Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Boosters Fume as Oregon Ducks Look for Answers

I was shocked that Oregon hired Lanning.  It might work out in the long-run but as the article mentioned Phil Knight is 84 and wants to win now. 

Surprised that UO didn't pony up for a proven HC that could win NOW.

Edited by OregonDucks
typo

I wonder who the deep pocketed boosters wanted Mullins to hire?  With the exception of Lincoln Riley and Kalen DeBoer how many long term home run hires to you see in the list of 2021-22 coaching changes?  

FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

Here's our annual page where you can track all of the NFL and college head coaching movement for the 2021-22 coaching cycle.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2022 at 1:04 PM, McDuck said:

I wonder who the deep pocketed boosters wanted Mullins to hire?  With the exception of Lincoln Riley and Kalen DeBoer how many long term home run hires to you see in the list of 2021-22 coaching changes?  

FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

Here's our annual page where you can track all of the NFL and college head coaching movement for the 2021-22 coaching cycle.

Below are some of the names from the Oregon 2021 coaching search (in no particular order):

Luke Fickell, Cinci

Kalani Sitake, BYU

Chris Peterson

Dave Aranda, Baylor

Urban Meyer

All of the names above are proven HCs.

Edited by OregonDucks
updated

Up until 4 minutes left in the Washington game, I think most alums and donors were pretty happy with the season.  The defense and special teams had been spotty, but the offense unstoppable.  Lanning had made some gutsy calls, some worked, some didn't.

Then it happened.  Our all star QB went down, some questionable calls by coaches and refs occurred, we played with a wimpy QB, and lost 2 of 3 games by a total of 7 points.  We could have, should have, won those two games, but our success lived and died with Bo Nix.

Had Nix stayed healthy and we won those two games, the donor would not be fuming, they wouldn't be down on our new coach, everyone would be estatic.  Going 9-3 , and potentially 11-1 with 9 more points scored sounds like a pretty good season to most people.  No blowout losses.

I still think we have a pretty good coach.  He's smart, has a high football IQ, interacts with everyone well, knows how to recruit, and is a breath of fresh air as a game coach over the last 4 years.  Unfortunately, the season ended poorly, but it was entertaining football, and given time, I think Lanning has the drive to succeed.  Just look at the fuming in Miami if you want to see a dose of depression.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 11/27/2022 at 12:47 PM, OregonDucks said:

I was shocked that Oregon hired Lanning.  It might work out in the long-run but as the article mentioned Phil Knight is 84 and wants to win now. 

Who would you have picked?  

Not a slam question either.  I really had no idea who would be interested enough to deal with the challenge Oregon truly is.

We are a tweener program.  Not blue blood like Tennessee or Penn State, but in their very position.  Taken seriously by opponents, but blue bloods always expect to beat us.

Tucked away in what seems like Alaska or Hawaii.  Still slighted and threatened by the Fuskies.  Who always loom as the team players may go to (besides USC) to keep us where we are.

We always have talent, but building talented depth is what kills us.  How many coaches want that problem, than say revitalizing the Fuskies, USC, Penn State or Tennessee?

Look at this year's team.  A talented bunch that has the ability, but just can't seem to muster the chops to be a blue blood.  

Finally, how many Phil Knight type boosters do we need to sustain this?  Quite honesty, that is the biggest challenge the Oregon program faces. 

How many established coaches want to take up that challenge?  

So, I'm asking honestly and with as much respect as I can put on paper, what established coaches do you think would take on the Oregon challenge?  

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/27/2022 at 1:42 PM, Mike West said:

So, I'm asking honestly and with as much respect as I can put on paper, what established coaches do you think would take on the Oregon challenge?  

This is what I was depressed about last year while the season was sliding...who ARE we going to get?  I could not think of a single proven HC who would leave the gig he had to come to Oregon.  So to me, Lanning was a great hire out of left field.

It sucks to be a "tweener" as Oregon is, but you could be a bottom-feeder school who gets the one great coach taken from you when you finally win.  And now with NIL and the portal, the big schools can take your only great players away as well!

When you are a smaller school...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Some of the high-risk calls in the last two games were head-scratchers for sure.  Attempting a two yard keeper with a hobbled Bo Nix, for example.  Perhaps this is due to the relative inexperience of the HC/OC duo.  If so, that would point toward choosing an OC with more years and reps, who could balance the HC a bit.  While people are quite taken with the early thirties wunderkinds we are seeing these days, there is something to be said for some veteran perspective.   

Edited by TexasDuck

Calm down boosters. You could be in Miami. 

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally, fans and boosters even mega donor boosters can and probably should fume at Mullens. Afterall Mullens elevated MH and gave him a big pay raise. Mullens hired WT and MC. MC was a good hire but he lost the room, both fans and players. Charles makes a good point that last year it was going to be a difficult year to get a proven HC to leave their current gig. Quality assistants were maybe the best options.

