in his coaches and players.  Go Ducks.  

• Thumbs Up 2

There is NO way Bo goes to ASU, if he decides to continue his college career. ASU is a bowl team next year at best. 7-5. Oregon will have a 2nd year HC and an even better roster with more kids getting used to DL and his vision. While a real possibility of regression is possible, the opposite is true as well. Oregon has all the tools to be the PAC champion next year. With Bo of course.

The list of coaches who have struggled in their first year was telling. Not just Smart, but Saban at Alabama in his first year there, and Meyer at Florida. 

My take was always a Rose Bowl win would be the highest Lanning could rise in his first season. The key there is I want a bowl game win. That is still possible.

The idea this young team should have gone to the playoff was wishful thinking. We would have been slaughtered 8-9 out of 10 times in a playoff game this season. 

The slow build is what we should expect, and we should support Coach Lanning on that journey. I know I am all in with where he is taking us. Failure is just part of the learning process.

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems much more likely to me that TT would follow KD back to his home state than it would for Bo to transfer again.

If Moore stays true, our QB room would be strong and Butters might get his chance. 

On 11/28/2022 at 7:23 AM, Haywarduck said:

The list of coaches who have struggled in their first year was telling. Not just Smart, but Saban at Alabama in his first year there, and Meyer at Florida. 

My take was always a Rose Bowl win would be the highest Lanning could rise in his first season. The key there is I want a bowl game win. That is still possible.

The idea this young team should have gone to the playoff was wishful thinking. We would have been slaughtered 8-9 out of 10 times in a playoff game this season. 

The slow build is what we should expect, and we should support Coach Lanning on that journey. I know I am all in with where he is taking us. Failure is just part of the learning process.

Mostly agree here, although personally I'm a little snake-bitten by our former coach who was incapable of adapting to changing circumstances.  A lot of us were hoping for a return to a bit of stability (perhaps naively), now going into year two we're already losing our best coordinator, most likely our QB with no apparent replacement and major question marks on defense and special teams.

Despite our relatively weak non-conference schedule next year, a regression is certainly possible with us having to play Utah and the Fuskies on the road, plus USC.  No point in deluding ourselves, the P12 is getting better and next year is going to be a tough one IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2022 at 11:38 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

Perhaps with a capable punter and special teams that are actually special, different decisions will be made.  

I yearn for the day that special teams are indeed positively special.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/28/2022 at 7:10 AM, 1Funduck said:

There is NO way Bo goes to ASU

Agreed... There's not a snowballs chance in hades that Bo would be insane enough to consider transfering to the dumpster fire known as ASU.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 7:50 AM, LB48 said:

It seems much more likely to me that TT would follow KD back to his home state than it would for Bo to transfer again.

If Moore stays true, our QB room would be strong and Butters might get his chance. 

This actually makes a lot of sense as TT has been snakebit here and would benefit from a fresh start closer to home. Much more likely than ASU flipping Moore from Oregon.

I would still anticipate Nix opts for the draft, particularly if his ankle is healed enough for a good showing in whatever bowl the Ducks are invited to. I predict Butterfield stays and depending on the new OC, Oregon yet again dips into the transfer portal for a QB. 

On 11/27/2022 at 11:38 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

Much has been written about growing pains and learning curves. But I'm just not sure I agree with those assessments............

Thanks for some greatly needed perspective Eric. 

While inexperience can become too easy an excuse for poor performance,  I still feel any first-time head coach who lacks any working knowledge of the league he is about to do battle in is at a great disadvantage when it comes to understanding the unique nature of what it’s going to take to win those inches and seconds in that league’s biggest rivalry games.

Understanding the focus required from similar situations in another league certainly helps, but it’s only by experiencing the distinct nature of these new emotionally-charged rivalries that instills in a new head coach what it’s going to take and how to prepare. 

Lanning will get there, but you don’t walk into Washington or Oregon State games for the first time knowing what to expect.