Ktmguy2018

New OC? I Have a Name:

Joey Harrington. 

He LOVES the Ducks, he studies film like an IRS tax auditor looking over Martha Stewart's books, he is connected with the school, alumni, and Mr. Phil.

I am/have always been a huge fan of Harrington and when I listen to him break down an offensive scheme, HE GETS it.  I think he would also be an incredible recruiter!  

So, I've thrown out the name.... let the fun begin!!  And be gentle...I'm sensitive.  😀

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles
  • Oh no! 2
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Yeah, Joey knows how to call it.  Let's bring in Justin Wilcox!

• Haha 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/27/2022 at 11:20 AM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Yeah, Joey knows how to call it.  Let's bring in Justin Wilcox!

Well, I'm not saying he's perfect....😂😂😂

That would depend heavily on what DL thinks of Joey's virtually complete lack of meaningful experience as a coach... No shade. 

I love Joey, but we need someone who understands how to form and strengthen young players, in cooperation with the rest of the staff.

Whoever Dan Lanning thinks will work, end of story. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I believe Harrington wanted to hire Justin Wilcox as head coach.

So, I say no thanks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here are two names... I think neither are going anywhere but I would love to see what they could do. 

Mark Helfrich: every year we have this discussion when there is an OC spot open. The guy can identify QB talent (Mariota and Herbert) and is a good QB coach when he is focused on that job. See Darron Thomas and Marcus Mariota.

He isn't the strongest recruiter but to be blunt he can build relationships and he doesn't need to be the HC and be in charge of recruiting for the whole operation. That and NIL does change the game a lot with recruiting. 

I feel Helfrich is unlikely due to some bad blood with Mullens probably and he seems pretty happy with his current home and work balance. 

David Shaw: will he go down a level to an OC position? Unlikely, but he is a smart coach and it would be fun to see what he could do with Oregon's roster. I also think Shaw was beaten down by trying to be competitive at Stanford with both hands and one leg tied behind his back. He might want something "easier" for a few years. 

He is much older than Lanning which would also give Lanning some much needed expirence in the room but also Shaw has shown aggressive play calling in the past which does mesh with what Lanning seems to want to do... Stanford of a decade ago would go for 4th and one in a heartbeat and get it. 

I think both of these coaches are solid picks... But I don't think either would get an interview to be honest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think who ever is at the top of that list Lanning says he keeps, is going to be the guy. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's article by Dazed that will break down this question.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:30 PM, David Marsh said:

Here are two names... I think neither are going anywhere but I would love to see what they could do. 

Mark Helfrich: every year we have this discussion when there is an OC spot open. The guy can identify QB talent (Mariota and Herbert) and is a good QB coach when he is focused on that job. See Darron Thomas and Marcus Mariota.

He isn't the strongest recruiter but to be blunt he can build relationships and he doesn't need to be the HC and be in charge of recruiting for the whole operation. That and NIL does change the game a lot with recruiting. 

I feel Helfrich is unlikely due to some bad blood with Mullens probably and he seems pretty happy with his current home and work balance. 

David Shaw: will he go down a level to an OC position? Unlikely, but he is a smart coach and it would be fun to see what he could do with Oregon's roster. I also think Shaw was beaten down by trying to be competitive at Stanford with both hands and one leg tied behind his back. He might want something "easier" for a few years. 

He is much older than Lanning which would also give Lanning some much needed expirence in the room but also Shaw has shown aggressive play calling in the past which does mesh with what Lanning seems to want to do... Stanford of a decade ago would go for 4th and one in a heartbeat and get it. 

I think both of these coaches are solid picks... But I don't think either would get an interview to be honest. 

Helfrich?  lol  Shaw?

U see how the avg college offense is today??  lol

They are dinosaurs.  We would be looking at trying to get 28 points every week

I couldn't stand Stanford's slow read-option offensive this year.  It was painful to watch.

Shaw seems like a great guy but no thank you.  It would be great for the Pac-12 to hire him into some role.  He has been a great ambassador for the conference. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No disrespect, but thumbs down on Shaw, b-o-o-r-r-r-i-i-ing.  

I don't see Helf fitting in as an OC, but maybe as a special analyst/QB coach?  He's got a ton of football knowledge and he's financially set, so maybe he'd be interested in a lower stress coaching job?  Just speculating here.

On 11/27/2022 at 1:01 PM, noDucknewby said:

I don't see Helf fitting in as an OC, but maybe as a special analyst/QB coach? 

