The Kamikaze Kid

Who's On Lanning's OC Short List?

When Lanning first got hired, he said he had been preparing for that moment for years. He said he had developed a list of potential assistants before he was ever offered a job. He seems like a one step ahead type of guy and he has seen this coming for a few weeks now.

He seems to prefer working with people he has built relationships with in the past. Anyone have any insight who he may have worked with in the past that may be OC potential? It has also been proposed on another post that he may keep things in house to retain the same system.

Thoughts?

No idea on his past relationships but it will be interesting to see who calls the plays in the bowl game. I wonder if that might play into his decision? 

Dazed is doing research, and will have an article about candidates in the morning for us all!

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mark Helfrich!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2022 at 11:05 AM, PittDuck said:

Mark Helfrich!

At least he wouldn't be up for the next HC job opening. 😀

• Thumbs Up 1

Will be Junior Adams he's the co offensive coordinator now and the guys love him, he has some experience and he kinda knows dilly system now he is a must keep for Lanning

• Thumbs Up 2

Here are some names I think are possibly in the mix.

Outside hire:

Joey Halzle - Tennessee QB coach (Previously QB coach at UCF) - downside, never called plays before - upside, he knows how to develop QB's

Ben Arbuckle - Western Kentucky Co-Offensive Coordinator/QB coach - downside, limited experience - upside, player development and he could be stable for awhile

Brian Ellis - SMU Offensive Coordinator/QB coach (Previously offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky) - downside, mixed results including under Clay Helton - upside he's called plays before

Inside hire:

Adrian Klemm -  Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator (Previous O-line coach w/ Steelers) - downside, never called plays before - upside, ELITE recruiter and program continuity

Junior Adams - Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers (Previous WR coach at Washington) - downside, never called plays before and might lose Klemm - upside, good amount of experience including offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky

The decision needs to balance needs of the full program and DL isn't likely to be able to call plays for the offense (nor would he be interested).  If Klemm or Adams get the job it's a risk on the play calling but that could be mitigated by hiring Brian Ellis as the new QB coach and putting him in the booth to coordinate play calling through Adams or Klemm on the sideline.

I think for the program Oregon really needs to get the QB coach right and quickly or we could lose Moore and in general QB development has a huge impact on the program's trajectory.

If I was in the room I would take a long hard look at hiring Klemm as the OC and giving Adams the play calling job.  That gives both a huge carrot to stay with the program.  Then I would hire Arbuckle as the devoted QB coach and have DL encourage the offensive staff to coach cooperatively.

It's entirely possible however that KD takes some of the staff with him.  I could see him hiring Junior Adams as his offensive coordinator at ASU. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Will Stein, co-offensive coordinator and QB coach at UTSA, may be an off the radar name to keep an eye on.  UTSA's offensive looks similar to what Oregon ran this year and UTSA ranked in the top 10 for points per possession, which we know is a stat important to Lanning.  UTSA's QB may have one more year of eligibility remaining.  Stein played QB for Louisville from 2008-12.

This offense would be a great fit for Moore, IMHO. 

WWW.MYSANANTONIO.COM

This is the second straight season a UTSA coach has landed on the 40 Under 40. Running...

Edited by OregonDucks
expanded
  • Thumbs Up 1

With KD leaving, can we expect a loss of the much touted offensive recruits fire power, QB, WR, TE?  I would think that the OL coach keeps his peeps but what ever happens, there is always the Portal.  The portal gives you players with experience with a college team, that has a strength building year in them ready for tutelage and reps.  My hope is that DL, has an OC that will keep those players onboard.  We shall see.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:05 AM, PittDuck said:

Mark Helfrich!

So...... I don't think this would pass the Phil Knight test.  Helfrich is a broadcaster and while he took an offensive coordinator job in the NFL it didn't go well and he was let go.  I personally really like Helfrich but outside of the "He's a native Oregonian" I don't see how this could work for either side.

I think any of the "hire an Oregon alum" names are a bad move for a program of Oregon's caliber.  

I think Oregon could easily entice experienced OC's into the job from smaller schools, recent coaching changes, etc.  The problem with hiring an experienced OC is it dramatically increases the odds of losing your OC to an outside HC job if they are successful. 