But  maybe fans and boosters should not be fuming at Lanning. ......

47sgs makes a solid case that Bo Nix and the O had been unstoppable. Too much success to play call in a conservative fashion. Every reason to believe first downs would be made. It, to me, was a mix of in game decisions that didn't work out. I ask, is that a reason for 2nd quessing or firing a coach? Nobody on that coaching staff told the defense to quit in the 4th quarter or for the linebackers to disappear, too. Some fuming toward player non performance against the Beavs may be warranted.........

DL's body of work is a mixed bag of positives and negatives. But 9-3, with a chance for a 10th win is positive. (Might add DL overachieved some 7-5 and 8-4 pre-season predictions from this very awesome Forum) IMHO its to early to be second guessing the hire of DL. DL is a work in progress that this Forum has praised for integrity and great hires. Second guess in game decisions, ABSOLUTELY..........

Mike West also asks a valid question, who do you think will take the challenge of Oregon and Phil?

Dan Lanning, that's who.....

For me, coaches need 3-5 years to match the players to their scheme and vision. Now if DL and staff dont fix that porous defense or develope quality QB's next year? Then my tune will start to change.

PS: Perhaps the fuming boosters can kick in a few million for NIL so DL and staff can get the players needed thru the portal. Like SC did!

• Thumbs Up 1

A donor that buys a suite before the end of the game...what are they, 32?

Someone needs to watch Christmas Vacation and learn how to sell on Craigslist. 

Can Nike build a shoe that doesn't slip on 4th down on it's home turf?

I have more questions.  I'll stop there. I might be driving.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2022 at 1:42 PM, Mike West said:

Who would you have picked? 

LOL.  If the goal is to win a national championship, Urban Meyer.  He has won everywhere he has been and reportedly has a close relationship with Phil.  Perhaps he would relish the challenge.

Just have the Oregon Governor ban clubs within 100 miles of Eugene and hire someone good in compliance with veto power to follow him around and watch over his shoulder...

I think Lanning is a great hire. He just needs to grow into his head coaching shoes. Stabilize the offense with a solid hire and get the D up to respectable and this is a legit playoff contending team. He made some mistakes, took some unnecessary gambles and took some risky gambles because his D totally fell apart and his punter literally dropped the ball.

I think a big problem we're dealing with is that maybe Mario was more about recruiting star power instead of building cohesive offensive and defensive units. This may be why the collection of defensive talent seems to have way under performed  the last two years while looking impressive on paper.

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

They could have hired Jerry Narron as Accountability Coach for Urban. He did a good job with Josh Hamilton.

I think DL was a good hire and that to win it all you have to have elite talent. He will get the 4/5 star players needed to give the Ducks a chance to succeed and his coaching will improve. Plus I think he is a high integrity person. 

I didn't rent an  $11K suite but did invite an SC friend and his wife over to our house to watch Oregon vs USC. Now stuck providing dinner/wine and listening to how amazing Riley is and that Caleb is going to win the Heisman Trophy. Damn.

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 2

On 11/27/2022 at 1:13 PM, OregonDucks said:

Below are some of the names from the Oregon 2021 coaching search (in no particular order):

Luke Fickell, Cinci

Kalani Sitake, BYU

Chris Peterson

Dave Aranda, Baylor

Urban Meyer

All of the names above are proven HCs.

And all except Sitake turned Oregon down.  Well, not sure they approached Urban with his baggage.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dan Lanning is Oregons head coach. Lanning has shown nothing but to be a man of integrity and dignity. Lanning is the right guy.

He went through some growing pains and took some bad loses his first year as a HC. Now some want his head on a platter? 

So many were screaming from the roof tops that Dan Lanning needs to be loyal to Oregon. Don't know if I am the only one, but I think Ducks should be loyal to DL.

I hope we all pick up our Coach, dust him off and say thank you. It was an exciting year. Ducks were in the convo for a big part of it.

So thanks coach, lets make a few tweaks and giv'em hell next year. Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

Here is a listing of the records of first year coaches. Lanning is near the top.

E7E1F181-B41B-4BC7-B165-325DE79C332C.jpeg.9ab7451c347fee87a3183cd4f0a6a914.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I personally believe that Rob Mullens has done a great job as AD of the University of Oregon and has represented the University well on the national stage.  Glad that we have him as we face the uncertainty surrounding conference realignment and media deals.

Edited by OregonDucks
expanded
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dan Lanning finished his first regular season 9-3.

Most of us predicted a 9-3 record. Unfortunately,  two of those losses came to teams that we feel deep distain for. Teams we counted on winning.