The problem is the NCAA restrictions on who can actually work with the players.  Many (most, all?) analyst positions cannot.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:30 PM, David Marsh said:

I think Shaw would be a great choice.

7 candidates to replace Kenny Dillingham as offensive coordinator for the Ducks

There are some familiar names and some names no one has suggested...What do you think?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Who takes over at OC now for the Ducks? Will it be an in-house promotion or an outside hire? We came up with a few candidates...

On 11/27/2022 at 2:29 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

7 candidates to replace Kenny Dillingham as offensive coordinator for the Ducks

There are some familiar names and some names no one has suggested...What do you think?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Who takes over at OC now for the Ducks? Will it be an in-house promotion or an outside hire? We came up with a few candidates...

Joe Brady would be a no brainer but I wonder how he would feel about working for a younger head coach.  Not too long ago his name was being thrown around for some big time jobs.

I would prefer to see Oregon hire someone with previous OC experience, even if he is from a smaller school.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:17 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Joey Harrington. 

He LOVES the Ducks, he studies film like an IRS tax auditor looking over Martha Stewart's books, he is connected with the school, alumni, and Mr. Phil.

I am/have always been a huge fan of Harrington and when I listen to him break down an offensive scheme, HE GETS it.  I think he would also be an incredible recruiter!  

So, I've thrown out the name.... let the fun begin!!  And be gentle...I'm sensitive.  😀

Never crossed my mind. I love the idea.

What's the point?  If whoever they hire does well, they'll likely leave for another team as soon as another opening comes along.  A pattern is establishing itself here and fans had ought to look closely at why Oregon can't keep their coaches when other schools can.  Is there a toxic environment here or is Oregon just seen by the rest of the FBS as a stepping stone program for personal advancement?

Edited by Mic

On 11/27/2022 at 2:36 PM, Mic said:

A pattern is establishing itself here and fans had ought to look closely at why Oregon can't keep their coaches when other schools can. 

I suspect recruiting plays a part.  Oregon has a national approach which translates to weeks on the road, especially when you start from a small town on the west coast.  I'm sure all the time away from family is a hardship.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:51 PM, McDuck said:

I suspect recruiting plays a part.  Oregon has a national approach which translates to weeks on the road, especially when you start from a small town on the west coast.  I'm sure all the time away from family is a hardship.

I imagine Kenny D will be criss-crossing the country before the ink is even dry on his new ASU contract.  As the team is situated right now they need a lot of help and either he finds what he needs in the transfer portal (maybe he gets Donte Moore to change commits from O to ASU) or he starts getting the best recruits he can find, fast. 

I really don't know if any team in the CFB can be successful recruiting without all the time and effort put into it like O has.  Maybe Alabama, USC, Ohio St, Michigan and such can just sit back and wait for recruits to call but not O or ASU or the rest of the 120+ remaining schools out there.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, nw777b said:

Never crossed my mind. I love the idea.

Somehow, Joey Harrington has never struck me as the type to coach, at least not at the H.C or O.C. position.  QB's coach, perhaps.  But then, I never thought Johnathan Smith would be successful at OSU either and he's certainly proven a lot of people wrong there.  Imagine if Smith had the same recruits Oregon has right now?  !!

On 11/27/2022 at 3:56 PM, Mic said:

I really don't know if any team in the CFB can be successful recruiting without all the time and effort put into it like O has.  Maybe Alabama, USC, Ohio St, Michigan and such can just sit back and wait for recruits to call but not O or ASU or the rest of the 120+ remaining schools out there.

It all boils down to proximity to recruits.  Most schools with legitimate CFP aspirations are close to fertile recruiting grounds.  Their coaches may be one the road overnight or a couple nights.  At Oregon they often are gone several days at a stretch.  It has an impact on their family life and, IMO, leads to coaching turnover.

As I remember when Oregon recruited primarily regionally they had a long tenured staff.  They could fly to LA, spend two days visiting recruits and only be gone one night.  Now they are often lucky to get home for the weekend.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:36 PM, Mic said:

What's the point?  If whoever they hire does well, they'll likely leave for another team as soon as another opening comes along.  A pattern is establishing itself here and fans had ought to look closely at why Oregon can't keep their coaches when other schools can.  Is there a toxic environment here or is Oregon just seen by the rest of the FBS as a stepping stone program for personal advancement?