KD is a pretty dumb hire for the ASU job if you ask me.  I like KD and I want him to succeed at ASU but I think he's not ready and its not going to go well.  I think the firing of Edwards and KD's success at Oregon made this happen this year and that 9/10 times KD wouldn't have gone to a HC position after 1 year of calling plays.

DL could hire an extremely experienced OC but can they recruit?  Will they stay for a few years?  Losing KD is bad luck and the next hire should hopefully give us continuity for the Dante Moore years.   

On one of the other threads about this topic I threw out Helfrich and David Shaw. 

I doubt either will be interviewed but I think both could be good. Though I'm not sure on Shaw's QB coaching credentials. 

On 11/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

KD is a pretty dumb hire for the ASU job if you ask me.  I like KD and I want him to succeed at ASU but I think he's not ready and its not going to go well.  I think the firing of Edwards and KD's success at Oregon made this happen this year and that 9/10 times KD wouldn't have gone to a HC position after 1 year of calling plays.

Have to agree with you and Mr. Fishduck . . . Kenny Dillingham has been a revelation as an OC for the Ducks this year: the "fun", high-scoring, efficient Oregon offense is, for the most part, back.  Sure, he made some poor play calls situationally at times, but he would be a keeper at Oregon as OC, if he wanted to stay.  

After hearing him interviewed, I cannot imagine what ASU is thinking hiring him as a HC at his young age, and with his lack of HC experience.  He does not seem to be ready to make the next step, and it seems likely he will fail . . . he could do with several more years of OC "seasoning" . . . but hey, when your alma mater comes calling, and breaks out "an offer you can't refuse" (see Mario C.), whatcha gonna do?

Good luck to you KD, you're gonna need it.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:00 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Dazed is doing research, and will have an article about candidates in the morning for us all!

giphy.gif

The article is done and it's from my perspective of what the program needs - but with a few sprinkles for those who like those kind of things.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:17 AM, Duckman1 said:

Will be Junior Adams he's the co offensive coordinator now and the guys love him, he has some experience and he kinda knows dilly system now he is a must keep for Lanning

No. I already answered this on another thread. Adams had his play calling duties pulled after year one of his two year run as and OC. That's a red-flag.

We can hire his old HC who took back the play calling duties Mike Sanford who was the Colorado OC this year and took over when they fired Dorrell. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 11/27/2022 at 12:41 PM, DazeNconfused said:

No. I already answered this on another thread. Adams had his play calling duties pulled after year one of his two year run as and OC. That's a red-flag.

I didn't realize that about Adams. 

Shouldn't that red flag been considered with the Tosh hiring or was his recruiting ability worth the risk?

On 11/27/2022 at 12:56 PM, OregonDucks said:

I didn't realize that about Adams. 

Shouldn't that red flag been considered with the Tosh hiring or was his recruiting ability worth the risk?

I'm working on an article about this today. Tosh had Lanning backing him up so it wasn't a full stop red-flag on Tosh.

G.J. Kinne, UIW

On 11/27/2022 at 1:00 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I'm working on an article about this today. Tosh had Lanning backing him up so it wasn't a full stop red-flag on Tosh.

LOL.  It sounds like you have plenty to write about...

I look forward to reading your articles.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:02 PM, OregonDucks said:

Will Stein, co-offensive coordinator and QB coach at UTSA, may be an off the radar name to keep an eye on.

You called it!

247SPORTS.COM

According to Matt Zenitz of On3.com, Oregon is expected to hire UTSA's Will Stein as its offensive coordinator following the departure of Kenny Dillingham to Arizona State.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:37 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

You called it!

247SPORTS.COM

According to Matt Zenitz of On3.com, Oregon is expected to hire UTSA's Will Stein as its offensive coordinator following the departure of Kenny Dillingham to Arizona State.

LOL. I guess I’m the future we should just look at the points per possession leaders to find out whom our future coordinators will be. This is a stat that is important to Dan Lanning or perhaps he just read my post on OBD!

If it’s the later, I will take some season box seats as my referral fee...