What we need to remember is we lost those games by a total of 7 points. We also must remember the teams we beat. BYU, Utah, UCLA, and a gritty WSU.

As much as this hurts, even knowing we will all be dealing with delusional husky and beaver fans for a full year, I still feel this team is on the rise. The next couple years are going to be a blast to watch. I'm still very proud to be a Duck fan.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It took my 24 hours to recover from that gut punch yesterday, but now I'm back on this great site. (Thankful at the end of this holiday weekend for Charles Fischer's diligence in maintaining this great site.)

Count me among those who feel like we snared a future great one in Coach Dan Lanning. Yeah, the Duck defense was a disappointment this year as they certainly didn't meet my preseason expectations. The offense, though, was a HUGE positive surprise this year. And, despite yesterday's debacle, the special teams were much improved this season compared to the past few.

Really, the offense was unstoppable until Bo hurt his ankle in the Husky game. As far as I'm concerned, if Bo had stayed healthy in that game, the Ducks would've won it. Likewise, with a healthy Bo Nix, I think the Beavers would've been too far behind yesterday to win that game. I bring this up only to point out that the team was on track to securing a possible CFP spot when their most valuable player went down. 

Yesterday, Lanning again gambled and lost on a 4th down in Duck territory.  Both the Husky game and Beaver game 4th down gambles might've gone better with a healthy Bo Nix. Since the Ducks didn't have that in those instances, it's fair to question the wisdom on the call. On the other hand, the Ducks' punt team had a blocked punt and a fumbled punt, so Lanning's confidence in that unit couldn't have been lower. In addition, the Beavers were absolutely gashing the Duck defense with run after run. Thus, I don't think his call to "go for it" was as horrible or illogical as many are making it out to be.

And, as others have said here, recruiting is a key. I'm of the opinion that recruiting is both an art and a science. The science part is what you get with player measurables, accolades and ratings. That's all important. But, there's also the art of recruiting. That's what gets you guys like the Beavers have, who are not 4-star or 5-star guys but still develop into beasts who knock the snot out of you and make great open-field tackles. I think Mario was a master of the science. I have a feeling Dan Lan will be a master of both the science and the art. Time will tell. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The Kamikaze Kid stated, "I think a big problem we're dealing with is that maybe Mario was more about recruiting star power instead of building cohesive offensive and defensive units. This may be why the collection of defensive talent seems to have way under performed  the last two years while looking impressive on paper."

Agree. Coaches Taggart and MC were not skilled at building cohesive units and teams. MC came the closest with his Rose Bowl-winning team. Otherwise, no deals. Coach Lanning and his Coordinators/Asst coaches are working with the talented players they have, but they are still teaching them to play as units and as O, D, and STs.

VR,

KCDuck1

On 11/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think it's fair to question the wisdom of some of Mullens' decisions, in hindsight.  At the time, most of them seemed pretty good.

Helfrich - Before:  bright offensive mind taking over for Chip.  After:  seemed to hit his nadir as an OC - not HC material.

Taggart - Before:  high energy, fantastic recruiter.  After:  don't really need to rehash this disaster.

Cristobal - Before:  loved by the team, keeping a great recruiting class, Alabama pedigree, great recruiter.  After:  not much of an actual coach.

Lanning - Before:  bright young defensive mind, UGA pedigree, national title winner.  After:  tbd

Sure, we probably could have hired someone with HC experience.  Look how well that's worked out for Wisconsin, Arkansas, Texas ATM, ASU...

• Thumbs Up 1

Lanning is receiving much criticism for some fourth down calls. However, I think it was our completely porous defense in the 4th quarter that gave away the game. Had the D showed up just a little, the fourth and one calls would not have mattered. In fact, perhaps the thinking was our D can't stop anything, so we had better try anything to stay on offense. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2022 at 1:47 PM, OregonDucks said:

And who exactly would that have been?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:26 AM, Duck 68 said:

Lanning is receiving much criticism for some fourth down calls. However, I think it was our completely porous defense in the 4th quarter that gave away the game. Had the D showed up just a little, the fourth and one calls would not have mattered. In fact, perhaps the thinking was our D can't stop anything, so we had better try anything to stay on offense. 

The lack of D is absolutely the reason Oregon lost. 

My D IQ is very low. I can't figure out why they seemed to do well vs UCLA and Utah and were a no show vs UW and OSU.

Rising had a bad game. I didn't see anything glaringly wrong with UCLA. 

The D couldn't stop a 3rd string RB at OSU when they knew the run was coming.

Does the above seem like a fair take?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/28/2022 at 8:26 AM, Duck 68 said:

Had the defense been just solid all year, we're talking 11-1 hands down.  A playoff beth, and a shot at redemption at the team that showed OBD what it takes the be a contender, and a champion.