Turnover happens man.. Saban had had an army of OCs at bama. Sark, Kiffin and Obrien of last. Applewhite, Drabol,.. thats five that i can think of and im sure there are more

• Thumbs Up 2

How about this guy ... 

WKUSPORTS.COM

WKU announced the hiring of Zach Kittley as the team's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Dec. 14, 2020. One of the great young minds in the gam...

• Thumbs Up 1

Be interesting to get Whittington's take on him.

I have thought that Brennan Marion was one of the most interesting offensive minds since I read this story some time ago. I wondered what happened to him and where he was but didn't have the time to investigate. Also don't have the time to look into the Longhorn passing statistics for this season.

He's listed in the article that Pennsylvania Duck has posted above, but not one of the favorites.

Reminds me of Chip Kelly.........

FTW.USATODAY.COM

How an offense marrying modern spread looks with old-school option plays is changing football.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, OregonDucks said:

I couldn't stand Stanford's slow read-option offensive this year.  It was painful to watch.

Shaw seems like a great guy but no thank you.  It would be great for the Pac-12 to hire him into some role.  He has been a great ambassador for the conference. 

I'm not suggesting Shaw would be good for Oregon, or that Shaw would consider it, 

But Shaw worked with what Stanford could recruit. Which was rather limited. 

Edited by Desert Duck

Has Joey coached anything before... I mean other than maybe middle or high school?

Edited by Desert Duck

How about this guy?

• Oh no! 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:40 AM, McDuck said:

How about this guy?

I feel like the Duck O this year was light years ahead of Arroyo's Ducks with Herbert.

Arroyo's win/loss record since leaving Oregon is bad.

I'd like to hear compelling reasons, though.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:52 AM, nw777b said:

I feel like the Duck O this year was light years ahead of Arroyo's Ducks with Herbert.

The "question" was completely tongue in cheek.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Nick Rolovich was a qb, & OC and coach in College & NFL.

I think Junior Adams will end up getting it.  He is killing it in recruiting, he knows what Lanning wants to do, and he has the receiver group playing like all-stars.  That keeps continuity and a similar offensive mindset.  

Adams has been an OC at Western Kentucky and was very good there.  While he was OC, the Hilltoppers led Conference USA and ranked 7th nationally in passing offense at 335.0 yards/game.  They also ranking eighth in the nation in completion percentage at 66%. They passed for 4,177 yards and finished second in passing touchdowns with 25.  All three of their starting receivers finished in the top-15 in the league in receiving yards.

That means I think we are ultimately looking for another coach to help him with the receiver group.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:52 AM, nw777b said:

I mentioned this in another thread.  I feel like Arroyo didn't do a half-bad job now that we know Mario's insistence on interfering with offensive schemes on and off the field, plus there was a distinct dearth of receiver talent at that time.  I think he'd do a ton better calling plays when having both a talented QB like Nix AND receivers like Franklin, Thornton, Ferguson, Matavao...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 1:04 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I think Junior Adams will end up getting it.  He is killing it in recruiting, he knows what Lanning wants to do, and he has the receiver group playing like all-stars.  That keeps continuity and a similar offensive mindset.  

Adams has been an OC at Western Kentucky and was very good there.  While he was OC, the Hilltoppers led Conference USA and ranked 7th nationally in passing offense at 335.0 yards/game.  They also ranking eighth in the nation in completion percentage at 66%. They passed for 4,177 yards and finished second in passing touchdowns with 25.  All three of their starting receivers finished in the top-15 in the league in receiving yards.

That means I think we are ultimately looking for another coach to help him with the receiver group.  

I think this makes a certain amount of sense.  Using the same system and coaches sans KD could possibly sway Nix's decision to return.  Also in my personal experience, hiring from within yields better returns and is good for morale.

I doubt KD sticks around for the bowl game, so DL will probably have to name an interim OC.  If he picks Adams it could be an audtion.  To me it seems unlikely he'll have anyone named by early signing day as advantageous as that could be.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:33 AM, McDuck said:

The "question" was completely tongue in cheek.  

Ahhh, missed the sarcasm...

On 11/28/2022 at 1:11 PM, kirklandduck said:

I mentioned this in another thread.  I feel like Arroyo didn't do a half-bad job now that we know Mario's insistence on interfering with offensive schemes on and off the field, plus there was a distinct dearth of receiver talent at that time.  I think he'd do a ton better calling plays when having both a talented QB like Nix AND receivers like Franklin, Thornton, Ferguson, Matavao...

I agree he would do better...but I'd give the credit more to Herbert and those receivers.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:14 PM, nw777b said:

I agree he would do better...but I'd give the credit more to Herbert and those receivers.

Herbert and the receivers likely would have done better if Arroyo wasn't being chained to that '90s power run offense and overruled by Mario on the field.  Even then, I didn't see a 1000 yard receiver in the bunch.

Edited by kirklandduck

Mailbag Podcast: Who are the candidates for Oregon's Offensive Coordinator?

The Oregon Ducks will need to make an offensive coordinator hire to replace outgoing Kenny Dillingham.

Who are the names to know? Who are the people who will make this decision beyond Dan Lanning?

What's the timeline for Oregon here? Plus, what do we make of Oregon's struggles on defense, the bad play

of special teams, what bowl game could Oregon be going to, and what do we make of Oregon basketball?

Autzen Audibles Podcast with Matt Prehm, Erik Skopil, and Jared Mack...

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon Ducks will need to make an offensive coordinator hire to replace outgoing Kenny Dillingham. Who are the names to...

On 11/27/2022 at 12:52 PM, OregonDucks said:

The slow mesh, they call it.  LOL.  It was entertaining to watch the QB and RB getting hammer by defenses at the same time while they were saying to each other "no, you have the ball, I insist".

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Mic drop 1

Lanning needs to bring in an OC that will stay more than two years if he is also going to be the QB coach. I think that is why the Ducks don't have a reliable backup. I don't think Thompson and Butterfield have had the same QB coach the years they have been at Oregon. Maybe Lanning needs to hire a dedicated QB coach and someone else as the OC. What 4 or 5 star QB recruit wants to come to a University that cannot keep the same QB coach around for longer than 1 or 2 years. If we want reliable starting QBs and backup QBs, they need the same coach year after year to coach them up and help build their skills and confidence. I just hope the Ducks don't lose Dante Moore.

I think Mullens needs to write up stronger contract language that could stipulate a potential OC stick around a little while longer before he doesn't lose money for bolting. None of this "zero percent buyout if he gets a power 5 HC job in his first year". The contract needs to be both enticing to the potential employee but also protect the investor as in any high level business transaction.

Edited by Babyjesus615

David Yost. He was Herbert's first QB coach at Oregon. DY wanted to start JH the first game of his freshman year but was overridden by HC Mark Helfrich. Read his bio: 

FIUSPORTS.COM

Leading the Panthers' staff on the offensive side is David Yost, who owns over 25 years of collegiate

This is a great candidate.  At minimum, he is great for our photographers with his hair...

David Yost in 2016_Gary Breedlove.jpg

Wait a minute....doesn't he look like....

David Yost on right_YouTube.jpg

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

Yost would be an interesting option, assuming Oregon didn't leave a permanent stain on his psyche...

Updated Oregon offensive coordinator Wish List 2.0: Ducks need to move fast

Zachary Neel: Our first initial list of potential candidates to take over as the next offensive coordinator for the Oregon Ducks. There were 7 prospects on the list, two of which were already in-house in Eugene looking for a promotion. I’ve been able to do a lot of research since then, and expand the list.

Through talking with someone close to the situation, it’s become clear that the Ducks are trying to move quickly on this hire. With the transfer portal opening in a matter of days, and the early signing period for recruits coming not long after that, it’s imperative for Oregon to have a plan in place on the offensive side of things so that they can present said plan to recruits and current players in order to reassure them about the future in Eugene.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an announced hire in the coming week.

Check out some interesting new names...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

On Sunday morning, we put out our first initial list of potential candidates to take over as the next offensive coordinator for the...
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whomever O hires, it had better be quick to stop this hemorrhaging of talent and recruits, something I'm sure Mullins and Co. are well aware of.  What a bummer to have to go thru this all over again ...

A few Thoughts.

Former head coach = See ya after another good season.

OC/ Receiver coach = See ya by Junior Adams.

OC with their own system = Relearning a 3rd offense in three years. = Portal storm + unknown results.

I'm pretty sure who ever the new OC is going to be will be one of the top three guys on Lanning's speed dial list.

Barring an OC who's already on a playoff caliber team, I'd bet he could get anybody on that list he wants.

I'm also pretty sure Lanning (and the team) likes this offense and will want someone familiar with it (Someone from the Norvell tree).